Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Do I need to taper tramadol off?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Do I need to taper tramadol off?

Hi I have been on 50 mg a day (cut into 2 - 25 mg doses) for about 35 days.  Do you think I need to taper off or go cold turkey to stop?  thanks for answering!
I need to get off this tramadol soon because it causes me horrible itching & I am only on a small dose, as Iposted.  I just don't know if I should cut them & taper off.  I appreciated your help so much, as I have been miserable with the pain & itching.  thx
Hi-   You're on a very small dose as it is so its a bit hard to taper down from that amount. I would just stop it completely but if you become symptomatic, taper. Just drop a small amount over time, but seriously, you may be fine just stopping, especially when the itching is gone!
Thank you for your comment. I only took 25 mg yesterday, & none so far today so it's been 25 hrs now.  I'm only itching a little now (whereas I had itched awfully for the whole time) , so I'm pretty sure it was the pills & I sure hope they get out of my system soon.  Yesterday a while after I took the 25 mg I was itching like crazy & that's why I didn't want to taper unless I have to.  I think I might make it without having to taper. The sooner the better.  I have been miserable.  Thank you again vicki595, & to all fellow posters:  If you have a terrible itch all over, it might just be something you're on because that is a common side effect of many medicines.  Good luck & prayers to all who need help.