Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Does methadone make u gain weight

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Does methadone make u gain weight

I have heard from many people that methadone makes you gain weight.  the doctor at the clininc and my psychiatrist and my primary care doctor all insit that it doesnt... they say it makes you crave sugar and most people gain the weight because they werent eating right before they started the program, and the done makes you crave sugar.  I need an answer from someone who is actually in the program.  I dont want to hear he said she saids... i need the truth.  I spent 600 dollars on a personal trainer last month and lost 15 pounds and 6% body fat... i dont want that to come back.  HELP
-Mara
I have no experience with methadone but from reading these forums and hearing from others who have had the drug it does make you crave sweets.  If you have the control to stay away from them and continue to work out, you will be okay.  I understand methadone is one of the hardest drugs to quit, so I would be very hesitant in starting it at all.  But it is your decision and you are right in trying to get as much information as possible.  Keep asking questions here. you are doing the right thing.
yes it does..I don't know one person that hasn't gained weight..@20lbs.no joke..thankfully i only weighed about 92lbs then..liquid methadone will also rot your teeth eventually..they call it meth mouth..
My friend uses methadone and she is obese at this point...6 months later...tiny thing at the start...now she is having he!! getting off of it...do what u need to do to get clean but methadone does seem to be a lst choice from what i have learned and read
I meant "last" choice
Sorry but I have to agree with everyone. It makes you gain a lot of weight. It is gradual, at least with me. When I got off methadone the weight did disappear. With me it was all water retention. For some reason it held all the water in me. When I stopped the methadone I peed so much and the weight came off. Good luck.
Methadone makes it VERY hard to stay thin. I've been on it for over 4 years now, and have gained about 20 lbs. I started out as one of those disgusting women who was still skinny and had a six-pack stomache after 2 kids- and I could eat whatever I wanted. After about 2 months on methadone the weight started creeping on- then I quit smoking and it got even worse. Not only does methadone slow your metabolism and make you retain water (causing that sexy cottage cheese look on the butt and legs)- it also gives you a huge appetite for sweets. I really feel like it diminishes my self-control when it comes to dieting- I used to be SO disiplined but now I just can't seem to stop eating. However, I've been lucky- most women on methadone that I've seen have gained WAY more- 50 lbs and up. It's scary to watch. I manage to keep my weight from skyrocketing by walking on the treadmill and staying as active as I can- and weighing myself daily.
  The thing with your teeth rotting is also true, unfortunately. I started methadone with 2 molars missing- now most of them are gone. And I brush my teeth regularly- it doesn't seem to make any difference. My teeth crumble from the inside out, it seems- they will look fine and all the sudden I'll be eating and one will just be rolling around in my mouth. The roots remain intact, which means I have to go to an oral surgeon to have them dug out- fun fun!
  I'm not sure what your situation is, but getting on methadone is a BIG decision. It does save lives, but it has it's bad points too. I think it's only justified in people who have proved to be chronic relapsers who simply can't live without opiates. I wish I could turn back the clock- I would've spent the 4 days or week or whatever it took suffering through withdrawals, then I would've been FREE!!! Instead I was too afraid of the despair I felt during withdrawals- it wasn't the physical part so much, but the emotional devastation- so I took the "easy" way out and got on methadone.  And now I'm too scared to attempt to get off of it. I have 2 kids and 3 jobs and a husband and a household to run- no time for being sick. And, I'll admit, I'm a coward- I'm just too terrified of how I'd feel without it.
  So to anyone who is considering methadone- please be careful- think long and hard before you take that step. It's not easy to break away from it once you're on.
  Best wishes and prayers,
Dee

Methadone is awful to come off of. I have been off about 1 1/2 months and still have some problems. I did gain some weight, but only about 10 pounds, but it messes your whole system up. And from what I hear, it takes forever to get back to normal. My advise, don't take it. In the long run, it's not worth what it does to your body, and what you have to go through to get off it. Good luck.
Hi Dee,

