Day 11: thoughts on...
Marijuana. At first, I was scared to go through another opiate detox 11 days ago. I tried to find some Valium, even went to my dr. and told him I was detoxing but he wouldn't write  me a script for a benzo or ambien. So I decided to kick anything unnatural and just use a little marijuana to ease the discomfort of withdrawl. I guess my question is, what are your thoughts on moderate marijuana use, both short term, while detoxing, and long term. It's benefitted me by easing the symptoms of w/d, and helped so much with rls and sleeplessness. I'm not in anyway glorifying or promoting the use of marijuana, just giving my opinion based on my own experience.
I don't know about marijuana, but I was using alcohol to help deal with the w/d. But I don't want change one doc to another, plus I feel it numbs my real feelings in which that's the reason I'm here, so good luck with whatever you decide, but for me I need to be clean and sober to fight this demon
I'm with Lost&New...I found myself using alcohol and then guess what?  Cross-addicted to alcohol  which I had drank socially for 25 years.  I'm all about learning how to face life, the wd's and all without substituting. To be fair I will say I take AD's.  I know many who smoke (and now, vapor) weed, but it has never been my thing. Another issue for me is that it is illegal where I live. No judgment here at all, but just remember that getting sober is about learning to manage the addict brain and the urge to numb. Best of luck to you!
Hey there-
The first time I detoxed off opiates 6 years ago I used marijuana- it did help with nausea but it made me feel loopy (but hey I don't like pot and never have) I much preferred my second detox in which I used nothing but clonidine ( a blood pressure med commonly used in opiate detox)  I did however continue to take the sleep meds and benzos I had been on for many years.  I would have stopped these too because I so badly wanted to be clean- but they are not meds you c/t from.
In my opinion- it is better to come off of a drug using as little drugs as possible.  Marijuana alters you.  One of the best parts of coming off opiates is the return of your clear thinking.  Pot definitely clouds this.  Also, even though marijuana has a low abuse rate cross addiction or transferring addiction is highly likely.  I urge you as the above posters have to get as clean and sober as you can.  It is really the only way to battle with the demon that is addiction.  Whatever you decide, we are here to support.
Lu