Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Does Subutex Block Opiates

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Does Subutex Block Opiates

Yes I've been on suboxone for about 6 months but my doctor took me off and put me on subutex.
I would like to know if it blocks opiates, I have to go and get injections of probably fetynal for getting
my wisdom teeth taken, and then prescribed fetynal or oxy-contin after the operation.

Thank You
You must talk to your doctor about this. It is very easy to overdose with the subutex.  Also I have never heard of anyone getting Fetynal or Oxy for oral surgery. Wow !    Please talk to both your Sub doctor and the oral surgeon.
I have to say I agree with marys post talk to your sub doctor.Both of the meds you mentioned all awful strong for after oral sugery for wisdom theeth . I have never heard of a dentist giving either .
I would like to know if it is going to block it thats all.
The reason I am being prescribed these medicines for my pain is because i have an extremely high metabolism and I am an addict i have a obscenely high tolerance i was prescribed percodan 4 10mg every 3-5 hours as needed and it had no effect my doctor knows i had a drug problem thats why i have to go for injections he is not giving me them to have. Also there is acetaminophen  in percs, vics, and most of the casually lower pain medication, and i have hepatitis c so he wants no acetaminophen in my system because   he would like as little liver damage as possible. By the way its not always the drug its the dose of the drug.
when are you planing on going of the sub
Im on the subutex now i was on suboxone for a while im ON the subutex right now i have to go for my surgery in like 2 weeks but i take 5 subutex 8 mgs i would like to know if the subutex BLOCKS opiate intake i would like to know by injection because thats how im going to be taking it the reason im on a higher dose then most is because i have fast metabolism and i was taking 300 mgs of methadone daily.

I just want the subutex is going to block the opioid intake such as fetynal or oxy-contin  
Buprenorphine is the active ingredient in Suboxone, Subutex, and Buprenex. Suboxone has a added ingredient called Naloxone. This was added to prevent abuse, and the Naloxone in Suboxone will allegedly cause immediate withdrawal if the Suboxone is injected or possibly snorted. Naloxone has also been known to induce withdrawal (wd) symptoms when some people are initially starting treatment, therefore some Drs will initially induct patients with Subutex which is just Buprenorphine without any additives.
you are going  to have to stop the subutex  yes it blocks that is how it works ,thats why i asked you when you were planning to stop the sub... talk to your sub doctor ask him how many days before your sugery are you going to have to stop the subtex
this is what I could find.............

You will still be able to be treated for pain with elective dental or surgical procedures. Your doctors should speak with each other about the plan. They will likely stop your Buprenorphine medication, at least 36 hours before the procedure, and then when you are ready to go back on Buprenorphine you will need to be re-induced, which means stopping your pain medicine, experiencing mild withdrawal (for a very short time) and restarting your Buprenorphine.
Fentanyl and oxycontin for your wisdom teeth. I think that is a bit much..
whos ur dentist/LOLOL
man..i'd like the name and number to your dentist LOL..j/k yes subutex blocks opiates. u wont feel the oxy or phentynl..i know this cuz my ******* snorted an oxy while on subutex and i wasted $50 cuz of it......
are subutex and suboxone identical...i thought suboxone was the one with the naloxone in it....it is not recommended to  take either while on meds like oxy...
googled it:

Subutex contains only buprenorphine hydrochloride. This formulation was developed as the initial product. The second medication, Suboxone contains an additional ingredient called naloxone to guard against misuse.

Subutex is given during the first few days of treatment, while Suboxone is used during the maintenance phase of treatment.

This does not make sense come to think of it...why would your doc take you off off suboxone and back on subutex if you are an addict?  My friend received subutex for 5 days during rehab then they switched her to suboxone...you need to be careful or you can find yourself or someone else will find you after an overdose...please be careful with whatever it is you are doing...and be sure your doctor knows about all of this
and received no pain meds, was told to take Motrin, I didnt even need that. I did have a tooth removed by an oral surgeoun, and he had to shave the bone, I was offered Percocet and motrin. Being honest, but addicted to percs, I told him "no, I have some from my Dr." LOL I am such a contradiction. The pain of a bone that is cut through is HORRIBLE, that sucker hurt for a week, the percocet from my Dr did NOTHING. Good luck.
yes!  lets accuse people asking for legit information of looking for a fix while getting wisdom teeth out...unreal!!
THEY ARE BOTH BLOCKERS.
suboxone and subutex are the same, only suboxone has naloxone in it, subutex does not. they would both block any opiate taken depending on your dose of sub though.
regardless, i am sure you will have to be off either one for this procedure, although you will have to discuss this with your oral surgeon and suboxone doctor and make sure you do, it is possible you could end up really ill if this is not handled properly...  are you getting general or local anesthesia? i actually ended up in the hospital 2 weeks AFTER my wisdom teeth were removed...its not a simple procedure as everyone thinks...so instead of accusing someone of "looking for a fix"...why not find out and ask questions before SLAMMING someone.  i WISH my oral surgeon had given me something like this for the pain, and yes it was way before my addiction was even a thought...my oral surgeon went on vacation 6 days after , it was hell and not as simple as getting as tooth pulled!!
MY 17 YEAR OLD SON WAS GIVEN OXYCONTIN AFTER HIS WISDOM TOOTH SURGERY...his and mine were both done under general anesthesia with a hammer and in pieces...NOT A SIMPLE EXTRACTION!
I was given oxy after my wisdom tooth operation. they were severly impacted. so it does happen..

