Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Did I loose all my friends today?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Did I loose all my friends today?

Whos really your friend I was thinking to myself today? The guys Ive known for ten years? The same guys and girls that introduced me to pills? The same ones that when I tell them Im done. Offer me stuff the next day or two.JUST TO HELP?!!! How is that helping me? Misery loves company. Man it does. I picked up my phone today its ten numbers lighter. Did I really loose ten friends today? I dont think so. Letting go of those numbers was huge. Yes I remember some of them alot were on speed dial. Anybody that offered me anything this time I quit is gone. They are still using and want me to be to. They dont want to help me. I or we or us can only help ourselves. These friends we all have, have to go when the drugs go. Dont get me wrong. We can get help from others but we can only help ourselves. Man I hope that makes sense. Anyways, if you really want to quit, for good. It hurts, we all got to loose our so called friends. I kept one. Yes after all that stuff I just said, He is still using. I got help from him but he didnt help me. I did it. He offered me nothing. I knew he had something but he never offered. If I wouldve asked he wouldve said NO!  To sum things up, I have one friend and thats ok with me. I want him to help himself. We were suppost to quit at the same time, didnt work. Hes not ready and I understand that. Right now I have to help myself so I can be there to help my last friend. Hes gotta help himself first. Drugs, ruin friendships. I proved it today!
So true. Im in a small town and I swear people would be amazed with how many people use here and Ive found they are all waiting to jump on your weakness. Its like doing good is a threat and they want to hold you down with them. I also have let many many friends and numbers go that have been around with me since high school days. Right now I have about two people I could actually call a true friend. Similar situation with one of them as well as I believe he still uses, but is well aware of his problem and has been extremely supportive of what Im doing and would never do anything to ruin it. I believe this was one of my biggest steps forward in recovery and would be nearly impossible without doing. Ive been told theres lots of great people out there and I have just been involved with the wrong crowd for too long to see it and I agree. Cheers to new friendships.
Good for you on getting rid of the so called friends.  Most of the people i had to let go are still using and it is really sad to see but i am what is important.  Hopefully at some point your friend will find his way and get clean.          sara
you make a lot of sense... there is only a way to stay on this path and this is without people that are using or can be dangerous for us, well done. Hope your friend will find his way too...
Have you ever heard the song "I'm Movin' On" by Rascal Flatts?  I'll try to post the link but not sure if this forum allows links.  If not go listen on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1bxlDAjGCo

You did a good thing deleting those so called friends as you say, they know you were miserable using as they are too, and they want you in the same boat........what kind of friend is that?

We have to get new friends.......one's that don't use and that is the only way we can win at this horrible game of being an addict.

Good luck.

Cissy
My counselor told me like this. They are your using friends Krissy they use with you and use you for drugs. That is soooo true. I have very few friends left the ones I do are real friends and have never used or have used but are clean now. I hated the thought of having to make all new friends. I think I will just keep the few I have and not worry about it.