Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Coming off Codeine

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Coming off Codeine

Ive been looking at this site for a while now and this is the first time i have posted. I started off about 3 and a half yaers ago taking regular cocodamol 30/500 .about 8 a day. I guess I started off taking them after a c-section left me with bad back ache and the rest is history. I enjoyed the way they made me feel and before I knew it I couldnt face the day without them. We moved to Australia recently and i can no longer get my script here so I am buying over the counter codeine pain killers with 15g codeine. Again I take about 8-10 per day. I have reached the point where i desperatly want to get off these tablets,they are making me into someone i dont know,i am snapping at the kids( i have 3 beautiful children 7,5, and 3.) Ihave no energy any more and i just dont want to be dependent on them. So i decided i would go cold turkey as i wasnt sure if i couyld taper down. I am now on day 3 and after finding the first 2 days not too bad im struggling today and was very close to getting some earlier and changing to the taper method.How long should the withdrawal last from the dose of codeine i was taking. I dont want to give in now but cant bear feeling  like this.
Hi Shazzer.. Welcome to the forum. It has been awhile I sure hope you did not cave You are on the worst day for wd Day 3 and 4 but when 4 is over a lot feel a easing of the wd.. You have been here for awhile so you have picked up on all the tips to help ease this ? anyway I wanted to add my support and say You can do this !! Your children your life is worth it. You are in one of the most Beautiful places in the world It is hard to get out and enjoy it as a active addict.. There are so many reasons to continue and none really to start again.. You can do this... lesa
Hi Lesa,thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post,it means alot to me.Well i talked my way through day 3 and am now onto day 4 .I just decided it wasnt worth having to start over again and really my wd is not as severe as some i have read about on here. I know there is light at the end of the tunnel and think if i can keep busy so i dont have time to sit and think about the pillls that will help. Australia is beautiful but Im very homesick at the minute ,missing my family and friends alot.But those are things that are keeping me going too my family and friends. No one ia aware of how ive been taking these pills and i dont want them to find out.So im determined to beat them and get my life back.Thanks again.x
hey mate i just wanted to say hi n ur not alone im in oz too congrats on day4 ur killing it itll get better little bit day by day stay strong mate U CAN DO THIS <3
Hi thanks so much for your reply, i just keep telling myself the next day will be easier, so glad i found this site. Are you from Oz are have you moved here like myself. And are you in wd from painkillers too or have you succeded.x
me too i love this site so glad i found it too ive lived here in oz all my life wish i could travel ive been trying to get better for a while had to have major surg recently im down to half tab nearly off hate wds stay strong mate hters amazing peopl here mwah hugs xoxox
its ment to be theres amazing people here keep posting mate everyday gets easier mate xoxox