Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Craving sweets

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Craving sweets

My son is an admitted heroin user.  Said he hadn't used in 5 days - showed sympotms of withdrawl (withdrawal) (nausea, diarreah (diarrhea), muscle/bone cramps.......) and I thought he would be able to stop (if he wanted to).  Why did he show such a craving for sweet drinks and licorice or candy (mostly licorice).  He also constantly chews on straws or baggies.
Hey....let me know what you  find out...he's back!!!!!
That is odd....he chews on straws and baggies? I have chewed on straws when I have been trying to quit smoking. I never heard the baggie thing before.
At least he won't harm his teeth with the baggies.  
Its quite common for Herion users to crave sweets....I dotn have an answer why , I just know its quite common...I crave alot of sweets and alot of herion users have been known to eat alot of chocolate....
In the begining when I started taking Vicodin - I'd slightly lose my appetite. It was a bit concerting to me, because I was already thin.

Well, that wasn't a concern for long - within a couple months, I craved Ice Cream like no one ever has. I was eating 1200/1500 calories a day, just from ice cream - on top of my 3 some/what square meals a day.

In 3 years, I gained nearly 40lbs. When in WD's, I tend to not want sweets (not sure why), and crave more wholesome foods - like soups (something I wouldn't touch before my addiction lol).
He is thin, and when he first came home didn't crave sweets.  We've never had a lot of those around.  Anyway, I always left a meal in the fridge for him and he'd eat it when he came home after work ( 3 course meals).  Then he started not eating them or much of anything else except cereal sometimes.  Then he wanted Kool-Aid or fruit juice or licorice or popsicles.  He's also very volitle and sleeps a lot.  Just trying to figure out if he's not using or has given up trying not to use and is using again.  I'm sure he uses other drugs (pain pills) and aderol (adderall).  Just trying to figure it all out.
I'm not sure sure what is going on with your son.  You said he chews on things a lot?  The first thing that popped into my head was meth or some prescription similar (ateraol -sorry about the spelling).  I know when I used to try and kick H or OXY I would sometimes get meth - it really did help with the initial withdraws process.  I would never recommend, because for me I just switched addictions.  The I went on the "uppers" roller coaster ride for a while.

The sweets thing, yeah thats pretty normal.  I lived on captain crunch for 3 years.  
I've been taking vicodin ES for many years, I am now ready to stop and take charge of my life again, my question and problem is sweets..I crave sweets like a mad person. Will that go away if so when? What's the best way to stop taking this stuff...it's kind of scary to quit, but I know that it's for the best. I take about 6 pills throughout a day...3in the morning 3 in the afternoon. I can't believe i've done this to myself..geez.

Grand....

This is an old post. Please go to the top of this page and hit the post a question button. You will find a lot of help in the forum.
I was addicted to heroin for 4 years i didn' t hardly eat but when i did it would be anything sweet that i could get my hands on. i hung out with a lot of other users too and it turns out that every one has  a prefrence in sweet when they become an addict. You will eat just about anything sweet when you get the craving but you always have a certain thing that you prefer. Mine was popsicles and soda. Then it changed up to a couple other things. My boyfriend would get 50 packs of starburst and eat them 24 hours a day. Another friend of mine would go to mc donalds everyday after using and get fudge sundays off the dollar menu. So as long as you are a heroin addict you crave sweets. And the sweets may be something you didn't even like before you became an addict because while you are an addict you are not the person you were before AT ALL. I have been on methadone now for 2 years and even though methadone is not an opioid like heroin or pain killers it acts as and opioid in your body so the sweets i crave are a lot different now then when i was using heroin. Now i will eat cupcakes and ice cream, soda, hard candy like lolly pops, lemon heads and stuff like that
yes! i was to once addicted to herion/oxys and i craved icecream candy anything sweet! now i am detoxing from methadone when i was first on it and on a high dose i craved sweets more i gained 60 pounds from methadone cereal was my main course every course! me and my husband were on it and i know that if ur an addit u will crave sweets when u r not on it u wont as much! i am currently detoxing and i lost 30 pounds and not craveing sweets as much nemore which is great for me! and yes if ur son is chewing on straws he is high mostly uppers do that but ne drug will i have done both and i done this same with both
omg....recently i had my wisdoms pulled out bout a week n a half ago...and im on my 3rd refill of vicodin...since the past two days i had an intense craving for ice cream n cinamon rolls sweets basically....id lost 8 pounds...felt nausea and had diarea (diarrhea) what do i do to kick this bad habit from getting n e worse then its becoming?