Does methadone make u gain weight
I have heard from many people that methadone makes you gain weight.  the doctor at the clininc and my psychiatrist and my primary care doctor all insit that it doesnt... they say it makes you crave sugar and most people gain the weight because they werent eating right before they started the program, and the done makes you crave sugar.  I need an answer from someone who is actually in the program.  I dont want to hear he said she saids... i need the truth.  I spent 600 dollars on a personal trainer last month and lost 15 pounds and 6% body fat... i dont want that to come back.  HELP
-Mara
NOOOOO....meth mouth is from crystal methamphetamine! If you dont know for sure , dont say it!!!
HEAR ME NOW! IM ONLY ON 25 MG OF METHADONE AND HAVE BALOONED UP TO 200LBS! I WORKOUT LIKE A FREAK AND I EAT BOILED EGGS FOR LUNCH AND A SALAD FOR DINNER AND AM A GIRL AND AM FAT! MY STOMACH IS HUGE IVE NOW GOT A HUGE *** FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE! MEHTADONE IS EVIL AND HARD TO GET OFF OF!! DONT DO IT! EVERYONE AT MY CLINIC IS NOW FAT AND FREAKIN MISERABLE!!!!!!!!
You are the one that is soooo wrong, everyone is different and everyone's body acts differently. So before you get all on your tower get your facts right. WOW I HATE PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT FEEL THAT BECAUSE YOUR BODY ACTED THE WAY YOU WANTED EVERYBODYS HAS TO BE JUST LIKE YOU, GET REAL WILL YOU OR JUST STOP TALKING.
I been on the jug for 5 months now n I gained 15 pounds, but that is what I believe. That people gain weight cause they wasn't eating rite anyway, while they was getting high. I do grave sugar a lot n that is why people teeth get bad cause they start eatin a lot of chocolate n it f&!ks your teeth up.! It saved my life now I c why people don't get off of it.. It's the truth . Allah is Merciful!!!
I'm on it and take 75mg a day. I have been on it for about four months.  I have actually lost weight due to the methadone curbing my appetite.  I would have to say though if you are considering methadone, your weight should probally be the last of your concerns and you should just focos on your addiction first. Good luck.
hey maraBnD i have been on and off metherdone for the past 6years and iv noticed it gose on ya life style really because you dont eat propaly when your doing herion when you get on a methadone program it makes you put on weight because you start eating propaly and you crave sweet stuff all the time.  last time i was on methadone because i was still also living a bad life style i hardly put on weight.....but now im on a methadone program agian ive put on 3 and half stone =( and thats because im having three meals aday and also eating choclate and goodies on top but i cant help it im craving these so bad but im been cleen and just on methadfone for nly two yrs and still putting on weight it up and dwn so it depends on you and your diet and how you body reacts to the methadone hun hope this has helped you as coming from a person thats on metherdone if you need to jo out else let me no xz
I'm a skinny girl who takes Methadone.  Prior to taking it I was strictly on Norco for my back.  My weight is always a steady 113 and I'm 5'5.  Less than a month into taking Methadone with NO changes to my daily diet (I eat the same thing every single day) I started to gain weight.  I had to cut things out of my normal daily food routine which was hard, but I did it and I have got back to 113 basically starving myself while taking Methadone.

I was never malnourished prior to taking Methadone since I've never done Heroin.  I was given Methadone for chronic pain.  It has helped tremendously, but if I hadn't acted quick as I did, I would have packed on the pounds.  I'm too vain to let that happen, so I pretty much starve which I did not do prior to this medication.

Now my doctor is in some legal trouble for over prescribing so he is eliminating Methadone from his pain patients.  I was just prescribed 100mg MS Contin 2 X daily.  I have never taken as much Methadone as I get prescribed so I have hundreds left over so I haven't had to switch to MS just yet, but I will have to at some point.  I hope that I can go back to prior eating habits which were AM- Bowl of bran flakes with bananas. No sugar added than a coke to drink.  Lunch- Chocolate Chip Granola Bar with a Coke to drink.  Dinner- Chicken or Pork with veggie on the side.  This is what I ate when I only took Norco.  After the switch to Methadone, I can only eat dinner (just a chicken breast.  No side dish) and have 1 coke per day just to stay at 113 where I was before the Methadone.  What I'm saying is YES it absolutely makes you gain weight even to the most disciplined person who eats the same thing daily.  I hope this MS Contin will combat the pain, with little to no Methadone withdrawal and give me the ability to eat again.  It's been 3 years of starvation.  Anyone who says that if you gain you must be eating more sweets or doing something wrong is full of it!  It makes you gain weight, so you have to decide to either cut back your normal diet or just pack on the pounds.  
