Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Day 2 of codeine withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Day 2 of codeine withdrawal

Hi There,

I've been on Nurofen Plus for too long - at the worst point I was taking 6 tablets at a time, and taking about 36 tablets each day.  Thankfully I got that down to taking 3 at a time, and the most I took in one day was 24 (and that was on a bad day), but I tried to not take more than 12.

Nearly a year ago my partner and I decided that we want to have a baby, so I had to get my act together, and that is when I started reducing the number of pills I was taking.  I got it down as far as i thought I could while still functioning relatively normally (or at least what had become normal to me), and I confided in my older sister about what was going on.  She's a nurse, and suggested that maybe I should go CT if I thought I couldn't go any lower while still taking it...

I made the plan prior to Xmas that I would go CT over my Xmas holidays, since I have 4 weeks off.  I had planned to get through the family xmas first, and then go off the pills.  Sadly I still had some in the house, so that didn't exactly happen - although I did manage to increase the length of time between doses to 6 hours before my brain told me I needed it again.

I purposefully didn't buy any more, and 2 days ago I ran out, and the healing process began.

That first night was ok, since I took the last pills at about 4.30pm - but yesterday during the day wasn't very good - I spend most of my time in the bathroom.  I read that one of the withdrawal symptoms can be constipation - and I wish I had that right now - I have the complete opposite.  My stomach hurts so much, and is cramping.  With the combination of these two things there is no way I can sleep - and last night managed about 3 hours only, although got an hour or so during the day.

My partner has been incredibly supportive, but obviously he needs sleep too - so he went to bed just after midnight last night (New Years).  I've confided in 2 of my friends - one of whom I work with - about what is going on, although with one not the extent of my addiction.

It has taken a lot for me to even admit that I have an addiction, let alone to get the willpower to try and get off the pills.  I'm extremely determined not to go back, and just wanted to connect with some people who have gone through the same thing.  As wonderful as my partner is about all this, he isn't going through it and hasn't gone through it.
congrats on your decision to quit.  you know ammodium will really help with the bathroom issue. unfortunately these drugs really mess up our digestive. when i quit i got some really good probiotics. it is the good bacteria we are suppose to have in our system. perscripts and toxins pretty much kill off most. especially antibiotics. so if we can get the level up to normal you will be feeling much better.
shop carefully, they are suppose to be alive and therefore should be refrigerated when you purchase them. whole foods or a good health store should carry them.
happy new year to you and your other half!!
Thanks for that advice broknbck.  Hopefully my partner will be back soon, and if the 'bathroom issue' continues I think I'll have to ask him to go and get some Imodium (immodium) like you suggested.  I looked it up and it sounds like it would definitely do the trick.  As for probiotics, I've only really seen yoghurts/milks with these kinds of things in them, so not sure what I'd be able to take.  I'm vegan, so don't have any dairy...  I don't really know much about the whole probiotics thing, so I could be way off track, so would appreciate some pointing in the right direction if possible :).

Well - I managed to get back to sleep about 7.30am this morning (after posting on here), and slept for a least 2 hours, which made me feel a little better.  I had a shower earlier, and felt a lot better after that - but the symptoms are returning just now, so not feeling so crash hot all of a sudden.
for the probiotics. do you have a "whole foods" store in the neighborhood. they would help you to pick out the right ones to take too. or some kind of health store. "sprouts" is another chain store that carry them. google your neighborhood.
another thing i just recently started taking and is very easy to obtain is liquid chlorophyll. you can order it on line. it is the equivalent of concentrated vegtable juicing. it is the meat and potatoes of vegs. it comes with a pleasant minty taste added to it. put 1 or 2 teaspoons in a large glass of water or jug and drink it all day. it is an instant energy booster too. it will keep your system working properly but does not have any probiotics. in fact you will need to introduce it slowly at first. the energy and just well feeling from it will be a plus if nothing else. $23 a bottle.
I have been taking 30/500mg codein tablet name solpadole I took 125 a week. I have decided to stop. Iam on day 2 now. I have sweating, tiolet, coughing, sneezing, sore head and bad cramps. I refuse to take anything to easy the pain of my withdrawel. Every cuboard I go into I find packs and packs of solpadole. I was on a reduce plan but I never reduced. I was gettinng prescriptions in other peoples names. I woke up at 6.oo am every morning and copped three. I knew all tricks of the trade and as well as getting 500 solpadoles a month I was buying all the over counter stuff. I bin the solpadole as I find them. I play on the fact that now a days people are just numbers, thats how I got away with prescription fraud.Im not proud of myself. My bodys sore but I refuse to listen to the voice just have three or go to the chemist. Im hurting but I am glad I am hurting. Cos I am still alive. And with each withdrawel and each drop of sweat falls down my back I am reminded of this. I have never had a straight day since the birth of my son who is two now. Im doing it for him. Solpadol made me constipated well I aint now. I wish you all the best. I really do and I am glad theres other people out there. Painkiller abuse is every were and I am annoyed me doctor gave me this as well as all the other crap hes tried to palm me off with. I was reading a post a fifteen year old girl addicted to.Sorry bout spelling but I cant work out my bum fae ma elbow at moment. God bless
Thanks fuzzypeach27 :).

