Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Codeine Detox

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Codeine Detox

Hi there, I am trying to detox from Codeine ( Neurofen Plus, 200mg Ibruprofen & 12.8 mg Codeine) Untill now i have been failing miserably, taking anything up to 96 per day.
What i have started doing instead of taking them throughout the day (12 at a time) i am waiting 24 hours between doses.Saturday i took 12 at 13:00 and didnt take any more untill 09:30 this morning.

Am i going about this the wrong way? Am i just extending the length of time it will take to detox and thereby prolonging the W/Ds?

Any Advice will be appreciated.

Collagek
Hopefull third detox lucky
Tags: Addiction
That is an awful lot of pills you were taking per day. The ibruprophen can make you stomach bleed and that is from low doses. If you can quit c/t it would be the best for you. Can you talk with your doctor? I don't mean to be gross but, are your stools black? I hope all goes well for you and that you beat this addiction. This board is a tremendous help and people will be here to help you and give good advise.

Wishing you the best.
M
Thankyou for responding so quickly. Yes i have spoken to my GP and all he could say was " You will get over it, It wont last" he has even refused to refill my prescription for 5mg diazapam which i get about once every 3 months and take as and when i need them, mainly for muscle spasm in my lower back. I have spoken to Changes(Drug & Alcahol (alcohol) Services) but they have told me i am not a prioity case as im not injecting. I havent taken such a large ammount in quite a while as i have been trying to kick the habbit for some time now. Though this morning i have taken 24, however i wont take anymore untill around lunchtime tommorow, if i take any at all. I recently quit smoking pot and cigarettes. About 9 last night i started getting stomach cramps and this morning i started running.

How long does it take to get Codeine Out of my system?
How long will i feel so anxious for?
Does it get any easier?

Collagek
Hopefull Third Time Detox
You are definitely moving in the right direction!  Cutting back is sure to be helpful if you have the will power to taper.  I personally do not so I really admire you for being able to control yourself.
My advice would be that as long as you keep reducing the amount you are taking, then what you are doing will be beneficial to getting off codeine completely.
If I were you, and I think you said you take 12 every 24 hours...I would do that for two or three days, then cut down to 10, then 8, then 6, etc, until you are done.  The hard part, and the part that would just be prolonging the w/d's would be if you got down to say, 6 every 24 hours and had a weak moment and decided to get high and take 12.  I am the queen of that.  That is why I can never taper.  I just don't have the willpower.
I hope this all makes sense!
It will probably take anywhere from 4-8 days for the physical symptoms to subside and takes longer for the insomnia, depression and fatigue. I can't believe your doctor will not help you with this and I am sorry. Can you take off work for any length of time? You will probably get chills/sweats, anxiety, depression and feel downright horrible for the first few days. I know there are quite a few people who are tapering and that might be a good way for you to go. You should make sure you have plenty of liquids and immodium (for diarhea (diarrhea)) and some over the counter sleep medicines. If you like to read, pick up a good book that you can get lost in. It really helps to get your mind off the w/d's. You might find it helpful to taper down some more. If you took 4 pills in a.m., 4 in afternoon and take your last dose at night. I would do that for a few days and then cut to 2, morning, noon and night. I suggest tapering because of the amount you take, although it would be super if you could c/t. It is a hard thing to go through and with the help of this board you can make it through this. I am praying for you and please keep posting. I will be here to help you and many others will be also.
Bless you,
M
I was taking a lot of codeine so here is my experience...if it helps.

When I went more than 4 hours without my 4 codeine pills, my body started craving and I'd then find myself taking 8-10 to make up the difference.   The body seems to know what it wants and doesn't like it when deprived for hours.

You might want to consider a schedule of taking a few pills every 4 hours to avoid that deficit craving.  Then gradually reduce the number you take every 4 hours.  

I got down to where I was taking 1-2 pills every four hours and decided it was time for C/T.

The withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms were terrible for 4-5 days.   I took time off telling people I "had the flu".   When I needed more time off, I said, "They now think I have pneumonia" which gave me an added excuse for more recovery time.
After 5 days my W/D symptoms start to subside, but it took at least two weeks before I felt my body had flushed out all the codeine.

As each week went by, I felt better and realized the wonderful benefits of being free of pills.  I was happy to just feel normal again.

I congratulate you on wanting to quit.  It is a slow process...not an event.  Try to remember, "Nothing good happens fast in life or when flying airplanes."

This Forum is here to help, to reassure, and to let you know you are not alone.   (I only check in once a week, but others are here on a daily, if not hourly basis.)

GEORGE
Week 9  C/T  

Hi, Taking time off work is not a problem as i am currently unemployed and the doctor has me signed off and have been for alost 6 moth now as i ended up in A&E not so long ago. I got stuck in Tesco's doing my shopping and they had to get an ambulance to come and get me(Most embarasing)I only had 2 items in my basket and my back ceased up.

I spent almost a year on Subutex which was great i had almost no w'd's and it was all going great untill they dropped me to under 2mg per day and then i started getting chronic back pain again. I have been using Heat Pads on a daily bases since November. I was clean for almost 3 months when i got a bought of rather serious diareah and after 2 weeks of nothing but Cold Dry toast and water i went back to see my gp who prescribed me a course of codeine. I was not impressed but as i was getting rather sore and had problems walking due to the fact the my backend looked something like the Japanese Flag so i though "Sod it" "i will be ok" My GP knows i used to be addicted to codeine and had just gone through a year detox.

As i mentioned before i spoke to him about this last week and he doesnt seem to care. So this time i need to do this alone with no help apart from the members here.

I was given some medication yesterday but i am unsure if i should take them or not as they were not prescribed to me.

EFEXOR XR75 For Anxiety
5mg Diazapam To help Relax
20mg Tamazapam(Spelt Wrong) for sleeping

The only tablets i have taken so far is the diazapam and last night i took one of the tamazapam and i slept like a baby.

As these pills were not prescribed to me are there any dangers in me taking these tablets?

