Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Does Ibogaine work?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Does Ibogaine work?

I have read many articles for the supposed "wonder cure" for addiction, ibogaine.  I was wondering if there could possibly be any truth to it.... although I highly doubt it because it sounds too good to be true.

I was hoping that if there is even a grain of truth to it, it might help my fiance so he could detox off of 90 mg of methadone, which he has been taking for about 5 years.

Does anyone know anything about ibogaine for real?
To tell you the truth i have never heard about ibogaine and never heard of any wonder cure apart from hard work willpower,detrmination,possitve thinking and lots of encouragment i have been clean for 34 days from a 13 year heroin addiction but would never have done it without the wonderful help i recived here at mh the people here gave me all the support i could ever ask for and much more and i really had to stop the heroin as i new it was killing me and if there is a wonder cure no one ever told me about it i used to get methadone but was allergic to something in it as every time i took it i was violently sick but doing great now james
I am not experienced about Methadone, so hopefully someone who has come off Methadone can shed some light for ya, but yeah, I've never heard of ibogain either because I've gone through withdrawl (withdrawal) so many times that I probably would of found or at least heard of it.  During all those withdrawls I always relapsed to my drug of choice, Hydrocodone.  The buzz is all about Suboxone.  I wouldn't know the slightest about how easy it is to quit Methadone cold turkey, I'm sure it's tough, but could be done.  That is the best option possible.  The next best option for something as strong as Methadone is most likely tapering.  If you find it impossible to quit cold turkey (and you should try it first) and everytime you try to taper you find yourself going back up again constantly, then Suboxone is definately a great option.  A couple warnings....it reacts differently to everyone.  Most find it helpful, but some it can react to badly, but of course, that comes with the risk of any medication.  Secondly....Suboxone can be abused just like any drug, so if you eventually choose this route, you need to be very sure how you're going to take it, then take it just as prescribed and set a plan in place immediately on tapering off of it as soon as you can.  Good luck and God Bless.

BQ
Check out some of the personal experiences with Iboga that are described here...

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Ibogaine.shtml

I have read them all, along with some more on other sights. Personally, I don't think Iboga is a miracle treatment, but it appears as though it can help people get through withdrawals.

In every experience the person describes an intense psychadellic experience that ends with an easier ability to quit opiates. However, in most the descriptions, the person is required to be in withdrawals before they take their dose of Iboga and the experience itself lasts about 2 days with after effects extending into weeks. Many report that after the effects of the Iboga wear off, their withdrawals do return, however they are more mentally equip to handle them. One person mentions that the pain of withdrawals was only physical after the Iboga experience, and that the mental stress was suddenly gone.

I tend to question what the drug is actually doing. Iboga has both hallucinogenic and stimulant properties. The typical description mentions intense visual and auditory hallucinations, along with feelings similar to that of MDMA or an amphetamine. The hallucinogenic experience tends to last the 2 days, followed by the couple weeks where the person has trouble sleeping, is very alert and "excited about life" ie. stimulated.

If anyone has ever taken an amphetamine while they are withdrawaling from opiates, you know that it has the ability to mask almost all the pain of withdrawal. Hallucinogins tends to have the same effects from what I have read, though I have no experience with them. At the same time, almost every person discusses the use of marijuana after their experience with Iboga to help with the residual feelings of withdrawal.

Regarding the positive attitude and new outlook on certain aspects of life.(addiction, friendships, family, anger, happiness, etc), I believe that there is evidence that psychadellic experiences can have positive effects. There are many valid studies, one from Johns Hopkins specifically, that involved 30-some individuals being dosed with psilocybin(the active ingredient in hallucinogenic mushrooms). Over 75% of the participants reported noticable positive lifestyle and attitude changes immediatly following their experience. And the majority of that group reported that this positive change in well-being continued when contacted months later.

With regard to Iboga, in my non-medically trained, armchair researcher opinion, I believe that the intense 2-3 day long experience masks the pain of withdrawals during their highest intensity. And the following days of extended stimulant effects continues to mask the withdrawal feelings. Most are also using marijuana during this time to curtail withdrawal feelings. Once the effect of the drug has completely worn off, the individual seems to be through the worst of the withdrawals. Most mention that discomfort does return at some point, and that the remainder of withdrawal is felt. I think that the positive mental experience that the person has while using Iboga helps them deal with this discomfort...as is described in some of the reports.

