Cold Turkey Quitting 400mg of Oxycontin a Day
I am new to this group and I guess forums in general.  I have read many and have not really had my question answered.  I have been an addict for about a year and a half now, it started with percocet and vicodin here and there and graduated to pure forms of Oxymorphone and Oxycodone.  The problem with me is, I never had any physical pain.  No accident, surgery, fall, etc that would cause me to go on narcotics.  So since I was taking for purely recreational reasons I would take what I could find.  With the exception of heroin and needles, I did it.  My steadiest supply was of 80 mg Oxycontins, and when I first started taking them, I would take one a day, 2 at most.  That was six months ago. As of the last month, it would take me at least 5 (400mg) to get the "high".  Well besides having a ridiculous tolerance to these pills, they have eaten away at any extra money I have come across (easily $20,000 in the last year).  So enough is enough.  Now I have gone through WD's before, going through days of not having supply, but to my knowledge the longest I made it without giving in is about 5 or 6 days.  My main question is this: Who has been successful at really quitting? I cannot get hold of any methadone or suboxone, so OTC is my only saving grace.  I am on day 2 right now, and hoping to REALLY quit this addiction for good.  It will either kill or impoverish me if I don't.
~Hi and welcome! There have been many members (most will be on later) that have years of sobriety so It is doable. You need to look at the underlying issue that kept you abusing the pills,,like maybe depression and you need to address that. I too came off a monster oxycodone addiction,,I used because I simply enjoyed them at one time,,then I took them just to feel normal,,then they turned on me and I felt like crap and was constantly chasing that high I had in the beginning,,thus putting me further in the hole. I was depressed. The pills mess up all the chemicals in your brain anyways. I sought aftercare and NA this time. That has made a huge difference. Yes there are many success stories on here! I wish you the best! ~Bkitty