I havent had any yet but its getting close to my 24hr dose time and have a load of house work to do which i have been putting of for a while.

Are there any dangers i should be aware of?
I know that the tamazapam robs the body of natural sleep and should only be used if absoultly if nessacery.

Any advice?
My thoughts and thanks go out to you all and hope that one day we will all be clean.

Collage
Hopefull Third time Detox
Hi just wondered how you got on I am in day 7 of detox and finding it hard I took 15 pills a day for two years ranging from 8mg to 12.8mg to 30mg when i could get them How long did it take to get off this ****
Hi there, the effexor will not help you at all, unless you will be taking it for 4-6 weeks regularly.  It is just an antidepressant (linked to increased suicide risk), and it needs to build up in the system to be effective.  Besides, the common side-effects mimic withdrawal symptoms (high anxiety, diarrhea, sleep problems etc.) so taking it casually is dangerous and can make you feel much worse.  I was placed on effexor to help me quit smoking, and it really reminded me of w/d symptoms.  Needless to say I had to stop asap.  The diazapam and tamazapam will help a bit with anxiety/sleeplessness, but try to really go easy on these, as they are highly addictive as well and withdrawal can result in seizures.
Where or how do you get enough pills to take 24 a day....Wouldnt you run out after 10 days ?

I am trying to understand....The state you are in must be different....

There must be some reason that the doctor doesnt care.
I have the same question. So many people mention immense amounts of pills they take. Where do you get them? I started with one vicodine per day and ended up with 4 before I realized I had a problem. I am off now. But to keep up my habit of 4/per day took a lot of efford and financially was not sustainable. Do doctors prescribe this much medication?
I am so sorry to hear that your doctor doeswn't care. May be you shoulod consider changing your doctor.
The best of luck!
I stumbled across this forum because I searched on google for a away to stop the water retention codeine causes. And to answer your question: yes in the UK doctors prescribe this medicine. I have been on some form of codeine since 2005 for serious medical problems, but I hate the side effects they have caused. For one the codeine in co-codamol form made me gain 10 pounds in 2 weeks back in 2005.
Have you tried immodium liquid for your stomach. I found that to be a life saver!
96 Nurofen plus ohhhhhhhhhhh boy that is a lot, i took 60+ a day, and am only clean 13days, i went cold/turkey. there is no point in sugar coating it, you need to find some strenght to stop, and now,not tomorrow, because we all know tomorrow never comes, im sorry to be the one to tell you but it will hurt a lot,.after 7/8days you start to feel better, a lot better. i know what you are going throu, but you can do it, you just have to want to, really want to,everyone says they want to stop, but as soon as you put another pill in your mouth, it means you want to stop but not really,you will deff need some/lots of help from your doctor,its his juty to help you, or have you been to him so many times, just to get more pills he realises you dont want to stop, you just want more pills???????????

sorry if i sound harsh, but only you can stop this, nobody else can do it for you
everyone is here to help, really help, i really hope you find the courage to stop i really do, i know how much pain and hurt these pills cause you and others around you
you can do it, please dont ever stop trying to give up

as for anyone wanting to know how we get these many pills, they are sold over the counter, you can get 100s a day if you want
good luck, keep us posted
Hey collegek
Ive been tapering of neurofen plus for about two months now. I tried cold turkey a few times and failed. could never get past day three,
Ive gone from 40 a day in january to just    (4 a day date)  I did my last taper last monday. The one thing ill tell ya is every time you go to a lower dose or go longer without taking them you'll feel it .It usually take me about 3 or 4 days to get used to it.
When i was on the much higher doses its didnt really matter if i took 11 or 12 tabs. I still got relief from withdralls . ..
Why dont you stretch it out till you just feeling a bit unconfortable and just take 6 or so. i found  if i left it too long between doses i'd feel like **** and i'd have to take more than before just to feel ok..

I found this site by accident and its a GOD send!!!!!!!!!!!
I changed my diet COMPLETELY .I only eat fresh fruit and veg and im in the gym every day.

On the days when i felt like **** i went on the tread mill and walked for about an hour
Your natural endorphins will replace some of the pill high you are getting..

Then i used to spend about another hour in the gyms jacussi.
F@*kin great for the muscle aches

Try and keep busy. Its a pitty your not working. Nothing worse than hanging around waiting for symptoms to pass

Keep moving dont just sit around waiting for the WDS to go away
Get out and about it really helps

I cant believe im only taking 4 a day now .I thought id never get here..

NB!!!!!
This is is very important!!!!!!!
Realise you will feel a LOT of anxiety .Youll think you much worse than you really are . I was in a panic wondering will my symptoms get much worse. then id get stuck into reading posts from other people on here and before i new it  an hour or so would have past . and i wouldnt feel that bad.

Get up tomorrow morning and go for an hour long walk Weither it be around the shops or a walk in the country it doesnt matter Try not to sleep to much Your body clean's and repairs itself while you sleep
so you will have a lot less codiene im your system when you wake up after a 10 hour sleep than you would if you only had 6 hours

Which ever way you decide to get off these tablets your body is gonna take about 4 to five days to adjust to its new state

(((((There is great advice on TAPERING in the health pages)))))))

If you taper you will have discomfort Every time you lower your dose
IF you choose to sit around and go out of your mind  waiting for the symptoms to pass a lot of which is in your head (anxiety) OR you can get out and about and walk some of it off . I suggest
the latter

Trust me mate it gets better .

I cant believe i dont have to take anymore tabs for another nine hours and i only have to take 1and a 1/2 then im free for another 12 hours
Its a great feeling knowing that im gonna be free from these things i stop  taking them this friday and i already have those first four days planned out i wont be sitting around waiting for them to pass

DO IT YOUR WAY.  YOU'LL GET THERE IN THE END!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All,

I have been addicted to codeine for 3-4 years. At it worst, I was taking up to 60 per day. At best, I was taking 20. I tried the tapering method a few times (maybe three), with limited results. I knew that it was time to give this addiction away, before it took over my entire life.....