Not everyone who is taking Methadone is addicted to Heroin.  I've never touched Heroin in my life.  If you are prescribed it for pain, I would really consider maybe not taking it because it seems to be hell to come off of and it does make you gain weight.  Gaining weight means increased pain. It's original purpose was for chronic pain, but then they found it helped with Heroin withdrawal.  I never admit to anyone that I take this med because most everyone will assume that at some point I must have done heroin.  It's unfortunate that Methadone is labeled this way.  Anyone who is prescribed it for pain needs to weigh the the risks with the benefits because gaining weight is horrible for anyone who is combating pain!
Listen, I have been on methadone for about 4 years. I was always pretty thin. About 130 lbs. I skyrocketed up to 190!!! Didn't change eating habits. Always ate healthy, exercised, watched sugar intake. It didn't matter. I am by no means LAZY and to say so is frankly insulting. Methadone does make you gain. It slows your metabolism. It's not to say everyone on Methadone gains, they don't... BUT MOST DO!! I am now down to 12mg from 120mg and have been steadily losing ever since. I don't know what the answer is, but my suggestion would be to exercise MORE on methadone and eat healthier than your used to. Just step everything up. Methadone changes your body chemistry so your habits have to change along with it if you want to maintain your figure.
I gained 50 lbs on methadone. I eat only 20 carbs a day and no more than 1500 calories a day and run 2 miles 5 days a week. I cannot drop below 160 no matter what I do. I am weaning off methadone now and am at 4 mgs. It was not hard to do at all. It gets you away from street drugs long enough to get your life together. My metabolism has slowed down so much on methadone. Can't wait to be off and down to 0mg.
im in exactly the same situation i was aways 120-130 , on dope 90-110 when i got on meth i thought id get back to what i was normally and i was so upset because ive always had a weight problem always wanting to be really thin, i was really happy when i was on heroin i mean i hated being sick and i ran out of money so i got on methadon and it makes me lazy fat and sweaty!! to be honest in my personal situation my life and mind were so much better on dope and that is really sad but true. it *****.
That is very incorrect.  Methadone attaches to the same receptor sites as sugar and alcohol.  You do crave sugar from the methadone and it is not an excuse.  
Actually methadone is known to cause dry mouth which lets bacteria run rampant and as a result people begin to suffer with tooth decay.  Many others claim methadone causes sugar cravings which also contribute to the tooth decay.
why are you assuming that your experience is the same everyone else should have?  You also assume that people are making poor nutritional choices in their diets if they gain weight. You also assume everyone on methadone is taking it after using drugs, also not true.
Taking methadone for pain relief is quite common.  Getting dry mouth from methadone is also common which lets bacteria run rampant. Metabolism also comes into play. Because everyone's body is different it would be safer to assume that possibly all the discussed side effects are possibilities. Side effects are only experienced by a percentage of the users.....they are not mandatory.
The term "meth mouth" refers to people on METHAMPHETAMINES, not methadone...the chemicals in methamphetamines DO rot your teeth, whereas methadone increases saliva production, which can lead to an increase in the bacteria in your mouth, which if not properly adressed through adequate oral hygiene can cause tooth decay. Make sure you have your terminology right - too many people want to associate the ills of methamphetamines with methadone patients because they never look past the "meth" part, as you have done, and its erroneous and judgemental.
Ok ppl...yes the methadone does make u gain weight....but that's better than the **** loads of drugs I was taking daily...which was enough that how I didn't overdose is a mystery....and yes it makes u crave sweets....but NO it doesn't rot your teeth out...did u every stop to think that maybe all that sugar u are taking in is what's causing your teeth problems NOT the methadone...and I agree with the person who said it makes you sweet because I defiantly sweat so badly now....so here's the run down....YES U GAIN WEIGHT, BUT IF U EXERCISE AND EAT RIGHT THEN U WILL BE FINE....NO IT DOES NOT ROT YOUR TEETH OUT...THOSE PPL NEED TO STAY OFF THE SWEETS AND BRUSH....and for those who talk about how bad methadone is for your body...I don't guess the HERION, CRACK OR HUNDREDS OF PILLS THAT PPL WERE TAKNG BEFORE WERE BAD :/...all things have pros and cons but everybody is different and everyone has different reason for why they are taking methadone PPL NEED TO STOP BEING EVERYONE ELSES JUDGE AND WORRY ABOUT YOUR OWN PROBLEMS!
