Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Does long term opiate addiction cause weight gain?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been doing lots of searching and research on this, so I would lover to hear some similar stories.....I started taking opiates about 3.5 years ago......its gotten bad, i take perks, lortabs, roxys, basically whatever i can get.......i started at about 150 and have always been around this weight, give or take.......i now weight 217!  I do not eat more...if anything i eat less, but sometimes i eat late, i stopped exercising i guess u would say i have become sedentary, no motivation from pills, and i also heard that since the liver is working extra on the toxins than it neglects the metabolism??? I am working on quitting tapering off, possibly suboxone....i have read lots of stories of people gaining weight on opiates, laziness, and dropping it when  getting clean, due to more energy, regaining old life....I hope this is true because it only motivcates me to quit for good......i would love to hear thoughts, stories on this topic.
any help, or stories regarding this would be much appreciated!! Thanks!
Yes for me that also happened lots of weight gain. Since stopping the lrotab have lost 25lbs. go figure
thanks sooo much for your response....i love hearing that others are experiencing the same thing....i could never undedrstand it before, i always thought opiates would cause weight loss, but i guess iots different for everyone, but this theory is making more and more sense to me....this may sound sad to some, but hearing that getting clean will probably help drop the weight gain as well, excites me and motivates me even more......kimrenee, is it like you have more motivation to exerc ise and care more about what u eat, or literally u have not really changed anything, i have read that oncde the liver doesnt have to focus so much on toxins it can go back to focusing more on breaking down fat and helping with your metabolism????? how long have u benmnn clwean, or how long did it take to lose the 25 lbs....i gained mine fast, so im hoping it comes off fast
@gatsybygirl..... I have no scientific proof but only going on self experience on this question.. I used to model and lived that hollywood beverly hills life and was in the best shape of my life. I did a ton of drugs and shut down bars rock and roll style but as soon as I touched an opiate it was game over. I got obsessed with Norco 10/325. I went on a four year binge and got up to 50 pills a day. Fact one.. I ate and ate and ate and didnt care because of the feeling of the pill... Fact two.. the pill most def gives you water weight at the least and puffs your body and face up. I gained 95 pounds with no exercise and just literally staying inside and eating. I went to a 10 day detox rehab and I swear to you ten days after taking my last dose I lost atleast 40 pounds doing NOTHING!! Now I am fired up and on a mission. So in a nutshell my answer is not just yes but hell yes you gain weight on opiates. xoxo
I went through the same thing and I am a man so it is easier for me to drop weight I have lost 8 pounds over the last 2 months.

For me the weight gain occured because even if I wasn't using eating late at night will put weight on you.  I would spend all day feeding my addiction and that night feeding my belly with a huge meal.  I defenitaly think you can lose weight after you come off pain meds but you also have to eat right and get exercise.  You may not gain weight without a healthy diet and exercise but you will likely not lose any.  Don't eat after 600 pm....Good Luck
thank you so much for your response.....it really inspires me to quit  and stay off.......i should want to quit for my health and all, but to be honest I want to get back my old life and body! i have tried lose weight on pills and its super hard....im convinced with diet and exercise and being clean will make it much easier.......thanks and good work....so u lost 40 pounds in 10 days, or did i read that wrong?
In REHAB!! Is that crazy?? All I did was sit in a room for ten days and hear jail stories and when I came out my face was back to normal and I weighed myself and lost 40 pounds!! I am sure if I did research I would find that opiates balote you but mainly for me I loved eating on opiates because I was so into my body for so long it felt good to just let go lol. Direct msg me if you want to talk more personally, I would love to share my stories with you and perhaps help you. Everything is going to be okay I promise. Look forward to hearing from you. xoxo
Yes absolutley, I gained 65 pounds due to opiates and not exercising. I didn't eat more but the opiates slowed my metabolism down to a crawl. Since I quit 1 year ago I have lost 70 pounds and I am in better shape then before my accident. Albeit it wasn't just quitin-oxys I went back to the gym and worked my butt off (literally)..
I lost weight- I looked skeletal.  When I am on that crap I just can't eat.  I ve put on about 5 pounds since I quit.