I knew that C/T was the only way to go - it would remind me of how difficult it was to get off them and ensure that I never, EVER fall into the same trap again. I didn't always take it for pain relief; it was mostly for the 'buzz'. Prior to that I was a heavy pot smoker - up to 50 bongs per day.

Codeine became a replacement for that addiction.

I took my last 4 codeine tablets on Tuesday night - for a headache and it is now Friday lunchtime. I searched the internet for some information about 'codeine' and wish I had found this website BEFORE I started it....For those looking to go C/T; you are likely to experience the following symptoms.

- Diarrhea (quite severe - you won't be able to hold in anything, not even water. I have lost 3kgs in 2 days). In order to help with this - get some Imodium (immodium) or any other recommended aid for this
- Joint and lower back pain
- 2nd night I experienced really bad insomnia. Some suggest sleeping pills, but I fear that I will develop a dependency for these too and wish to again, bear it – and take it for as bad as it gets to put me off ever using it again.
- Tingling of the skin a little

I have been reading books and watching movies; which seems to have kept my mind off it. If you’re not careful (like I wasn’t) with the diarreaha; you can find yourself being depleted completely of all of your minerals making you more fatigued and weak.

I can’t really afford to not be working, but intend only to start working again when I am better. Fortunately, I am in a position where I can increase my working hours as I go along; so I can concentrate on making sure that I am better.

I think it’s important for people like me to explore the reasons WHY we needed this ‘buzz’. I intend to see a psychologist when I come out the other end of this and can afford to.

For me, as I mentioned, it is essential for me to go through this pain and suffering to ensure that I never feel like touching these pills again for fear of what it can do to me. There isn’t enough research into how it effects your liver, but all GP’s say the same thing – it is doing severe damage to an organ that cannot right itself, the same way that the kidney can.

Thanks to this forum, I now know that in another 5 nights, I should START getting back to my old self. I know that this is a process that will take a lot longer than 8 days. But I am relieved to know that the tough side of the detox will be over then, and I can start rebuilding my health.

I agree with a previous post in regards to exercise. The ‘buzz’ that you get from exercise is the perfect replacement for the pills. I also agree that eating a completely healthy diet is also essential to recovery and ongoing health in the future.

Lastly, I am grateful for the people in this forum, whom have shared their own stories for the benefit of others. I can honestly say that it’s been a real help to me.

I’m hanging in there and remain supremely confident that if I look after my body in the future, there will never be a need for pain killers ever again.
CWO..u have posted on an old post...happens often
post a new post by clicking the green button
it will draw more attn to ur needs
lots of support here
Hi worried878,

I really appreciate your efforts in writing that.

When I searched the internet, I found that this forum came up as one of the top links - this actual discussion.

I thought that perhaps that being the case, that despite the fact that it's old - that I could add to it for the benefit of someone in my/our position in the future.

To add to my post, an update I guess.

The uncomfortable nature of the detox is gone, but I am now experiencing insomnia - for the past two nights I've had about 3 good hours sleep each. I know that someone pointed out that we need our bodies to rest in order to heal, but I fear taking sleeping tablets - just in case I become dependent on these - so am toughing it and trying every natural remedy possible.

I haven't been able to eat properly for the past 3 days - if at all.....the severity of the Diarrhea is definately passing, so I really need to get some decent, nutricious food into my body in order to get my enery levels back.

I am going to try to head out for a walk today, get my body moving and hope that it helps to make me tired.

I thank everyone again for their posts. I felt it was important for me to share my story in a forum such as this, as if it pushes someone over the edge to even start considering the severity of what we are doing to our body, mind and soul by becoming a slave to this addiction - then it is the very least that I can do.

Thanks again worried878 : )
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post something further, as I am in day 13. I have done a lot of searching online and it seems that there isn't really much after the initial few days of HELL!!

I found that after my first few nights without codeine, I had seriously bad insomnia. I forced myself outside to go walking - despite the fact that my body was aching (put together some of your favourite songs, as it helps) - and found that I felt better for having done it; but I still couldn't sleep. After the sixth night of limited sleep I went to the Doctor to help me.

If you take anything from my posts, please remember this. Sleeping pills or any benzo are not the answer. I felt so much worse after taking these. Although I was thankful the first night for the initial relief of sleep - I found that I could not wake up for about five hours....it's just simply not worth it.

I tried drinking about 2-3 glasses of wine @ night too and that proved to make me feel worse also - best to stay away from the alcohol....

A friend of mine told me about a natural product called 'Melatonin'. It's a supplement (available at pharmacies or health food stores). I found that I needed to take about 4-5, but they did work and did not leave me with a horrific hangover that lasted for half of the day. There are also herbal teas you can drink (Sleepytime by 'Celestial Seasonings) and other natural sleeping aids. I personally found that the 'Melatonin' worked really well - although not as fast acting as the 'benzo's; they still worked, had much less side effects and I am not at risk of developing addiction to the 'benzo's'. I have read plenty of other forums over the past few weeks and my understanding is that a 'detox' from any type of benzo is far more difficult. I cannot even begin to imagine this process being more difficult that it was.....!!!

I think also, that everyone's experience is a little bit different. You have to take a long hard look at yourself and realise what your habits are and how you can overcome them.

I cannot stress enough that herbal, natural remedies really are the best option. If you can, see a natropath (or similar) to help you with your withdrawal and it's symptoms.

To be honest, it's only on day 13 - after exploring different options - that I feel better. I found that I was tired constantly from insomnia before that; but still managed to excercise for a few hours a day (which I think is REALLY important). It replaces the endorphines that you miss from the tabs.