I have had exactly the same problems with my teeth and 15 weight gain. I was never an addict, I am on  meth for chrinic pain after a horrible disabiling car accident. I have been very very upset with my weight gain and could not understnad why. My eating habits and lifestyle has not changed one iota. I will talk to my dr about water retention help.
Your post helped me realize I am not the only one having these symptoms,
Thanx,
Miranda
ACTUALLY YOU ALL ARE WRONG AND OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT,METH MAKES U CRAVE SUGARY FOODS.AND PEOPLE THAT ARE NOW CLEAN AND ON METHADONE ARE FINALLY EATING RIGHT AGAIN.ITS  EASY TO BLAME YOUR BAD FOOD CHOICES AND LAZINESS TOWARDS EXERCISING ON METHADONE,BUT IT SIMPLY IS NOT THE CULPRIT.I HAVE BEEN ON FOR OVER A YEAR AND HAVE STEADILY BEEN LOSING WEIGHT.I NOW WEIGH 119.GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT,GUYS,AND GET HEALTHY.DONT BLAME YOUR UNFIT BODIES ON METHADONE
thanks yo.  i have been loosing weight, although i gained 5 pounds in the first month, i lost it in 2 weeks,.... and i was the one who posted the question.  All you guys knock the methadone, well, its totally helping me.  It has kept me from sticking needles in my body or sticking **** in my nose.  I take it as directed, i dont abuse it.  Sometimes, i take my prescribed klonopin and clonodine and sometimes when those urges to use happen, i just grab a promethiezine (phenergan) and that helps relax me for some reason (not quite sure how it works, but it does).  I am weening myself off the pines with the help of 2 doctors.  I've been on at least 2 mgs of klonopin and 0.2 mgs clonodine.  I have tried to cold turkey the benzo, but it sent me into a seizure...and if i don't take as much as i am prescribed, i have serious tremors that are terrible... believe you me.  The only problem i have had with the methadone is that it makes me sweat something terrible.  Every 2 minutes i am wiping my face off with a papEr towel.  THAT REALLY *****, but it also makes you **** less and its really hard for me to pee.  Im definetly not dehydrating myself or anything either.  I wonder if any of you guys know an herbal supplement that helps with the "going to the bathroom", please let me know.
I appreciate everyones comments, but i have to say, i dont have as bad a problem as some people in the program, but its help me stay clean this long.  I plan to be on it steadily until 5-6 months, then i will have my doctors and counseler SLOWLY ween me down.  Comment back peeps!!!
-Mara tha Blank Dank
yes you will get fat and toothless, even after some time clean i still have weight issues because the methadone screwed up my metabolism, and i am not even going to mention the amount of money i have had to spend on dental work, and my teeeth still look like ****
I am guess I am lucky. I have been on methadone, at the clinic, since april and I swear, I feel "stuffed" all the time. I cant eat. I have to make myself eat. which is fine, i had gained up to 155 lbs on oxys and have always been "small" as in 120 lbs. I am down to 140 now. LOVE THE METHADONE.  But I do know that it is going to be hard to come off of.  I hear alot of folks at the clinic talk about craving sugar, but I dont. And trust me, I have always loved my sweets, especially cake-like b day cake, wedding cake, cookies, choc, etc......and since I have been on meth, I dont want anything to eat. WOO HOOO
ohhh, yeah.....I guess I should add, that I also have my life back and things are better than ever!!!  I am happy, I really am and I recommend this to anyone else. Again, I dont know how I will get off it, but I know that ir will be a slow, slow, long process. But I will cross that bridge later. Right now, I am just grateful to be off the oxy/ lorcet roller coaster.
It is so good to see you here again! You have been missed !!!!
YES!!  
I'am on the Methadone Program, and have been for the past 6 months.
I am very happy to be drug free! Although, Sadly I've gained alot of weight.
My healthy weight has always fluctuated between 115 and 120.
However, I gained 30 LBS!!! I could not believe it. I immediately went on a diet and noticed that the weight was ALOT harder to loose. (cuz of the methadone.)
I've noticed that for the most part the weight gain has a harsher affect on women.
yup i gained 30ibs in 6 months.the only people i hear say good things about done are the people on it and the people giving it. the clinic was so good to me when i was on it. when i came off they would not help me in anyway. i feel they set me up to fail.hoping i would come back crying with my wallet in hand. but i didn't.and how many x done user's are at the clinic helping other's. none where i was going.all i ever got was your not ready.and the last thing they want is someone helping people get off it.thats there pay check.i guess if you believe your hopeless and never want to get clean it will work 4 ya. i walked off 16 days ago and i'm not dead. i'm still xing that bridge and believe me it's a long bridge to cross.has anyone posted  i'm clean now and done was so good for my recovery. most will tell you it made it harder to get clean.i almost used H  to come off the done. thak god i stayed strong and god helped me get to this day
I think its totally up to you. I've been on Methadone for about 15 months and I weighed about 250 and now I'm 235. ANY NARCOTIC will make you crave sweets. Just eat right. I know I'm dependant on narcotics, but I quit about a month ago and have had some withdrawals as you will with anything when you have been taking it so long. Everyone is different and you must know yourself. Be strong!
have heard that it does make u gain weight...also loose teeth..that scared me!
hummm...interesting.

i'am not on methadone, but i¡d like to share almost a similar experience ( gaining weight ) since i'm clean. The first  weeks after the worst days of wd had gone, i had hugh cravings for sugar and junk food, you know ...and ok, wth, i said to myself  that i would eat whatever i wanted as a sort oof present to myself for being clean....

no way, i put on more than 5 kilos in 3 weeks even if by the end of the first week i had  started exercising ( more or less but i was eating a lot and without order, grr ) so maybe it's true that narcotics make us eat/crave for sugar  and when i left my DOC ( hydros )  i was also addicted to sugar and my body was craving even more  for it  ...

don't know but  i had to stop it, i've  already lost two kilos since i've started a sort of healthy diet trying to keep  the levels of sugar stabilized and that's the point here with sugar...to stop those cravings, we have to eat 5 times a day ( two of them,  just a yoghourt or a piece of fruit but something healthy ) so that we can  keep those leves without highs and downs.