So when you look at the use of Iboga, it is not unlike traditional detoxification...it just uses non-traditional medicine. At its core, it is the use of a drug(s) to combat the pain of opiate withdrawal and detox the body. Because of the hallucinogenic properties, users can experience a positive change in thier lifestyle perspectives. Apparently, this occurs often if the drug is taken with the intention of making these changes in mind...if it is a person's focus during the experience. Similarly, in a traditional detoxification, group therapies and cognitive behavioral therapies help individuals change their focus in life and move away from addiction.

Ultimately, when you look at all these reports the only solid consistencies are that using the drug masks the pain of withdrawal for some duration of time. And that the hallucinogenic experience can potentially result in some short-term positive changes in attitude.

As we all know, your attitude is a huge part of recovery, especially during withdrawals. So when these individuals ingest Iboga with the belief that it is a miracle drug that will cure them...their minds are in prime position to take on opiate withdrawal. After the drug masks the worst of the withdrawal, the individual probably cannot help but be impressed and even more positive that they have beaten addiction. And if you throw in an enlightening psychadellic experience, it will only create more confidence.

Addicts need something to hold on to for support. Be it 12-step groups, therapy, meditation, etc. Iboga treatment seems to be another option for support. In a way, it almost works in the same way a religion does. As I said, our minds are the most powerful part of our bodies. If we believe in something strongly enough, we will attribute all the positives and successes in our lives to it. I think this is what occurs with those that use Iboga. Clearly it has helped some people, and that is great for those who have experienced success. However, I think one should recognize what is really occurring when a person uses Iboga.

Lastly, Iboga is a schedule 1 restricted substance that has been deemed unsafe for human consumption. Although hallucinogens have been known to produce positive, enlightening experiences...they are also responsible for causing a great many negative, life-changing experiences. I, personally, would not risk ingesting a substance like Iboga when there are so many positive and safe traditional methods available for recovery. It just seems too dangerous and risky, not to mention illegal. (at least here in the US) If it was a true, safe was to cure opiate addiction...there would be Iboga clinics all over the US charging $30,000 per client to cure people. Right?

To me, it seems like Iboga treatment is just tripping on a hallucinogen long enough to get through the worst of withdrawals. It might help...if you are willing to take all the risks involved.

That's all I got. A very interesting topic. I enjoyed researching it.

***These are just my thoughts, based on the reports and information I have read. I don't have personal experience with Iboga, or any hallucinogens. I would love to hear from someone who has tried it first hand though. I am curious what their thoughts are on it in hindsight. There were no follow-ups available beyond the primary reports I could find.***
its V E R Y dangerous
Have you, or do you know someone who has tried it?
I believe it illegal in the US and it sounds scary to me I just read about it .
Yes, it is illegal in the US. And quite scary. I just read this report that I have missed. The experience resulted in a visit to the ER and an infection in the heart. (Not sure if the Iboga caused it, but still pretty scary.) Link below if you want to check it out.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=41522
so ur telling me its like peyadote(spelling) its a catus that makes u trip for like 3 days and thats kinda what this sounds like to me. thats a long time to be tripping for i did 3 days and wow was that wayyyyyyy to long. anyway. i dont understand how this will work but who knows is it prescribded by a dr or over the counter doubt ovc but who knows these days. unfortunatly im willing to try anythng
you wont get it from a doctor if you are in the us and no you cant get it o c t I would look int other options
ok just read further down it illegal makes sense but i still dont know what it is is the active ingredient that iboga is that in like mushrooms,acid, or peyadote those are all psydelliacs. the only one that would be able to last long enuf for the w/ds would be peyadote like i said above i just really have never heard of this and kinda intrested as dumb as tht sounds. for those of u who have ever had a GOOD trip it is kinda spirtual so i can see where that could be good for the mind and body soul when getn ready to detox. but i have also had bad trips where u freak out when ur mind isnt in the rite place beforehand and it sounds lik ethere is no such thing as a for sure trip which this sounds like and could make things alot worse. so idk it def is a intresting topic im going to look into the links that u have up and learn lil more.
this is how they say the process goes after taking it, i gota admit since i am somewhat knowedgleable about psydelliacs i can actuallly wokn for some people and they already started looking into it as a real way to help panama has it and they said were about 2 yrs away from a decesion weather or not to legalize this method.

