Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Decided to titrate off methadone/fear

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Decided to titrate off methadone/fear

After much research I have decided to begin my detoxing from methadone, which I take for chronic pain.  I have recently presented with some very discouraging physical health results stemming from 5 years of methadone use.  I now have the skeletal system of an 80 year old and have begun to lose my teeth due to gum and bone loss.  From methadone.
I am afraid of the pain I *may* have when I get down, however since I have not been off opiates for 8 years I haven't a clue if I'm as bad as I was.
Have gotten no support from my PMP about this-she did not want me to do it.
However, I have to find out if I can do anything to help my body regain health, of I fear I'll be in a wheelchair from a fall or something.
FEAR-its really gotten to me, fear of detoxing and withdrawal, fear of pain, fear of looking awful because I have lost 3 teeth this year...geezzzzz.
In any case, I felt the addiction board would know about withdrawal so here I am...Am I an addict?  Don't think so but I sure am chemically dependent on methadone at this time.
Looking for support
january43
yeah i would love to cut down my daily methadone dose as well, but you need to be fully prepared to really lower your dose, deal with some discomfort, and essentially be off of it completely eventually. it will probably take me a few years. im at 80mgs a day, i wont go any higher my dose is perfect but for going down from others experiences and my own knowledge, regardless of your dose i would go down about 2mgs a week at most. if your on a low dose then you can get off relatively easy, the actual part where you dont have it at all is the real test. if youre motivated tho you can do it i see it everyday its amazing. as far as needed something for chronic pain thats a touchy sbuject when coming off the 'done, def. talk to a doctor that you trust, knows you and what hes doing.if you have any other questions let me know anytime, good luck to you-christos