Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Doctor shopping?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Doctor shopping?

Ok so I've been addicted to fioricet for about 4 years now, it's always been the only thing that works for my headaches. I can take up to 20 pills a day with no problem. I've been tryin to get off of them but when I do try I get really sick so I end up going to urgent cares or ers to get more. I have had two physicians prescribe me the medication for about 3 months. Well I called my doc on Friday to see why he denied my refill and he said it was because I recieved it from another physician. Now I'm really scared that ill get arrested or reported to the dea. I live in missouri. Can't find any laws on doctor shopping or anything. Can anyone help me???? I'm scared.
You will not get in trouble by the law or arrested or in trouble by DEA but unfortunately your doctor most likely will inform the other doctor about him writing you a prescription at the same time. You will either loose both of them or one of them as your prescribing Dr. But don't be scared about legal trouble
Hi & Welcome,

I hope this was a wake-up call for you hun and you get the help you need. If you were taking 20 a day then something is wrong. That far exceeds the recommended dosage and it is dangerous and also illegal.

they are cracking down on pain pill prescribing because it is near an epidemic in this country. If it didn't happen to you now then it would have in the near future.

If your doctor didn't do anything by now more than likely he won't do anything other than to not prescribe you anything.

Again, I hope you take this as an opportunity to get help.
I agree 100% with IBKleen. I hope that this is a wake up call for you. You will not get arrested but you could get "red flagged" and that is going to prevent you from getting any more narcotic pills. I think its time to work with a doctor and start weaning yourself off this medication. 20 pills a day will eventually turn into 30. Its definitely time to stop! That's a dangerous amount you are taking. I know you said you get sick when you try to stop them~that is withdrawal. Maybe its time to come clean to your prescribing doctor and get some help getting off the pills. There are some newer medications to help migraines that are non narcotic. I hope you make the decision you want. ((((hugs))))
I just wonder how he knew since I didn't think missouri had a pdmp or any laws yet for that. I'm on my 4th day without any. I'm not going to "doctor shop" anymore that's for sure. I think part of my addiction to fioricet is because I also have anexity and it would calm me down. Now I'm withdrawling and worring about being in trouble with the law. I wish I never touched those pills. How do you know if you've been red flagged?
I would be more concerned about the 20 a day you take.  Consider yourself red flagged and get some help with this.  There is no happy ending to addiction.
I think it may be time to make an appointment with your doctor and spill your guts. Be honest about your dishonesty and plea for help. I think you'll be surprised at the support. This is not the first time your doctor has seen someone get addicted to opiates and completely lose control. It's worth a shot. This may be the opportunity that saves your life. Don't worry about the law, worry about doing the next thing to recover. By the way, they've been working on a national accountability for opiates, it's going to get harder and harder to get them, at least I hope so.
The great thing here is that you are clean for four days. You're in "recovery", so just read about and ask about, what you should be doing now. God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The Courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference. I think you are probably only "red flagged" and believe or not that's put in place to help you. I doubt that anything more will come of it. Now, you need to put a "program" in place for yourself. Get to closed and open meetings, get a sponsor, exercise, hobbies, nutrition, drink lots of water and sleep. Talk to people about your thoughts of relapse, before you relapse. Hold on very tight to these first 4 days, and make it 5. One day at a time you can do this. Congratulations on your clean time. Get a tracker happening, and celebrate every single day you stay clean. Be very careful not to allow yourself to rely on anything else. If you're an addict that means you'll most likely abuse any mind altering substances. So beware of alcohol and anything else. Do this with what God has given you. You don't need to cross addict yourself any further. Use other addicts to help you keep your clean time. I've now got over 13 years clean and sober. I would hate to be using anything right now. I' absolutely LOVE being clean. My doctor tried to put me on meds recently for Diabetes Type 2, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I said NO, I lost 30 lbs, lowered my blood pressure, my cholesterol and am managing my Diabetes with no medication. God has given us all we need to live without meds, more times than not. Keep up the good work, and get a "program" happening. I can help you, along with so many others here to do just that. God Speed. You can do this.
Fiorcet is a barbituate and at the dose you are taking it can cause seizures.   Please talk to your dr about helping you withdraw properly with other meds such as phenabarbytal.   I took that stuff for years and it causes rebound headaches, so yeah, in time that's all that works.   Once you get off it you will find non narcotic meds that help with headaches.   As far s red flagged or being put on notice, it was probably the pharmacy or your insurance that notified both doctors.   They wont give you any more and you may have a challenge with any narcotic in the future due to the addiction epidemics.