Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Do Your Loved Ones Go To Al-Anon?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Do Your Loved Ones Go To Al-Anon?

Does anybody have spouses/family members that go to Al-Anon? My hubby has been going for about 1.5 months, but he still cannot talk about this with me? Has it helped any of you?
My ex-husband was an alcoholic during our 18 yrs. of marriage.  I did attend lots of Al-Anon meetings, but to say whether or not it helped, maybe a little bit.  It is just a meeting with others who are supporting an alcoholic they love (whether it be a spouse, daughter, son, etc.) and sharing things with one another as to what they are going through in their lives.  It is to give the person going to the meeting an understanding of "it is only the person addicted to alcohol/drugs that can make changes for the better".  It is basically that person's choice, and you (the person attending Al-Anon has no control over).  It tries to help you better understand that you only have control over yourself, and you need to make the choices you are willing to live with.

I hope this helps.