Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Crawling out of my skin from withdrawal!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi, I originally posted on 4/5 & started my withdrawal and have tapering off since. Today is my one last pill to take. I feel like I'm going to crawl out of my skin! I've been  doing all the suggestions everyone has posted which helped & would have been worse without. The RLS was so painful but the Hylands Leg Cramps helped tremendously. Im having trouble with the mental part & keep thinking will one more Vic help? We know where that gets us & we keeping taking more. I know I have come too far to think that way but it was 10 years since I've been taking Vic's & it's not going to take over night to get through it. But the worst is feeling like I'm crawling out of my skin & i toss & turn all night. I feel bad for my husband so in the middle of the night I try & sleep on the couch so he can at least get some sleep. I'm also taking Lexapro for the depression & small pieces 1/4 of Xanax for the anxiety I've been having. Anyways, any suggestions would help. I know you all been through this & posting here helps me tremendously! Knowing there are people like me & not be ashamed about it. OK I'm rambling as I'm so tired. Please help!!! THANK YOU ALL!!
Also I have to say my mind Is a lot more clear even in 6 days but the mental part & crawling out of my skin is the worst. But so happy my head is getting clearer every day. That's what I'm looking forward too... Thank you for listening & caring all
Morning!

The crawling out of your skin feeling can often come during a taper. I was never any good at it and would just rip the band-aid off sort of speak.

I am glad to hear you are down to your last pill and on your way to being clean! I don't know your story and why you were taking the pills but I do recommend some form of aftercare to deal with the mental side of your addiction. That is so much harder than the physical and can be the sticking point for STAYING clean. I suggest that you join a support group, seek counseling...whatever you are comfortable with.

Keep posting here and talking. There is a lot of good support here. You are almost out of the woods physically so hang in there and whatever you do don't use!!
Morning - I know you know "one more pill" is only delaying the inevitable at this point but I wanted to reinforce that.  Yes one more pill takes the edge off but only because you are giving your body what it wants so just resist.  At some point tapering just prolongs what you have to go through.

The only way out of opiates is straight through, head on.   Remember lots of hot showers once you really go into withdrawals that will give you some relief of the cold sweats and creepy crawlies.  

Hunkder down for the next few days and keep posting, it will help keep you connected and distract you.

Hi there and good job on the tapering.   It's tough for alot of people, which is why so many quit cold turkey.  

You wrote that today is your last day - You could just get the tapering overwith and start your withdrawal now and flush that last vicodin.  It doesn't sound like it's helping much any longer since you're already going through withdrawals.  And the sooner you start, the sooner you'll finish.  
Just a thought.  

You're doing all of the right things to help you physically;  the mental part is so much harder as you already know.  My best advice to you is to just give it time - it's really the only thing that will get you back to your old self again.  In the meantime, check out the health pages for foods that naturally increase dopamine levels  -  here is the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Addiction/Foods-that-Increase-Dopamine-Naturally/show/594?cid=66

Also, exercise is one of the best ways to burn out that anxiety get those endorphins going again.  

I know how miserable this is for you, but you have to go through it to get back to your old self again.  Just stay busy and keep your mind occupied as much as possible.  You might want to try benedryl at night for help with sleep.  

Keep posting so we know how you're doing.  You can DO this!  

Sandy ♦
Hi wenn,

You have done such a fantastic job with tapering. As I have said before, a lot of us don't have that type of discipline. I agree with the others above... Go ahead and flush that thing! We can have a flush party and I will flush in your honor ;)