Ibogaine's actions breaks down into three component parts. The first is a four to six hour period emulating dreaming in which either visual presentations or thoughts dealing with past events are experienced. The second is a cognitive or intellectual period in which those experiences are evaluated and the third is a period of residual stimulation eventually resulting in sleep. It is after the patient awakes that the effects are principally noticed in a lack of a desire in the majority of patients to seek or use the drugs they were abusing. However, it should be noted that the responses to the drug are very individual just as the patient has individual characteristics.
The legalities regarding it in various countries is discussed here.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ibogaine/ibogaine.shtml

The active ingredient is Ibogaine found in the iboga root and some other plants apparently. There are countries that offer a supervised detox using this method. I am not sure which ones.

Like I said before, if it was safe, they would be doing it here for 10s of thousands of dollars.
well from what i read they are looking into startn it here or at least in disscusion about the ggod bad of the drug. they say it will be about two yrs b4 they come up with a judgement
Thank you--everyone--for your insightful comments about ibogaine.

For years now, I have been trying to keep an eye on ibogaine treatment, but info has been hard to find.  This does not mean that it is ineffective, however.  When you say that, if it was safe, they would be doing it in the US for tens of thousands of dollars, I think that is entirely incorrect.

Think about it.  How much money does the government make each year off of addiction?  Billions and billions of dollars.  How about all the methadone clinics and detox centers and rehab facilities?  The list goes on and on and on.  I'm not saying that ibogaine is truly a cure for addiction, but it is obvious that many parties have a vested interest in keeping addiction alive and well for their own financial gain.

Check out this article from ezinearticles.com:

http://www.ezinearticles.com/?Ibogaine-Drug-Addiction-Treatment:-Breaking-Through-to-the-Core&id=132130

I copied a couple excerpts from this article that address the financial considerations of addiction in the U.S. today:

“Clearly, in a world devastated by addictions to alcohol, cocaine, heroin, amphetamines, methadone, and nicotine, with all the accompanying death, disease and crime, in a society where dysfunctional behavior is the rule rather than the exception, in a humanity hungering to reconnect with God, ibogaine has profound implications....

"The opposing forces to widespread treatment with ibogaine are both economic and political....

"The political opposition to the legalization and manufacture of ibogaine is all pervasive and deeply rooted. A drug which is a true cure for addiction threatens vested economic interests in the underground world of international drug cartels and also in the aboveground economy....

"Addiction, like cancer, is a multi-billion dollar industry. In addition, giving any sort of legal status to a psychoactive drug goes against long standing cultural taboos....”