I wish anyone the very best of luck in their future endeavours to get off codeine forever. If you're well prepared - you will be absolutely FINE!! Get off it as soon as you can. The sooner you do, the less of an issue it will be for you.
Hi, after reading this forum, I see light at the end. My partner has been addicted to codeine since before I met her. She takes panadeine (9-13mg codeine + 500mg paracetamol) and panafen (10-13mg codeine + 500mg paracetamol). At 1 stage, she went thru a box of 75 of each in 1-2 days, she was taking 6-8 of each tablet every 4hrs. She also took a tablet with the main constituent being doxylamine succinate. She has finally decided to CT and has been without them 3 days. She is very sick with diarrhea and vomitting every 30min-1hr. Do I need to step in and do anything, I feel so helpless and am at breaking point of making her take 4 of each... Will this be detrimental to the process? Does it get easier? How soon should I be able to notice a significant improvement?
Hi everyone , I'm a 47 yr old grandma and i have been addicted to codeine for the last 6 yrs.The dose was 30/500 of Solpadol 4 x 2 daily.
At present I am taking at least 20 a day which with it containing paracetamol is very dangerous.Blood tests  I had last week showed that so far ,some how I have got away with it.So at this point I have come clean to my doctor and family that I have a problem and I need to stop.
I suffer with chronic pain and have been prescribed many kinds of pain relief over the years and have had no problems with stopping them if they did not suit me all except the codeine.
So currently I am dependent on the Solpadol and Butrans slow release morphine patches.
I am too scared to go c/t as I have read that many of you have as just the thought of that makes me very anxious,I have complete admiration for those of you who have managed that.
My G.P has drawn up a gradual withdrawel plan and changed my prescription to codeine tablets 30mg which already I am struggling with and its only day 3 !
I despair that I will ever become free of my addiction and have even contemplated ending my life rather than go on with this .
That makes me sound weak but I just never realised how dependant I had become.
I would appreciate any advice on how to get through this and any tips on coping mechanisms any of you have found useful.
                                  Debbie x
Hi Debbie & Welcome to the community!

Before anyone giving advise, I wanted to let you know that you posted on a thread that is over 3 years old. I assume you came here from google. I did as well.

What happens is members don't see these posts, or they are long and hard to read and are confusing. they tend to return to archives rather quickly.

It would be easier for the community to get to know you and help you if you started your own post. Please go to the top of this page, hit the green "Post A Question" button and follow the instructions. If you need any help, give a shout!

Hope to see you!!
Hello everyone!
I am detoxing from Codiene.  It is day 3 for me and the worst.  I exercise but feel that it makes the pain worse for me.  I was down to 10 per day after taking 30 - 30 mg Codiene tabs.  
I only feel very achy at the moment so I guess I am much luckier than most of you out there with the same problem.  I tried c/t about 4 months ago and no luck.  So, then I minimized dosage to 15 per day and supplemented with Tramadol to ease the pain.  I am not sure now whether I am feeling the Tramadol or the Codiene withdrawal.  

What do you think??  Please help..I am desperate because I am at my parents on vacation and don't want them to see something is wrong with me.  I am reading and just chilling around the house.  

Is there anything else I can do to get rid of the horrible feelings I am having?  Does Alchohol make this process worse?  I dont normally drink but have been having a beer here and there with my mom.

