Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
DLPA supplement for boosting endorphins?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I am currently detoxing and I am having horrible migraines. I know that exercise helps with detoxing and boosts endorphines, but as I was looking for a home remedy for migraines today, I came across the supplement DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine) an amino acid. Everything I read says that it helps manufacture endorphins. WOAH. I mean, for the past 8 years I have been addicted to opiates and I think we all know from research, after abusing for so long, our brains get used to our receptors being flooded with feel-good chemicals like endorphins.

Has anyone actually taken this supplement and noticed a difference? I have chronic pain and the research I did says it helps with chronic pain by boosting the amount of endorphins you make. It says, "is used for elevating mood, eases pain, aid in memory and learning, arthritis, menstrual cramps, migraines, depression and schizophrenia."

I also read (and am told by the pharmacist) that Thorne brand Solgar DLPA is a prescription-grade supplement. (DL-Phenylalanine) DLPA is a mixture of the natural form of phenylalanine (the L form) and its mirror image (the D form). DLPA may have the unique ability to block the enzyme (enkephalinase) in the central nervous system that is responsible for breaking down natural, morphine-like hormones called endorphins and enkephalins. So it the endorphins last longer and this stuff supposedly helps produce more neurotransmitters (endorphins).
i have no idea,but wanted to get this up there in case somebody can help you...
I take it daily..it works hand in hand with tyrosine but is more specific for pain...and endorphins as well..tyrosine is mostly for endorphins..nrg...i take the powdered for of each from Bulk Nutrition..1/4 t with my Emergenc each day..also take glutamine, calcium, magnesium and piracetim in the powdered forms....5htp at night in a capsule form..i feel better/pain and nrg when doing my regime faithfully...i say there is truth behind it...just so many pills to get the recommended doses as they come in 500 mg pills and u need 2000-3000 mgs each day..the powdered form worked out better for me
I take the d isomer on its own as tyrosine gives me the jitters.  Approx one third of the d form converts back to the l form in your body so keep that in mind if u are also taking tyrosine, u may want to adjust the dose.

For me the effects of DPA are subtle, the pain is there but less acute.  I hope it helps you.
Thank you for your responses. Please keep them coming. I will order the DLPA and L-tyrosine today. I'll start with those. Thanks so much!
I am currently taking L tyrosine same as worried878. I have adhd and take it for focus since due to some idiosynchracy that I have I am not able to take regular medications. It seems to help but is not for everyone: people with overfocus problems can become worse with it. L-tyrosine is the building block of dopamine. I am planning to start taking DPLA as well for energy and mood. DPLA is the precursor for norepinephirne as well as helps with endorphins. A doctor recommended both of these in light of my situation. I can not yet tell you how DPLA works for me because I've not yet started, but from what I've studied amino acids are a very safe way of treatment for problems that result from their lack. I've also heard of tyrosine being effective in assisting with meth withdrawals. I hope it has worked for you.
I've used DLPA with no noticeable pain relief. It may be noteworthy that chronic opiate use down regulates receptors so an increase in endorphins may not help until nature takes it's course and new receptors grow. Good basic nutrition is needed for this to happen. The amino acid protocol helps with this too.

In some cases of depression and in fibromyalgia there appears to be resistance to endorphins at receptors, not a deficiency in endorphins. I suspect it's the same with damage from chronic opiate use. I've done quite a bit of research on this subject after learning about Low Dose Naltrexone therapy. LDN causes an increase in endorphin production of at least threefold, but that didn't help with pain for me either.

If DLPA doesn't work right away, maybe it will after some time off the opiates. I hope it works for you. Everyone is different.