I had cut also in fat, we need fat to function but not sooooo many fat in our food and i'm eating a lot of veggies ( salads, soups ..whatever..),  slow carbos  gives us energy along the day, fiber is also good and proteins, but cut in fat and junk food and eat 5 times a day and maybe even while being on methadone , you can keep the weight ... for sweet cravings, i have dark chocolate and it keeps me calm about sugar :)

as for whole fat dairy products, an adult usually develops an intolerance to the fat in them with the years, that's why so many people stop having swollen ankles and feet just by cutting these products or  eating them low fat  ( you stop retaining fluids...).

i think that if we gain weight is not by miracle, there is always some reason in our diiet or in our way of eating...maybe you can try doing what i'm doing now and works for you too, good luck!
here, kane
Female 47 on 30 mgs. Yes I gained weight. Most people I see start on this drug gain weight but there a few that don't. Weight can be managed with the usual diet and exercise.
The member "sadinmichigan" said in the second comment above - "liquid methadone will also rot your teeth eventually..they call it meth mouth.."

She obviously does not know what she is talking about. If someone has "meth mouth" they have got it from smoking crystal-meth (methamphetamine), it has nothing to do with methadone.

Anyway, when i was taking heroin & smoking crack i became very skinny and would often not eat for several days. When i decided to quit drugs and start taking methadone i noticed that i did gain weight very quickly, but this is probably because my body was used to being starved for long periods of time and then suddenly i was eating regular.

I have now been taking methadone for the past 3 years and i have gained 3 stone in weight. My doctor has recently switched me over to the sugar-free methadone, so hopefully with exercise i can lose this extra weight.
wow, that is a pretty strong nickname you've decided on.  way to gain friends and influence people.

Kova
wow fool!
YES YES AND YES!!!!

I was on Methadone Liquid 700mgs daily, then decreased over two years...  5 Years total "Done time.  

I was 145 lbs before mdone.....  After 5 years I was 243lbs!  I craved sugar constantly, and between that and the 'done itself I am currently undergoing thousands of dollars to restore my teethe.

Since coming off the 'done and starting suboxone.....  I stopped 'done 6 months ago and without working out or changing my eating habits much I have lost 93 pounds.

That methadone is some vile stuff and I wish clinics would be honest with their patients upone intake.

Henry
i saw your post about gaining wt while using methadone and agree completely! mostly because you mentioned the edema/water wt gain as being your main problem. mine too! and it's severe. my lower legs are so swollen and they're rock hard. they're an ugly red colour and very hot to the touch! has it ever seemed to you that the really massive water retention gets worse when you become constipated? it's like being constipated somehow blocks your urethra or somthing, i dunno. i've found when i take care of that, the edema lessens, but not nearly all the way. i was in the hospital a while back and for various reasons they jammed a needle full of narcan into my arm --- i wasn't overdosing, which is what the drug is for. anyway, it sent me into precipitated withdrawal .. an withdrawal unlike any other and so much worse than running out of dope and feeling sick. it was really frightening and horrible to go through. anyway, while i was in the hospital i was hooked to a catheter and when my opiate receptors were wiped clean and i started peeing, it was like i'd never stop. i filled up two of those rather large bags with urine in a matter of 15 minutes tops.

i was wondering if you had any tricks for dealing with edema that i may not have heard of. this is my first post, so i guess i look for an answer here? will do.