Thanks for everyones support!
HB
Hi there I am currently detoxing from codeine and have finally had some success in reducing my dose..I am doing this by 1/4 of a 30 mg tab per 5 days and so far not feeling too much discomfort. I would advise a visit to the dr to explain your situation as the ibuprofen could cause you serious life long probs and even death. He will prescribe pure codeine and monitor you or 30 mg codeine/paracetamol which means you take less of the paracetamol or nurofen. The mental addiction is often as strong as the physical so you may need a detox in hospital programme but one thing I know for sure without medical intervention your chance of success is almost nil ..good luck!
I am going c/t as of tomorrow and am stoping from 10pills of codien a day i am so nervous and know what to expect for the side afects of withdrawl (withdrawal). i have a great a&d detox ladie who is here for me they have provided me with sleping pills and other things to help me feal as comftable as possible. As much as i am exited im scared but i wont to do this for myself so bad its been two years on codien due to my teath and another life experience and the codiens helped me deal with everyday life. I also have a bad case of insomania and the codien also helped me slep. Does anybody have any advise for me tomorrow and the next two weeks i have off work? i realy wont to feal normal again and not have to take pills to get through life :)
i am curunntly on my forth day clean off codine and its hard but not as hard as comeing off heroin or subutex its all the same family no matter how long u have took it or what opiat u take its simeler withdreaws im 29 years old and have taken codine nurofen plus cuprefen plus weel any thing with a plus on the end of it i took up to 90 tabs a day the only way off it is to stay clean fall stop like anything there is no eiaser softer way within a week ur be sleeping ok and befor you know it u will be brand new just stick it out i am!! u can only do it for u. but remember if u dare to try and fall urself and take one or even half a tablet no mater how far u get clean im talking irf u go though all that **** for 4 days and take a tiny bit even half a tab u will have to go throug it all a gine belive me u aint any diffrent!!! ive too it for 13 years please trust me the hardest day it the forth dont let it tell u lies my name is lee im a recovering addict good luck hope ive helped god bless u all xxx stick with it or live a lie  i lossed everything though codine!!
I am on day 48 and this is the 3rd time i have tried to rid codeine from my body & mind. I found in the early days that i could not sllep i got about an hr sleep each day for 5 days then when to gp & begged him for some valium. The vaium helped with the resless leggs & I guess because it is not my drug of choice I did not get addicted to it. I am no longer on the valium and am sleeping fine. I had a 10 day stay at hospital due to medical complications of taking so much nurofen plus. and I am back to 50% but is still better tahn being doped up on that crap. I see a drug and alcohol councelor weekly whick keeps me focused but talking to people on formus such as this is what has kept me going. good luck to everyone
Hey...my bf has a codeine addiction and we've tried three times already to get him off it by lowering how many he takes but when the withdrawal symptoms come it's too much to take. I don't know how to help him and it just makes my depression/anxiety problem worse. Please give me some advice as I feel lost.
I have been taking Solphadol (co-codamol) 30/500 for the last five years, 2 x4 times per day but sometimes if its bad 2 x 6 times per day. I was originally percribed these for really bad back pain but I take them regardless wether I'm in pain or not, usually if Ive had a bad day, or if im upset about something, I must have taken more than I was supposed to this month as I ran out three days before I can get any more which was two days ago so I had six left for three days so I have just spaced them out and taken two a day for the last few days and I am due to get more tomorow, yet I haven't slept very well, I have had stomach ache and a bit of a headache and I can't stop thinking about when I will be getting more, I haven't had the usual cold turkery simptoms but does it sound like I am addicted as after reading some of the comments above it has realy worried me. Thanks :)  
Ive just came across your comment and realise it was posted some time ago I hope that you are ok. All addictions begin somewhere they also end somewhere Im commenting as an addictions worker seeing more & more addiction to codine. The problem with codine is after taking regularly for a period of time u will have withdrawal symptoms how mild or severe depend on loads of things. Whether your addicted is for you to decide.....and if you want to address it and stop taking them again only you can decide. If you want to stop and are struggling I really hope that your GP will help with reducing doses and looking at alternative pain releif. Interested in how you get on
I spent 36 years on benzos valum,then tranzene and finally
8 mg xannax for 12 years.after three grand maul seizures I went through med detox.and they Put me on 225 mg of effexor xr.everything was great for six months.then I had a bout of throwing up the effexor xr.The withdrawel from effexor I had seizures convultions and almost died.The physcitrist.put me back on xannax.the only way to get benzos for life is decrease the dose .25 to .50 mg a day for a month at a time till your down to .5 mg a day then stop.don't use one crutch to replace the another .LWARCox
8 mg xannax for 12 years.after three grand maul seizures I went through med detox.and they Put me on 225 mg of effexor xr.everything was great for six months.then I had a bout of throwing up the effexor xr.The  and an anaplactic reaction.withdrawel from effexor I had seizures convultions and almost died.The physcitrist.put me back on xannax.the only way to get rid benzos for life is decrease the dose .25 to .50 mg a day for a month at a time till your down to .5 mg a day then stop.don't use one crutch to replace the another .LWARCox
lee agree totally i did my first detox 6 months ago and i was taking 30mg codiene phosphate and i was taking 12 a day  and yes it was hard i wont sugar coat it i was haded a beg full of tablets lofexideine diazapam triazipam and didnt take any of them i wanted to suffer so i would not do it again boy was i wrong i got a headache 6 months later and found some codiene that i had hidden away i took them thinking i was ok haha nope here i am again day 2 of detox and feeling like pooh again please please heed this warning i have suffered numerous infections due to the paracetomol in the tablets my stomach bleeding due to the ibuprofen i had to stop second time around no one knows and think im am suffering with a bad case of the flu this time around it was over the counter it is financially killing me as they cost so much i am just hoping i can get through tommorrow as i know its the worst.
Hi everyone, i looked up this forum to try and see if anyone could help me, but after reading all of your post's i have come to realise i am not as deep into this as i thought. 10 years ago i was hit by a car and the right hand side of my face was basicly ripped off, i have had opperations to rebuild, the recent one, only being 7 weeks ago, but i was prescribed co-codamol 30+500, ten years ago, and have recently discoverd that i because i dont need them as i am not in great pain any more that when i didnt take them i felt like id been hit my a steam roller! i am on day 4 of complete cut off, and i feel really good, better that i thought i would! the 1st 2 days were hell, but now im doing ok. i would like to wish you all good luck in your efforts to get this drug from your systems x
Im now on day four of my N+ cold/hot sweaty, irritable, anxious, painful turkey and i am very proud of myself. The leg cramps are all but gone but am still having trouble sleeping due to feeling anxious and nervous. feel a bit sickly today proberbly due to lack of sleep.

I have found these forums very helpful and it renews my faith in humanity to know that people, even though they are going through pain and suffering themselves, can find it in themselves to help, inform, support and share with others. Thank you all for being there for me when i needed you.
I'm on day 8 of my pharmacist-induced detox.  My prescription would not be refilled until Feb 9th. I went thru 100 tylenol 3's in about 20 days.  some days I would take 4 and some days i would take 7.  I realize it's not as much as some of you took in a day but the withdrawals are just as bad.  For 4 days I was in agony.  Talk about a WAKE UP CALL!!!!  I hadnt realized being diagnosed with a degenerative back defect would cause me to become a statistic.  I really want to cancel my RX but I'm so scared of the back pain but even more scared of craving these things more.  Even though my W/D symptoms are getting alot better,  I feel like Im counting down the days.  I wasn't ready to get off these things but after the detox, I feel like I can NEVER go thru that again.  I even finally fessed up to my husband and friends about it.  HELP ME!
I too am in process of tapering off of  20 - 30 codeine pills a day..I started my taper yesterday and I did very well I'm sure with the help of clonidine that the doctor gave me.  I managed to keep working so that is great, and I didn't take my whole amt yesterday, I flushed what I had left from yesterday this morning.  I'm so proud of myself.  I love reading others stories, it really helps motivate me and reminds me that I'm not alone.  I just found a new doctor too, and it turns out he is an addiction specialist (how lucky is that)  Oh and one more weird thing.  my dr and I figured out how many pills i need for my taper, so when i went to count out what i had in the main location i keep them. there were exactly that amount.  So weird.  
This is an old post but seeing it is a link everyone clicks from Google I am going to write here.

I notice very few people write how they got off codeine. I am on day 30 today and I wanted to share what I did. I will not go into how much I took and why. You have read it all before.

To start:
For a couple of days before I started detox I wrote down how much codeine was taking a day. I then wrote up a diary of tapering. It is up to you how you taper and how much you taper. Just remember that if you taper alot you will have more withdrawals. I think I tapered off too much in the beginning and I ended up going slower later down the track.

