Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Curiosity Xanax vs, Valium

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Curiosity Xanax vs, Valium

Just wanted to take a survey cause of a question my Fience "Can't Spell" asked me yesterday.
Which is stronger 2 mg of xanax or 10mg of Valium
Let me know what you all think. I think they are about equal. Just work slightly different.
Avatar n tn
IT would depend on how long you have been on valium,,valium has an extremely long half life and it stays in your system longer,,I would only think that valium would be much stronger over time ,,benzo's are also very hard to quit and can be very serious when quitting,,could have seizures,,,,ect alot like alcohol....anyways my guess would be valium,Only over time...if they were compared as taken only i time then I would believe they are the same..bugz
I think that the Diazepam (Valium) would be stronger...as the Alprazolam (xanax) is a shorter acting benzo. So yes they both do work differently...and mg wise..hmm....from my own personal experience..I stick to the Valium.

I was on them both and actually the xanax did not work for me...I was then switched to the valium...the xanax wasn't strong enough for me, at least I did not think so and as I said is much shorter acting and did not seem as strong.

I then went from those to now Klonopin..which works great for me. This one is even longer acting than the others. Been on these, same dose now for 5yrs.

But to answer your q'n I would say the Valium.
Let me know what you find out.
According to the pharmacological benzodiazapine equivalent chart, 10mg of Vailium is equivalent to .5mg of Xanax. The half life of Valium is much higher, approx. 48hrs, compared to Xanax, approx.4-8hrs. So when asking which one is stronger, 2mg xanax or 10mg valium...2mg of xanax is 4 times more potent than 10mg of valium. The xanax just does not stay in your body/blood stream as long and it wares off quicker than valium.

-Nick-