Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Day 15 Percocet/Vicodin Withdrawal Anxiety

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Please any positive advice would be appreciated, I was on Norco to Percocet for 5 months before shoulder surgery, I am one month post op and quick cold turkey 15 days ago. I was hit by a car many years ago and had to have reconstruction. The pain was horrible and I was taking 12 to 15 10 325 a day.  The First week was Awful, sick diareaha, sweats, no sleep , panic attacks. The second week the flu symptoms have subsided but I still have anxiety, and restlessness...my doctor is on board and prescribed me Clondine which I didn't take and Clonopin, which I don't want to take. I never want to take any medicine again. However the past 2 days I have had waves of depression. I am working out like crazy and I still have this anxious feeling. Can somebody please tell me what day they felt better. I am tempted to go on antidepressants at this point as I am afraid if this continues I will loose my job by continually taking leave.  Thank You for your help, this is the hardest thing that I have ever done.
Just wanted to lend some support.  I know from the others that it can take the brain a while to reset after all that opiate use.  I've heard 30 days is usually the average.  Maybe an AD wouldn't hurt, I'd give it shot.  I'm on Prozac, can't say it does all that much.  It's awesome you are exercising so much, that is great for you.
Gretta96, Thank You for your answer, I just want this to stop... I am thinking that if this goes another week I am going to go on antidepressants. I cant lose my job and I get anxiety just thinking about going back to work, my restlessness is almost always present as well:(
Hi! You should look into PAWS. A lot of people suffer from this. It can cause some serious depression. The brain is healing itself and that takes time. When we are on opiates for long stretches of time, our brains stop producing the 'feel good' chemicals. Exercise, music, and anything that makes you laugh can help to jump start the production of these chemicals. There are also foods that can help produce dopamine. There is a link at the bottom of the page for a list of foods. Sex is another activity that helps us make dopamine and endorphins. Just know that this is a very normal occurrence. You are not alone.
I am 5 hours away from day 17 and I am starting to feel A LOT better...I know I can do this. The anxiety is very low and I am having my best day yet. I did wake up achy, but I will take achy and pain over anxiety any day. I am hopeful that this will be completely resolved in the next 2 to 3 days. This was so Brutual!!!! Thank You for your support
Day 17 10 hours from day 18 and I am continuing to feel A Lot better...Yeah I Got This. Anyone who is going through this it does get better, I thought it would never end but I am sooooo much better than I was when it started and soooo much better than just 48 hours ago. I am hoping by 20 days this will All be gone. Good Luck You Can Do This!!!!!
Great job Hlpplse!   Congrats on day 17!
Keep up the great work and keep posting.  Be patient with yourself if some issue continue after 20 days.  Sleep might be tough for 30 or more days so make sure to keep exercising and taking care of your mind and body with good stuff!

