Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Cocaine abuse

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Cocaine abuse

Can cocaine abuse cause scabies? Can using dirty cocaine cause someone to have sores all over their body? Someone I love is in trouble, where can find out if this is truly a dermatological problem, or she is abusing cocaine, which is what I think.
Hi Lori, ive been hook on crack-cocaine before and never had any problems with scabies. I believe the individual need concentrate on proper higene,i have not known anybody getting scabies from cocaine.
There are so many myths out there about cocaine (I even saw a post on here from someone claiming that he had to have both hips replaced as a direct consequense of cocaine use, lol!).  Scabies is very unlikely to be linked directly to cocaine use.  Perhaps the use of the drug would lower the person's inhibitions which could put him/her in a situation that would make them more likely to GET scabies.  These people who are spreading wild rumors about drug use may think they are doing society a favor by scaring people.  However, the reality is that it makes people question the validity of TRUE claims about drug use.  Sorry to rant, but that just strikes a nerve with me, lol!
he could be very agitated and picking his skin making sores??
due to the drugs
I find that after using Coke or Heroin, i get a prolonged period of itching for a couple of weeks after using ...  
i've used cocaine quite often for many years and i do not believe you can get scabies directly from using cocaine. as it was mentioned above i can see maybe being aggitated and picking at thier skin or the lower inhibitions putting them in situations more likely to get scabies but directly from cocaine use? No i dont think so. but im not a doctor.
cocaine can cause of to hang with people who have scabies and they are highly contagious. All drugs I think are terrible for the skin... They tear down every aspect of ones being...
Alcoholics get sores all over them when they start to get sick... Although alcoholism's pretty hard to hide by that stage so you'd probably know.

Might not be scabies... could be impetigo or something similar?
Please forgive me if I sound dubious.  You are considering the source of a highly contagious, and very irritating dermatological condition to be, in some way, directly linked to the tangible substance that she may, or may not have snorted, popped, or injected?

My guess is that any tiny organism riding the white carpet of ecstasy, whether it be snorted, popped, or main-lined, would have dire consequences within the body, rather than outside.

Speaking from experience, said loved one is probably having sex with the wrong type of people.  Perhaps this is the source of her addiction and your problem.

Wash EVERY type of linen you own, and throw out any mattresses you may have slept on (these are typically the most suitable environments for these bugs to dwell and reproduce).  Your mattress(es) may be spared by calling a professional exterminator.  

In addition, lather yourself up with some funky mite-killing cream (make sure you're covered from head to toe. After all, your body is now their breeding playground).  Use as prescribed.  Kwellada produces quite an unsavory brand of mite-nectar.

Be sure to administer the same regiment on everyone you are close to AT THE SAME TIME.  Timing is key.  Otherwise, the infestation will re-populate from the latent host.

No, you CAN NOT get scabies directly from the tangible use/abuse of cocaine.  Moreover, sores don't typically arise from scabies (unless itching persists beyond the threshold of epidermal fortitude).

I'm sorry, this is all I can offer at this time.
Well I know from personal experience that you do get sores all over you body from using coke it isnt' scabies but it is staph infection.It is caused by picking your skin with dirty hands I used to think that bugs were in my body and tried to pick them out. I just about died from infection and I have huge scars on my body from it. This is not funny this is a truly sick person if it is drugs and I remember at the time it was very real to me I REALLY thought that there was bugs in my body. What a physiological nightmare.To think that today I am happy to say I am clean and sober Thank God and Narcotics Anonymous .still have the scars but healing emotionally. I wish your friend all the best as well as you nice to see a friend wanting to help another.
Of course a great certainty of infection looms through the uncleanly pawing of open wounds. You make a good point j34.  

However, one cannot get scabies through the use of cocaine (directly).  Cocaine leads to poor choices, and poor choices, more often than not, result in regretful situations.

Perhaps a candid discussion will quell your worries Cocaine abuse.    
Just fyi---this is an old thread, the OP/respondants may likely not be around anymore.