Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Day 5!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Day 5!

Felt the need to share hoping it will help someone. Don't need to go into the "hows" of becoming addicted. We all wind up in the same place. I was/am a general opiate addict. But most recently oxy. Tapered down to 60mgs a day. Thats all i could get down to without abusing. You have to have iron will to taper off. Well i ran out last thursday and just decided enough is enough. Tried to take a nap on evening of day one. Woke up in Tachycardia. Ambulance ride to the hospital. Terrifying! Thought i was dying. Had a great ER doc who assured me i wasn't going to die. Just felt like it. Came home layed on the couch for 2 days. The malaise, anxiety, and insomnia are the worst parts. My brother gave me a tiny bit of medical cannibis that has helped the symptoms tremendously. It helps lower my bp thus helping the anxiety and i'm getting about 7 hrs of sleep. Which is GREAT! When i tried to detox once before the insomnia and anxiety were the cause of relapse. I don't care for cannibis, never have so no cause for worry of trading one habit for another. This might not be the case with everyone though. Laying off stimulants and taking Imodium (immodium) is a must. EmergenC and multivitamins help too. I can't deny its Hell and i'm miserable but managing. All while being a stay at home mom of a 2 yr old. (My reason for quitting) I managed to even take him to the park on day 3 & 4. I didn't last long but getting out for a bit made me feel better.
The Lord saved me for a purpose 2 yrs ago. And i know He didn't save me just to become addicted to the meds that were treating me! I was made for more and this is day 5 of the rest of that new life.
I'll keep updating if anyone finds this useful :)
Well done for making this courageous decision for you and your little boy . It is the start of a new life for you both. I am on day 43 clean after 12 years of madness. Yes it was brutal and hard for the first weeks but I held on and each day gets a little better. I feel reborn and have started to laugh and love life again something I could never imagine just a few short weeks ago. So stay strong you will get lots of love and support from all in this community. Keep posting and know that EVERYONE here is rooting for you. Good luck and god bless you both,Tim
That's awesome inkgirl! You're so right God doesn't intend for anyone to be a slave to anything on this earth and we are made much stronger than we think until being strong is our only option. Day 32 here and day 44 for my boyfriend and everyday gets better for us and it will for you too. I'm very happy for you, you should be proud of yourself, keep it up and keep posting!
Hi Inkgirl! You have a great attitude and great reasons for quitting! Congrats on Day 5! You should start feeling relief from some of the symptoms soon! Keep as active as you can! Getting outside to the park is great and you will see that it helps alot! Definately keep posting your progress! You will find tons of encouragement and support here!

All the best, and I look forward to reading about your progress!
Thanks for all the kind words. It helps :) I woke up feeling a little better today. This is 7 days out from my last dose. I go to the Dr. today because in the ER i did have an abnormal ekg. I was airlifted and hospitalized 19 months ago when i died from bacterial pneumonia. They brought me back but i was on a vent, feeding tube for 2 weeks before i finally came around. The ER doc thought maybe that whole ordeal did some damage to my heart. (Its also where my addiction started, was on morphine and sent home on oxy a month later) But i'm hoping for a good report today :) Wish me luck!