thanks for reading,
izzyxx
Methadone is not the same thing as Meth which is methamphetamine.  Please do not make this assumption.  Methadone is a Rx drug while meth is an illegal street drug.
METHADONE DOES NOT ROT YOUR TEETH!!  Methadone causes dry mouth which can lead to tooth decay.  This is preventable though, talk to your dentist.
YES!!!!!   I have been on methadone for 15 months and was 120 when I started now I am 168 I am so miserable and embarassed to even leave the house none of my clothes fit anymore. I was always confident but not anymore I crave sweets constantly. I feel like getting back on oxy at least I was skinny I now it sounds stupid but I cant stand this. After reading everyones comments on this and other websites about methodone and weight gain I have decided to start tapering off. The problem is my husband is on methodone too and Im scared I will be tempted to ask him for some of his if Im craving to get high after I quit. But I have to remember the weight I have gained and hopefully I wont be tempted. It is very hard to control the cravings especially in the middle of the night also the water retention in your body causes you too look swollen. I was always small even after three kids I got back down to 120. So I would try subnoxen I hear its better but more expensive. Im at a free clinic so that wouldnt work for me.
The Methadonme clinic and advocates will ALL say methadone-the actual drug- DOES NOT make you GAIN weight.... its the fact that most pple are sooo malnurished, and are sooo used to NOT eating that when they get one methadone, and get clean....they start eating "normally" and therefore gain the weight.  I, too, was 120 pounds @ 5'7'', but Ive been on MMT (Methadone Maitence Treatment) for about 4 months now and weight 150.... However, I feel as though Im actucally eating LESS than I did when I was using herion and other narcotics.... I do believe it makes women espically retain water weight!!  Ive been really trying to drink lots of water while on it-I mean about 9 bottles a day, and Ive started losing, slowly but surely, some weight again... about 10 pounds.  My boyfriend was a football player when he got on methadone, he weighted 150 @ 6 feet tall... he was VERY thin... However, hes been clean and @ the clinic for 6 years now and has put on 100 pounds over those years.  He recently got kicked out and rapidly detoxed @ 3mg a day, out of the clinic, and although he was and still in in a GREAT deal of pain and torture.... the weight is falling off him.... but perhaps that is because his withdrawls include sever nausea, vomitting, and diarrhea.  I know I looked better before I got on MMT, however, I had a 3,000 dollar a month habit, and was VERY unhealthy trying to get oxys or herion...and having to sell it as well to make ends meet and feed my addiction.  So, I guess you must literily take in the good and weight it in with the bad.... Alot of pple DO gain weight... but they were used to NOT eating at all, and running all over town to get their fix...so, when they stopped that, they became sedemetary /w their lifestyles, and started eating... thus, the weight poured on.  I havent yet felt like working out because my dosage still isnt stable, but I used to before I became an addict.  I think thats also key to keeping you current weight, or losing, when on methadone.  Plus, if your 145 pounds of muscle, you look way leaner, and your clothes will fit you WAY better than a person who is just 145 pounds of fat.... So I suggest, drink lots of water to flush out the water weight, and start a reguar workout regime of cardio and weight lifting/body sculpting every other day.... Plus, workingout will help you resist temptation to use since youll be busy and have your mind active.  I wouldnt suggest getting off methadone, just so you will lose weight.... Yes, you will lose it.... but take it from one whos seen how bad methadone withdrawl (withdrawal) is-its a *****....even after months of not using it.  And then....there are still those girls I see in line that are still super skinny and on 150  mgs..... sooo go fig....But then again, they could still be using crack...or some other drug that makes you not eat.  I honestly havent seen a change in my craving for sweets though....but weight gain, yes.  But the way I see it, Id rather be a few pounds heavy, then be back to where I was when I was thin, I wont even go back to that lifestyle, even if I become obese.... But thats your personal choice.... GOOD LUCK everyone, hope this helps!! ~Lindz
I can tell you from my experience of starting at 30mgs methadone,ending at 210mgs. I thought I was happy for awhile.I was on it 14 years.In the end I went c/t and I swear I had no energy for a full year.It slowly came back.Ive always eaten balanced meals-I too gained weight and am still slowly losing that too.On Feb 8th it will be 4 years clean from methadone.I look back on that as my "dark years"Now Im having a problem with tramadol,but nothing could be worse than coming off that methadone.People who have been on it will give you the truth,others believe the ********-then repeat it.good luck......
any narcotic slows the metabolism and is a depressant, it slows everything down. so you will gain weight, If you are taking less than 50mgs a day you may not, when in pain management, you normally take other drugs or have shots with steriods in them. I stopped taking vicadin and lost 7.5 pounds in three days, so it does make you retain water and slow down your metabolism.
if your worried about all the weight u gained on METHADOWN wait till u detox and see how fast that siht falls off,  nothing like a good detox to get thin, i was thin all my life then got on the juice and put on 45 pounds, when i went into detox lost 50+ now i cant gain any of the weight back, but at least im clean.
I was at a methadone clinic for 3 years, and yes it does make you gain weight. The first 3 months i was there i gained 60lbs! I was not under weight to begin with either. I would also say that it does make you crave alot of sugar as well, but i dont think all of the weight gain is caused by the sugar intake. I have always had a fast metabolism and never in my life been over weight and it was impossible for me to lose the weight while i was on the methadone. However as soon as i came off the methadone the weight seemed to just fall off and at a very fast pace! I truly believe that methadone is not good used long term for opiate abuse and should be a last resort or for a short term use!
well,well,well...........  I  must be some freak of nature. because the crud kept me thin, just like norcos did too. and I GAINED weight after quiting a methadone/norco habit. the washboard stomach now has a little flab on it. my son whos mr baseball now is throwing shots at me,when we are at the beach. poking me and reminding me what I looked like last summer.but I still schooled his azz, catching him several times.  and I know why,its because I am trying to regain my NRG level. the pills gave me all kinds of energy,so I was actively crunching iron and doing  tons of work. but I am getting back in the hunt now, and it seems to be topped out and heading in the other direction,hopefully.
I think it is has to do with the methadone but also my lifestyle has totally changed since being on the program i'm eating 3 meals a day and in between but when i was using some days i wouldn't eat at all and then sometimes just one meal a day then i also worked to support my habit which kept me fit as worked all night every night and then what about some days all that running around chasing i was always on the go when i was using well the majority of the time. But for me i was putting weight on badly i'm 32 and on 110mg and i had to do something about it thought about using you know just to lose some weight ha ha just joking but now am getting into fitness i get my dose at my local pharmacy here they open 8am till 8pm 7 days a week i have a routine i go in the mornings then an hour or so later i go for a run i have to push myself some days but once i'm finished i feel awesome it's also a good anti-depressant i'm having a bad morning feel like **** i go for a run and i feel so damn great. I have tried detoxing at a clinic and at home and i've done the rapid detox which was absolute hell for me but methadone is helping me but what works for me might not work for you don't give up just keep trying and one day something might not work for you but the next time you try it does.. As for the weight you'll be sweet just stick to fitness good food maybe write down for a week or so everything you eat i did i was shocked maybe we're making up for all those years of missed meals whilst using......
no_misconceptions is correct.  There is a difference between methadone and methanphetamines.  Methanphetamines are street drug and rots your teeth,  methadone is not the same, and does not rot your teeth.

