Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Dizziness problems related to alchohol abuse

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I've been a heavy beer drinker for years.  By the end, I was drinking 7-12 beers daily.  Over the course of the last spring, I had symptoms such as a rapid heartbeat, agitation, and finally dizziness.  I finally stopped drinking and I'm feeling better every day, but after over 2 weeks of sobriety, the dizziness persists.  I don't think I can blame detox, because it started while I was still drinking.  Do you think the dizziness is a holdover from the years of alchohol, and will it likely disappear with time?  

NOTE:  the dizziness has decreased somewhat over the last two weeks, but I'm still surprised that it has persisted this long.  I am an avid runner and cyclist, so I tend to notice balance problems.  
-1 Comments Post a Comment

Your story is exactly like mine except you can put roxicodone in place of beer.  I did the same thing.  I was taking the same amount of Roxi that I had always took, and one day BAM here came the rapid heartbeat, dizziness, etc.  I reduced the amount of Roxi I was on dramatically four months ago.  I didn't totally stop but I did get back down to what I was supposed to be taking.  Like you all problems have subsided but the dizziness.  I see that this is an old post.  If you found help please write me.
Chad
Noticed the post was an old one too but just wanted to tell you that a friend of mine, heavy beer drinker, daily for years ended up with episodes of dizziness, Come to find out he was diagnosed with vertigo. I had an episode also, that lasted 2 weeks. Don't know if drinking heavily can bring it on but you might want to ask your doc. Let me know if you found out the cause. take care.
your only 2 weeks sober from drinking a substantial amount of alcohol. it sounds like you are suffering from DT's, or dilerium tremors, if you want a diffinition just google it.
This post was actually from June, but no one answered it back then.  If you read the whole post, you'll note that the dizziness began while I was still drinking - this is why I was confused at the time - I thought it would go away sooner.  That being said, the problem eventually went away with sobriety on my part.  At the time, I was surprised at how long it lasted and was afraid it would never go away.  I'm sure it was caused by the alcohol, but I don't think it was related to DT's.  I think my body had simply absorbed all the beer it was capable of absorbing, and it was time to stop.  That's my theory, and i'm sticking to it!  
i am facing the same problem, i stopped alchohol after heavy usage ,my dizziness is like presycope i am feeling i am about to faint, but i havent fainted yet,could you tell me how long this dizziness last, is it presycope you were having or vertigo?
Just ran into this on the internet because i too have been drinking more heavily for the past few years and now find myself with vertigo.  I've quit totally this is my third day and feel a little bit better but the vertigo is still there somewhat.  I hope this goes away and i too am a runner and athlete.
good 4 u....drinking is a tough one as it is so available in society..and acceptable in most circles..it is good u quit ..think of all the weight u will lose!
I have been reading everything and anything about alcohol and vertigo and double vision.  I have been clean now for three months.  Still have symptoms HORRIBLY. Went to doctor no problems with my ears.  Anybody... I have had to quit my job, lost weight, and now I am very anxious and cannot preform daily activities.

- Daisy4444