Here goes my issue: Started dating a man 2 yrs ago, he moved in with me 2mths into the relationship then he disappeared for 2 days soon after. When I spoke to his mom, she said he dropped his things off there and left to binge, saying that I was nagging him too much. I finally tracked him down at a drug infested hotel where his brother sells crack ( i later found out his brother supported my boyfriends crack habit for over 13yrs). He came back home with me that night, never explaining why he left. He found a stable job after this happened but became frustrated at the hard work and quit. Basically this has been the pattern ELEVEN TIMES since 2010: Negative moods, work a little, quit, negative moods again, threaten to move with his mother, disappear for days on crack, destroy my character to his family, beg to come back home and tell me i'm a good woman. Then I spend time consoling him and getting his weight back up. He quit his 5th job and left yesterday on another binge, took every thing in a cab to his mom's once again. I see his potential but is this a lost cause? Should I tell him to stay gone this time? What if he can change?
Hi truth! Yes, he can change, but he has to want to change more than anything else! It certainly doesn't sound like he wants to at this point! I'm so very sorry that you are going through this! You say you have been through this 11 times since 2010! YIKES! The question is not can he change, but do you really want to live your life like this anymore? Only you can decide that! It sounds like you have been supportive and put up with a lot! I would not have the strength or want to continue! You need a life too! Anyway, I wish you'd all the best! Good luck!!
you didn't cause it, you can't control it and you can't cure it.
i suggest that your best and only chance of saving this relationship rests in you paying attention to how his addiction affects you, and restoring yourself to mental, emotional and spiritual health. check out al-anon. i know many people who say it literally saved their lives.
as to your boyfriend, the odds are that he will not make it. nothing against him, it's just statistics . . . something less than 20% of bona fide crack heads ever make it into sustained recovery. the other 80%+ follow addiction to the only other ends . . . jails, institutions and death.
i'm a recovering crack addict myself and i know how very close i came to not making it out of that black hole. it's really tough to escape from the pull of crack -- it's just a different animal. it takes a lot of work to make it into sustained recovery and then steady attention to recovery to stay there.
take care of yourself. it's the best and only way to help him.
Oh sweety, you need to change the locks and move on with your life. Crack is a very serious addiction and it makes people do things they would never dream of doing. I feel so badly for you and yes the truth does hurt.
I agree with u pat, change those locks, not only is he ******* up his brain, he's ****** up your with mental abuse, making u feel bad and depicting u as a bad a bad person to his fam. Let it go babe, let it. I have crack heads in my fam...and from my experiences they always go back ...ALWAYS......JS. Hope things get better for u honey :-D
It would be bad enough if drug addiction only hurt the addict...but most of the time it hurts the ones who love the addict just as much, if not more, because they need to go watch the insanity sober. I know how hard it is to let go of someone who is an addict, but there really is nothing you can do to help him....besides letting him go. You deserve so much more then that.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.