Yes! Of course we are all different, but for the most part everyone gains weight from methadone.  I certainly have.  It also depends on your dose.  I was on 55 mgs and gained over 15 pounds in 3 months.
YES,  it  ABSOLUTELY causes  weight  gain, I  am  on a  program,  have  been  for  over 11 years,  and I  have  probably  gained  at  least 50lbs.  I'm  on  financial detox at my clinic currently, down from 88mg  to 34mg  in  less  than 2 1/2  weeks,  abd I  already  don't  want  sugar  like I  used  to. I  am  hoping  I'll  lose  it  getting  off. I'm  trying  to  switch  to  Suboxone,  did  that  make  anyone  crave  sweets?  Hope  you  have  found  your  answer and  best  wishes!
Listen, everyone is different, so please do not post something so judgmental in capital letters; this simply isn't the place to do that. As you can read, different strokes for different folks. There have been several people who have mentioned that they exercise and eat healthy and still gained weight, so take it easy.  I am on Methadone because I have Chronic-Chronic absolute NON stop pain in my lumbar region due to numerous problems.  I am disabled & receive my monetary benefits, but all people who become disabled have to wait 24 months after being declared disabled before they receive Medicare disability. So I have to take the Methadone because I have NO Insurance coverage & it is affordable. I got much more relief from the Fentanyl patch, however they are anywhere from $200 to $400 per box (5 patches per box, need 10 patch per month) I have gained 20 pounds in the past 6 months.  It definitely causes an uncontrollable craving for sweets & I had no idea why.  After coming across this forum & reading everyone's comments, now I know why.  So I can look forward to dropping my Methadone 20' when I finally get my Medicare coverage in 10/2014 and can go back on the patch, HURRAY!!!!  
Yes you gain weight. the higher methadone dose, the more you gain.
I live in Norway, and have used metadone for ca 15 years. I was a normal slim man before i started on metadone, and the first years on the stuff, i used 125 mg. a day. I was active in work and did not gain so much. After ca 3 years i lost my metadone, due to wrong people running the program in parts of Norway. (the abstinens of metadone is far more painfull than all other opiates, and last for much loner time.Noting helps due to the reseptor blokade of other opiates from metadone. and the blokade lasts a looong time) I started up again after a couple of years, but this time on Subutex. This beacause i would never experience the pain of the abstinens of metadone again. The Subutex worked fine, but after a year i was in a motorcycle accsident. smashing my spine, and ended in a wheelshair, with a lot of pain. The Subutex could not kill my pain, so i had to start back on metadone. Now on 160mg a day. and i started to gain a lot of weight, and a lot of water in my body.I dont eat sugar and fat food, and i eat very little. I still gain a lot. I know a lot of people who uses metadone in my hometown, ca 90% of them have problems with weight. Please excuse my bad english, it is not my language.I still have to say, after 25 years on heroin before the metadone, it is way better to be fat, than living the hell of a heroin addict....
Subutex/subuxone will not gain your weight like metadone. I know, i have used both sub and metadone. The sugar craving people are talking about, i think is some kind of substitute or longing, for a high again....
Well said :)
Myth: Methadone makes you gain weight.

Reality: Not everyone gains weight when they go on methadone, but some do. This is usually because methadone improves your health and appetite, and so you eat more. If you’ve been using drugs for a long time, you may be underweight and need to gain a few pounds.

Even though the methadone drink is not “fattening” like sweets and fatty foods, methadone can slow your metabolism and cause water retention, which can lead to weight gain. You can control weight gain by choosing healthy foods that are high in fibre such as whole grains and fruits and vegetables, and by exercising regularly. If you nourish your body, you’ll keep the pounds off, and more important, you’ll feel good.
actually ive been to many doctors and i was walking 10km a day and eating less calories then im supposed to in a day and gained 80lbs on methadone because it DOES slow your metabolism way down for some who already have a bad metabolism. I was discussing this with a doctor and he said there was no way i could have gained if it weren't for methadone in fact with my lack of money to only eat one meal a day and walk to the doctor for my chronic foot pain from walking and pharmacy on a daily basis which was a 3hr walk for only that never mind everything else i had to do in a day. So just saying you shouldn't jump to the conclusion that we are all lying pigs with bad eating habits and lazy behaviors.  Also, i am now on 9mg and have lost 40lbs and i have not changed how much i eat or what i eat and the more i lower the more i lose. In fact when i stay at a dose for a period of time because my body needs a break from lowering constantly my weight loss stops and i plateau until i lower again. Basically depending on your metabolic state to begin with it can make you gain weight. It truly depends on the person!