I made sure I had magnesium and a multi vitamin I took every day. I had imodium (immodium) and buscopan for the stomach aches. I also had regular nurofen and panadol in stock which I sometimes took in place of when I would take a codeine usually. I also had sleeping tablets. If you want sleeping tablets and don't want to confess to a doctor I would suggest saying you are travelling and need it for your plane ride.

The first few days were difficult (heck this month has been difficult). At the time it was hot so I swam in my pool. I went walking and made myself sweat. I drank lots and lots of water to keep hydrated. At night the restless legs would kill me so I lay with my feet up in the air on a wall. That seemed to help. I would take the sleeping tablets only when I was desperate.

Looking back on this month I wish I could say there is this magical cure. That is what I was hoping for when I started this journey. There isn't a magical cure except your own drive and determination. You have to want to get off these more then you need them. So when it is 3am and you have had little sleep you can keep going.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. You just have to stick to it. Also do not beat yourself up if one day you taper really well and the next day you take more. I did this a couple of times because I was in agony. I made sure however that I got right back on track.

By all means my journey is not over. I had a migraine the other day and I would have killed to have codeine. I nearly took some but I kept saying to myself that this will be over sooner if I stick to it.

BTW - I have tried the "Thomas Method" and some of the things in it do nothing. Like the L tyrosine. Other parts are helpful.

I hope to be back here in a month to tell you I have been clean for 2 months.

In the meantime be strong people and best of luck.
If anyone can help.  I've been taking Codeine #4 for 8 years.  Usually about 4 pills a day.  Now I've been taking 2 pills a day.  I do have serious back pain from a 50 mph rear end collision; however, the past year or so I started developing constipation.  I've been to a GI specialist and have gone through tests and I basically have colonic inertia (which is a fancy way of saying that leftovers in my gut move slower than normal and cause constipation).  All the osmotic laxatives (the only ones which are safe) are ineffective.  That's why I think Codeine #4 (even 2 per day) is the culprit.  Does anyone know how long it would take for normal bowel movements to return if I cut the Codeine off completely.  This would be one way for me to measure if Codeine is the culprit.  I did quit for about a week and nothing really changed in the bowel movement area.  I hope this is not the case, but does anybody know if the cumulative use of Codeine (even 2-4 per day) might cause "chronic constipation."  I'd rather live with the back pain.
I have been taking codiene 30mg and paracetomol 500mg 16 times a day for the last 4 years becuse I hurt myself out running.  Many things have happened in that time like my mum dying young suddenly etc and also me ending in hospital due  to liver damage (around te same time my lovely mum passed away).  Currently I am going cold turkey for the 8th time and this time I got a new doctor and asked her to not allow me anymore repeat codiene prescriptions.  I am only on day 2 and have never made it pat day 5 before so I hope and want to be it this time.  I have told my partner and my 7 year old son that I may not be the best persson to be around for a week or 2 and have told then not to take it personally.  I really wish this drud wasnt precribed to anyone.
If you're not making up these numbers then you're going to quickly die from what you're doing to yourself.  I'm surprised your liver hasn't shut down and caused your death within the first few days of those doses.  If you're making it up, then you should find other ways to entertain yourself.
talk to your doc my wife addicted to codiene for 25 years and a good doc we found eventually got us help in a nhs rehab where they use lofexodine plus other meds for 7 days [in hospital] this got her over the real bad withdrawels. it will still be hard aftewr but will make it alot easier than tryin to stop / go cold turkey hope this will help
hi,i'm a recovering addict,i've been addicted to codiene for 13 years,it started off innocetly with me coming home from school with a migraine and my father giving me 2 of  his solpadol,and it escilated to the point where i was taking 64+ nurofen plus a day,and one day i took over 120 tabs and was so scared i would die i wouldn't sleep for 3days,i tried tapering off a few times it didn't work,i tried cold turkey..really didn't work as i couldn't be out of action for that long,i had a job and kids to look after,i went to the doctor many times and they didn't want to know,they know how addictive this drug is and they really want to sweep it under the carpet,eventually i got in touch with goals it's a drug addiction+counselling service,and finally i was put on subutex,and it's amazing,no withdrawal,no spending my days looking for chemists who would still serve me,my life is better,and to those who are still battling addiction i would urge you to keep trying,pester your doctor,your local drug service,anywhere you can get referred to for help,it's not easy as codeine being legal isn't really seen as a problem so you have to really battle to get the help but once you get it,it is worth it trust me xx
That was so encouraging. I have had a long term alcohol problem. I had an amazing spiritual breakthrough at the beginning of last year 2010 and stopped completely. Then slowely towards the end and beginning of this year would drink on one off occasions (excessively). I got married at the beginningof the year and my husband and I have 6 children between us. I have done some releasing work mentally and emotionally that have put me in a strong place to cope with day to day life.
However for the first time in seven years I developed the flu. There has also been a lot happening inour family life that required me. I tried taking nurophen plus  and guess what it seemed to help. I have only taken it for 10 days (about 14- 26 a day). I stopped on Saturday and have been slowely coming right,but I do feel sick.
I was glad to read the brave stories posted and feel encouraged to stay off. The large amount was taken as you mentioned. Lying in bed at night, because they really seemed to help me sleep.
My husband is a drug and alcohol councelor and he actually is not the person to talk to.
Jeshuron
i have been prescribed codiene phosphate for ten years for benign brain tumours....i have been prescribed the same dose for the entire 10 years which is 8 x 30mg tablets per day but i tak over 14 a day and i run out of my weekly script in 3 days so a friend gave me methadone tablets when i have never used street drugs and these tablets totally stop the withdrawal symptoms from the codiene phosphate!!!! If i take these methadone tablets without taking codiene will they be out of my system.....my life has been controlled by codiene for a decade it doesnt even take my pain away i am just addicted i am angry with gp for allowing me to get in this state can anyone offer me some advice please.....i am sarah and i am 37 years old thank you
This is pretty old thread.  Go up to top of page and click on orange ask a question button..cut and paste..you will start new thread and this won't be missed.  
By thistime you may not be looking at this forum. You have done so well and I was inspired reading your comment.
I have gone to 9 codiene 30mg per day under the doctors supervision. But I was taking up to 42 - 56 of the Nplus. I have been to the chemists in our town and asked them not to sell me the pills which has stopped me from buying those as well. But I still have a desire to break as far as being numb or motivated. People used to say to me I was the most positive and motivated person they knew. Now it is hard to see myself thinking of tablets each day. I have not even taken panadol for years. The nurofen addiction took only two weeks to become a habit. And to date it has only been 10 weeks since I first used them.
I think what inspired me the most Rello is that you mention excercise as a huge part of recovery. This is ecouraging as I love working out and WORKING full stop.
Many thanks Kerry
You darling girl. I am going to pray you get the right people around you to help you  come off these tablets and that you get the right meds for your problem with your back. I found that by going to my doctor and another one and being comepletely honest, they were able to address al the issues. You may need counceling throughaddiction services etc. Who knows but God does. So honey lets believe for a great pathway of advice and help for you. Much love Jeshuron
Hi there

