Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Darvocet

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Darvocet

I have been taking Darvocet N-100 for several years now.  I take it most everyday 4 or 5 pills to treat headaches and joint pain.  My doctor now wants to swtich me to something else which is fine but I am worried about withdrawal.  I have never taken more than what was prescribed but it has been at least 2 years that I have been taking it. Will I have wihtdrawal and should I be worried tha I am addicted to it?
There has been times when I have not taken it for a few days in a row and not noticed much but is that to short a time?
Thank you.
At four or five a day I wouldn't expect much in the way of withdrawal. If anything, you might experience some body aches which warm baths or jacuzis will take care of. I've withdrawn cold turkey from a 40 Darvon a day habit in a jail cell and muscle aches in the arms and legs, especially the thighs, were the worst symptom. If your doctor is replacing the Darvocet with another narcotic, like Vicodin, Tylenol #3 (codeine), or Ultram, than you probably won't experence any withdrawal symptoms at all.

Just remember the hot baths or even just a heating pad for the thighs if you get muscle aches. That really helps. Even a couple enteric asprin at bedtime will help for the first few nights. Just make sure you use enteric asprin to protect your stomach.

Take care.
I agree with Patrick but I think you should ask your Doctor why She/He wants to do this.
I am having serious problems with mouth pain (root canals and crowns) and parts of my mouth still hurting that had no work done on it except a deep cleaning!  

The pain simply won't go away.  The doctor has finally prescribed Darvocet for me after Vicodin and Ibprofen and various other drugs did no good.  They either made me sick or had no effect at all on the pain.  I am seeing an endodontist soon because my dentist has given up finding out why I continue to be in such pain.  And I am facing even more root canals and crowns on the right side of my mouth.

ANYWAY, I wanted to know, is darvocet good for mouth pain?  I mean, NOTHING I tried so far (prescription or over the counter) has worked so far and darvocet is my last hope.  I have lost too much weight and am tired all the time.  

Just wanted to know if darvocet would do the trick.  I can't sleep or hardly eat because of the pain.  Please answer asap.  Thanks!
I myself have taken D N-100 in the past for back problems. They are indeed weak but, I gave up on Hydrocodone months ago because I think that I was having anxiety when I was running out before my next refills. If you have never had an addiction problems, Darvocet should be okay for you. However, be aware that there are always possibilities for addiction whether it is pain killer, benadryl or other of the kind.  I knew that once I did no longer wanted my darvocet, I could of sold them to 20 different peoples who Loved them??? becareful and just don't extend to more than your should or longer period.
good luck! I don't know of any endodontist who ever prescribed Darvocet, usually, it is either Tylenol 3 or vicodin 5/500 / lortab