Why would you act like you are right and everyone else is wrong..????  That is wonderful that you are doing well on it without any side effects, but there are TENS OF THOUSANDS of people who ARE experiencing a lot of weight gain as well as dental problems. I am finding that the dental problems are really from the dry mouth people get from taking methadone, and the bacteria one gets from dry mouth because of dry mouth.
But the weight gain IS real from taking methadone....What I am seeing from researching this is that the majority of the people who get the weight gain are on pill form methadone taken for pain...not liquid methadone taken for opiate addiction. Of course there are some people getting weight gain from the liquid form, but the main thing is that people are simply trying to see what they can do to lose it.
Personally, I have gained 50 lbs in the 7 years I have been on methadone for pain, and I have tried many ways to lose it but to no avail. I tried Nutri-system, Plexis, as well as some of the new fangled pills such as Garcinia Cambogia. I believe in my heart and soul that methadone screws with our metabolism, but I am not a doctor. But if you want to know the truth, doctors don't even know why this side effect does happen, but the tens of thousands of people complaining are NOT all wrong!  
So please, as the old saying goes....If you can't say anything nice, then don't say nothing at all.
It's nice to see that someone doesn't have these horrible side effects like others do. I wish we all could feel that way.
Bless You,
R
I have struggled with addiction for many years outs been an ugly battle. ..i was in methadone 12 years ago. .. did it cold turkey something I would never ever do again.. But sadly I've  relapsed 2 years ago got down to 8mls looKed great. .. relapsed now I'm 55 mls and I'm going to go down 2mls at a time. ...I hate methadone. .. the ONLY WAY TO LOSE THE WEIGHT IS TO GET OFF THE METHADONE COMPLETELY! !!! I've tried it all it's the only thing that works gals:(bestof luck. . God bless
That's funny! I've been on it for a year and have been walking or running about 4 or more miles a day and am continuously dieting.I have put on 30lbs.in spite of this. Of course ur eating better when ur not doing drugs,but everyone isn't lazy like ur saying. I mean commen  sense  tells u that if people who are using suboxone instead of opiotsarent gaining **** but everyone around u that is on methadone blows up like a house, gee why do you think that is???? My doctors tried to tell me the same thing,but they have to tell u that, they can't exactly say differently bc ALOT of people would then get off of it and end up where they were b4. Can u say lawsuit! I'm def.not saying its bad BC I prob.couldn't live without it,but don't keep raising ur dose like I did,BC the higher u go the more weight ur gonna gain. Try and stay on the lowest mg.that u can and u won't gain a lot.
YES! YES! & YES!! I went from about 110 to about 190!! The only straight answer is it destroys your metabolism! I kept the same eating habits I had all my life & gained & gained. Now I am dying to lose weight & started the Atkins Diet, which I did once when I was just a social drinker no other vices. The 1st time I did this diet I dropped 20 lbs in 2 weeks, this time I;m on methadone & it's been about 3 wks or more & I've barely lost 10! One thing I remind myself though is that I wouldn't have my daughter if I was a skinny junkie, better to have her w/ me & be a good Mom & fat than the alternative!
Good Luck!
I agree with you
Educate yourself on this medication and its side effects before posting your opinion.  Methadone causes your body to retain water  and slows your metabolism. Why do you think people immediately lose the excess weight once they cease the medication. There are many people who have used drugs but functioned the same (i.e. eating habits, exercise etc.) while getting high and after being "clean", myself included.  In addition you stated you have been on this medication for only a year.  Your still in the toddler league sweetie, post your dose and weight in another couple of years when you're opinion may actually count,  then re-read your uneducated post to see how stupid you sound.