I have been using methadone for 3 years and have gained 40 pounds.  I asked to try something else, and the doctor gave me MS Contin, which is a long lasting sythetic morphine for pain.  since i went off Methadone, I have lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks without changing a thing.  Yes, I believe it does cause weight gain.  Use MS Contin instead. I asked for this change for a different reason.  The Methadone eliminated my ability to have an orgasm for the three years I was taking it.  Once I made the change, I lost 12 pounds and realized that the methadone was causing my weight gain accidentally. and yes... I can have orgasms again and lose weight.  I am glad that I made the switch to MS Contin.
I to have gained weight since starting done but at same time agree that a lot of it has to do with the sugary foods you crave....
One of the side effects of methadone is that because it causes a dry mouth...less saliva...therefore increase in tooth decay...many people on long term methadone programmes are encouraged to chew gum and drink loads of water to help prevent tooth decay.  My hubby gained heaps of weight on methadone too...he's 3 weeks clean now and is starting to lose the weight he gained.
the comment about methadone rotting your teeth is completley FALSE. the misconception with that statement is that methadone induces dry mouth, so the plaque on your teeth can not be rinsed away by your saliva. naturally if the plaque sticks to your teeth they will have a higher chance of rotting. so if you just continue to have a good dental hygene regimen then you will have NO PROBLEM. i know alot of people say that but they are just confused. my wisdom teeth are rotting  because i can't reach all the way to the backa nd they are impacted and at a weird angle so the plaque stays on there longer and the dry mouth makes it impossible for it to come off. so dont worry about getting " meth mouth" ( which is named after methamphetamine  users which smoke the methamphetamine and that rots your teeth, not methadone)  
Also everything that everyone says about gaining weight on methadone is very true. ive asked my doctor's several times but he and so many other doctors at methadone clinics are so sure that the only reason people gain weight on methadone is because they are eating much more and the opiates that they were addicted to prior to methadone wouldn't allow them to feel their hunger pains, so now they feel lkie eating more and more. Well i think that is true to a point, but honestly ive gained at lease 70 pounds when i started methadone. and several other girls i know have. my boyfriend on the otherhand hasnt gained a single pound. i think it mostly effects women, but not always. it just depends on who you are. ive had a weight problem all my live so iam more likley to gain weight easier. anyways i hope it is true that when you cut back on the methadone that the weight will come off. ive lowered my dose and everyone says that i have started to loose weight. i personally havnt noticed but i am just starting to ween so hopefuly this will work, the sugar cravings are my weakness though. has anyone taken or heard of Vitadone?! Ive heard alot about it and i really want to try it. apparently it cuts sugar cravings and helps with constipation and other methadone side effects. however some say it works and some don't. also, it is aparently expensive so im not sure if id like to take a chance on someting that isnt going to work. if anyone has any other advice id love to hear it!
I have a friend that had been on methadone for about two years.  She has gained about 50lbs. all in her rear, hips, & thighs.  I have seen her gain weight before when she was drug free and she never gained it like she has while on methadone, The weight seemed to re-distribute differently when she gained it on methadone.  Perhaps it's because of the sweets craving, who knows.  All I know was I was shocked to see how much weight she had gained and were she had gained it.  She also lost her entire chest while doing drugs, she went from a large "C" cup to an "A" cup.  I assumed when she gained weight back she would reaquire her chest, she did not.  She is still very small busted but now has huge hips and legs.  I think methadone gives you cravings and could possibly slow your metabolism.  She is not the only person  I have seen gain weight while on methadone.  I have seen both men & women gain a bunch of weight while on methadone.  I think anyone who is looking to get clean of drugs should consider suboxone before going the methadone route, but that is just my opinion.  
I was the smallest I have ever been while doing oc and methadone...5'7" and 112 lbs and my body was in shambles.  I never wanted sweets on methadone....on OC, yes I loved candy.  I have actually gained 10 pounds since getting clean but I feel so much better.  I would rather be 125 and clean than skinny and sickly.  Don't get on methadone unless it is your absolute absolute last resort....the wds from the dosage i took, which was at most 20 mgs on the days i didn't have any oxy, were sooooooooo horrible and they lasted for such a long time!!  the wds from oxy may be intense but short lived.  i wouldn't worry so much about gaining weight as getting clean and healthy.  i think losing weight is a lot easier than detoxing off methadone.  good luck!
i have heard that it makes yu gain wight, i have never takin it so i dont know other than what i have been told
I was on methadone for around 6 years, I weighed 90 lbs. when I started taking it and after 6 yrs on it I weighed 185 lbs.. I had always ate healthy and even after I started methadone I didn't eat sweets, but I started putting on weight at first slowly and then after a couple of years into it, it started coming on fast. Therefor, It is not always that it makes people crave sweets or that you were not eating healthy before. My mother was on it for a year and actually lost weight, so I would say it depends on the person and also I suppose how long you take it. It messed up my pituitary gland and my thyroid, so I stopped having a menstrual cycle. My teeth slowly started to rot and I had very healthy teeth before I started taking it. I am only 28 years old and had to have all my front teeth crowned to keep from losing them. My doctor switched me from methadone to morphine. He at first gave me 2 60's a day but I was still having withdrawals and I was only on 40 mill. of methadone when I stopped taking it, so he upped my dosage to 3 60's a day and it's been a year and a half or maybe 2 yrs. since I stopped taking