During the time I was using the meds my doctor keep close tabs on my weight and had me drink supplements.
I think it affects each person differently
Thanks for sharing guys....it really helps.......so quitinoxys-does opiates slow your metabolism?
For me OH YES
for me too, it only makes sense....this justreally excites me to quit and I feel that knowing i will drop wait once i get to the other side will make it easier for me to get there
Just remember you still need to eat right and exercise after awhile your body will get back to normal.
In my experience absolutely.I've been clean almost2months lost 18
Lbs. So far
nice the more of these stories i heaqr, the more inspired i am to quit the pills and drop the weighjt that came with it....i will keep track of it on my profile
In my experience it does cause weight gain. In the past year and a half (been taking opiates for over 10 years, but recently I got out of control) I have gained about 25 pounds. Mostly because I wasn't eating during the day because heaven forbid I actually eat something and possibly interfere with the high I was chasing that I wasn't getting anymore. Then when night time rolled around I was starving and then would pig out. When you are really hungry it seems like it takes to long to cook something so I would run and get fast food. I am beginning a taper process as well, and included in that I am trying to make myself eat breakfast every day now.
well, i never gained wait as ididn't eat as muchor often...BUT

I did lose abuot 20 pounds during detox...that was kinda coool and maybe one more insentive to stop?
how long did you detox last?
Question asked for this.
once it took me two weeks to get back to eating...
Late commer...just wanted to post...

This was a really good thread I thought. I was trying to find out if opiates slowed metabolism. I had been taking hydrocodone for about three years daily. It took it's toll on many aspects of my life. Everyday, my waking thought was pills, hour or so later...more pills...so on and so forth throughout EVERY day! I was spending 600-1100 dollars a month on pills and the process in which I was aquiring them. I got out of shape, behind financially, became an emotional zombie, always irritable, body bloted and weak...then it got bad. I lost my family...the people I loved more than life itself. That was my brick wall. I quit cold turkey...it was horrible at first. The first week is seemingly unbearable...it will definately test your willingness to quit. After that, I began coming back. Waking up with no pains and stiffness, able to get immediately out of bed and start my day. I'm losing weight, my finances are back under control, I have real emotions based on real circumstances again, and I got my family back! If anyone is struggling with opiates, especially if they are not prescribed, I employ you to rid your life of this toxin, so you may enjoy what you have left. One week, it's hell, but at the point I was at, three months of detox would have been well worth it. Thanks for reading...good luck...God Bless!
I actually lost a ton of weight because we all know that food is an opiate high inhibitor. I would take pills when I woke up, have a small breakfast or sometimes skip it, have a small lunch (NEVER past 1 p.m.) then go home, get high again and eat whatever I had. On top of the fact I am an avid runner, i.e., my body was not obtaining the calories I needed, I became grotesque looking. I'm embarrassed to see pictures of myself a couple of years ago, I looked like a waifer thin supermodel...BUT I AM A MAN!
Yep...Me too - I got up to the heaviest I'd been in my life during my last (final) run on Norco. Just like everyone else has said - I'd just sit around, no motivation to exercise or do much else. I didn't want to eat before I took my pills (didn't want anything to lessen the high), so I'd have my FIRST meal of the day around 4 in the afternoon, and would eat constantly until I went to bed.
I have been steadily gaining weight without eating much and couldn't  figure out why!  I am the heaviest I have ever been (even during pregnancy)
So nice to have all this information now.  I have lost about 5 lbs so far, and am starting on my 13th day clean today.  
So happy to hear this!!  Just one more reason to stay clean...who knew?
Wow this sounds exactly like me! I been taking roxy 30mg everyday for about a year now.. And I was 130 pounds and now I'm 175!! It's absolutely horrible!!! I barely eat but when I do I eat like crazy and late at night! I also moved into my own place so I'm eating so much take out and rarely eat a nice home cooked meal-- I no longer use to get high but just to feel normal and I no longer get that happiness or boost of energy.. I'm actually feelings very depressed seeing how much my life has changed from doing these, I sleep so much I quit my job I don't excercise and I look like a cow!! This is not me!!! I'm struggling with this drug when I'm on it I think about how bad I want to quit but the minute I wake up in the morning I have to have one -- it's sickening.. I'm so lost and confused on how to do this the rigt way and least painful...:( stay strong ... Your not the only one out there !!
What a great thread. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I naturally have a very slow metabolism (on useless meds for this), but adding to that I have had two major chronic pain conditions in my lifetime which introduced me to narcotics (at 16). I think I definitely have a dependancy.. For sure as I take codeine more days than not. For pain management but also to deal with depression. I really wish all the ineffective anti-depressants worked half as well as narcotics. I feel so positive, motivated, and I'm very productive! This builds on my self-esteem, however negative it may be for my body. I have suffered with unrelenting migraine on & off for 24yrs so I really keep close tabs on my usage. I can't build up too much of a tolerance or else I will be screwed when that migraine kicks in. I can get control over my migraine with 2-3 Tylenol 3's (60-90mg of codeine). Here in Canada we can buy Tylenol 1's OTC which I am grateful for because drs often underprescribe pain meds... And it can be hell. On the downside I can buy them for recreational use and it's probably killing my liver and totally messing up my metabolism. I have to take about 8 T1's to get the same pain relief or high as 2 T's. All that aceteminophen is toxic to my body and I'm sure it's also responsible for the 70 or so pounds Ive gained over the years. I eat very little for a big person (245lbs), and I am blowing up. I usually eat ine meal per day, and have forgotten to eat altogether. I'm with the testimonials and research, and the testimonials. These drugs definitely cause weight gain. I'm glad I'm not crazy, becausesomething just wasn't adding up. I must find a way to manage my depression and migraines without the habitual use of narcotics. It will be hard because they literally saved my life in many respects. Good luck and good health to everyone here. Thanks for sharing your non-judgementalcexperiences.
So I have been moderately abusing Oxycontin and Oxycodone for about five years. I am proud to say I'm three months clean and don't have the slightest urge to use. I had been snorting Oxycontin 40's until the manufacturer made that impossible, then switched to Oxycodone 40's.