I might add that taking LSD every few days will dramatically cut down your opiate use also .......  would I recommend it? No!
i actually read a lot about the iboga and it is nothn like lsc or evn mushrooms as i first thought as well and they are pracrcing it in many other places and hevn very good success its not a miracle drug but like anythng else it could be a tool to use against these dieases. i have aopen mind and thnk that this mite be helpful but i can understand how alot of people would not.
i know a couple of people who have tried ib. i will see if they will come here and talk about it
Well - I did do the stupid stuff....it was after my lsd/peyote days - - the ibogaine was much more like MDA than anything else that I can think of ..... Now - I wasnt looking for it to cure an opiate addiction - wasnt addicted to an opiate then!.... so I cant have an opinion on that specifically ..... its not nearly the type of hallucigenic that lsd is .... but I dont see any miracle cure being derived from it.
There are organized trips run from New York City to South America for those wishing to undergo the ibogaine experience.... cant remember the guys name - David P/something? (check out the Burning Man place for specifics)   - - costs around 1500-2000$ and lasts about 4 days. 2 of these days are spent doing the ritual with shaman - be prepared for tobacco smoke and firewater rum - - and cold mountain lakewater .............. also thin air and altitude. Dont expect it to be anything like rapid detox!
it sounds like the people searching this supposed wonder drug are just looking for the easy way out.i dont blame you,i would also go for it but the comments i've been reading are insane,i would not go near this drug with a 10 foot tounge.i know that for me,tapering is the best choice although not easy by any means.it would be to dangerous for me to go cold turkey because of medical reasons.like theeagle said maybe taking LSD for a couple days may cut down on your opiate use but i dont think that would be the best of ideas,and if you did find this drug you just might end up liking it.there's no easy way out,you've got to want it
I believe the guys name is Pincner - something like that..... Daniel or David -  And there is no real danger that you could end up liking the stuff. Its not that kind of thing. More like datura or jimsonweed - that kind of stuff. Dont waste your time on it. I have to agree with steveo - - you have to want it - no "get out of jail free" cards are available for this one.
what can i searh to fing out what site would this be on that i can learn about this oincher guy?
Similar to this , the US goverment did experiments and a film about detoxing and curing alcoholicswith LSD in the 1950's. It appears to have worked for some but must have had some baleful results in other cases because they abandoned the trials. There are no miracle cures for addiction. There are no drug solutions to drug addiction. Detox is only the first step.
I've taken it, it worked for a 20 year alcohol addiction, and really helped with shame and self perception.
I've given it, and within 45 minutes the opiate w/d sx slip away. It's a great thing to see, color come back, skin get warm, visibly relax.
Most providers will want you to be on a short acting opiate for a bit before jumping off with ibo, because sub and methadone are so long acting. Ibo can do it w/ sub and meth, it just takes longer and uses more medicine. A heroin habit, though, boom. 3 days and done in most of the treatments. You want to have a week or two off of your life after to integrate the experience. It is huge, you are like a baby, tabula rasa, get to rewrite so much and it takes time.
Pygmies have been taking it for THOUSANDS of years in very large doses. So it's dangerous? Tell the pygmies. If westerners take certain precautions, it's safe.
It changed my life for the better, I am continually evolving. Hi all, I was actually trying for info on lamictal and found this. :)
I took iboga and it was the worst experience of my life. I hated it..I had so many hallucinations, I got crazy. Am back on suboxone now. I paid a lot of money for this treatment to no avail, I still had it in the back of mind to crave. Its only about getting the withdrawals out but many OTC meds can do that. I thought I was going to die no joke. Please people don't risk your lives with this.
Iboga is totally safe when used correctly. The problem is too many people are trying to use it without knowing how to use it properly. There are tribes in central West Africa who have been using this plants safetly for over a millenia. I have been to Africa and lived with them and eaten Iboga.  The reason it is not being used in the US is because it actually works and drug companies prefer to make more money by keeping people on perscription drugs. And No natural plant can been patented..which equals no money for those who would like to control it.I have taken Iboga and it worked for me and I have witnessed over 100 other people take Iboga and it worked for them too. Make note I am saying Iboga and not Ibogaine. Ibogaine is merly an extraction and it is void of all the healing properties of the plant.
There is a Bwiti Shaman (Iboga guide) from Africa in the west providing safe treatments. Google Bwiti Shaman to learn about the truth of this natural and safe medicine that can not be patent by the US med companies and should not be used by the unexperienced.
I took ibogaine 6 years ago for a methadone/heroin addiction. It worked just like they said it would, within 30-45min the withdrawls were gone. For someone who is READY to quit, it's nothing short of a miracle.But, if you're not ready, don't bother because if you go out and get yourself re-addicted, it's just a waste of money. That being said, the provider you choose makes a big difference! I've know others who, after  I came back and told them about my experience, wanted to get treatment. However, they couldn't afford to go out of the country and opted for an underground home provider here in the states. Initially she thought it had worked, but I don't think the dose was enough because within a short time frame she was sick again. The best places let you stay for at least a week and give you booster doses if you need more(this is especially important for ppl of longer acting opiates like methadone). Also, there's at least one place that I know of that offers a money back guarantee if you're not satisfied with the treatment, or if you relapse within 60 days you can go back for free. They're called http://www.ibogainenow.com The guy that runs the place, Lex Kogan, studied under the person who's done the most ibogaine detoxes in the west. I'd check them out, or ibeginagain.org or the ibogatherapyhouse.com (this is the place I went to). Good luck with your treatment!
another good resource to find ibogaine treatment information is www.*********.com
HI BEreally careful with ibogaine it can be lethal if given in the incorrect dose it is not been approved by the FDA and because it is considered a hallucinogenic it probably wont be
I have heard about the clinics in mexico but even those are controversial....I also beleve
going threw withdrawals is a critical part of getting well you need to know your going to suffer when you play with fire you get burned....withdrawals will burn themslfs into your mind
and you will appreciate your sobriety more have to have fought for it...if its as simple as going to a clinic to get clean theirs not much incentive to not go back to using get hooked again theirs always the friendly clinic to dry you out again....and its not getting clean thats hard ....its staying clean that takes the work and the ibogaine wont do that for you.........Gnarly      
Gnarly, what the **** are you talking about? Addicts are of the most suffering group around. You need to suffer and have it burned into your mind? What the **** is that ****?

