Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Dextoxing of Vicodine medically AT HOME

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Dextoxing of Vicodine medically AT HOME

Yikes...I have posted a few times on this site...and still haven't figured out to how to respond to other peoples responses. I became dependent on Vicodine over the last 5months after suffernig a severe separated shoulder...No one knows...and I wanted it to stay like that....lots of guilt and shame over it...and I was clean and sober for over 13 years. I run a company and have 2 small children and a very self rightous husband who will absolutly flip out on me if I confide wiht him ( I know that in ther lies a part of my problem ...since I have taken presciption pain meds for births and injuries in sobriety and never had an issue! But a lot of depression in my relationship and stress in life and the long term pain I was in created the perfect storm for this to happen to me!!) Anyhow...I finally went to a addiction specialist, whicch was scary, everyone in there is court orderd and looked seriosuly strung out..and I felt out of place......When I met with the Dr....she took blood, vitals, ekg,  & then made me pee in a cup (while being observed!!! HELLO I AM THERE ON MY OWN ACCORD,,,they made me feel like a criminal) anyhow.....since she was the fist human I addmitted to this addiction to (besides here but no one Face to face) I credi histerically and she and the place scared the **** out of me!!! Anyhow..b/c I had some other things that had to be taken care of I told her I would ccome back on Tuesday. She told me I had to tell my husband or someone else that will have to be aware of what is going on. I can not tell my husband so I thnk I will confide in one of the few freinds I have met here that knows of my past (we moved here a few years back and no one knows my past) the Dr. Said I will have to take 2 days off from work (which is what I was trying to aviod)  
She said that for 3 days I will be on the following drugs to aleviate symptoms: Celebrex for pain, Clonodine for sweats and chills, Visitril for anxiety and Seroquel for sleep. Then she said she will put me on some blocking agent that will help me with temptation.
My question is (which I know I should and will ask her ono Tuesday) when I take the meds she is givingme is that when I will need the 2 days off....or is it when she takes me off those and puts me on the blocking agent whne I will be really sick?
Has anyone heard of this or done this so I can know what to prepare for??? I just want my life back.....that place scares me. trust me I was a herion addict over 13 (almost 14) years ago....and NEVER wanted to be on anything ever again....
I am taking between 5-8 vicodins a day now......I tried weening...and got down to 3-4 but then after meeting with her I have freeked out and want to finish what I have so there will be no temptation to relapse.....I have no more refills....and don't want to resort to more Dr. manipulations....
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
well from what people have told me the pain killers are harder to come off of than the heroin. you really should not be ashamed of your addiction. it is an easy trap that so many have fallen into and from all walks of life.
it really is much easier if the people around you know and understand what you are going through. but that is your choice.

i don't think i like that 'blocking agent' the doctor wants to put you on. better find exactly what it is. if it is the suboxone you will really need to learn all the facts about it before taking it. it is even easier to get addicted to and much harder to come off of than vicodins. it is still an opiate. i have only heard of a couple people using it succesfully so far. most end up addicted to it and on it for months and years and what a mess.

i quit by weaning down first for a month to like one pill a day. my withdrawl (withdrawal) was very smooth and doable. clean for 13 months now and no struggles at all or depression. i think it hits you harder when you quit cold turkey and those are the ones getting the bad depression afterwards. well it is quite a shock to the body and brain.

best to you and keep posting.
No I made it very clear that I was not interested in Suboxone....or anythign like that....I think it is a drug that flushes your body out of opiods......but your right...I am not sure. I will call on Monday to request to know exactly what she is planning on putting  me on!
wow, for an x herion addict you are really harsh on the junkie at the addiction doctors office
thats something to look at
sorry....that threw me off topic

as far as lying to your husband, i will tell you this,
my husband lied to me for a long time about being clean off methadone, he even picked up chips in na, claiming he was clean
when i finally drug tested him and found out he lied to me, i was so mad i kicked him out, and told him what he had to do to come home,,,,detox and 3 months in a recovery house
if he would have just been honest and said, i am sick, i cannot quit, will you help
i would have held his hand through all that, but i was so angry he lied to me

i am glad that you found a doctor to give you comfort meds....they will not take away the pain or discomfort of opiate detox, but they will treat some of the symptoms
now as far as the "blocking agent" goes...are you being prescribed revia?
you are safe to be honest here, and i am sure that your family will also be supportive,
i have one suggestion read the chapter "relaspe in recovery"  you can find this chapter by googling na basic text online, its wonderful information, you will see that there are 2 pages in this chapter that address your specific situation
definantly let us know what "blocking agent",
xo
You actually cane do this at home with out anyof that "stuff".  People do it everyday.  You will be sick though.  BUT it is very much like the worst flu youve ever had so that could be your excuse for being sick.  

Be strong!  IT CAN BE DONE! Good Luck!
your husband lie t u because he an addict. u should of stood beside him an help him and show him love and he has someone to get well for.
find him a rehab. be there 4 him. he was ashame, that why he lie. it not like he was cheating on u.
TO GET OFF OF VICODINE IS NOT EASY. U NEED FAMILY SUPPORT. U NEED NO STRESS AND A QUITE PLACE. AND A REHAB. CHOSE THE RIGHT ONE. THERE ARE SEVERAL.DO RESEARCH. IF YOU ARE MARRY AND YOUR PARTNER NOT THERE FOR U IS NOT GOOD BECAUSE THE PARTNER MIGHT OF HAVE DONE SOMETHING THTA U HAVE STOOD BESIDE THEM WHEN THERE HAVE DONE THINGS WRONG IN THEIR MARRIAGE. NO ONE PERFECT. FIX THE PROBLEM. YOU GET MARRIED FOR BETTER OR WORST.