I'm on day 6 now :) and feeling a lot better :).  My partner and I are going to go out for a walk a bit later on - so that will be good hopefully :).  I haven't really been out of the house (except to call the cat) in nearly a week, so I'm a bit nervous about going out - especially as I want to go to the supermarket, and all I've heard on here about anxiety - I'm not sure I really want to go there, but need some food :).

Will see how it goes.  I'll walk to the supermarket, and if I can't face walking home again I'll take a taxi (especially since I'll have shopping to carry), but will see how I go.

Thanks to everyone so far for their support :)
On day three now, last night was a nightmare, but i got there. Today is day four and I know it want be long till its over. I went to the chemist and the lady had no idea about codein abuse. She said withdraw would be two weeks. And to try the internet. Well i feel better than i did yesterday. I also cancelled my prescription and she just laughed which made me more determined than ever. I have  a calender and I cross of each day when it passes. My water bottle is my best friend. I go out every day to the shops a least. Or late at night. I managed half slice of bread today and have drank1.5lts water what I am confused about many say that withdraw peaks between 72-92 hours and the first four days are the hardest. I suppose its just depends on the person. And I also heard that codein per day halfs when you withdraw. I dont have anxiety. I just about seeing the world clear now, and brighter. Not in the bubble of the codein monster. I have suffered from panick attacks for years, i take citropram. Also check out codeinfreeme.com really good.
Keep up the good work , thats really good , iam just going through the aches shakes and breaks and i was taking approx 100 every 10 days , unbelievable how it takes over and blindsides you into this addiction .

FREEDOM IS NEAR , WHOOP WHOOP !!!
THANKS BABE FOR THE POST. IM ON DAY 6 NOW. WITHDRAWS GONE. CRAVING AND SWEATING BUT IT AINT BAD. IM GETTING ABOUT 6 HOURS SLEEP A NIGHT AND SMOKING PLENTY CIGGIES. APPETITE BETTER, ILL NO FADE AWAY. AND YOU KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK TOO. I THINK ITS ALL ABOUT ATTITUDE AND CAN I ASK DID ANY ONE HAVE REALLY MINGGING  BURPS. ON DAY 2 A TELL YOU I HAD A CAN OF GLAD AIR FRESHENER  STUCK  TO MY CHECK EVERY TIME I BURPED. IT WAS MINGING.

X X X X X X YOU CAN DO IT XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I FEEL GREAT
I want to give you all a laugh day three I had a hot water bottle tied to my back, a wet tea towel stuck to my head with a bit of rope a vest top on covered in talc and Vaseline round ma how would you say I'm from Scotland and we call it a ring. I went through six bog rolls that day. It was some site a tell you, my son must have noticed, then later on he did his first poo in the toilet.

I went to the chemist day four and cancelled my prescription she laughed in ma face and said yeah right, well I was due to pick up today, guess who's laughing now?  On day 5 I went in to buy immodium she said do you want you prescription?I said no of course. Day 5 again went out to visit ma family and right on the coffee table a big pack of solpadol well it didn't bother me  
well i feel i need codeine right now took one last night at 9 pm hardly slept this drug is worse than valium i never craved extra valium took a lot to get down to 2 mgs but i did it and even when anxious didnt take anymore maybe because i finally started sleeping ok i believe  am super sensitive to medications some people are if i coulld take one right now i would should have stuck to phenergan not so hard to come off but it didnt help me sleep at all codeine gave me some sleep tho very restlless  i am still very lethargic from last nights codeine yet only 10 mg has anyone else become addicted so quick i think my main addiction is because i cant sleep and so try to find something to help i was sleepin fine on 2 mg valium after the side effects subsided from taking 5 mg and going dpown went thru hell and swore never to touch another prescription drug but when you cant sleep night after night that goes by the wayside help any ideas i now feel severly depressed and cant leave the house as i was like this before on avanza and these drugs are supposed to help like hell they do good therapy is what helps for people before this **** given out