Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Does cocaine cause anger problems?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Does cocaine cause anger problems?

Just wondering my BF is using cocaine (crack) and does it 2-3 times a week.  He has become very moody, very anger with me at times.  I am currently preggo, and told him I am leaving if he keeps on and I will and plan to.  he doesn't care, could this be from the cocaine or him just not wanted a child?
Sounds like his attitude is from the drugs. Im willing to bet that when he is getting irritable and mean he is coming down. If you dont know what that means, its when the drug starts to wear off. My finace, ex husband uses crystal meth. He is the same way when he is coming down. Hes an absolute jerk.

You also asked if it was maybe because he didnt want kids, I dont know about that, but I would not put a child in that sort of enviroment. I hope that you are not using because now a days if the doctors suspect drug use they will test your child after its born, and if there are drugs in the babys system, they call social services and take your kid. It can get ugly.

Did you know that he used when you met him? Im just curious because if you did, why in the world would you let yourself get pregnant by someone who uses?
Get out now...Have 4 siblings and a loved one that have used or are using crack...its a dead end situation until he decides to stop; he wont stop b/c youre pregnant or for the baby; it has to be his decision for him.  Not saying u have to write him off but u are in no condition to be around somebody who is actively using; especially crack...the high makes some people violent and when he "crashes" it can make him violent.

kris

one word answer to your question...yes.  take care of yourself and your pregnancy first and foremost.  that is a nasty, nasty drug and until one hits rock bottom -- from what i have seen -- they don't stop and don't get better.  good luck.

No, I don't use drugs.
Crack is VERY bad news.  Here are some comments from www.cocaine.org:

"As a rule of thumb, it is profoundly unwise to take crack-cocaine . . . . The social consequences of heavy cocaine use can be equally unpleasant. Non-recreational users are likely eventually to alienate family and friends. They tend to become isolated and suspicious. Most of their money and time is spent thinking about how to get more of the drug. The compulsion may become utterly obsessive. The illusion of free-will is likely to disappear."

The only good thing I can say about crack is that in short order it beat me up so bad and destroyed so much in my life that I was able to engage in the kind of surrender that I believe is neccesary to recover from addiction.  Like many folks on this forum I suffered from a serious, but secret addiction to the pain killers.  

Once I switched to crack, however, it quickly became obvious that something was SERIOUSLY wrong.  Daily crack users do very little except smoke and seek crack - they soon start to look like death itself.  It may take your boyfriend some time to become a daily user, but if he continues to use it will happen - it's just a function of what stage of addiction he's in.  By the time I first picked up a stem I was "late stage" and, therefore, took off like a FING rocket.  I was a daily user within 2 weeks.  By 2 months later that was ALL I did ALL day (and most of the night) every day.

If he's in early addiction he might go some time before crack consumes and ruins his life.  But if he doesn't stop it will destroy his life, with substantial fallout for those who love and/or depend on him.  There is no such thing as a social crack user.  It's a bit like playing Russian Roulette - you might get shot on the first pull of the trigger or you might have a run of luck.  But if you keep pulling the trigger you will run out of "free shots" sooner or later.  Also like Russian Roulette, there's no warning after your last empty chamber.  By the time you know you're in trouble, it's too late to just quit playing the game.

It took me a 30-Day rehab, a 4.5 month relapse and then a 4-month rehab, before I achieved sustained recovery and "came out the other side," so to speak.  But I'm now on Day-587 of being 100% C&S and Recovery is something I work on everyday.

The only direct advice I can give is that you should be sure you never smoke with him.  As long as you keep yourself (and the baby) safe, his problem will resolve - one way or another.  He will either stop using or he won't.  If he doesn't he will meet one of the three ends of addiction - jails, institutions or death.  Good luck to you and your baby.  I will pray for you.
He believes he is a social crack user and says that he doesn't need it, but I have tracked the money that he has spent.  He spents about $250 - $300.  We'll put it on the high side $1200 - $1300 a month.  He sold his house so he got an $88,000 profit.  He has $50000 let and I am sure that $5000.00 has been spent on drugs, he says no way.  I know what it can do.  It will take your money right away before you know it 100 here 100 there and then it is gone.  I am trying to pay off my bills and he won't help me, but he will buy crack.