Have some compassion dude.
HI.....Im sorry if I sound harsh to you that wasn't my point......I work with addict 6 nights a week
once in a wile we do get those that are looking for a ''get out of jail free card'' and are desperate not to go threw withdrawals the withdrawals typically last around 4 or 5 days and are typically worst in our minds then thew turn out to be to spend 20 grand up at wismmen or 10 grand at an iboganine just to avoid the flu for 4 or 5 days seems foolish to me that money could be better spent getting one on one consoling to avoid relapse... everybody thats new to this thinks the withdrawal is  the hard part....I assure you that the ez part of doing this its staying clean thats the hard part for the addict , addiction just dosent go away because where off of the pills the pills are merely a symptom of a much bigger problem for an addict to remain clean and sober he/she must change the very way we think until that happens relapse is emanate...those that choose a cleaner softer way rarely understand this and often think there cured just because there detoxed nothing could be farther from the truth.. by going threw the withdrawals it may make you think twice b/4 you use again
it still no grantee we have plenty that go threw it and still relapse but I stand by my words that I think it is a critical part of the proses it give people the incentive to seek out aftercare again a critical part of the process I just dont see it if you go with the softer approach ....the im clean and everything is pink and rosy isent the way this works....it takes work to stay clean ..im truly sorry if I offended you  but sometimes the truth is harsh but im out here fighting for you life...OD.ing is a real possibility so is kidney failure and liver damage
If I truly wasn't compassionate I wouldn't be spending 6 nights a week trying to help people get clean you truly need to understand addiction to know there are no magic cures
I wish you all the best on however you decide to get clean just know addiction just dosent just go away this is something your going to have to treat the rest of your life good luck to you and God bless.....Gnarly            
gnarly_1 those words can only come from the mouth of someone who has never experienced opiate withdrawals first hand. To say compare opiate withdrawals with the flu is just ignorant. Yes some of the symptoms may be similar if you have a mild habit but even for the worst flu is not nearly as painful as an opiate withdrawal and you can get relief from otc meds, you can even get rest and sleep. Opiate withdrawal is the most agonizing pain I've ever experienced, for the first few days to a week (depending on the opiate) you'll be in so much pain that you'll want to die, you'll get no rest, no sleep (you can take enough tranquilizers to knock down a horse and it'll make you sleepy but you'll be in so much pain and disconfort that sleeping is not possible), and no confort for even a minute, it's unbearable pain 24/7 and the only thing that will make it better is a fix, after the worst is over you have about a month or longer with symptoms that can be compared to a flu, not to mention the anxiety and cravings! I've been through it hundreds of times so knowing that you will suffer is not so much a deterrent to relapse, I know it doesn't make sense but you just have to live it to understand it. This time I've been on opiates so long without stopping that I just can't get through the damned withdrawal, and believe me I've really tried and really want to, so if something like Ibogaine can help me get it through it then it is well worth the risk. Besides the risk is overrated, more people have died from methadone overdoses that from Ibogaine and there is not one case where Ibogaine has been confirmed to be the cause of death.

In your profession you should know that opiate addiction has the least successful recovery rate than any other drug of abuse, why you think is that? BECAUSE OF THE INTENSE PHYSICAL WITHDRAWALS!! So if you could eliminate that or at least alleviate it the numbers would be much better, don't you think?

Yes, staying clean is very hard but when it comes to opiates getting clean can be just as hard and it's terrifying and it what keeps most of us addicts from even trying so if Ibogaine can elliminate or alleviate the withdrawal syndrome then I think it is a miracle drug (and read carefully, I didn't say cure).

To trully understand addiction you need to live through it. It doesn't matter how much you study it or work with addicts you'll never understand the true monster that addiction is. That's why I don't pay much mind to most people in your profession, only those who've lived through it really understand it. There may be a handful of you guys who are trully caring and compassionate enough to put themselves in our shoes and those can be trully helpful but the mayority of you guys are just plain ignorant.