I have been fit all my life but I gained about 60lbs. while using for the last half-decade (not to mention spending about $200 a month). However, as I mentioned earlier, I was moderately abusing the drugs; snorting only about ten pills per month (sometimes only five). Seems almost trivial, but my tolerance never really subsided during my extended abuse, so I never found the need to purchase more (thank god).

I've been working out and eating right during the entire experience, but I was gaining weight like crazy. I couldn't put my finger on it because I always assumed that the opiates would cause me to lose weight. Nevertheless, I kept using and kept on gaining. My parents (who didn't know about the abuse) always said like I wasn't fat, but just swollen; like I had been retaining water.

I've come to learn that there are a lot of folks that use opiates who suffer from chronic constipation and swelling of the face, limbs, extremities and abdomen (my main problem). I'm wondering if anyone has gone through the same hell? I wouldn't call myself so vein as to obsess over this change in my body, but I'm only 29 and I'm getting married in a few months; I want to look my best (and feel my best, for that matter).

I've read that doing a cleanse with a stimulant laxative, plenty of fluids and exercise will really attack the weight and swelling. Has anyone else been through this? Regardless, any feedback or input to this dilemma would be more than appreciated.

Thoughts?
Ive been taking Vicodin 10/325 for three years, about 8 a day. I gained 35 pounds and that was after Gastric bypass surgery. so I know it wadnt from eating, it was the pills and also, I became a heavy drinker due to the pills. I could drink forever and never get drunk. Im on day 4 of getting off them cold turkey. Its been hell, anxiety so bad cant sleep, cant eat, its slowly getting better. So yes They do make u gain weight. My Doc also told me they do. Its only been 4 days and im already down five pounds. Im sure thats from not having an appetite. It would be so easy for me to take a pill right now just to feel normal. It ***** so bad.
Yes it does. Ive been on 10/325 Vicodin for three years and gained 35 pounds. My Doc told me it was the pills. They slow yor matabolism and paralyze your intestines. Im on day four of being off them and It is hell. Cant wait to feel normal.