My husband has been on and off of methadone for about 8 yrs was in the methadone clinic probably 4 or 5 years during that period of time.  It helped him when he was in the program he got his life back he was able to work and have money.  Yes he was still an addict because he was taking methadone.  You aren't clean if your taking methadone.  I believe in the methadone clinic program it works for the people who want help.  It sure beats buying it on the street.  He gained about 50 pounds but lost it after coming off the methadone it stores it in your fat so once you stop taking you are no longer absorbing it.  It is a very hard to drug to come off of it took him probably a month after leaving the clinic and he was on 5 mg when he left the clinic to come off it.  The depression that comes with it lasts months.
Yes it does. But you do crave sweets you must watch what you eat. I have been on methadone for five years. Two years ago I walked everyday 3 miles and in 7 months I lost  65 lbs. however I got sick and the weight came back plus. It is very hard to lose weight on this drug. That is why I have been tapering off of it. This drug is the worst drug in the world. It is very difficult to come off of. I was at 50mgs a day ,now I am at 10 mg. I plan to be completely off of before Christmas. My withdraw would hopefully be like the flu. You have to be very strong and have people support you. Get off of it.
I'm a methadone patient myself, 21 years young, female. From California. Wow you took the words right out of my mouth, tho I have no kids, I have   family and my fiance. The way I saw it finally was to stop beating myself up for not going through that 3-5 day pain and then just leave it alone forever and I'm home free. The thing is I had gone through that 3-5 days over and over again. Sometimes   because I felt I was at my bottom and needed to quit, others just because I wanted my tolerance of H to go down so I could better enjoy my high. I had even quit and not relapsed for two months once. The thing is whether it was 2 weeks or two months it was a never ending cycle that I could no longer control. I take it day by day instead of looking  at  where I'm going to be at in my recovery next week, next month, next year even! I'm getting a controlled dosage of methadone every day. I will never again wake up in pain due to withdraw. I'll wake up not even thinking of how I feel and I don't think of it as a fix at all. Methadone in a way did save me. I am not abusing it, I can't say the same about  H. I know I'll never ID on my methadone  dosage. And luckily I got a wonderful counselor (this is coming from someone forced into therapy and recovery for years) and she is a human being not a by the book robot. I know if nothing else she's rooting for me. And as long as I'm doing everything  I possibly can on my end she will break her back for me if need be. I'm sure other clients are hardly as lucky to click or hit it off with there counselor as me. But if you have a legitimate  complaint about your counselor there's always  someone  of higher power to talk to. I'll quit my rant but if at all you can stop beating  yourself up please do. I'm sure you saved your life deciding to be on methadone , your not weak for not wanting to feel that pain you're human! Your children will never be subjected to having a user for a mother, your a strong person. Please believe that exactly how you feel is what I did I just had to see it from another point of view.. Best wishes.
I have been on methadone pill form from pain management for severe back pain, and yes my teeth have chipped ( molars) and ive gained about 35 lbs..it definitely is the cause..i never had a weight problem or tooth problem !!!! gonna try to get on something different for a long acting pain med...
Liquid or not Methadone WILL NOT rot your teeth. What doctor told you that?  I have been taking Methadone (liquid) for almost 2 years now I never had even one cavity before. Still Don't have the slightest problem with my teeth. Meth mouth is when you are hooked on meth amphetamine. Thats what rots your teeth.
I'm have very mixed feelings about this issue. On the one hand, I've been on methadone for a year and a half (220 mg now) and have gained 20-30 pounds. Most of that came very quickly, and seems to be extremely hard to lose. That said, the scientist in me knows better than to assume that correlation equaks causation. While it certainly does seem as though most people posting here (myself included) have had significant weight gain which seems completely attributable to our medication, I also notice vast changes in my eating and exercise habits. There's also the fact that methadone is a full mu-opiate receptor agonist just like oxy, heroin or any other drug we've likely been abusing. While addicted to these substances, I lost a lot of weight. It may strongly seem as though methadone alone causes weight gain because of this, but it just doesn't make much sense from a pharmalogical point of view; methadone has no real effect on your body that isn't duplicated by any other opiate.

That said, with this much anecdotal evidence, it's certainly worth rigorous study. It's also very important to find a doctor without a vested interest, and preferably a clinic like this as well. That may be harder in the US where they are always for-profit businesses (excepting insurance) - here in Canada, we get our methadone mostly from any old pharmacy, and it's dispensed just like (and alongside) any other medication. This makes staff less likely to embellish the therapeutic effects of the drug, or minimize the side-effects.