I'm sure profit is more of an incentive than compassion for doing what you do (and you probably wish you could be doing something 'better'), and even though you'd never admit it I'm also sure that deep down you look down at us addicts.
i find your post very offensive, i am an opiate addict in recovery, so is gnarly, of course its hard and took quite a few times before getting off, lots of folks on here have also done it, you should read some more posts to see that, gnarly has lived through it, hes not spouting from a text book, the same with me, i am sorry if you havent been able to do it yet, but i can assure you, no one is looking down at addicts, we are all addicts here.
maybe you are hurting, but your last remarks are very nasty, and uncalled for.
Save your money.  I did do ibogaine.  It was a complete waste of time and money.  The depression afterwards was HORRIBLE.   I realized there is no easy fix.  One must do the footwork to gain sobriety.
Opiate_Addict--

I have to say this to you~

Gnarly has been there and has experienced the worst of the worst. You may not agree with his philosophy, as he posted it, but it's his opinion.

To imply that what he does is purely for financial gain is making a huge assumption! You don't know the man and you owe him an apology.  He is committed to recovering addicts
or those in process or those thinking about it.  It's his vocation and not his job. His only gain is another's sobriety.

To call him ignorant and prejudiced was uncalled for and just NASTY!
You clearly have no idea what your talking about. Get some clean time, gain a little perspective, and you will see that Gnarly knows what he's talking about as much as any of us, probably more.

Severity of WD is different for every addict, but for a high level opiate user like me, all I used during the detox was clonodine. It can be done. I read your description, said something about an opiate addict looking for hope. Posting cr@p like that isn't really beneficial to that goal buddy.
Bumping this up so Mark will see it...
HI....nice to meet you.....somehow I new when I posted the first post it would find its way back up
into the forum a few times....just for the record I was an opiate addict for for 16 1/2 yrs and an addict of once sort or another 34 yrs of my life....I know all to well what its like withdrawaling from opiates I took it about as far as you can go and spent the last 6 1/2 yrs addicted to methadone.. after detoxing off most every pill out there methadone was hands down the hardest longest detox I ever went threw it was 8 1/2 mo of tapering going in and out of withdrawals along the way then once I kicked I was sick for another 90 days and it took the better part of a yr to finely feel well again ....I come to this sight to try to help others not make the same mistakes I have made with my life I to ''new it all'' and no one was going to tell me otherwise...we could sit here in a pi ssing contest on whats right or wrong about the things I say
but I  assure you they come from the heart.....truth hurts some time....you have had a tuff life if you truly have detoxed hundreds of times as you have stated....the true definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting different results...your current best thinking.....I have said this b/4  and will say it again the pills are not the problem it is the very way an addict thinks and reasons that makes him an addict....until your ready to change that you will continue to ride the merry go round of using getting clean and using again ....I also volunteer my time here freely I fit it in around a 50 to 60 hr work week doing something I really enjoy sales....but the most joy I get in life is helping set someone like you set them selfs free of addiction...im sorry if it comes  out harsh but better that then at your funeral....what your doing now is the same thing I did...slow motion suaside if you dont O/D your slowly chewing away at your kidneys and liver...both slow agonizing deaths...im happy I got a response out out you...mabe it will wake you up to what your doing to your self and those that love you....if I dident care I wouldn't have taken the time to respond but I dont judge people by what they say when there detoxing or in that desperate state right b/4
if you want help to truly get clean you have come to a great place to find help if your looking for someone to candy coat what will kill you you need to find another guy there are many here who have done what your trying to do we have learned what it takes to get clean and more so what it takes to stay that way.....I truly hope you stick around and learn all you can about addiction...once you surrender to it....know your powerless over it the healing can begin I wish you well and look forward to helping you if you will allow you dont have to live this way.....there is life in recovery....God bless.....Gnarly  
Hey I, agree wit ya.
My friend Jen got treated in a hotel in the airport in Mexico City by a guy named Lek Kogan who does his own style of ibogaine dosing during treatments.
She hooked up with him thru Eric Taub, the worlds leading expert on the stuff. Jen been clean now for 6 weeks and she says she don't think nothin bout H no more. She found those guys on the web ibogaine again.
IDK about Ibogaine workin, but I'm willin 2 try. Think about dis. If it did work in the US den they (the Gov) wud lose tens of thousands of dollars, bcuz every1 wud try it and possibly b cured. It it's true what der sayin about Ibogaine heroin addicts and ppd on methodone wud stop usin afta dey try Ibogaine. Programs wud lose alot of their patients.
  So what you are saying (to you who started the thread, I believe) is that the united states FDA knows immediately what is safe and what is not safe (if it is even possible to break it down into such simple terms?)  Did you know that there has been a long and careful process of research currently being undertaken on Ibogaine for everything from Addiction, PTSD to Alzheimers, with very positive preliminary results?  
  The fact that Ibogaine and Ibogaine research is essentially banned in the United States is simply due to politics. It has nothing to do with "if it were safe" or not. It is indeed "safe" relative to most any other medicine prescribed for those purposes in clinical settings.  But the important thing with Iboga and it's alkaloids is that is given in a clinical setting in the presence of caretakers and even a therapist to help the patient in his/her very emotional psychological journey. IT IS NOT LIKE PEYOTE OR "SHROOMS" OR "LSD" or anything like that AT ALL. It works on so many levels and is so most definitely NOT possibly recreational in nature.  I recommend further empirical and anecdotal research. You will be pleasantly surprised.  There's serious academic field research being done in the carribean (earlier, in St. Kitts) and Mexico, at the University of Guadalajara and UNAM and various other universities using data from the clinics in those areas.  I suggest you look into that. Or you know what? to make it easier on you, check out the work MAPS is doing. It's multidisciplinary and you will find it very legit.  The important thing is to learn the distinction between it and other psychoactive plants.   There's something special about Ibogaine, and let me tell you- it's not special for being recreational or for kicks. It's serious stuff, and has potentially has some serious benefits, provided it is administered in the right environment from the qualified people. It will definitely be a while before it is available in the United States as an Addiction, PTSD, etc treatment. There is a lot of resistance from the powers that be who love the status quo and "big pharma," but that's America and as Americans we like to be sure something is going to work before we delve into it.  Unfortunately, many will have to suffer and even die before further research and clinical trials are allowed in the U.S.
Hi Drew,

