Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Coping as a parent of herion addict.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Coping as a parent of herion addict.

My 26 year old son is addicted to herion. I have two teenagers still at home and we are having a very difficult time coping . I recently kicked him out of our home after finding a tourniquet lying on the bathroom floor. He denied that it was his of course. I really thought he was done with this. I guess I was in denial. The first time I became aware of his addiction was about a year ago. He was found by his little Sister passed out naked on the bathroom floor,blue around the lips with a syringe hanging out of his arm. He has been to rehab 3 times since then (In-house). I really believed that he was done with this. I guess my question is how do we cope. I know that continuing to let him live in our home is harmful to all of us including him(enabling). I found out that the same day that he left he was found in an alley by the police  with a syringe in his arm and arrested. Apparently he was released hours later the same day. It was easy for me when I was mad at him the day i kicked him out but now I feel helpless and sad.I am so worried the next call will be from the mourge. My kids are also suffering so much. Everyday that goes by they worry about him and wonder if he is dead on the side of the road or if he is trying to get help. My families heart is breaking and I don't know what to do. We don't know where to go for help. Is anyone else out there going through this?
Hello gladiolagal, and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to read about your son.. There are many family members here that share your experiences.. it is late our rather early so a lil quiet right now.. Have you looked into alanon.. it is a support group for family members of addicts. they teach you coping skills and it helps to have others that understand what you all are going through.. they can be found in just about any town. as for your son he has not hit a bottom that for him makes him want to give up his addiction.. I will send a prayer up for him that he realizes how deep he is before it is to late.. again so sorry for the pain you and yours are feeling.. lesa
THANK YOU !
I suffer from narcotic addiction, and I am 27 years old. So very similar situation as your son. I do not come from a family back ground of addiction or alcoholics, so this was very new to them. As Lesa, 10356 mentioned, Alanon! My family attends regular meetings and I owe a lot to that group as I now have complete love and support from my family, whereas before it was "just buck up and quit". Yeah, right! I wish! If only it were that easy! Anyhow, I just wanted to mention Alanon for the mere reason I believed it has saved my mother from my drug addiction, especially coming off a relapse. Good luck!
THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT !
Hi im a heroin addict clean for 5 1/2 months I know as a mom you must worry constantly. When i was using heroin my family had enough and would not even talk to me. when i got clean only then did i realise what i put my family through. Your son will only stop when he hits his bottom it took me 13 years for me to stop.That drug is powerful its hard plz tell him not to fear w/ds they are not nice but it wont physicaly harm him. Can you not get your son to come on mh or ask him to read my jurnals.Its better he stops now he does not want to waste his good years I wish you and your family that also includes your son the very best of luck God bless ,,,,James
Please don't take this as trivializing your problem, but I wanted to tell you this year is the first year off pain meds for me and with the increase in energy I have planted lots of flowers, includeing some glads. I am so crazy about them I go out at about 6am every morning to see what has opened and admire how beautiful they are. I'm assuming you like glads also from your name. I'm very sorry for your situation, other than alnon I don't have any ideas, but my experience has been as an addict, more than the other side. You will get some help here before long though.
Thank You James. May God Bless you and keep you and your family close. Lisa
Thank You Immcoy. A few years back I got cancer and had to have surgery and chemotherapy. I was sick for a long time. Lots of people say that after they have looked death in the eye they have a new lease on life. The one thing that is really different for me and always brings me joy now are the color and incredible beauty of flowers. I know I'm nuts:)
Thank You for responding to my post.    
Wow well after reading your story I thought I'd share with you mine, I'm a recovering heroin addict and not in his defense but heroin is one tough drug to kick due to the strong cravings when not using or detoxing! It can be done though I am living proof was on heroin for 2 yrs! Suboxone works great check into it
The reason suboxone works so well is it blocks cravings so the user can go on with a normal day to day life without it and also works because addicts know once on suboxone they will not feel affdects of other drugs
Thank you Blondie98705......I know this sounds crazy but after doing some research about herion and the way it makes a person feel...WHO WOULD'NT WANT TO ENJOY IT I think ???? It's just so very frightening for this mom knowing and having watched my son suffer so much. I wish there was something I could do to make his life better. Is suboxone different from the way methedone works? Thanks:)