Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Clonodine or Klonopin???? Good or Bad?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Clonodine or Klonopin???? Good or Bad?

I'm headed into Day 6 of my war against subutex.  That is I quit cold, six days ago.  I'm doing EVERYTHING as you folks have advised except that I have not told my family.  It is still rough.  I came across some info about CLONODINE  and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this drug in conjunction with opiate and/or suboxone/subutex withdrawal.  Often people also suggest Klonopin.

Any thoughts?
welcome...I have never taken sub....But have read alot here about it..how many mg. did you stop at?? and how long did you take it...

Clonodine for me was great...But i have low blood pressure already, so i was very carefull...I also took klonopin, to help with sleep...I did not take alot because it is very addicting...Clonodine is not...I hope this helps some!!1
Good luck and congrats on getting your life back!!!
r2r
Why is it so hard for Dr's to perscribe it... Clonodine??
Hey.  I dont have any personal experience with either - I was not ready to talk to my doc when I quit (still am not) but I was asked about it a few times by friends.  I came across the below post from someone who seems to know about it.  I copied and pasted the below and have been referring it to people who have asked me. I dont know if its all true, but it seems on par from everything else I've heard about it.  I have really not heard anything negative about Clonidine, all positive so if you can, you should probably try it.

"Ask the doctor if clonidine is something you can take.  It is a very old, tried and true, non-addictive bp med that compassionate dr.s often prescribe.  You can probably take .1mg after dinner and it will feel like weak valium w/out the addictiveness and danger of an actual benzo.  It's safe and cheap.  Your doctor should have no problem with this unless you have low bp.  It really does take the edge off, help with sleep, and has helped me (during w/d's) to feel calm and ok, sleepy, full nite's sleep w/ no waking, and after a week or so of getting used to it did NOT make me groggy the next day or difficult to get motivated and moving.  IMHO, it's a great supportive non-addictive med for people in withdrawal.  And did I mention cheap?  and it's one drug your doctor will be glad to give you instead of scard to."  

I dropped of at a little less than .5 after a week
how much did u start out at?  and how long were u on the subutex?  I am sorry u r having problems 6 days later after tapering to such a small amount....keep on posting as there is alot of support here
I was on and off hydrocodone for about 3 years never more than 2-3 10s a day.  In january 07 I tapered and went cold turkey. It lasted about 3 months clean when I got hit with a tremendous amount of stress in my life and found myself working late nights.  To keep focused and energized I got back on Hydros.  Then in Oct/ Nov. of 2007  I did some research and found out about subutex.  I seemed to be a miracle drug!!!!! NO WITHDRAWALS!!!!!  ********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well I didn't know that then.   I got on Subutex and it seemed like a miracle drug!!!  It worked just as promised!  I had an easy time getting off hydros with little or no withdrawal effect.  Unfortunately I developed a Subutex habit instead!  Almost a year later (September 25, 2008)  I decided to quit.  I started to taper.  I goT down to a little less than .5 a day for a week from about 1mg the week before.  On October 2, 2008, I jumped off.

The first 4 days were horrible.  In desperation I found this place, set up an account and started posting.  People like RefusingBondage  gave me some hope and some tips.  But the more I learned about this Sub thing the more I realized I was in for long and rough ride.  This Subutex has quite a grip on you (37-hour half-life).

Well today is Day (6) for me.  I rode a bike 7.5 miles this morning at 8:30 am.  I have been doing everything I can think of to make this easier nothing really really works completely.  I STILL FEEL KINDA ****** ALL OVER AND NOW I HAVE AN EVER-PRESENT HEADACHE.  Lots of things work a little,... like:

Exercise
Lots of water
Vitamins
Veggies Fruits
Aminos
Hot baths with scented oils
rest
sex (ENDORPHINS)
IBUFROFEN
dark chocolate
motivating music
crying

But really, this *****.  Getting off  Hydros was rough but for me after 5 or 6 days I was over the worst of it.  Come to think of it it took me 11 days before I was totally okay after hydros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wait a minute!  There's hope, may on day 11 I will be okay this time too!  I hope so....

Problem is,...search this site for subutex withdrawal and you will find that the consensus is that subutex really *****.  Its a good way to get off hydros IF AND ONLY IF YOU STICK TO THE THREE WEEK PROGRAM THEN TAPER AND JUMP OFF!!!!! DON'T GET HOOK ON SUBS!!!!!  As always seek out a good Doctor and take his or her advice. uNFORTUNATELY I didn't realize at the time that the Doctor I went to in Vegas was pretty much just a pill-pusher.....or maybe he just doesn't know how rough Subs can be.... but him and his over-tanned and leathery receptionist just kept telling me to tak your time no rush, let your body heal take as many as you need,....etc.  I am very angry at this so-called practice.  But look,  I'm no Doctor... But I really care about you folks!  Went I had nowhere to go you people gave me solace and courage and some comfort.  I feel obliged to share back for others!

One last thing,...... Clonodine!!!????!!!!???  I have heard that this blood pressure medicine is quite effective in easing withdarwal symptoms without any significant adverse effect.  Is this true?  Can ANYONE tell me anything they know about clonodine????
I didnt realize you cannot curse on this site.  The ****** in my last post were meant to state in relative order :

NOT TRUE
Feel really bad
is bad
is bad
Clonidine, Klonopin, Clonazapam are all the same exact medication
They are not the same thing...Klonopin and Clonazapam are the same but they are in the benzo family and Clonodine is used to treat high blood pressure Clonidine is a direct-acting α2 adrenergic agonist prescribed historically as an antihypertensive agent. It has found new uses, including treatment of some types of neuropathic pain, opioid detoxification, sleep hyperhidrosis, anaesthetic use, and off-label, to counter the side effects of stimulant medications such as methylphenidate or amphetamine. It is becoming a more accepted treatment for insomnia..
klonopin and clonzapam are the same drug. clonidine is used for blood pressure, it is also used for antihypertensive, it has also been known to be used for opiates and alcohol  wds.
benzos can help but i would stay away and get the clonodine///check blood pressure before taking...the clonodine slows down metablism and therefore lowers blood pressure...slows the tummy down/runs and therefore helps bowels, causes sluggishness and sleepiness by slowing ur body down there fore helping anxiety and sleep..it will not help depression that comes with wds..but exercise will,,,clonodine is a safer choice than klonopin or any benzo if the choice was there...sounds like u r moving forward