DARVOCET AND TRAMADOL
I have been on Darvocet (3 x day) for ten years.  I have severe scoliosis, deteriorating disks and bone spurs in my neck.  With Darvocet being withdrawn from the market, my doctor put me on Tramadol, 2 x day. Today is my first day on the new meds, I feel rather out of sorts but not too bad yet.  Can't tell yet whether it's helping pain or not, since I always hurt.  Has anyone else switched to Tramadol?  With the Darvocet dose I've been on, can I expect severe withdrawal symptoms?  Thanks for your input.  
Darvocet is considered a narcotic, whereas Tramodol is not. Therefore if you where on Darvocet forf that many years, you may experience mild withdrawl symptoms. I would work closely with your prescriber on dosing and this medication as Tramodol is not as strong as Darvocet, being that it's not a narcotic. Tramodol, however, is good for pain in that it's great for inflammation.
Sorry but this information is incorrect.  Tramadol is what is know as a partial opiate agonist, that is it acts on the same opiate receptors as what you are calling narcotics.  It is combined with an SNRI antidepressant which is very similar to effexor.  The theory is that combining  an antidepressant with an opiate will enhance the painkilling properties of the opiate so that a "milder" opiate can be used.

Straight tramadol has no effect on inflammation unless it is combined with ibuprofen as in Ultracet, in which case it is the ibuprofen that is acting as an anti-inflammatory.

Tramadol does seem to work for some chronic pain patients but due to the presence of the opiate commonly does have the same tolerance effects as other opiates.

Dixie, as you have been on Darvocet for 10 years without developing any tolerance effects, you may find tramadol works for you.  People in the pain management forum may have some more feedback.

Best wishes.
Whoops......bad info sladylani!  Tramadol is no good for inflammation and does very little for pain.  As far as I am concerned, it's WAY worse than darvocet to stop as far as WDs go.  I have done both.  Tram was by far worse!  But...the way you see if is a pretty common misconception in the medical field and public in general.  

I would definitely take something else.  Your doc will know best, and you should talk with him about it.  It's a VERY dangerous drug!  Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!