I currently take 6x 15mg Codiene Phophate and 12 Nurofen Plus 4 times a day. I have been addicted to codiene on and off for 10 years. Familiar story I guess, I was raised by a functioning but abusive alcoholic (mother), divorced my Dad when I was 11. My Dad, whom I was really close to, died when I was 29 and the addiction really took hold then. It started with 2 or three pills once or twice a day to make my grieving a little easier. I have two beautiful children ( I managed to stop taking the pills both times when I was pregnant) and I'm married. Over the last few years my marriage has got pretty bad and we have extreme money worries, all of this led to my addiction spiralling from 6 tablets a day to where I am now. I have been to see my GP and told them what was going on, the Nurofen Plus had started making me ill (stomach cramps and severe indigestion), at first the GP was at a bit of a loss as to what to do for me, however he now prescribes the pure codiene and I top it up as I need to. I have been referred to a psychiatrist to get help with my depression and anxiety and I am planning to go cold turkey next week. The GP is going to support me and is going to provide me with medication to get through the withdrawal process. He reckons it will take 3 to 5 days and will be like severe flu. I am still really frightened of how I am going to be, I want to make sure my children dont see mummy in a bad way, I am not sure what to expect. Most of all I am frightened of who I will be without the codiene. I dont take it now to get 'high', I take it purely to feel normal.
suboxone is the only way to kick this habbit take it from me if you dont stop you may get some of these things that i got from the same habbit taking 96 nurofen plus a day and more. 1st a bleeding stomach ulcer had to have operation to seal hole in stomach 2weeks in ICU 2nd low potassium problems (hyperlymia)? 4 times treated in ICU in hospital for a week this causes paralisys and death if not treated quickly 2x pneumonia week or more in ICU 3rd blood clot in lung 2weeks in ICU and many other trips to doctors for less serious things. I dont want to tell you what to do but see about rehab services in your area tell them you need suboxone, this the only way??? I have been cleen for 12 months dont give up there is a light somewhere in that dark tunnel.
I am a Nurse Manager, i have been addicted to Codeine for 10 years and never able to stop the habit. I have went to my GP but he advised me that to help me i would need to give up my job as he would need to report me. I am in hell, i can't get the help i need because i would need to give up everything. I was first prescribed 30/500 co-codamol as i was a football player in the past. After many years i realized i needed more and more to feed a habit that was becoming out of control. The GP refused to give me any more medication so i started go all over to buy Brufen/codeine. I was so low in the past i intentionally took way too many as i felt there was no way out, it didn't work and here i am pouring my heart out to you guys. The system allowed us to sleepwalk into this and now in the uk their getting tough, but it's too late there are thousands without proper help. I would need to go private at a minimum cost of £6000-£15000, this i can not afford so i am trapped. Ironically i worked in Dettox many years ago and remember the method of choice, Benzo's to put you in a zombie like state till the worst has past and then reduce every day to save another addiction. I am about to take 14 days off work stock up with Multi-vits and benzo's lock the door and either i walk out clean or i don't walk out at all. I can't kill myself slowly any more. It's important to be honest here guys, we will die prematurely and it won't be pretty, thats after we become social outcasts because people will and do notice what were up too. Our bodies will eventually shut down or if were lucky the heart will have enough if the other organs don't, UNLESS we go through the hell and come out the other side. Those of us who make it need to put this right and make sure those behind get the support we didn't. I am you and you are me, united in the misery that is addiction to prescription medication.  
I av currently been taking codine for nearly 2yrs... I am currently taking about 10 a night around 8pm... I used to take 20 so av cut down... I want to come off all tablets as I am trying for a family I tried going c/t but was the worse experiance ever... Told the doctor but he still giving them me... Zapain witch is 500mg of paracitamol an 30mg of codine... I no this is bad for me... I would like some advice on how to come off these!!!! Please help I feel horrible that I av a drug problem... Thanks for listening to me go on... X
Cozz, How are you holding up.  I read your post and relate to it well.  Due to my profession (mental health field) I also cannot really tell anyone about my addiction.  I was prescribed codeine off and on and also took OTC nurofen plus for a long time.  I am currently on day 6 of withdrawal, but have had some set backs.  I bought some Kratom online, which is a Thai herb some have said is used to stop the cycle of opiate addiction.  I used this very sparingly for 5 days and thought I'd just stop after the worst of the withdrawal symptoms.  I also used some benzos for days 1 through 5.  Anyway, the Kratom paired w the benzos helped, but today I felt terrible all over again after stopping both.  I guess I just prolonged the withdrawal..  I would suggest to anyone trying to detox not to prolong it w this stuff, but on the same hand believe that each person is different and this whole process impacts everyone incredibly uniquely.

I got some Hydroxzine Pam today and supposedly this is not addictive and can be used simply to treat anxiety or allergies.  Maybe you should ask your GP for a script for this?

I'm all stocked up on healthy foods too, which has helped.  This forum helps too.. just knowing that there are so many people out there suffering and overcoming.. battling this.

