Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Coming of a 6-year Vicodin addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Coming of a 6-year Vicodin addiction

I am weening myself off of Vicodin, my maintenance medication of the past 6 years. I say maintenance because I've taken it to maintain my life as a functioning addict who's been too fearful of withdrawals "ruining" my life. Despite my addiction I have had great success at a young age, but a demanding schedule has always been an excuse to put off what I truly want--recovering.

I have been using upwards to 8-10 10mg Hydrocodon tablets a day for years, whatever legitimate need I had for them has long passed and whatever "buzz" I achieved by taking them is long forgotten. I take them to avoid withdrawals, but I have started the process of breaking the chain which binds me to them. I'm just tired of needing them, so incredibly tired of the aching and sickness that comes when I go for a few hours without them. I no longer want to wake up feeling the effects of a withdrawal, staggering to grab a couple pills to give me the morning jumpstart I need to move. Bon voyage, little white oval bastards.

Three days ago I started to tapper, knocked 2-pills off my daily quota. Yesterday I knocked another pill, today I have taken the same as yesterday though I woke 3-hours earlier and have been awake a couple hours later. Tomorrow I'm hoping to be down to 4 1/2 to 5 pills. I am hoping to achieve a continuous drop but I fear my work week may prove more challenging than the weekend was, though it may be easier with more distractions. What is a healthy tapper for success? I am just looking for some examples and support, any and all will be appreciated.
"off" not "of"...touchscreens do me no favors.
I have been trying to wean too and I have to say, once you get to feeling bad....and you will feel bad if you continue to wean.... you will find yourself upping your dose to function.... You've cut your dose in half.... if you can keep weaning, do what works for you. Once I got to a certain dose, I felt the only way to really give them up was to stop ct. It isn't fun and I feel terrible but I'm on day 2 and going strong.... sort of. like I said, it isn't easy. Good luck!  Now, I'm going to soak my achy body in a tub of hot water per the advise of some of the wonderful people on here.
hi and welcome to MH. so happy for you that you want to reclaim your life. yes the chains of aondage and addiction can be broken.
tapering definitely will lengthen the withdrawals they arent as severe but longer.
many have worked through their detox keeping the mind and body busy are very helpful.
keep your hydrated, gatorade,vitamin waters, vitamins help magnesium,potassium,multi
hot baths with epsom salts, immodium for bathroom issues, exercise,
flsuh the pills, cancel the script freedom is yours for the taking
i am praying for you to be strong
keep the faith
debbie
i also weened myself down over a 2 week period and while i wasn't in bed writhing (given my amount of DOC), i still felt everything just a little milder. i'm 5 days with nothing and i'm functioning...

i believe that we are all different in the ways of ceasing the abuse but the end result is the same, life. i was never one to go cold turkey so weening down was the way i had to do it. you truly CAN do this and it is so worth it....
Well it's after 5pm and I have taken only a pill and a half--one this morning at 8am, another half at noon. I have tried cold turkey before but it devastated me and I was not prepared. I feel okay right now, a lot better than I would have expected having only taken 1 1/2 when two days ago I would have already taken 5-6 at this point in the day. I believe tapering down is my best chance, I know it won't be easy either way, but hitting the brakes at 30mph should make the impact softer than locking them up at 100mph.

Thank you for the support and prayers, I'm incredibly excited to have made these steps over the past few days and greet this pain happily if it means I will have my life back. I know the up will return after the down but realize it does not come easy.