"Doctor Shopping," or not?
Last week, I received a scrip for 210 vicodin from my pain management doc.  I have two herniated discs on my spine (it's well documented)- hence the meds.  I haven't yet filled the scrip.  

Two days ago I had knee surgery, and my wife went to our pharmacy and filled the scrips that the hospital gave me- one for an antibiotic, another for 35 vicodin, about a week's supply.  

Here's my question: if after, say, a week (i.e.- when the hospital-given vics run out), I bring the OTHER scrip (the original one for 210 vics) to the pharmacy and try to fill it, would this be considered "doctor shopping?"  

I ask because I've seen "Doctor Shopping" defined as "filling multiple scrips from multiple doctors for the same drug in the same class within a 30 day period"- which this would be (I guess).  

Can anyone shed any light on this?      
are you using insurance to pay for this with a co-pay..?
I would say that yes, it would probably be considered doctor shopping. At the very least your dr wouldn't be too happy that you didn't disclose that you already have access to vic's and didn't need more.  Also, your insurance may not cover it (assuming you're not just paying cash).
{2} perscriptions by no means is Dr. Shopping maybe (2) at every drug store in town........

I mentioned insurance because if you fill the small one you won't be able to fill the large on until the smaller one is empty by doctors percribed ammount.....
I would say yes, but to be honest i have done that before..I had some for a pinched nerve..Then i caught an abcess out the blue, had to have oral surgery and was out of it..So my mom went fill my scripts...It was nothing intentional...I used my insurance and had no problem..that was 2 yrs ago..now they were the same meds but different strenghts...So if it was only one time i would not worry about it..
R2R
percsquirrel   kyjobr does make a good point about honesty if you already had a script for 210 vics why would you need 35 more?

That is addictive behavior but hey thats what addicts do............lol
Sorry - I vote "no".  I'm fairly certain the fellow who gave you the 210 wouldn't flinch that the hospital gave you 35 after a procedure - with no refill.
I wasn't being dishonest with the hospital docs- I didn't even want their freakin' hospital-given 35 vics! I'm serious!  My WIFE filled the scrips (and now I'm stuck with 'em)!  

I asked about this because I still have the original 210-vics-from-the-pain-management-doc scrip, and I DO want to fill that one, but not if it's going to raise some red flag!  I AM NOT TRYING TO DOCTOR SHOP!  

BTW, yes, I'm filling everything through my insurance.  

("Sigh") I guess I'll just wait 30 days and then ask my pain-doc to write a new scrip (I'll hand him the old, unfilled one).  

What a joke that I even have to think about all this.  Imagine if I didn't read this forum and then got "caught" doing something "wrong;" I would have had no idea that it was even a problem!  Scary times.
i understand what you are saying...At the time i did this i had no idea and never thought about it until i read this forum because i became an addict..Does that make sense?
So i am sure i had done this before and didn't think about it...i would not worry about it..I think you can fill the other no problem,,,if u think it will bring up a red flag then be honest with you PM..And he will respect that..
Good luck
R2R
     If the 35 are for a weeks supply why not use them until the end of the week then fill the 210?  There would be no problem with that right?  And you wouldn't have to go without.  I don't see the big issue, unless you just want to fill the 210 now, but there is no need to do that if you already have the 35.
eliminnopee has it right
I really don't think you'll go to jail or anything.  We've all done it.  I didn't even realize it was illegal.  I figured if I had a real script and didn't lie to the doctor then I was ok.  I never thought about the lying by ommission.  I agree with elim, take the one week dose and then fill the 210.  That's probably what the second dr would have told you to do anyway.
What's happened with you is not Dr. Shopping!
Florida has the model Doctor Shopping law.  That Statute [Fl. St. 893.13(7)(a)(8)] provides that it is unlawful for a person:

"To withhold information from a practitioner from whom the person seeks to obtain a controlled substance or a prescription for a controlled substance that the person making the request has received a controlled substance or a prescription for a controlled substance of like therapeutic use from another practitioner within the previous 30 days."

Your deal doesn't sound like doctor shopping to me.  If you wait until the 35 vic's would be gone at the prescribed rate, you'll be fine.  If you want to cross every "T," etc., when you go back to your pain doc, tell him about the 35 from the hospital.

My questions to you would be: a) why the name percsquirrel? and b) why ask this question on an addiction forum?  Are you taking these things strictly as prescribed and only for actual pain or have they become a much appreciated (if not yet "needed") form of recreation?

CATUF
869

No for one thats 5 a day for the problem your having.Ruthie
I gotta say I really dont see what the problem is here. Like someone else said here, use the script of 35 for the week then fill the script for the 210. What you did was NOT doctor shopping!!!!
Hi I have cronic neck and back pain.  I was getting 120 10s per month from my pm doc last year.  I broke my ankle last July and I was perscribed like 30 5s - I just went to another pharmacy and had it filled.  I didnt even think about the insurance, no one ever questioned it.  But if you think it will draw attention to your insurance co, just wait till the weeks worth runs out then get the other one filled - maybe go to a different pharmacy, so as not to draw any attention to yourself.  That isnt breaking any laws.  Unless you signed a paper with your pm doc saying that you wouldnt get any other pain meds.  More than likely your pm doc would not even know about such a small script.  They are concerned with people who really are doctor shopping.  - making up stuff to get pain meds and doing that a bunch with a bunch of docs.
im not sure about the situation.    I just love your name though.
You are just fine getting your scripts filled....It came from two different places because of the hospitlal visit....seriously, whats 35 more than 210....your ok my friend.....don't worry..... you didn't write the script....just be wise in taking them.......
Sorry, didn't mean hospital....meant surgeon
At may pain management Doctor's office they have posted clearly on the wall the Law  on DR. shopping laws. It states that any patient that visits another Doctor within a 30 day period and obtains the same drug on a drug in the same category, IE., hydrocodone, oxycodone, or any other similar drug for pain. Is in violation of the above law. The same goes to speak for obtaining anxiety drugs from one or more drugs in the the same class. You will especially get caught if you try and have all the meds paid by insurance! In act they will right to your Doctors and notify then them of whats going on! Then the insurance co., will flag your account, not to fill any of your refills early. If they do not cancel your insurance. They may even file a complaint with DEA that will pursue the matter even further
if you didn't want 35  then why do you want 210?  
After further research and talking to my insurance if a read flag goes up on your profile, it does not always means a person is Doctor Shopping. If it came up for review it is more geared to the specific diagnosis. Example your PCP writes you 90 5/500 Vicodin, and then refers you to pain management.
The pain management DR. writes for 120 10/325  Norco, The PM DR., has written you a stronger pain med or he may switch you to percocer7.5/325 #90. The PM DR., should instruct you to flush the earlier prescribed medications down and that is just what you would tell your insurance co, or any other agency that may contact you! That I destroyed the medication at the second Dr's request, The other option you have is take 210-35=165. Have the  pharmacy fill it for 165 pills this way you are not being over prescribed when reviewed by your insurance co, The problem now a days in the ins. world is that they hire a third party to manage their drug plan benefits such as companies like MED-CO. and Prescription Solutions and the new WALGREENS computer system which can link all Rx data bases in the country, It is up and running! -------------------NOAH