Please don't give up and if you struggle to overcome this, then give yourself time and taper slowly.  Whatever you need to do, just don't give up the fight.  If you are a nurse manager, you're mighty tough to begin with!
Take care and love and peace to all.
OK this may be bad advice - maybe some medical person will know but here's my solution that worked. I was taking 250 to 300 mg of codiene daily for over 20 years. Started on Mersyndol for a back injury from football (a pack a day) but it got too hard to get so I started cwe of 100 packs of panadiene to remove the crap. It was a pretty ugly addiction that resulted in peptic ulcers etc. I went cold turkey for 2 days and was climbing walls until I thought why not try Champix - they cure craving for smokes. Started on a pack my wife had stopped using and the codiene hunger stopped on the first day. Took them for 2 weeks and decided to try stopping them (with trepidation) as they were making me a bit crook with my ulcers - had some really minor cravings the first day and have been fine since. Been clean for over a month now and have absolutely no need for codiene. I still have a pack of 40 in the cupboard and I am not interested at all. I realize taking Champix on ulcers isn't wise but trust me it works like a dream. Only drama is I am still smoking - one step at a time. If anyone tries this good luck - it cured me
Just noticed the names I used may not be the same as US drugs but google will explain them I am sure
i take 8 30mg codeine and 16 500mg of paracetamol a day, i am going through egg donation as i found out i couldnt have children of my own when i heard this it make the codeine additction worse but i need to stop as i wont be eligable for donation if i dont.............please help what is the easiest way to do it? i was thinking cold turkey on monday?
Hi there i am wanting to stop raking panafen plus i am on about 30-40 a day for the last year :( i am scared of the withdrawal, what is the best way to get off these pills? I want to start trying for another baby, my partmer thinks ive already stopped the panafen plus but after just  1 day of c/t i went and got another packet. Im so ashamed of my habbit i thought when it was time to start for our second child i would just stop!! Its so hard. Any advice would b fantastic
Thank you
Thank you
Hi there just read ur story, did the champix really work? I have a prescription that I will use, was it the first dose of champix? It now comes in three seperate doses? I'm going to the chemist I really hope thus works thank you :)
I am too addicted to codeine. My addiction is to tylenol 1's, which have 15 mg of caffeine, 300 mg acetaminophen, and 8 mg of codeine. I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and have uncomfortable side effects from the blood pressure. I need to stop taking these pills not just because they are ridiculous but for my health especially pertaining to my high blood pressure. I started out taking T3's after my son was born 9 years ago. I took the T3's every 2, or sometimes only every 6 months, it was not frequently. About 3-4 years ago I came across the T1's you can get from behind the counter and started taking them in place of the 3's. my initial reason for taking any codeine was due to headaches and body pain. I now HAVE to take T1's because if I don't I get horrible headaches or even migraines without them. The headaches/migraines are horrible and almost unbearable when they reach their peak. I want to stop taking the pills very badly and know I can get through the withdrawal symptoms until I think about the gut wrenching headaches I will surely experience. Has anyone ever gone through codeine withdrawal and suffered horribly from headaches? If I don't take the codeine when I get a headache and try Advil instead which I have done a lot, the Advil does nothing usually for me at this point. I am so lost, afraid and unsure about how to withdrawal the best way and be able to manage the headaches that will happen. Are there any drugs/prescriptions out there I can get from the pharmacist or even a doctor that I can still detox from the codeine but yet not suffer horrible headaches and/or start an addiction to another pain reliever?????
Hey,

That is very good advice. I am taking the exact same approach. I have been taking between 150mg - 250mg of codeine daily for over 5 years. Was also smoking around 3g-4g of pot (around 30-35 comes a day,

I have not had any codeine or pot for almost 2 weeks now. I am at around day 12 of cold turkey.

I could not eat for the first 3 days. I started eating soups and then began eating good food daily. 3 meals a day. Bit of fruit in the morning with yoghurt, healthy chicken salad sandwich for lunch and healthy soup for dinner or good steak with vegitables.

I exercise every morning (push ups, sit ups and a short 10 minute jog) Drinking nothing but water, fresh Juice and sustigen.

I got through the diarrhoea and nausea/vomiting without using anything. This is extremely difficult and takes a lot of will power. I still can't sleep and have the lower back pain. I can only continue this routine until this rubbish is completely out and the brain has readjusted. I agree continuing this lifestyle will help stay clean.

I believe this is the best method and want to go to drug counselling to give and receive support. I thing group therapy is good after complete detox.

Jerry Springers final thought:

1. Mental strength is key. U want your life back fu!!@ng take it back! Don't let the drug control you, we all have more strength then we think.

2. No other drugs alcohol or coffee/energy drinks. You will only replace one addiction with another and coffee/energy drinks will make the insomnia so much worse,

3. Don't touch any benzoes (Diazipam/Valium, tamazapam, nor mission) This is worse then codeine and much more difficult to detox from. Only use these if you are given them in a mental health ward under supervision. Take only what they give you and don't sneak **** into the ward if you are serious about detox.

4. Gastro stop, emodium etc for the scat attacks.

5. Stemitole, Maxilon for nausea/vomiting but the best thing is zofram wafers if you can get them (they are not cheap)

6. Hot baths/showers, spa, steam room, sauna, dencorub, deep heat etc. if it is a hot night have a cool shower before trying to sleep. It won't be easy bunt don't give up till you can sleep again.

7. Don't do crazy physical exercise at night to try get tyred. This releases natural hormones in the body that give you energy and it will be harder to sleep. Stretching your legs and back before bed will help.

8. If you are a smoker don't try quit both codeine and smoking at the same time. Get off the junk first then quit smoking. (Dr can give you champix or zibane to quit) Try not to smoke a few hours before bed. Nicotine makes it harder to sleep.

9.Back to point one. Don't crack. Thing get worse over the first 4-6 days then slowly improve. Above tips will really help you don't gone up.

10. Take care of your self and each other :-)