H.F.
I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better.  Sometimes anxiety comes and goes, but it does get better as you yourself have experienced.  We are all here for you and congrats on your clean time! :)
i am on day 17 still not feeling all that good but starting to   i am so glad you are feeling so much better. i t gives me hope that tomm i can sleep.that tomm maybe i will be hungary.i wish the best for you keep on getting better.
Butch798 You will start feeling better soon... Each day gets better. I started going into the sauna for 20 minutes a day after working out and drinking a lot of fluids and I really think that helped. I also started taking Vitamin C it attaches to toxins and eliminates them when you urinate. I am sleeping about 4 hours up about 20 minutes then another 3 to 4 which isn't perfect but Soooooo much better than no sleep. My heart rate has gone way down and I get little waves of RLS but I know they will pass. Everyday I wake up hopeful that today is the day for resolve. We have come Soooo far. Please let me know how you are doing.  How long were you taking them and # a day. My time was about 6 months. You CAN do this:)))
10 hours from day 19:))))
2years oxyi for back pain tomm is day 18.the sleep is the worst problem  as i hated the pills all along no cravings just need sleep.maybe tonite
About 5 Hours from Day 20 and have been having quite a bit a restlessness anxiety in my chest. I had to wake up early for work and fly across country. I was worried about the airplane ride but made it through OK. All you who have gone through this is it normal at this stage??? I had a really great day yesterday and evening...I am Praying that by the 23 to 30 day mark this all resolves.  I really need some encouragement. I hate the restlessness and would rather be sick, which I woke up feeling sick to my stomach as well.
Day 20 Alot better than 19 6 hours from 3 weeks!!! I hope everyday gets a lot better from here:)
Mid day 21 and I FEEL AWESOME!!!!! Everything is so much better...I know I will never have a Panic attack again and the little flare ups of heart rate are few and far between. I am sleeping so much better as well. I still have some sneezing and congestion but I Can Live with that forever:)))). This has been one of the hardest things I have ever done, and I am so glad I am soooo close to being completely done!!!! Anyone who is **** this I know it seems like it will never end and gets so bad that you just want to give in and take another to get the w/d symptoms to stop, But Don't,It will end and Does get better. I did A Tone of Praying and am SOOOOO Thankful for Gods Help!!!
Just started day 25 shaky and anxious I had leg pain yesterday and was sick to my tummy. I have to say I am reaching my breaking point. The waves of depression are horrible. When will this end??? Sneezing and runny eyes. So I  am still in active wothdrawl   I am working, working out and doing everything right. Please tell me this will end
yes it will end!!  just hang in there....i had anxiety at about 23-24 days clean....just push thru it...sounds like you are doing all the right things...it takes awhile for our brain and bodies to heal from the abuse....it does get better!  stay strong and know there is a light at the end of the tunnel!  you are doing great....you will have ups and downs for a bit...just know it's temporary!!
Thank You for your support I pushed through day 25 and am starting day 26. My symptoms seem to have let up some and I am hoping I am on the final countdown to feeling a lot better. I really appreciate your support. 4 days away from 30....It really helps to know this is temporary
i take trazadone for sleep its non narcotic...this is my 19th day and ive slept every night no problem...most drs will write a script for that..hope i helped
Butch798 how are you doing??? I am 6 hours away from day 27 and starting to feel better, I think I am on the downhill slide. I definitely just take one day at a time and don't try to get to far ahead of myself, even though when symptoms flare up it is hard to know it will pass....but it always does.  I continue to workout and hit the Sauna to sweat this stuff out.  Best Wishes  
good job, your story is encouraging, im onky on day 4 and the anxiety attacks are killing me, starting a support group tomoww.  congratulations on all your hard work
Nice to hear about your success!! I am on day 11 and have a ways to go. Kept busy today by steam cleaning carpet at home. Got one room done, woohoo. Then went to the gym for the jacuzzi. Been using amino acids to help, not sure if they do, but I suffer from anxiety too, and they seem to be helping.
Keep up the good work and stay strong.
5 hours away from day 28 and the anxiety is almost completely gone. But I am irratable and my poor husband has been taking most of it. He knows that I'm still healing and is trying to be patient. Anyone who is going through this I used to try to psyche myself out of the anxiety by telling myself that it will end, it is my body recalibrating and that nobody can tell I'm anxious but me.  I am hoping to be feeling a lot better soon. I am just tired.

You all can do this it does get better.  
8 Hours from day 29 and I'm continuing to feel better and am even out of my bad mood:) I am so excited that this is almost over. This was and is such a roller coaster but well worth it. I am starting to enjoy everyday life again and am not in the fog of the medicine. My shoulder continues to hurt after surgery but I would take pain any day over the anxiety and insomnia of the initial withdrawal.  Keep going and stay busy for those of you who are going through this. :)))
Day 30!!! I never thought I would make it.... I am markedly better than a week ago. I am still not sleeping through the night, I average about 5 hours at a time and then go back to sleep for another 2 to 3. I still have very minimal anxiety that comes and goes, very low and only get those adrenal surges were my heart races very rarely. I know that this will be gone soon, and I am so Thankful for everyone's support, My anxiety back on day 15 about having to quit my job was wrong totally wrong...it is crazy how your mind plays tricks on you. The depression waves are gone and I enjoy life more and more every day. Thank You Everyone I will keep you updated
Congrats! you are doing GREAT!
Be prepared, that anxiety comes around in spurts, stays a couple of days, and then leaves for while. Just push though the bad days knowing the good ones are near.
It does take a full year or more for your brain to acclimate. Keep up the good work!
hugs,
Lily
i am so glad for you.get better every day.you helped me so much when you were starting to feel better and i wasnt i looked at your post and said maybe tomm for me and it did come.slept 10 hours last nite and the day before i pigged out at a pig roast.i mean 4 sandwiches.day 30 for me tommorrow
I am so glad to hear you are so much better. Today is day 31 and this is my best day yet.  I woke up and the anxiety is almost 100 percent gone.  I am confident that it will be gone this week:). Butch I'm giving you a Huge Hug we got through the worst!!!!! Keep going and posting.
i went to southside johnny in asberry park the music was great the beach was great went to manhatten after to see freedom tower and then chinese food at 2.home at 4.free free i am free at last.thanks for you help.emotions still up and down but it takes time to heal.have a happy 4th.
Thanks Butch I am having a bad anxiety day today...or rather my heart seems to be racing quit a lot. I read that in late stage opiate withdrawal your body clears nuerotransmitters and this is what produces the adrenaline surges (racing heartbeat). I hope tomorrow is better I am almost to day 34. I really hope this is all gone soon. The anxiety flare ups and surges are getting to me. Even though I have good periods in between, this is such a long process.