methadone and I still haven't lost a lot of weight, but now he has me on thyroid meds and I am starting to lose a little weight and 2 months ago my menstrual cycle started back so hopefully I am getting straightened out. If I could go back and change things I would NEVER of taken methadone, it was not right for me, but I will agree that it is right for some people. The bad thing is that you don't know until you try it and if it isn't right for you and you don't have a doctor to change you to something else then you are just stuck taking it or coming off it. Methadone works its way down into your bones so it takes a long time to withdraw off of it, I have heard people say it took them a year to feel normal again. To the people that keep raving about how wonderful methadone is, well maybe it was for you, but that doesn't mean it was for everyone. Unless you have taken the drug for 3 years or more then you don't really know what is going to happen long term from the drug. I just want people to be more informed about this drug, because methadone clinics do not inform people well enough, while they do save some lives (for instance someone that is on heroin and can't stop then yes, of course methadone would be better), they can also damage lives in the process. Methadone is not an expensive drug, in fact it's pretty dirt cheap yet they charge around $12 a day for it, so they are making a lot of money meaning it's best for them if people start taking it and continue to take it. I do wish everyone that is on it the best of luck.
I am sorry but I have to strongly disagree with you. I had great teeth before starting methadone, my dentists even said they could tell how my teeth slowly started getting worse and worse after starting methadone. He said he'd saw it happen a lot. It wasn't my back teeth that rotted it was my front top teeth. I have NEVER done any type of drugs (crystal meth, cocaine, not even marijuana) and the reason I was on methadone wasn't even for addiction it was for pain. I was on it for 6 years and I am living proof that it can cause your teeth to rot out. My doctor told me that methadone works it's way down into your bones, I did notice that my bones are a lot weaker now after being on methadone for so long. The fact is that methadone hasn't been around all that long, it was developed in the late 1930's in Germany because they were short on opium (some people say the Nazi's gave it to people to make them dependent on it so they didn't try to run off, but I have no idea if that is true or not), it came to the USA around 1947 and has only been heavily prescribed within the last what, 20 years if even? I don't think that is fairly long enough to know the long term effects it causes and if those effects vary from person to person. Everyone is different, so methadone is not going to work the same in everyone. My mother lost weight on it, my father can't even take it b/c he's allergic to it, and I could take it but gained weight and had a lot of other problems b/c of it. It might be wonderful for some and they might not have any noticeable symptoms from it, while others might have terrible ones from it. I do know that it did rot my teeth and I know a lot of other people who had it happen to them as well.  Does it happen to everyone that takes it for six years or more, I don't know, but I know it did happen to me. I can't sit here and say that people that say they lost weight on it are lying or if it didn't rot your teeth that you are lying, because like I said it may be different in person to person. There is no right or wrong answer here, so to the original poster who asked does it cause weight gain. I would say Yes, it can but it can also cause weight loss. You are not going to know til you take it for a couple of years.
I to have gained weight but deciding to go on methadone is not the easy way out a drug addict struggles everyday with our addiction however thousands of people includinging me---- methadone saved our live we maintain a normal life and have become productive members of society so easy no but a good way great way to stay off of street drugs yes a woder drug
im on methadone and i got ujp to 100 mgs and it does make you gain weight. i gained about 40 ibs. so now im coming off. i started working out in january and i was at 60 mgs. now im on 20 and after alot of running i lost all the weight. so it all depends on your dose. the lower the dose the easier it is to lose weight. but it does come down to control. i think methadone is great there comes a time where you have to get off. its only intended to be temporary to help you learn how to fuction again and live a healthy life. but if you do wanna come off it take it slow. figure however long you have been on it thats how long it will take to get off.
The liquid methadone is mostly a sugar syrup (they do have sugar free but most places dont use it unless you are diabetic) and due to the fact that you are starting off your everyday with a shot of pure sugar solution mixed with a lil methadone makes your body crave sweets the rest of the day. In the beginning I found myself eating a family size box of caramel & peanuts and several snickers ice cream bars during the day. I started taking methadone at 135lbs and now I am 195lbs. I was 135lbs for years and years b4 I started taking methadone. The liquid methadone will destroy your teeth if you do not brush your teeth after you take it. I made the mistake of taking it in the afternoon after I already brushed my teeth in the morning and it sat between where I had me bridge connected to my other teeth and the sugar rotted it away all day until I brushed my teeth b4 bed.
Heres my experience, i was on it for nearly 4 years, 120mg for 2+yrs and then 14 month taper to 9mg. Anyway, yes, i blew up like a fat pig, I have always been real athletic and underweight if you ask me (I am 5'8" and normally wieght 125lbs) for a male, but when i got into clinic program, some time into it, it weighed 169lbs!!!!! It was all in my stomach but i attributed it to being so constipated that i had 20lbs of stool in me (which used to make me throw up every few days since that was teh only way for waste to leave).Anyway, during taper and after taper and detox (i am on day 12), I lost nearly 50lbs!!!! Now for me, a 5-8 male, i look not good, all my bones stick out, i have been hittin the gym to try to help with teh w/d and weighed myself there and naked i weighed only 117lbs. This weight came off fast, my family kept asking what the heck is wrong with you, EAT SOMETHING, they didn't know about teh clinic.

