Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
DIfferance between morphine in pill and say oxy?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

No it's not for me....

I just found out my 65 year old mother in law is on time released morphine pills and wondering what is the differnce between that and say a 40mg time released dose of oxy.  Apparently her insurance doesn't cover this pill, they are struggling hard (live 2200 miles away). She was first prescribed Skelaton and T3? Skelaton wasn't covered and it took them almost 2 weeks to save for it, she was in pain for 2 weeks, pain obviously that needed more than that and moved her to morphine, heard from family that it is making her extremly loopy, mean, brought back bad memories to one of hubby's siblings of how their mom was when she was drinking in the early years.  I don't know exactly why she is on the med other than back pain.  She pulled something in her back, unable to move or bend.  Hubby is extremly worried and since he only has phone conversations he can only take her word.  She's been a hypocondriac most her life, she's the woman that you call and tell her you have the flu and she has pnumonia, with this info hubby's worried if she "needs" this med.  He is watching me go through the oxy he11 and I'll be honest his mom isn't strong enough to go through it.  I can't imagine what morphine wd would be like.  
Don't know about Oxy, but I do know about morphine extended release (ER) and instant release (IR). It was great fun, but I had to be careful to not increase my doses too quickly or I got sick.

I started with 30 mg pills (IR or ER didn't matter to me) about 2 or 3x/day, eventually working up to 3 to 5 100 mg ER pills/day.

I only took morphine for about 6 months, and I quit c/t 2 weeks ago - the 1st week was absolute he11. I only missed 2 days of work though, so it could've been worse. I'm not sure, but I think oral administration of 100 mg morphine is less potent than 100 mg of other opiates (such as Oxy).
I know it's time released morphine.  Hubby really thought she was on oxy and see the he!! I am in, he really wanted to help keep family educated on the addiction and need to increase the dosage. This oxy sh!t feels like it is eating my brain, the anger, the moods, the nastiness of it all.  He!! that is when I was on the med full force, getting off is just as bad only now I see light at the end of the tunnel.  I am worried about her.  So you think time released morphine may be less potent than time released oxy?  I should ask my Dr, but I don't see him for another week.
Found these quotes at opioids.com - looks like they have about the same potency. I hope this helps:

"Oxycodone (14-hydroxy-7,8-dihydrocodeinone) is a strong opioid agonist that is available alone or in combination with mild analgesics. It is suitable for oral administration due to high bioavailability (60%), and may also be given intramuscularly, intravenously, subcutaneously, and rectally; it is not recommended for spinal administration. In analgesic potency, oxycodone is comparable to morphine. With the exception of hallucinations, which may occur more rarely after oxycodone than after morphine, the side effects of these drugs are closely related. The abuse potential of oxycodone is equivalent to that of morphine. The usual indications for oxycodone are severe acute postoperative or posttraumatic pain and cancer pain. When oxycodone is administered, the same precautions should be taken as with morphine or other agonist opioids."

"Oxycodone is an effective opioid analgesic for cancer pain. In the United States, it is available exclusively as an oral formulation, predominantly in fixed dose combination with acetaminophen or aspirin. The latter limits its use in cancer pain due to the potential toxicity of the nonopioid component. Oxycodone is now available as a single agent, controlled release formulation. The following case report of an opioid tolerant cancer patient taking repeated high doses of oral oxycodone supports the use of a 1:1 milligram conversion ratio for oral morphine and oral oxycodone. This patient's clinical course indicates that oral oxycodone can be used safely and to good effect at high dose, that the milligram relative potency ratio for oral oxycodone to parenteral morphine during repeated dosing is 3:1, and suggests that availability of multiple formulations of oxycodone may benefit cancer patients."
whats up I was prescribed both when I hurt my back. The first one Skelaton is a fairly new drug and is only available in brand name that is why it is so expensive and some insurance companies don't cover it.
The time release Morphine is very strong, if your not used to narcotics it will make you ill.

The doctor can replace both very easily and meds that are covered under insurance.

Grace tell her to call the doctor to change the scripts.
I hurt my back and legs in a wreck over two years ago.  They first had me on morphine and it did not affect me like the Oxy does.  I actually think the Oxy is more addictive than the morphine.  I'm day 11 cold turkey from 480 mgs of Oxy a day and it has been hell.  And I still have to figure out what to do about my pain but I don't think I'll take Oxy again.
My dad was on morphine before he died and he did quite well.
Good luck to you,
Yoda99
HELLO EVERYONE -
I AM A RECENT VICTIM OF A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT (LOOKSEE AT MY PROFILE) AND THE DOC HAS ME ON 1 60MG MORPHINE LONG LASTING EVERY 12 HOURS AND I TAKE 6 30MG OXYCODONE WITHIN A 24 HOUR PERIOD AND UNFORTUNATLEY I HAVE GROWN ACCUSTOM TO TAKING MORE THAN I SHOULD TO GET RID OF THE PAIN AND THAT IS WHY I HAVE BEEN BUMPED UP SEVERAL TIMES AND NOW I AM ON THE 6 OXY'S PER DAY.  I THINK THEY ARE BOTH HIGHLY ADDICTIVE.  I KNOW I AM ADDICTED TO THEM BUT, AT THIS POINT NEED THEM FOR LOTS OF PAIN.  I HAVE RUN OUT 2-3 DAYS BEFORE MY SCRIPT WAS DUE AND HAVE SUFFERED HE11.  I DONT THINK I CAN STOP TAKING THEM WITHOUT A DOCS HELP.  BUT, THE OXY'S ARE THE ONES THAT CAUSE ME THE GREATEST WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) PROBS WHEN I RUN OUT, DONT GET ME WRONG THE MORPHINE IS JUST AS BAD, BUT THE OXY JUST HAS THAT EXTRA YUCKY KICK TO IT.  YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN.   THEY BOTH HELP THE PAIN REALLY GOOD, AS AS STATED ABOVE THEY ARE A BLAST TO TAKE, BUT NOW I AM ADDICTED, BUT NEED TO TAKE FOR THE PAIN.  ITS A CRAPPY WAY TO LIVE BUT, OH WELL TO EACH HIS OWN, IF I HADNT BEEN "ATTACKED" BY MY BIKE I PROBABLY WOULDNT NEED THEM:-)   GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!   ...........FREEZING IN MONTANA
Addicted to perc 30s only 1 a day but life ***** if I don't have that 1. Watch what you take. Is morphine similar?