You will have to stop the Sub way before your surgery. Fentynal may be able to "break through" the sub but not until 5 days or so after you last Sub dose.
I can't believe your doc didn't tell you and you are asking here?
Listen I've been clean for quite a while for everyone who has the idea that I am trying to get information so i can get high please do not even bother responding. I have been getting high since I've been 11 and started injecting opiates before 12 so I probably spilled more drugs then most of the people posting here used. I have an extremely high tolerance and an excessively fast metabolism. Also for your question "If I am an addict why would your doctor take you off of suboxone and put you on subutex" and the answer to that question is because I have been having a reaction to Narcon aka Naloxone it is estimated that about 2% out of everyone taking suboxone has a bad reaction to Narcon. It was not my choice to be put on Subutex, Most of the drug stores where i live do not carry it and my doctor is a jackass and told me that i have to wait until a pharmacy gets it in so i had to hunt down a pharmacy that had it. Living in the coal region that is not easy especially when you drive hours and hours out of town just for the appointment and then they tell you the wait is going to be over 2 hours. Also I am currently taking 5 8mg subutex i was taking 8 because i was using 300mgs of Methadone, or 30 bags a day. So if your asking why I am taking fetynal and oxy its because i have a high tolerance and a fast metabolism and also Vicadin and Percocet have Acetaminophen in it which when you have hepatitis C is NOT good fetynal and oxy do not for the most part oxy doesn't unless your taking roxicet or ms contin or another generic form of oxy for most people who are usually on welfare and don't have their own health insurance plan . Which is not me I'm covered by GHP ( Geisinger Health Plan ) I really don't care what your opinion is on my current situation or life. Also my dentist is not a pharmacist he doesn't know if it will block, and my Suboxone//Subutex doctor doesn't know either because he has the right to prescribe suboxone//subutex//methadone but didn't take the test you can get a license but the test is only once every 2 or 4 years I'm not exactly sure, thats why I'm on here asking.

