Depression
I am a 60 year old woman who is in the middle of self detox using Thomas' Recipe.  I have done this before (w/o recipe) and doing much better.   I got up to 8 10mg oxy a day over the last 6 months. I am tired of feeling "dull" and want my real me back.  I have been reading the info and everyone talks about getting off, but what happens after to your personality?  Did you need therapy to find it again?  Did you bounce back to your old self before the addiction?   I have never been truly addicted to anything but caffeine and cigs, this one has me baffled.  Alcohol does nothing for me, but make me sleepy.  I hope I am making myself clear...??
You have to remember how opiates work, and why you feel depressed etc. when you quit taking them and after you are over the withdrawals.

Opiates bound to the opioid receptors in your brain and body. They release their artificial endorphins to them, and block the bodies natural endorphins. After a while the neurons that produce the body's natural endorphins disappear. There is no need for them so they just don't rejuvenate like they would normally.

When you stop taking the opiates,  they leave your opioid receptors bare, and they are calling out for your body's natural endorphins, but there isn't any there at first. You body has to repopulate the neurons that make them, and this takes time.

Endorphins like dopamine  control your moods, anxiety, sadness, anger, happiness, pain etc.

You will slowly get your "old self" back as these neurons repopulate and begin increasing their endorphins production. After being off the opiates for a month, they should be about 45-50% of normal, and be back to normal within a year.
So hang in there, you will feel better and better as the months roll by, and they roll by pretty darn quick when we get to our age, don't they!

Try keep busy and keep your mind focused on positive things instead of dwelling on the depression, anxiety, etc. that are only temporary and will disappear as your endorphins return to normal.

Does that  answer or help you understand your questions?
Thank you for the response, that makes so much sense!  My last attempt to stop actually worked about 5 months and then I relapsed.  I am determined to make it work this time.  I remember feeling better in that 5 months, but it was not the whole way.  Now I get it.  I have to say this time is so much easier.  I have been able to actually get out and do things that I could not the last time.  Thomas' recipe has really helped.  I finally admitted to my husband and daughter what was happening when I was trying to stop the last time.  It did help.  They could understand why I was struggling with just hanging on.  I want to much to make it work this time.  I am tired of being "dull" and boring.