Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Does methadone block oxycodone?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Does methadone block oxycodone?

I have a friend who is prescribed methadone and 5mg oxycodone. And I always thought methadone was a opioid blocker. So wouldn't that bock the oxycodone??
No, it doesn't block opiates.
It could kill ya! Very dangerous deadly mixture! Not a good combination, in fact its quite dumb! Penelope
holy ****...whose your friends dr.?  lol.  just kidding...we addicts have to have a sense of humor ya know??!!
Common misconception....methadone isnt an antagonist - it doesnt block opiates all the way and it is not like narcane - a total antagonist - you can add, or mix and match for a (deadly) high....the sub is much more of an antagonist although it has properties of each. And with sub you may take other opoids, but the brain receptors will be almost shut down for reception of the opiate dose and response....and you certainly wont get your moneys worth if you try for a buzz while taking the sub. From my methadone experience I think your friend is better off with the combination rather than raising the methadone dose....and the Doc knows what he is doing with the combo - good luck to you
15 years on methadone for pain. It stopped working and  the amount of other pain meds I need to take is crazy. I can take my 160 mg of methadone plus 120mg of morphine and get no extra pain relief, Its crazy, stay off the Methadone, its really bad and stops working long term. Good pain docs know they have to change the meds after 6 months. But its a hard work and they (the docs) dont like the extra work. Just like they dont like calling you on the phone, Im ready to go to mexico and pay a doctor there to take care of me!

im a 43 year old on 350mgs of methadone 160mgs am 90 noon @ 100 at 6 pm but i have a diabetic type stubborn anti biotic infection. im dying in pain,@ w/ the stigma attached to methadone ive learned that mds hate the people on it. ive had severe chronic back pain from 7 failed lamenectomys. what can i ask for. they gave 6mgs of diluadid iv @ was useless. demorol is the only thing that helps but er refused to give it. im really on the ropes@ should be hospilaziled but need advise.
Avatar n tn
Having been on methadone [now on 5mgs,never higher than  60mgs],for 25 years, I am taking 5/325 of Oxycodone. my pain management Dr wont give a higher dose, wants to do a nerve block.Tell your friend to get off the methadone if he can. Drs don,t take you seriously when your on methadone unless they prescribe it.
Avatar n tn
i had a pain management Dr refuse to give me pain meds because I am on 5mgs of methadone. try a different ER and dont say your on meth.
its a blocker 1 or the other. Methadone for pain is all they need..as far as a high it will be a nod then death will follow.