Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Cocaine and shingles

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Cocaine and shingles

Does anyone know of a study linking cocaine abuse/depressed immune system with shingles?  I am very concerned about a co-worker who used to use cocaine.  Recently dropped a lot of weight, fast.  Chronic sinus infections.  And now, shingles at age 32.  I think he's using again.  Am I worrying needlessly?
Live and Let live. I was at a meeting yesterday and the speaker was sayind how he used to get involved in other peoples business,does this sound familiar!! You seem sincerely concerned about your co-workers situation. What if it has nothing to do with cocaine.Him/her will not be to impressed with you.
Shingles is caused by the reactivation of the virus (varicella-zoster virus) that causes chickenpox. After you recover from chickenpox, the virus lies dormant (inactive) in your nerve roots. In some people, it stays dormant for the rest of their lives. In others, the virus reactivates when disease, stress, or aging weakens the immune system. 1 The cause of reactivation of the virus is unclear; however, once it does reactivate, it causes shingles, not another case of chickenpox. Most people who get shingles will not get the disease again, although it does come back in a few people

I had an outbreak of shigles when I lost some weight and under was stress , I wonder if people thought I was doing coke ....... I have to agree with johnny ...live and let live
hey have a shingles vaccine now, believe it or not! And avisg is right. It usually shows up in the elderly, but stress and a depressed immune system (flu, etc) can cause an outbreak.
i broke my jaw in a fight a few years back and was using coke on a regular.  when i had my mouth wired shut for 3 months i lost 20 pounds.  about 3 weeks after i got the wires off my mouth i developed shingles.  i asked my doctor about it.   he said its because of weakened immune system.  cocaine use and shingles do relate sometimes. but its mostley because of stress from withdrawl (withdrawal).  nothing to worry about.  just quit getting shingles
I realize this is profoundly late, however...

Your query into "cocaine abuse/depressed immune system," is quite ambiguous.  However, if you are inquiring about a correlation between cocaine-use, and shingles, there is no direct correlation concerning the two.  Shingles is a viral infection, that has been commonly misdiagnosed.  Don't worry, your co-worker doesn't have "sluts-disease,"or "*******, herpes".  

Although the shingles virus pays rent, and resides until the terminal end of the organism, the human body is well-equipped to stasitize such foreign invaders.  After all, the dreaded "e-coli" also pays rent...well, it's more like consignment, but that's a whole different ball of wax.  Nevertheless, there are stark similarities.

The initial, and most disturbing (for the "host") stage, invariably, includes massive rashes (usually on the back), which are the result of the initial meeting between the "hosts" immune system, and the foreign invader.  However, much like e-coli found in our digestive systems, our **** keeps them in check...er, we got this one under control.

Safe of the direct correlation between cocaine and shingles, concern lies with the noticeable, rapid weight loss of the one you care for.  

Cocaine, as with any ephedrinitic stimulant, suppresses apatite. One can lose massive amounts of weight/mass in a relatively short period of time. One develops obsessive attitudes (compulsive impulses) under such substances.  These "impulses," lead to activity, which burn calories.  Coupled with reduced sustenance, it is not rare to see a mass reduction of 2 lbs./wk. A caloric budget that resembles -ve 7000 calories/wk. (ie. a 50% decrease of the recommended caloric intake/wk. avg.).  This reduction in weight is even evident among familiar acquaintances.  Yet, further inhibitors of a balanced nutritional diet include bulimia (which is still not recognized in a lot of contemporary dictionaries), and anorexia.  Both of which severely affect the neocortex (basically, the inhibition of our complex thinking patterns).

I digress, sinus problems are certain among those who nasally ingest.  Simply put, any robust particulate that enters our filtering systems causes havoc.  Especially our alkal-benzo friend which degrades cartilage.

Perhaps, a lack of nutrition, teemed with the degradation of evolutionary pedigree Open-wounded or not) may be responsible for a synthetic diversion of the body's natural resources, resulting in an immune deficiency.  Hence, shingles (probably one of the safest immunodeficient "diseases").

To address a possible depressed aspect, cocaine is notorious in the administration of an extremely euphoric feeling.  My personal contention is that all life wants to remain in a state of stasis.  This means, that over time, an organism naturally remains in balance within its own, segregated environment.  So, obviously, to balance a state of extreme euphoria, one must experience an extreme period moroseness (or vice versa).  I refer to such equilibrium periods as "biological rebounds."    

Rest assured, your worries are probably not unfounded.  If you are unsure about things, perhaps a candid discussion is in order.  I wish you the best C&S.  But, no.  shingles are not the direct result of ingesting cocaine, at least nasally, or by inhalation.