Well another thing is the teeth, I used to have just fine teeth, brush daily, not so vigilent at flossing, but never missed a day of brushing. Im only 26 now and most of my molars are crowns now!!!! WTF!!! Am i going to have dentures at 40yrs old? Also, it isn't just from eating sweets people, I just got diagonsed from teh dentist with some rare tooth decay thing where my tooth is like a shell, it is fine on the outside, but x-rays show it is hollow nearly all the way through, how can a tooth decay from teh inside out? It took 2 docs to come look at the xrays to say WOW, thats wierd, but i didn't tell them about the methadone. Now, once my w/d's are over and i feel okay, i have to schedule an dentist appointment. One is for a dental surgeon who now has to cut my gums away from the tooth (i will have a really long looking tooth now with no gums around the bottem of it), so that then the actual dentish can go in and do a thing they call a deep extended crown or something, this teeth thing is terrible. Being from the lack of saliva or not, this tooth decayed from inside out, meaning it was in my bones, the exterior shell of tooth was okay. After they get my gums wide open adn tooth opened up, they might even have to do  root canal, at the age of 26!!! Plus more of my molars are crowns than real teeth now, WTF have i done to myself, try brushing a lot and flossing a lot, but in my case, it wouldn't have helped, it came from within my bones themselves. Pray for me to not look hillbilly by the time im 40!!! If so, i have been thinking about veners if it continues.....
     I am 33yrs old, male, and i am currently on 76 mg. of methadone.  I've fluxuated from 80 mg to 90mg to 100mg and finally down to 76mg all over a year.  I've gained about 35 lbs during this time.  I started working out about 5 nights a week for 30 to 60 min for about a solid month now.  I also changed my diet to where I'm more conscious of what I eat although I still eat Fruit Loops at night a lot.  I've lost a total 6 lbs.  Thats nothing.  In the past, when I was clean a similar regimen would take at least 20-25 lbs off.  I don't know what to do.  I think I'm gonna slowly ween down to a more modest dose and eventually switch to Suboxone.  It seems Suboxone doesn't cause weight gain but I'm not for sure.  Does anybody know?  Would love some comments and/or suggestions.
I have been on methadone for 3 years in November.  I was a chronic relapser who was out of options.  I never believed in using methadone to detox, or as maintenance.  I would go to detox and take anything but methadone.  I had a 400.00 a day habit, and things were getting the worst they had ever been.  My mother actually talked me into giving the methaone a try, but I was insistant that I would be just using one very addicting drug to get off of another very addictive drug, and that in the long run I would have to detox off the methadone too, and withdrawl (withdrawal) from methadone is way way worse than heroin.  I finally gave up on all the cold turkey and suboxone detox and went on meth maintenance.  Three years later I am clean and my life is great.  I would never EVER suggest methadone to anyone, but now I will tell anyone who has tried everything X's 100 to stay clean to gve it a try.  It changed my life, and saved my life because I was def going to die.  I admit, I did gain about 70 lbs., but I was not making healthy food choices or exersizing.  I started a diet and exersize plan in July and I have lost 41lbs., and plan to lose another 40.  I am addicted to running, and eating healthy.  I am living proof that methadone does work and you can lose weight on it.  As far as my teeth go, I do have problems, but I was a heroin and cocaine addict for 11 years.  I am 30 now and I believe the drugs played a large part in my teeth being a mess. To anyone who is researching whether or not they should go on methadone I would suggest that before you try it, try other things first.  I believe that methadone is for addicts who can't stay clean no matter what they do.  It is a HUGE life change, and only you can make life work, methadone just gets things started.  Someone asked me the other day when am I going off of methadone, and the truth is that I am  very scared of being sick again, and I am afraid that I will start using again.  I told them that I would stay on methadone for the rest of my life if thats what it takes to keep me alive.  
HI welcome to the forum.....methadone does save lives I will be the first to admit that
with that being said you should also be working a program wile on it both n/a and a/a
offer free programs if not most clinics provide weekly consoling free...but work towards
building up your foundation so that some day you will be comfortable coming off of it
I can tell you after living on it for 6 1/2 yrs coming off it was one of the best decisions of my life...it not ez to get off of and the recovery once you stop takes around 90 day but
life is so much more fofilling being narcotic free.....I can feel again something I missed out on for 6 1/2 yrs....I know you dont thick it does this to you but it does and you wont relise it till your off of it.....just take it frome a long term addict it can be done I had a lot of the same apprehension as you...they where all in vein ....im about a week past a year clean
and life is a beautiful place once again good luck and God bless.....Gnarly    
I think if you are gaining weight its probably because your enjoying food again! and good for you, skinny pale looking drug addicts aren't attractive.