All I know is that so far, methadone has given me my life back. I don't hesitate to say that I would nearly certainly be lying in a box underground now without it. No, it's not for everyone; you need to be very well-informed before initiating maintenance therapy. However if used properly as intended and under competent medical supervision, it can provide a second chance to those people who had all but given up on life. Naturally many people who have quit methadone - recently or not - will be more biased toward reporting negative effects since those are there most recent experiences, and can easily overshadow the years of stability it provided.
What you need to do to stay/Keep clean is WILLPOWER, all the way, you also need to really WANT it, if u've managed to come off AND stay off the Kit, then you will have the willpower to do it. Good Luck. x
I was given methadone to help taper me off other meds and I can tell you first hand the crap is strong.  When I was on opiates I gained 35lbs and I used to be a gym rat.  In fact I avoided seeing people because I knew if they saw my condition they would know something was wrong with me.  Opiates definitely make you crave sugar, plus its not like they give you motivation for the gym either.  I also got so depressed I developed a food addiction I never had before, I was eating because of being depressed.  

I think maintenance programs are good for certain individuals, basically depending on how you handle depression/stress and what drug you were on.  If you are a former herion user and not willing to go to a inpatient rehab then subs or methadone is better than staying on smack.  However if you are on regular prescription meds I think methadone is just side-stepping the issue.  
Wow, all caps, you must be really angry.

It is you that has no idea what you're talking about.  I went on Methadone for chronic pain relief.  My history is complex, but I am unable to take other pain relievers and it was either Methadone or continue to lie in bed for the rest  of my life.
As far as all of us piggies just eating sugar all day long, what a joke.  I've gained 80 lbs from Fibromyalgia.  I then lost 40 while I spent 2 stints in the hospital.  Came out of the hospital, started methadone and the 40 lbs came on in 9 months.
I DO NOT eat added sugar.  My diet is very clean, I eat salmon, complex carbohydrates and good fats; ie: olive oil, avocado and coconut oil.  I am unable to exercise because of some very painful tendon disorders which have even affected my feet!
So don't you dare act like a know it all, when your all caps message makes it appear you're lit on something.  This kind of ignorance gets under my skin like nothing else.  I get it from my doctor all the time and it's ********.  Methadone makes some of us gain weight regardless of the healthy clean diets we follow, as well as heavy vitamin and mineral supplementation.
Shut your pie hole!
After reading many of these comments I think I am the only one who is on Methadone to manage the chronic pain of Fibromyalgia.

When I first started it was like a miracle drug.  I've never been high on Methadone, my dose (10 mg am, 5 mg pm) doesn't get me high, but it did put an end to so many of the horrible affects of Fibromyalgia.  I had so much energy and my head became so much clearer.  I got my life back.  I could clean, go grocery shopping, it was amazing.  Of course you'd have to understand the devastation of Fibromyalgia to understand the miracle of getting some control of your life again.

I did, however gain a huge amount of weight on methadone.  And, for the life of me, I can't shed a single pound!  I eat a very healthy diet.  Lots of fish, complex grains and good fats.  I have a very complex medical history, once involving having 4 pulmonary embolisms at once.  This required me to go on a drug called Coumain and to limit my intake of Vitamin K, a natural blood clotter.  Vitamin K is found primarily in leafy green veggies, so this makes it especially hard for me to maintain a balanced diet, but I take many vitamin and mineral supplements to make up for what I can't eat.

So here I am, so incredible unhappy at 240 lbs (5'9"), knowing that if I go off Methadone I will go back to the hell of Fibromyalgia.  I'm not afraid of withdrawl from Methadone, I'm afraid of losing my life again.  Of spending days on end unable to shower, washing my hair, even wake up.  Of my head being so full of fog I no longer read, one of the greates loves in life.

Nothing else came close to the relief I've experienced with methadone.  I will say, after being on it for 9 months, the effects are starting to wain a bit.  I don't have as much energy anymore and my head get's a bit foggy again.  So, do I increase my methadone to get my life back, but surely also gain more weight, or do I just get off it now and spend the rest of my days isolated and in pain?  I feel like it's Sophie's Choice.  There's no good answer.
