Cough Srup usage

I need to know if excessive consumption of corex cough syrup has any effect on the liver
I am not familiar with this brand of cough syrup, but every medicine, regardless of it being abused has the potential to harm our bodies..especially when used improperly..
Corex is a cough syrup sold by Pfizer Inc., a global pharmaceutical company. It is available in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and a few other South Asian countries. Corex is a prescribed medicine and can only be bought with a prescription from a general physician.

Its active ingredients are chlorpheniramine maleate and codeine phosphate.

Corex is one of the most commonly available over the counter drugs in India, and is used as a cheap and readily available substitute for Codeine.

Legally, Corex can only be obtained by a physician's prescription, but studies show that more than 90% of the product is sold without any prescription.

Corex is not generally a fatal drug substitute, unless taken in extremely high quantities. However, many side effects are common. Corex is known to cause short term memory loss, sleeplessness, tremors and spasms. Muscular pains and dehydration are other common side-effects.

Long term abuse leads to serious kidney damage. Corex has a high sugar content, and may be unsuitable for acute diabetic patients.

Hope this helps answer your question.
I ws on Corex/Rexcof(..you name it), for 3-4 MONTHS. It was all good and felt nice and I was full with empathy and with "generally elevated mood"....

Then it went to taking 3, 6. then sometimes 10 bottles every day..rather I should say, every evening, since i used to stay awake all night(doing crosswords, drinking tea!!),
and miss my work during day and sleep till evening. This was my routine, till I lost my job and went to have a detox! So, my suggestion is taper it off...

And it sure did harm my liver (had my liver function test done). But then, I was on other opiate based prescription medicine as well...

(P.S. sent you a note as well since was not sure if you still on this thread)