As for the rotting teeth?? there is no more sugar in methadone than there is in 'Pepsi', do you get 'Pepsi mouth??' use a toothbrush 3 times a day! sorry for my hummer but it just seems a bit funny to me and yes i took methadone for several years.

If you are worried about the sugar you can get sugar free methadone, its actually meant for diabetics, but I'm sure they'll give it to you.
I've been on Methadone almost two yrs bc I am an addict and I have chronic pain, double whammy, but I talked to the head nurse atmy clinic, part of the weight gain is gettin healthy but it does have to do with sweets, so does the teeth, which Methadone helps as well. I've been on my dose for a year now and I've gained around 50 pounds, which thank god i hide it really well but I feel disgusting now. I have herd vitadone can help with all of the side effects but don't take or pay for vitadone when u cm get centrum senior for cheaper and if u look at the ingredients its the same. also, I've read quercetin helps with longevity of your dose lasting
MY DOCTOR informed me that methodone makes you retain water and IT DOES. When you go to the gym, eat correctly and don't change any great habits except for starting methadone for pain control and a year later your 40 lbs heavier.... its the METHODONE!!!!!!! I get very very irritated with uneducated people. How nice you've lost weight. 99.9% of methodone patients GAIN weight. So do NOT attack folks that are in pain and are not happy with the side effects of their medication. I studied this medicine up and down and went to professionals at Mass General  - THE BEST HOSPITAL IN THE WORLD and your telling me THEY are incorrect. I'm sorry sir/maan.... you get your facts straight, then, when you have something intelligent to share, we will all listen intently...
ive been on methadone for 2 years, before then i was 115-120 npounds and now way about 145 which is the most weight ive gained aside from when i was on anti phsycotic meds which also cause weight gain,i used to have a really high metabalism ,ive always been able to eat anything and everything without gaining a pound, but that certainly isnt the case on the methadone im also a sugar junkie so im sure that hasnt helped the situation. since ive been on methadone i find myself to be sick quite often alot more then ever before its very harsh on your system, it doesnt effect everyone in the same way but my advise is to seriously consider all of your options, i wish i would have quit the pain meds i was on at the time instead of becoming dependent on a much more addictive drug with harsher withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. if done right and slowly weined off its a manigable process, but a long one. i found it to be helpful pain wise expecaily at first but over time, like any drug, that effect wears off unless you continuously increase your dose. most people who go on this drug dont ever come off
meth mouth is from crystal meth not from methadone.
The term "Meth Mouth" actually refers to the deterioration of a person's teeth due to methamphetamine abuse, not methadone. Whether or not methadone affects teeth I don't know.

I know methadone will indirectly cause weight gain and tooth decay as a result of sugar cravings, such is true with opiates in general. I have also heard and that methadone slows metabolism and causes water retention (as has been said here) which is possible.

My friend has gained almost 100  pounds since being on methadone for just under a year, and he says it's because it slows his metabolism. He also told me that for a few months his diet consisted mainly of 3-6 liters of soda and way too much chocolate pudding every day.

My advice would be to skip methadone and go on suboxone. While it won't give you the same high that methadone does (especially initially) if taken as directed it will curb your cravings. I was on suboxone for almost 3 years (I did relapse 3 times, but I had to plan it out and stop taking the subs in advance so I would get high, which is a pain) and it definitely helped.

Good luck, and I wish you the best.
-Ian
Hi I have gained weight I am on methadone 75mls . Always ask for sugar free methadone as there is sugar or sugar free . I was on sugar which made me gain a lot and the sugar gratification is a worry since methadone I am a into v sweet foods my confidence is v low .
I have been on methadone at 75 mls for several years ,I insist on sugar free methadone as there is a choice ,that helps with teeth .. Weight . