Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Dealing with pot withdrawl(withdrawal)

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Dealing with pot withdrawl(withdrawal)

My husband is Pot head.  He's 41 yrs old, and has smoked it since he was a teen.  When he hasn't smoked in even a couple hours he starts withdrawling, within a day without he becomes severely angry, flu like symptom including the chills, irritability, lethargy.  What's the best way to deal with the withdrawals caused by smoking pot?  He is also a sober alchoholic for years at a time before relapsing for one night of binging.  He is also on a prescription for percs for chronic pain which he limits himself to a max of 3 a day when needed... He also smokes a pack of day ciggarettes.  
His brain is def cloudy. Are you sure it's only 3 Percs? I don't mean "only," but it sounds like he's replaced the alcohol for the pills. It seems like pot goes hand in hand with many addicts who see it as a "Drug-lite." Many think about giving up stuff like Meth, but don't even want to talk about giving up pot.

I guess the key question is, does he want to get clean? If so, I can attest that there are other alternative for the chronic pain. I have it, and when it was at it's worse, I thought only the pills that my "caring" doctor prescribed would help. Two years later, and after the hell of WDs, I can say that my pain is being managed better than the pills ever could. Acupuncture, stretching, walking the treadmill, better nutrition, etc. have made a big big difference.

There is hope for your husband, and he'll need you by his side. But he has to be okay with being weak in front of you. He has to want the help. It is more than possible for you guys to get your lives back.
This is no offense to you or him, and he could be that rare 1 in 1,000,000 person who has this, but marijuana does not have those types of WD's. Trust me, I know, I have been there and done that. When marijuana started giving me panic attacks, I gave it the ol college try.

Then again, it could just be that he is that rare person that quitting pot makes those things happen. It sounds more like the percocets. In that case, he would be sailing in my boat.....well, our boat. It is Thomas recipe, amino acids, support from you and support from this site. Actually, if it's the marijuana, same thing.
HI I would be watching a little more careful on how many percs he is really taking what your describing sounds more like narcotic withdrawal if he is just taking a few to many each day he will run his script out a few days early and be forced into withdrawals....now senero 2 he is strung out on the weed I was for many yrs smoked everyday and had the anger thing sleepless nights anxiety when I would run out...when I finely said enough was enough it took about a week to feel better but I had no physical withdrawal just know some shady dealers are putting heroin in the weed to give it some kick if thats the case he would be physically sick coming off it....one things for sure after using for so long he's going to need some help staying clean N/A offers a great program....as addicts we need to change the very way we think to get well and as the others have stated he's got to want to get clean b/4 you can help him
good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
I agree with my friends here. It sounds exactly like opiate withdrawal. I think you might want to have a talk with him and get this in the open. He's a prime candidate for cross addiction.

Good luck--
Does he run out of his script early?  
Thanks everyone, he sells his percs and only leaves himself with a small allotment to last until his next refill. And his dr absolutely will not release them early.  He did quit pot for a couple months a few years ago, and it took him 4 weeks of withdrawal and that was before he got a prescription for the pain meds.  He is super sensitive to alot of medication, having exaggerated symptoms and side effects.  His method of taking the percs is dissolving them in
his mouth.  But his big problem for the last 8 years has been pot.
I don't smoke pot, drink or do any drugs.  I tried pot in high school but I got panic attacks from it as well.  My husbands use of pot isn't just a couple puffs a day, he's full on $20 every 2 days and he gets it from a friend (special price) all his friends and alot of his family smoke it chronically as well.  He gets similar symptoms when trying to quit smoking tobacco as well.
I've never known pot to cause symptoms like that, and certainly not after a couple hours either. I agree that this sounds more like opiate withdrawal. Maybe you should investigate further into what is going on with him. Best Wishes :)
Interesting...Im 35 and have smoked since I was 18. I often wondered about pot wds. All I can say is over the past 3 months Ive ran out of pot and really didnt care. I dont remember wds from it. I do remember getting pretty angry one day and wondered, was it the no pot or a month of no opiates. Who knows. I know opiate wds very well. Each time I quit or ran out the wds came. If I run out or just dont get any pot I dont feel any different really. I actually have more energy and get more stuff done. Im not missing being a pot head and just cant be a pill head. It was killing me. If thats way he takes his percs. Sorry Im having hard time not believing hes wding from opiates. He his. He takes percs then runs out, or sells um. Then runs out of pot at the same time and points to the pot as the culprit. Itll be hard to put your finger on it with all the drugs in his system. The mix cant help Im sure. I dont think pots his problem. Would he tell you he went and got percs if he ran out? We all know you dont need to go to the doc to get pills.
Pot is NOT a physical addiction, its just mental.  It is the opiate from the percs that are making him withdraw.  I have smoked pot for many years and never had any withdrawal issues, unfortunately i cant say the same about percs.  I suggest trying to stop the percs, and worry about the pot after all the withdrawals are over.
I think Dane74  is on to something.
I have to agree with what everyone else has said. I am 52 and have smoked pot daily since my teens only on occasion have I stopped for a few weeks and never have I had any kind of withdrawal from it, I don't think that it's even possible. Perhaps it's all in his head and he's convinced himself that he will feel bad so he does but I too am more inclined to think the symptoms you described in your first post sound very much like opiate withdrawal.
I didn't notice any physical withdrawal from pot but it did have a psychological affect on me    
""""Pot is NOT a physical addiction, its just mental""""
I sure don't agree with this.   Pot builds up in your cells and hangs in there for a long time (like bad tenants who refuse to leave their apartment) even after you stop using.      It takes quite a while to dissipate.
My husband is 33 and he has smoked since he was about 13, he just recently quite to pass a drug test for a job since it seems like everyone wants one these days!! I will say he was a bit of a grouch for a few days but that was it. His energy was a little lower, he is one of those weird people who smokes and then gets crazy energy. We just came off of vics after 2 yrs and that was horrible sounds like what you are discribing but who knows people have side affects when they stop drinking diet pepsi or coffee?
Yeah, I'm for certain it's from his pot.  He's never bought any p's... But all this started way before he had the pills.  I know he's not on anything else, cos his dr does pee tests every couple months and all that comes up is his pot n percs.  I have access to our garage where he hangs out with everyone.  I have a sister, a good friend and an inlaw who have addictions to pills, percs and oxys mostly.  I don't see any of the same behavior patterns.  And as soon as he smokes a joint he's fine.  He's very honest with me, and I've been seeing this for 8 years.  He has even talked to his dr about it.  His dr says he'd rather him be smoking the pot then to have him on values or anything.
Valiums...
maybe they are the percs... but i have  once had myself withdrawls from pot... for a week i would get chills with every motion and felt like death... no energy nothing... i smoked for probably 6 yrs then quit cold turkey for a job... but percs will do the same just much worse.... pot w/d for me lasted 4 or 5 days... not 4 weeks.. thats bs.... most likely percs
Here in NZ it is not uncommon for doctors to prescribe small doses of valium for 1-2 weeks as a way to minimise the anxiety and stress pot addicts describe when tring to stop. Few people acknowledge the intensity that some may experience when ceasing to abuse marijuana and minimise or make light of marijuana WD with the infamous "it is only mental" line

My response is, psychological cravings/addictions are far more problematic and severe than the transient symptoms involved in physical dependance. Just look at a methamphetamine addict Our minds are able to manufacture all manner of real, detectable, treatable symptoms if allowed. This should never be underestimated and i expected more empathy and compassion on an addiction forum.

I have to concur with other posters about the symptoms being more similar to opiate WD but i believe anything is possible with regards to substance abuse and addiction. Does he not have any pot left at all? I would be curious to see if his symptoms are relieved if he were to imbibe. Chance are that there may be more than just marijuana WDs at play.

Here are some links. The second link has some interesting articles about the phyiology of cannabis WDs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_withdrawal

http://www.wellsphere.com/wellpage/marijuana-addiction-withdrawal-symptoms
pot is also NOT an opiate, so even if there is a remote chance of withdrawal it is nothing like coming off opiates.  i am a regular pot smoker on and off for 15 plus years, and when i dont smoke for a lenghth of time all that happens to me is that i eat allot less, sex is not as intense, and i dont sleep as well as if i would have smoked.
Rich, pot is not a  physical adiction (addiction), but it does stay in your system for a period of time.  But it doesnt have the ill effects as opiates does.....
Hello again. I found this article and thought it was extremely interesting. It described all the symptoms you mentioned and more.

....."What has emerged in the past ten years is a profile of marijuana withdrawal, where none existed before. The syndrome is marked by irritability, restlessness, generalized anxiety, hostility, depression, difficulty sleeping, excessive sweating, loose stools, loss of appetite, and a general “blah” feeling. Many patients complain of feeling like they have a low-grade flu, and they describe a psychological state of existential uncertainty—“inner unrest,” as one researcher calls it."

Here is the link
http://addiction-dirkh.blogspot.com/2007/10/marijuana-withdrawal.html

I have had the same symptoms of irritability, having trouble sleeping, having trouble to do anything besides watch TV. That was way before I got my trafic accident that got me hooked on painkillers of the opiate-kind. But since were not doctors here, at least I know I'm not a doctor, there could be some interference between the pot and the opiates. I remember that when I stopped drinking, I could make do with a lot less painkillers.
The liver works in mysterious ways.
I was sent this message which helPed an immense amount in understanding what my hubby is going through. http://hubpages.com/hub/Marijuana-withdrawal-symptoms-Insomnia--anxiety--iritability--headache
Miss--Sometimes we all need to "color outside of the lines".  I know I need to. Not everyone fits into a standard that is acceptable and agreed upon.

I have to agree with Jeremy. (Not that there's a contest here).  But,his post got me thinking a bit.  Nothing with addiction is constant and average,many times.  Each individual has their own set of chemicals inherit to them.  We can only "guesstimate" what
an outcome will be,on any given day. We're human and we vary...