My boyfriend is having the same problem as described, one month after doing Iboga, he is really depressed and confused. How did it take for you to feel no depressed anymore? I am really worried about him.

Hi Drew,

Hi there, this is a year old thread. Post a Question at the top of the forum and you will get more support. I used subs instead of iboga, but the fact is, recovery only begins after detox. He needs to get into counseling and 12 step meetings to deal with why he used. Depression seems to be on top of the list. At some point I realized, it's not the drugs causing the problems, it's problems are causing drug use.
I will, thanks for getting back to me thought!
Legal in canada to obtain, about the only useful thing here in pharmaceuticals. I did $2000 and there was no trip, nausea, I was walking around, smoking, etc. My head felt weird and i was left with a broken heart and empty wallet! A treatment facility, may work, cause who knows if it was what they said it was. Next day i felt hit by a truck! I wish i would have waited 3 days, but straight back on methadone. And no the drug manufacturers cannot make a patent out of something found in nature and supposedly one time fix, as they wont find cure to cancer. Methadone, Subs, opiates are multi-billion $$$$$$$$ industry! And they do not care about YOU or I! I know this post is old but i hope this reaches you and helps!
Ibogain is illegal in the US cause big pharmaceutical companies can not profit from it ! .. Ibogain worked wonders for me , not just thru the pain but also spirtually somehow . Within a week I was back to my old self with little to no withdrawlas . I was addicted to roxy's for 5 years . Now I have a better attitude n positive outlook on life . From my experience , ibogain saved my life . I would say it is a quick cure for addiction . It's not like doctors giving you one drug after another to quit your addiction . " here you go, take subs " even worse withdrawals . " here you go, take methadone "  They just keep giving you drug-for--a drug so they can fill their pockets !
I realize this is a very old post and I am so hopeful that the original poster was able to get the help they were seeking.

I'm writing now simply because I have experience with Ibogaine and wanted everyone who sees this to know that I am willing to share that experience to help them make the decision if it is for them.

Spoiler alert :)  Ibogaine saved my life. If you would like more information about my experience or would like to talk to my wife (very much NOT an addict) as to her experience in getting me help, send us an email at ***@****. Nic