Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Does medical marijuana really work for pain?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Me again...My friend has been at me and at me to smoke pot for the pain in my back. I have had surgery 3 months ago.  I have always found pot to make me sleepy. But she tells me there are different types of medicinal marijuana for pain, to help sleep, help with appetites and such,  
I have no clue.  Anyone here know of this?  Also does pot really work for pain?  Everytime I have smoked it I usually just fall asleep after.  I wake up in about a half hour to an hour, rested,  but,  really don't know if its worked or not. As I still take 5mgs of percocet 4 times aday.
Would I have to stop the percocets for a full few days and just smoke the pot to see if it works?
If anyone has any information on this I would love to hear from all.
Thanks again
Awakened
This is something you should discuss with your doctor........he/she would be able to give you the low down of the pros and cons........
Your're absolutly right, just not sure on how to approach the subject with her.  Do I print off a bunch of information that I have just started to read. There is so much info out there on it, to give to her or just ask her to look it up and ask what she thinks.
I really wouldn't know anyway what to print off I have only just began to look into it.
Thanks though for your input I will try to disscuss it with her and post what happens.
Awakened
Its not really that good for chronic pain. More so for appetites that are down from chemo and stuff like that. Sometimes effective as an adjunct with other pain meds. Slim possibilty that it could even make the pain more pronounced - depending upon how you have historically reacted to it.
Hey there, my girl friend was telling me that there was different types of marijuana for different purposes. The pot I have smoked has always put me to sleep.  Even if its for half an hour, don't know why, maybe its a mind thing. I get high, feel all warm and fuzzy and think hey its time for a little nap. And thats something I don't want to happen all the time.
But she's telling me that you can get either stronger or a weaker level of thc depending on your symptoms for what the marijuana is for.
And your right pot smoking has never been for me...but hey, if it works, then I would choose to smoke a weaker form of the plant so I wouldn't feel sleepy and to help ease my pain and get completly off of all pain meds it would be awsome.
I have only just today started looking into the medical aspects of pot. So I am looking for any and all forms of information. If you would be willing to share that would be great. And when I see my doctor next month I am going to ask her about it as well see what she thinks of it like dominosara suggested.
Thanks for the well wishes and good luck on your journey as well.
Awakened
xxoo
Sometimes when I smoke pot it has the opposite effect on me causing my joints and muscles to ache BAD.  I don't know what it is but I get this reaction I would say 2 out of every 5 times I smoke it.  I don't think it's good for pain and will just weigh you mentally.  I don't believe pot is a "drug" but more like a substance such as alcohol.  Of course it can be addicitve but for the most part people can use it without getting "hooked".  However chronic use slows you down mentally and causes depression, imo.  I smoked it for years daily and when I quit a whole new world opened up.