Keep up the good work. Post as often as you need. Sooo... Is it time to flush yet??! ;)
You are doing great so keep moving forward.  Get up and move around as much as you can.  You should start feeling better soon.  Remember that one pill is too many and a 1,000 is never enough.  Stay strong and do whatever you need to do to stay clean.  sara
  Hi...I had that crawlie thing and what really helped when I felt like that was going outside on a run or a brisk walk...I know you probably don't feel like it...but you just have to push yourself...I promise it will help you so much!....
Thank you all for posting. This day is rough & only going to get tougher but I knowi can do it. IWILL.. I've beenn taking walks, & baths but today I'll be taking a llllong hot bath with Epsom salt. I just one the crawling out of my skin over with but again it takes time as I've been doing this for 10 years & this can't happen over night. It's raining here but I'll put a hoodie on to get out of the house for a walk too. Thanks for the encouragement!
Minn thanks for being there from beginning... You're amazing..xo
Great article. I've been eating some of those items but the others are great info.... THANKS
I feel this is my support system. But I know I need to either go to NAbut not sure if I can do that, but maybe counseling?
whats helped me is being on here... in some little way helping others guess this has been my support system !!! keep up the good work with the WD and hang in there....i know it will seem like forever but it will be over soon you can do this and were all here for you
It has helped tremendously posting on here... I know I have a very long road ahead. Your mind takes over you but have to think what's ahead. A clear mind!!
Article is awesome! I printed it out & will definetly refer to it. THANK YOU sandy!
I am proud of you winn just remind yourself be kind. don't think to deep about it. just go with it. don't resist it. have gatoraide and all your stuff ready. the first few days are the bad ones. but dear Minn is right. talk yourself into having the flu. and the flu goes away in a few days. also hot baths. the hot water for soaking will help relax you. Im glad you want to stop this insane life we live on pills. nobody wants this. imagine living like this for life.....up and down up and down. now that's scarey when i quit i kept telling myself. i choose healthy. i choose to get clean. i choose. and that helps me stay on track. just go slow. and be gentle with yourself. when your brain tries to trick you back to pills...remembers its just a trick. and cravings only last up to 30 minutes. read or put some good comedy on. settle down with your comfy things...and were all here.
Thank you... I keep thinking how am I going to do this with such bad back pain? But I'm getting an epidural next week hopefully that will help. It's so true! When I was taking pills ( this is my first day without) how can I keep taking these forever? There is no way. I felt good in the beginning but than u keep adding more & more cuz your body gets used to them. I CHOOSE healthy.i can do this. It's just my first day off since I tapered so easier said than done but I have to think positive. I dragged myself out of bed today to go walking. Boy, that was hard but I did it. Laying in bed just makes you think more & more about it plus your back gets worse not being somewhat active. Anyways, I'm rambling but thanks for your post... Glad you are here... I only hope to help others once I get better... Thank u
hey wenn.....hope your feeling ok !!!! i know you've been tapering down and your next 4-5 are starting just wanted to let ya know myself along with everybody are here for ya you've got a good plan down your going to do this and get it done i'm sure of that !!! hang in there my friend in a few tough days you will be feeling better,better and better keep us posted it helps you and helps us
Thanks Steve. Today is my 2nd day off of them & I just keep thinking it's the FLU! I will get through this. Thanks for posting. It does help posting & reading other posts with same situation. Helping each other with this vicious cycle. Thanks again for your post
Minn, I just want to say thank you so much for all your advice, suggestions, knowledge. You have been there for me from the beginning. I so appreciate it.
Hi wenn, you are so sweet! I hope you are having a good day today. I'm still ready to flush in your honor ;) Keep up the excellent work!
Considering that you've used for 10 years, you're actually doing great. And if you do the math, so to speak, you really don't have that long a road ahead of you. Example - I abused for about 15 years; I've been clean for 102 days and feel great, however, I started feeling almost normal at about day 21. Keeping in mind that we're all different, I think that after abusing for 15 years, 21 days is not a bad recovery time. Don't get me wrong - I NEVER want to go through that again; I'm just saying that you need to look at the time ahead in a positive light...You do get better every day, and before you know it you'll be on the forum celebrating your 30, 60, 90.....
Lol I have no more to flush! Yeah... Done.. Now just dealing with the mind and trying to control my thoughts. I've been on these for soooo many years like a lot of people on here but your encouragement & strength & everyone else's is amazing. I had no idea in the beginning of such a forum as I never reached out before. Thank goodness I did. Have a great weekend!
Yay! I have gone ahead and flushed anyway :D You have a great weekend too!
Thanks Kyle. Congrats to your 102 days! Amazing.... I have a long way to go since its only 2 days off of them but in that past 10 years I never had 2 days of not having Vic's. So I'm going to keep it up & keep posting & reading which helps so much especially when your down & out. Thanks for your post Kyle... Enjoy your weekend
way to go wenn !!!!! keep lookin in the right mind set thats two day and counting soon you'll be lookin back and saying WOW !!!! those days and that Crap was tough  !!! BUT NOT TOUGHER THAN ME !! I DID IT !! hang in there wenn.....i'll be a pray-n easy days for ya
I'm having a very similar experience. My withdrawal is from Tramadol. I've been on quite a high dosage of 800mg a day. It was recently recommended by my doctor to come off them as I've been getting muscle spasms in my arms and legs. Some are quite violent to the point I'm in a lot of pain, like I've been running a marathon or something and my legs have been overworked.

I've been tapering down and dropping 50mg every 5th day. I felt it for the first day or so, but then it eased off. When I got down to 100mg a day a few days ago. I came off them as I had no more left and my doctors have removed them from my prescriptions now, so had to come off completley. It's been almost 48 hours and the withdrawals aren't seeming to let up.

The crawling under my skin and the aching of my bones are the worst. I can cope with the hot and cold sweats, but the crawling is driving me insane. My partner is trying to be understanding, but unless you've experienced drug withdrawal, it's hard to for them to empathise.

I just want the crawling under my skin to stop, I just don't know what to do.
Hi Alexis
You may get more advice if you start your own thread.  The bad part of the physical withdrawal usually lasts 3 to 4 days.  It peaks on day 3 or 4 and then it eases off.  You are almost there.  
Make sure you are drinking lots of water or gatorade.  Get some Boost or Ensure and a good multi vitamin.  Imodium (immodium) is a necessity for most of us and it actually gives relief for the obvious and for the withdrawals.
Scroll down to the bottom right hand side of this page and read the Thomas Recipe.  There are many things listed that really help with the withdrawal pain.
The crawling under your skin was the worst part of my withdrawals as well.  It is impossible to get comfortable when you are going thru that.
I know the first time I went thru this I caved on day 3 and took a few pills and didn't realize that it was almost over.
I really feel for you as it is hell but you can do it.  Try and walk when it gets really bad.  I paced or just sat on my bed and rocked.
Keep posting and if you can, start your own thread.
Also, Tramadol really does need to be tapered as it can cause seizures.  I am not trying to scare you but I don't know if you have tapered enough for this not to be a concern at this point.
Please start your own post so someone who is more familiar with Tramadol can give you better advice.  
I am thinking about you and hoping to hear from you.
Pat
Thanks for your messages Pat. I managed to get about 3 hours sleep this morning. Feeling a little better, although, had I had some Tramadol in the house. I really don't think I would have been strong enough not to cave in and have some to take the edge off. It's now been 52 hours since my last dose.

I have been using Imodium (immodium) already. Which is a start contrast from having to take Laxido, due to the Tramadol heavily constipating me while taking it.

I'm just glad to find other people who completely understand what I am going through right now. It really does help and make a difference. As I now know it's not all in my head. And reading about other peoples experiences and knowing that you can come through gives me a bit more confidence in overcoming it.

I just wish my doctors would have informed me of the risks of addiction. I've been prescribed medications before that need to be tapered down before ceasing, but never experienced withdrawal symptoms like this before.

Really appreciate your response. And I'll take your advice and create a new topic.

Thank you :)