Thank You
And ALSO I don't want answers that you pealed directly from the internet such as borntoriff  "Buprenorphine is the active ingredient in Suboxone, Subutex, and Buprenex. Suboxone has a added ingredient called Naloxone. This was added to prevent abuse, and the Naloxone in Suboxone will allegedly cause immediate withdrawal if the Suboxone is injected or possibly snorted. Naloxone has also been known to induce withdrawal (wd) symptoms when some people are initially starting treatment, therefore some Drs will initially induct patients with Subutex which is just Buprenorphine without any additives."
I highly appreciate your help but i am not looking for the definition of it i know the ingredients however i don't know if Subutex blocks it like Suboxone it would make sense that it didn't since how much Naloxone is appreciated for blocking opioid intake but i don't necessarily know if thats the case.
Also i didn't ask in the post for you to give me your advice on topics that I'm not concerned of.  
ALL I WANT IS THE ANSWER does Subutex BLOCK opiates I know suboxone does
I KNOW the ingredients I KNOW that everyone thinks fetynal is a strong drug but if i took 1micro milligram of fetynal i would do nothing so you don't particularly know the doses of what i am taking to begin with so just ANSWER the question if your going to answer.
Yes Subutex blocks opiates as well. Its because of the partial agonist quality. It attaches to the receptors so tight that it prevents others opiates from getting through. It would be wise to taper off the Sub a week or two before the surgery so that you get adequate pain relief.
In fact I know someone who used to post here that had a emergency surgery, she was taking 32mgs of Sub and was given IV meds at the hospital and nothing could get through, she was miserable.
WOW-- i know nothing about sub...But i will say this...I had a terrible abcess (abscess) , and under a already crowned root canal..So i did what was called a retreat...My tolerence was already high from too much lortab...i did not tell my doc about that!  he persribed me tylox, oxycodone, and it did not touch the pain...my face was so swollen, and infection had set in, then i had a dry socket..OMG the pain....He then perscribed me diluded s/p?  that was the first time i had ever taken that, the pain finally went away..i know it was my fault because of tolerence..BUT to me tooth pain is the worst.....
SO i hope you get answers here , about the sub,i know nothing about..But wanted to tell you i know how bad tooth pain can be..hope all goes well
r2r
yes, it does block. the naloxone in suboxone is only there to prevent misuse by IV addicts/abusers, that is naloxones only purpose...buprenorphine is the blocker, so to speak ..
you would have to be off either one before your procedure...good luck!!
Usually Subutex is given first, then the Suboxone for maintenance and further treatment.  There is no Naloxone in Subutex.  Naloxone is an opioid antagonist and it works by blocking (or competing) with the receptor sites the opioid would use.  Both Subutex and Suboxone are narcotics in the Schedule III Class I believe, which are considered to be less addictive than the drugs in the Schedule II Class, like oxycontin, fentanyl, etc.  Naloxone is in Suboxone, as someone said, to prevent abuse by I.V. use.  It is the drug that someone is given when they are taken to the emergency department and suspected of O.D.ing on something because after injection with it, it reverses the effects of the narcotic (the worst problem being respiratory depression) within 2 minutes of it's administration.  That's all I know about these drugs off the top of my head.  Hope this helps.  
are 2 different things. Also, abcesse's are treated with antibiotics BEFORE any surgery is done. Dentists do not prescribe Fenatnyl or oxycontin for a straight forward removal of wisdom teeth.  They cut the tooth in 4 sections and remove them, an extraction. Impaction may bemore invasive, and involve more pain. Also, nobody said that tooth pain is not bad, but once the teeth aree removed (barring any complications, such as dry socket) and as long as the bone in the jaw was not cut, there should be very little pain. There is also a myth that rtoot canals hurt, they hurt BEFORE teh nerve is removed, after that the tooth is DEAD, the nerve is gone which is the pain source.
you are not put under general anesthesia. You are SEDATED with soemthing like Valium and Vercet sometimes with nitrous oxide before. You will be sedated, and not remember anything.  General anesthesia is MUCH different.
with root canals. Sometimes teeth are filled and an infection builds up under a filling, pain meds are useless UNLESS combined with an antibiotic, and removal of teh filling or crown so the tooth can drain. Ok I am done
and instead focus upon your so called substance abuse problem, the answer to your question is simply NO. Subutex and Suboxone are composed of the same chemical make-up: Buprenorphine. Beyond that, Suboxone contains the chemical Naloxone which causes the blocking effect to which you refer. I have taken Subutex on top of Methadone and other opiates, to which it did not cause any blocking effect nor any antagonist reaction. You may want to lower your dosage or stop taking Subutex whilst you're on medication for your tooth simply to prevent any kind of overdose. However, I can assume that you know yourself and your limits much better than I or anyone else on this board. Good luck to you, dear.
who are you talking to?? This thread is over a year old
Questionable
obviously they didn't see that .... (whoops someone made a mistake).... why so rude....
suboxone will block opiates.

subutex does NOT block opiates.