I am tall and typically slender male age 35, I've been on methadone for almost 16 years! I weened off methadone a few years ago and became ridiculously skinny (160lbs and 6'4) I switched to suboxone and the entire time I was still losing weight on suboxone, frightening amount of Weight loss, skinny face etc. now I'm back on methadone at 80mgs(my average dose for over a decade) and I slowly gained about 50 plus pounds. I've topped off at about 230 lbs and I don't look "fat" per say because I'm so tall I can balance out the extra weight but looking at old pictures of myself (especially when I was on the suboxone) my face is much puffier now, and puffier than when I had never taken methadone. I'm steady at this weight of 230 lbs and don't seem to be gaining anymore but I feel like I d be way better losing about 30 lbs and the strangest thing is that I barely take in 1000 calories a day. I do eat lot of sugars and fats but I'm vegetarian. Within the last year I've been apparently diagnosed with an under active thyroid and since taking levothyroxine haven't seemed to lose much weight. I'm seriously going to start working out more often and try and eat less sugar and see if that helps. Also I am convinced methadone hurts teeth health as I've seen so many people have this issue.
I should also mention that I am not on methadone (currently) for addiction. I take it for pain and I don't abuse it or take more than prescribed. Just wanted to share that I've also joined the "50# weight gain" club since being on methadone
You are one lucky one in hundreds then and God bless you that you have lost weight.  But if you talk to the nurse at your clinic the FACT is that yes you can and usually do put on weight for a number of reasons, one your living healthier so eating more, but the more is generally sweets now, you have more fatigue with methadone so your metabolism slows down.  i've not heard about the teeth rotting but you are quick to denounce others just because you have been fortunate enough not to put on weight.  Don't understand where your anger is coming from, this is just a forum for everyone to express their feelings and issues they have had, just because you have not, does not mean they are lying or need to get their facts straight.  Perhaps you need to do something about your attitude since you don't have to address weight issues, work on not being miserable
I gained 25-30lbs on methadone & as soon as I got off it I lost 25lbs in a month!! Yes it makes everyone on it gain. Everyone I c that I went to the clinic with has gained tremendously. Soboxone doesn't or hasn't made me gain.
I am currently on methadone for 2 years now i was sniffing herion before that if it wasnt for methadone i would probably still be on herion. Methadone saved my life but now i gained so much weight and i feel at tho it is the methadone that is doing it to me so to answer your ? Yes it does so many other people i no that are on it gained some amount of weight. I dont no if it is the sugar foods i grave or the medicine it self but either way it is from the methedone
omg I m in the same boat do you think even if we tamper off to 0 we will feel that bad.
I just got off the methadone maintenance program and I believe that if you watch what you eat and you control what you eat you may not gain weight. I have a high metabolism. And I did gain weight on the methadone maintenance program. So I believe that methadone itself,  does not make you gain weight, but it does increase your appetite by a lot. Again, I have a very high metabolism. And in a year I went from 111 pounds to 168 on the methadone maintenance program.
That makes no sense. You have a high metabolism, yet you gained a ton of weight, but you are telling this person that it DOESN'T? Your logic is flawed, unless you have been eating candy non stop day and night.
That is completely dishonest. There is no increase in sugar craving, and everyone except the rarest person gains weight very quickly. Your metabolism is slowed to such extent that dieting, even starving yourself is of little use. You need to reconcile yourself to becoming obese if you take Methadone.
ACTUALLY IT SLOWS YOUR METABOLISM. THAT IS WHY IT IS EFFECTIVE FOR SUCH A LONG TIME. IT MAKES YOU GAIN WEIGHT DESPITE WHAT YOU EAT. I TRIED A NEAR STARVATION DIET, AND STILL GAINED MORE WEIGHT.  AS SOON AS I DROPPED MY DOSE WITH NO CHANGE IN DIET. I LOST WEIGHT. FACT>
You contradict yourself. If people are finally eating right, they would not be obese. And there is simply no other exp-lanation for extreme weight gain 100 percent of the time. Why do people keep on lying about this subject. Also; NOT WATER RETENTION, you can not retain over 20 pounds of water on a daily basis. IT IS FAT. And I am no longer fat, which is 100 percent because I am no longer on Methadone.
U r right same thing is happening to me now this is why I looked it up, I used to be 115 w abs n obliques I am now up to 140 with no muscles in my stomach and a doughnut around my waist only I'm ready to kms! I'm also trying the starvation, than I tried the healthy then I just gave up and started dropping my dose just a few weeks ago, I have a while to go though :( I'm on 70mg and I'm going down 1mg a week ... I just want my body back! I'm wondering if I go back to the gym while on methadone if this will work? I haven't tried because I figured I'd be wasting my time anyone know about this  
Early days. You will see.