Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Does Anyone Know About The Drug Baclofen????

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Quick review of my past. I'm clean from Oxy's and Percs for a little over 30 days now, but I have alot of medical issues. My urologist put me on Baclofen to help me get rid of urine retention which will put me in kidney failure if not addressed. Now I'm going to have to have surgery, just not sure what my choice of two surgeries are yet, but in the meantime he wants me to take these. I've read the warnings/precautions and honestly these things sound pretty scary. Does anyone here know anything about them. I need to take them so that I don't go into kidney failure prior to surgery, but I'm frightened of this drug. It says you can even have such things as hallucinations!! Say what?? Please guys if anyone knows about this drug, please help me out. I've read up on it, but I trust first hand experience a whole lot more. :-)
Kidney failure is nothing to take a chance on. CONGRATS ON THE 30 days!!!! I would ask my pharmists too because they know alot about those sorts of drugs.
Seeing your 30 days gave me Holy Spirit goosebumps.
Baclphen is a type of muscle relaxer and is used often for MS patients for spasms and such...if you doctor wants you to take it..then u need to take it or express your concerns with him...it would relax the bladder so that urine would flow...pharmacist could also give u more info...good luck and congrats on your clean time
My dad took baclofen for the spasms in his back and leg.  The only thing was it caused him a lot of confusion.  It could have been just because he was elderly, but it's not something to take without alot of reseach.  Godd luck
It clearly states that it may cause confusion and dizziness amoung some other not very pleasant s/e's. I did voice my concern to my urologist, but after further testing being done Friday my kidney's are at serious risk at this point. My urologist is trying to buy some time with the Baclofen as I have an appointment with a neurologist on May 13th and after that I see my urologist again on May 16th. That will be the day that the ultimate decision will be made. It seems that I find myself in a situation where I just can't win. I don't want to take this med, but he said it must be treated aggressively until I see the neurologist. Soooooo here I am finding myself where I either take it and pray for the best or risk my kidney's. Here I thought things were looking up!!!
It sounds like the Baclofen is a smaller risk. Don't take a chance on your kidneys, Rose. There is a site you may or may not know about: The Vaults of Erowid. Info on many types of drugs, plants & so forth. You might check it out. Good luck.
Hi Rose, my name is Kathy and I am a 53 yr. old woman who is taking Baclofen and have been for over a year now. I have serious back problems and was taking Flexeril for muscle pain and muscle spasms.. My doctor changed it to Baclofen because I have become immune to the Flexeril after taking it for so long. Baclofen is a muscle relaxant and is used for muscle pain and spasms.. I have never heard about using it for your kidneys..I will tell you though that you need to adress these questions to your own doctor.. Only he/she can tell you why they decided to prescribe it.. On these sites you can just type Baclofen into your browser and it will tell you all about it and what it is prescribed for.. Good luck and you have our prayers on your precedure.. ks
I have Myofascial pain syndrome. I have been taking Baclofen for a year and a half now. I also have been taking narcotics such as Methadone and Percocet as well. I had taken Flexaril and Soma the past, which does not work as well for my condition. I would say that Baclofen is much safer than any narcodic, and my even be safer than other muscle relaxers. If your doctor put you on Baclofen, it is for good reason...to give you a better quality of life with less risk! Consult your doctor and your pharmacist for concerns. Your doctor is a professional and would not risk his/her license on a high-risk patient when it comes to exposing you to a potentially deadly drug!