So,maybe it's pot but does it matter?  It's something and it's significant in his life. "Something" is causing him to have these symptoms. I would try to work from there as I'm sure you are. How is he today?
There is a possibility that there is something else in the pot he gets. I smoked pot from the time I was 15 and there were definitely different 'grades'. Some batches were darker than others, some were stickier, some tasted just plain funny and each batch gave off a different type of "buzz". It is possible the pot he gets is laced with chemicals of some sort, or even another drug, which is causing the wd. Though it sounds more likely, like the others are saying, that it's from the pills.

Either way, not fun. Hope you guys get through this ~Liz
If hes been on percs for awhile and they  DONT up his script, hes wding from percs. We all know you build a tolerace to pills. It doesnt take long either. When you start 1 pill will last for half a day. Then a month later that same pill lasts only 1 or 2 hours. Then 2 hours later the wds start. So if he hasent upped his percs Im sure thats whats happening. The longer I took pills the more I needed. Then I couldnt even last through the night without  waking up with wds. I know you dont want to think it but its those nasty percs. Even if hes not wding they change your personality over time. Ive smoked for years and know others who have as well. The only thing Ill say about quiting pot is its alittle harder to get to sleep. You dont loose your appetite you loose the muchies. For me, I felt better when I quit smoking pot.
My husband does no drugs except smoke pot and that link hellc@mst left describes exactly what he's like for at least 72hrs or longer from last smoke.  He is very combative and hard to live with.  I've also been a pot smoker a long time up until this year and each time I quit, I'd get hot flashes, depression, anxiety increase, unable to sleep, etc.  The pot of today is Nothing like the pot of just 15yrs ago.  

IMO, if you didn't mention your bf using pills, I would say his behavior is entirely due to w/d from pot.  Pot can also change ones personality.  I've known my husband for 32yrs.  He quit smoking pot for one yr from 07 - 08 and he was a Completely different person!  Unfortunately, he returned to smoking and his Jeckle and Hyde personality returned in full also.
They are getting ready to legalize medical marijuana here in Az. The anti-drug people are feverishly trying last minute reasoning to stop "the devil weed". The neighbors thought they'd run their own experiment, to find out the "truth behind the controversy". After several hours it was determined that if a squirrel smokes 700 joints a day, he tends to play with his nuts instead of store them. It's possible he is getting smoked up and "just forgets" he took his percs, maybe thinking they were tic tacs or something? I know "back in the day" we'd run out of weed [$10, for a 3 finger bag} we'd drive all over town trying to find more, thus elliciting "drug seeking behavior". I know last night I ran out of vanilla, Haggan Das, ice cream and fell into a panic, I was irritable, and found it hard to sleep, so I snuck into the refer and got my wife's chocolate. It does seem possible that the new strains are not your daddy's weed anymore, obviously people can abuse anything, I know my wifes not happy about her ice cream missing. You would think with 6 thousand years of experience on cannabis, that there would be some conclusions on whether or not it's harmful. Working people since time began, even in the most remote parts of the world have after a long hard day of trying to survive have sought out some type of relief. Seriously, anything can become habit forming and people can get attitude when their habits get changed, unwillingly. I vote, it's the perc's.
As missfive said, this link can explain to all the doubters (like I was) and to all those going "maybeeeee?".

http://hubpages.com/hub/Marijuana-withdrawal-symptoms-Insomnia--anxiety--iritability--headache

I never known anyone to have WD from marijuana, I did not have it after I stopped after more than ten years. It is known though that people have been "upping" the potency of marijuana. To the guy who called her husband a r********, please read the link.

I am not saying anyone is right, I am saying I was wrong in the way I approached this and it was because of my disappointment in myself that I was able to open my mind to maybe her husband does have this problem.

IT dosen't matter, as a couple people have said, it's that her husband gets the help he needs, and it don't matter what substance it is, if someone wants help with an addiction, you support them, not laugh or belittle them. This includes myself, I was wrong in how I handled the post at first.
Everyone, let's tone it down.  As you all know, it is against the Terms of Use to insult, call names, etc., and that seems to be what this thread has descended to.

The debate about marijuana being physically addictive can go on and on, and that's not the point of this forum.  The important thing here is that missfiveday's husband has something happening, and missfiveday is affected by it, and needs support from our members.  Please be mindful that name calling, insults and endless debates are not supportive.

If it continues in this way, we will have to close the thread.

Emily

I didn't even want to touch this one.   Amen.     enough said
People DO suffer from physical withdrawals from pot. I've smoked daily for 15 years now, and within HOURS of not smoking, I am nauseous, anxious, horrible headaches, body aches, flu-like symptoms. I am soooo tired, yet cannot sleep. Night sweats to the point of soaking my clothes and bed. The nausea and vomiting is the worse as it seems to come on in sudden, severe waves. A couple puffs and it all goes away instantly. Don't say it's in my mind, because my "mind" has wanted to quit for years, but my body is weakened by it and I have not been able to take the time to just lay in bed and suffer it out for a week. Work & home life won't allow for the time off. I am now in the process of weaning to ease the symptoms and hopefully beat this once & for all. But just because YOU didn't experience physical symptoms, please do not tell people that it doesn't happen, because it most certainly does!