If anyone has had the same thing was it gone by 60 days??? If not please don't tell me I don't think I can deal with it past that
i had a panic attach today first one in years.i wrote a post and it didnt send it was gone so what but to rewrite was impossible.i had panic i laughed at my self .but i felt it wasnt real but it felt like someone died.its chemical imbalance  but i made it go away just got to laugh at the body mind mistakes we make.i rewrote the post i cryed and now i am going to make some 4 th of july lobsters.lets try to be happy that we got this far and the future will certainly be better.one day at a time one hour at a time one minute at a time
I agree I need to stop getting so far ahead of myself and take one day at a time...I hope tomorrow will be better. Thanks Butch have a Happy 4th also:)
The anxiety is the worst part in my opinion. I am always on here yelling about that it will end, because it does. I was scared that it wouldn't, but it did.
It leaves gradually. It has two sides. It has a constant side that is always nagging at you, well, that goes away gradually, and each couple of weeks that pass you will be so happy that you are getting rid of it, then it has a side that pops up for a coupel to a few days every now and then, even when you are feeling good, so be prepared for it. it goes away. havea  aplan on how to deal with it when it comes. It goes away and it feels great when you notice, "Hey, I haven't felt anxiety in a while!!"
You are doing great, keep up the good work!
hugs,
Lily
Thank You for your post it really helps a lot to know that it will end. Today was not as bad as yesterday and I hope tomorrow is better. This morning when I was driving was the first time during this process that I got a burst of really positive feeling for about 1 hour.  
I notice that I wake up lately at night with my heart racing and that I am shaky in the morning? Has anyone else ever had this?
I average about 4 to five hours wake up then go beck to sleep in about 20 minutes for another 3 to 4 hours if Im lucky.  .  

I am about 1 hour away from the start of day 35.... Thanks again for your positive encouragement it really helps:)
Day 35 - fantastic!  And that's exactly how recovery works.  Those initial positive feelings are subtle, and they seem to go as quickly as they came.  But then another one comes along, and you start to think "hey, maybe I really can do this" - and well, that feeling of relief is beyond words.  I'm happy for you!  :)
Hey Sweetie, I forgot about driving! yes! I coul dbe in terrible anxiety from WD, and to get e out of the house was a miracle, but once I was in the car and driving it really helped, it was like the anxiety would fade.

You are doing great. Your sleep sounds normal, and the morning stuff is normal, all normal. Hang in and keep doing what you are doing, You will feel better and better as time goes on.

hugs,
Lily
Thank You both for your support, I hope these hard days pass I am feeling like I cant take this level for another 8 weeks, I just went to work out and was crying while I was doing the stairmaster and then hit the sauna for 20 minutes.
I hope these hard days pass soon...I haven't been taking anything for sleep or anxiety and I don't want to have to start. I don't think I need an antidepressant I don't feel depressed just up and down emotions. I ve never had anxiety before so it is just really hard, it really makes me feel sorry for people who have this condition day after day for life.

Your messages really help me, lets hope tomorrow is better. Have a Good Night
i saw a post on here, sai d passion flower extract @ natural food store works good. tried it, 2 pills as needed.really took the edge off and gave about 3 hrs sleep. wife was on pins and needles because of my self induced pancratitis and resulted in a 10 day hospital stay including rough detox.she tried them w/ same result. 60-100mg loritab w/20 beers a day 12 days off beer only only10 mg opiat today. now i am out not going to but any more .i am going to get a shot @ day 30. it is an opiod blocker incase one falls into my stomach nothing will happen and i hear it reduces beer cravings.       try passion flower extract. caution the liquid is diluted w / organic MOONSHINE
Thank You for your post, I hope your wife and you are better soon. I am afraid to ever take any medicine prescribed or natural at this point but I really appreciate the suggestion. I am hoping today I will be over the hump of the rough days, so far this AM no morning shakes just feel sick to my tummy. Good Luck on your journey, you can make it:)