Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Day 6 Norco

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Day 6 Norco

I have been looking over the forums for the past couple of weeks. I have been off Norcos for 6 days now i have been on and off them for the past three years because of 2 herniated disks. I one point i was taken 12 10mg's a day. For the past 2 months i made sure when i was at the doc i had him put me on 5 mg's so i could try to taper off of them. That didn't really help that much because i would just take up to 20 a day. I finally got it in my head to quit. I did taper down some what but not as much as i should have been. But i had made it to day 6 and the bulk of my WD's are gone i still had this feeling in my stomach like it's bloated or full of air and the feelings like i still want more. Them drugs are some pretty scary stuff it is amazing how many people take them for real problems then just can get hooked. Looking back it is really at least for me that the doctors never really warn you what could happen. I found the best way to stop thinking about the drugs is to just keep busy. Now i just need to quiet Smoking. Any one try to quit smoking after after getting done with coming off of norco's
Tags: Day 6
youve done so well to get to 6 days, i hope your stomache calms down soon, i suffer from irritable bowl syndrom (syndrome), brought on by the pills and stress, gives a horrid bloated feeling, i find peppermint tea helps, i also need to quit smoking, ive cut it down but havent managed to totally stop, so i hope you get some good advice on that, look after yourself, its early days for you being clean, perhaps the smoking will be easier to give up when your well over your withdrawals , god bless  sudie
Thanks, It has been hard to stop with the pills. It was nice to be able to come on this site and see what everyone was doing to make it though. i wanted to try to post during it but was in no way feeling up to typing. Ya i think i might wait on the smoking for about a month. i wonder what is worse getting off the pills or the smoking?
You are doing so well- Congrats for getting to day 6! In my opinion, I wouldn't try to do too much all at one time. The worst of the two evils are the pills- smoking is obviously bad and yes, you need to stop for your health, but I think right now your focus should be on planning your aftercare. Once you have great support system in place and have a little more sobriety under your belt, I think you'll be in a better place both physically and mentally to deal with the smoking- of course this is only my opinion- others may have a different point of you.

Wishing you all my best! Steph
Yea, I'm in the same boat. I was down to 5-7 smokes a day when I decided to stop taking my norcos. I needed the cigarettes to get me through. I'm still smoking 10-12 a day. It's better than 20. I'm just waiting til I feel close to 100% before I tackle that issue. The cigs will kill ya but they won't ruin your life quite as fast as the opiates will, IMO. Good luck..
@ranger11.. hey my friend. Im on the same pain train as you, I take 25 norco 10/325mg a day and smoke about 14 cigs. I am absolutely convinced that the cigarette kills our opiate high and that is why we take so much norco, when I tried quitting I noticed that taking 4 norco at once without smoking a cigarette would last a long time, as soon as I lit up it was all over and I looked for my next norco dose. I do recommend this if cold turkey cigarettes are not working.... get a pack of Camel Snus (it comes in a small tin can). Its is basically a cigarette wrapped in a pouch that you put underneath your upper lip. There is no spitting or anything like that, it was invented for people to basically "smoke" in doors or anywhere at anytime. After ten minutes it totally feels like you just smoked a cigarette and the urge is gone. If you can do atleast 3 days of this then you eliminate the pattern and habit of actually lighting up and smoking. You are still getting your nicotine fix but from this point on it is so much easier to quit cold turkey because you broke the social pattern of it. I hope this helps a little.. all the love and respect to you!! Good Luck.
Its funny you say that you needed to keep busy to quit the drugs and now you want to stop smoking.  In my situation I just started smoking (after 7 years without a cig)  just to keep me busy and keep my mind off the drugs through my detox.  Just the opposite...Some lab rat I am huh?  Seriously though, for whatever reason, smoking has never been a problem for me to stop so as soon as I'm done this thing the smokes are gone too.  I dont know how I do It, I just dont like the taste.  Anyway good luck and good job on your 6 days.  Stay strong and best wishes.

KJ  
Yep smoking is a hard one for me also i have quit 4 times in the last 20 years and i am so ready.
I started smoking when i started abusing percocet/norco.  I would smoke so much when i was high and loved every moment of it.  I would come down the ashtray full of cigs and feeling like i have a dirty little secret none of my friends smoke so when they would ask when am i going to quit I remember saying in my head "first i got to quit my drug habit" I hid it so well but was dying inside,  I am proud to say I am on day 4 and planned to quit smoking in a month...one habit at a time...good luck everyone! P.S. I shared with everyone my dirty secret two weeks before i stopped.  We need a support system! God Bless