Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Day 9 of detox!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Day 9 of detox!

I am on day 9 going into 10 days since I took my last oxy.  First off, I deal with chronic back pain.. That's no excuse to abuse these evil little pills though.  This detox isn't my first, gone thru more than I can remember.  This was the DETOX MOTHER F***er from HELL.  Never, ever, ever do I ever want to detox/ go through withdrawl (withdrawal) again. In my lifetime.  Even spent 4 days in the hospital.  When I got home on day 4 it was even harrier than the beginning and it just kept getting worse.  Any suggestions on how to quickly get my energy back 100% and what I can do to ensure this never happens again.  Alternatives to narcotic pain pills when it gets bad?
Hi Lahaina! Wow, I'm so sorry that you had such a difficult detox! I'm glad you have made it through OK! I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions on how to quickly get your energy back. It took quite a while before my energy level was back to normal. I would suggest that you take vitamins, like Super B complex. Make sure you are eating well and keeping your body nourished. If you don't feel like eating, drink a high protein drink like Boosts or Ensure. As far as alternatives to narcotic pain pills, I take a prescription Anti-inflammatory called Voltaren. It works pretty well for my chronic shoulder pain. Check with your doctor. Have you checked into any kind of aftercare such as therapy, counseling, or NA, AA meetings? This will help you in avoiding this whole process again!

Take care, and others will be along to offer additional advice and support. Please keep posting whenever you have a question or need some support. I wish you all the best!
Hi there
Sonrissa gave you some great advice.
The Boosts or Ensure really help especially when you don't have an appetite.  It sounds like you have had a really rough time and hopefully you will never have to go through it again.
What is your pain from?  There are other alternatives depending on what is causing your pain?
Are you able to go for short walks?  I have learned that really pushing myself to do that has helped with my low energy levels.
Good luck and keep posting.
You have already gotten some fantastic advice, so I will not repeat it.  I will stick to one point, and it is not guaranteed, but happens to most of us who have chronic body issues.  You may have rebound pain that will get worse. Try to remember that it WILL pass.  I feel SO much better now I am off the pills, and being a firefighter (still am) for many years, I have physical beat up issues.  Exercise when you can and use those supplements, it helps your brain heal.

Bryan