Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Cold Turkey withdrawal..

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Cold Turkey withdrawal..

When I was in the hospital they cold turkey'd me off of Valium.

Can I still be suffering from withdrawal right now.  I have called a couple of places and they say I am not.

What should I do?

Thanks,

Liz
They c/t you off vailuum wow. I'm shocked that they would do that. How long were you on them and how long has it been since you came off them? that will determine whether you could still be in physical w/d's
Making someone go cold turkey off of valium or any kind of Benzo is down right dangerous and unorthodox. It is forbidden by any doctor to do that. Benzos are ten times harder to get off of that opiates. Averager recovery is  6 to 18 months. Some are different. I was on 1,5 milligrams of xanax for 9 years and then swithched over to valium to taper off. Starting at 40 milligrams and now down to ten after 9 months, It is a slow process. The Wd symptoms you get from benzo WD are totally different than opiates. You need to find a Dr. who wll taper you down. It does work.               elvistcb
To tell you the truth I've been on benzos for 17 years.  They did cold turkey me off of Valium and I am paying the price right now.
I have taken xanax for 20 yrs or so and only took them periodically mostly.  on occasion i would take 1 a day and very seldom 2 a day, but it would take me several months to empty my refill of 90 per month.  I had to swith psychiatrists because my regular one had to drop most patients due to health reasons.  My new psychiatrist has taken me off the xanax cold turkey a month ago because he does not believe in them.  My primary care dr. will not prescribe them because she says it is a psychiatrists job to prescribe these meds.  My blood pressure which she is treating remained high for weeks and was so high on average of 186/112.  i am 58 years old and she is treating me for high blood pressure but won't help with the anxiety.  i can't believe any dr. would make someone go cold turkey off a medication even though it took me 3 months to empty one refill.  it seems all drs. are getting afraid to prescribe  these meds.  I was told if i chose to do so i had a malpractice lawsuit on the dr.  i was in bad shape for several weeks, i could not think straight, my body shook constantly inside, my blood felt like poison running thru my veins.  it was terrible and i even went to another practice seeking help but they would not help me.  i initially went to them to try to get a prescription for xanax for relief from withdrawals and they turned me down.  i went back later when i was going thru withdrawals to get help with getting off the meds and they said they would not see me.  i begged for help and they threated to call security if i did not leave.  Its terrible when someone has to beg for relief getting off meds.  I hope this post will help someone else going thru similar circumstances.  An animal should not have to go thru what i am still going thru.  I cannot stop shaking inside without medication.