they are NOT identical in their chemical make up.
To the moron that just said that Subutex does not block opiates!!  It does, and here is the molecular reason.  Subutex is 10,000 times more potent than morphine!!!  No, you did NOT hear me wrong!!!!  However, b/c of Subutex has a huge molecular ring configuration, it is HUGE compared to your receptors.  Imagine morphine being a regular plug that you put into the wall.  Now imagine that Subutex be a plug with a huge, huge, huge nightlight directly attached to the face.  Now, everybody knows when you plug a nightlight like that into that socket, you can't utilize the other socket b/c the nightlight is covering.  Well, same concept is going on here.  The morphine can't reach the receptors, and thus will FLOAT in space in your brain.  Yes, it will be a complete waste of money!!!!! In fact, when I am taking my subutex, and take those morphine, oxy's or whatever on top of it, I waste it, and I also CRAVE my subutex bigtime.  Now, that *****, b/c subutex will NOT make you high at all!!!! What's the beef anyway????? Sick of the ******* propaganda!!! If I want to get high then it is nobody's business.  I am tired of hearing how dangerous it is.  It is NOT dangerous!!! It is far more dangerous getting the wrong stuff on the street.  The absolute worse thing that will ever happen to anybody for taking an opiate is that they will get chronic constipation.  Now, the worst thing for taking N-SAIDS is all kinds of death related problems.  Worst thing that can happen to you on Acetemitphen is Liver Failure, and death.  Wake up guys, thank the little special interest groups that media and legislative attention, b/c the truth of that matter is THEY DON'T WANT YOUR *** "FEELING GOOD."  It is as simple as that!!!!!!! For every 100,000 peeps that use morphine, one will die of an overdose.  For every 100 peeps that take Nsaids, one will suffer severe complications from longtime use.  They don't want peeps feeling good!  They don't want peeps feeling good!  They don't want YOU feeling good!!! Okay!!!!!!!!!!!!  Opium has been around for 250,000 years to man!  Who the **** do they think they are telling you, you can't have it!!!! It's ********, and a lot of peeps fall right into it thinking that it must be so bad.  Peeps, wake up!!!! It's propaganda, meant to BRAIN WASH you!!!! Period!!! The brainwashing has gotten so pervasive that women, and especially women, are being undertreated in pain managment.  It's a crime!  Can't wait till 2012...when it all goes doomsday, b/c your opiate intake will be the last thing that is on their mind.  As for now, they have an AGENDA!
Both contain buprenorphine which blocks the receptors. They dont block them all but they block enough so the other drugs dont cling to the receptors so the other drugs dont work. The only difference between the two is the naloxine. Hope this helps
I am on 8mg of subutex. I take it in the am. By 4pm I have noticed it only slightly blocks opiates. Everyone's bodies are different though. I get severe migraines and 2 Vicodin are enough to work after 4pm
Sbutex is a painkiller just thought id let you know that too!!!
Never believe anything from snyone off the internet without some form of solid evidence.

The main ingredient in Subutex and Suboxone is buprenorphine which is the main ingredient and is an opiate blocker. The only difference between Subutex and Suboxone is that Suboxone has naloxone in it which sole purpose is to prevent abuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buprenorphine
This thing is sobackdated now is 11032011
This comment is geared towards the dental aspect of the post. I am a DMD, and just wanted to offer some information. Each patient is treated on a case to case basis. There is no stamped plan on any procedure or treatment following said procedure. True, I always follow a set of procedures, but those procedures evolve as it develops. As far as whether or not someone will be "put under" using GA, or more simply heavily sedated during the procedure? That once again all depends on the case and the status of the patient, but they are BOTH a possibility. True, I would rather not have to put someone under GA, but if the patient requires it in order for me to perform the procedure then that method will be used.
As far as post-op or post procedure and prescribing pain medicines go, once again it depends on the patient and the circumstances. Oxycontin, Demerol, Roxycodone, Dalaudid, and stronger narcotics ARE given by DMD's, but for the same reason any other MD would prescribe them. If it's deemed needed. I usually start off with something simple such as a Lortab ( Hydrocodone ) and then to Percocet ( Oxycodone ) and so on and so on. The reason most people would find it odd that a DMD would prescribe some of these stronger narcotics is because they have never found themselves in the situation where the medicine is deemed needed. Not to say that you haven't experienced HORRIBLE discomfort with your situation, but trust me on this one...It can always be far worse. Occasionally, it is far worse with some patients, and that is why certain Rx's are given.
Man some of you people are something else. The question is :is subutex an opiate blocker........it depends on your does, but in my experience it does block like suboxone does. good luck with your surgery and if this person is just asking cause they want a fix, WHO CARES! Some of you sound like a bunch of addicts who wish you could get your hands on some fent. and oxy. damn!
Sorry dude you are almost completely wrong in every statement made. 10000x stronger??? That would kill almost anyone who used even 1mg and they make 8mg tabs?? Pretty dumb, because its only 40x stronger than morphine. You can find that fact anywhere; and that is only in binding affinity, which is how strong it attaches, while intrinsic activity is how strong it's effects are and that is way way way lower than morphine or any full agonist that exists. There are over 6 common narcotics which are not heard of outside of the hospital or ER, one being Sufentanyl, thats even stronger than fentanyl; also fentanyls affinity is WAY STRONGER than subs and will displace the molecule from the ligand binding site. I don't want to be mean, but I wan't you to know the facts.
I took half a morphine 60 and 2 methadone 10mg.how long before i can take my subutex now??
This is a 7 yr old post, click. 'Post a Question' at the top of the forum and start one for you. There are many consideration with sub induction. No set amount of time will be right for all.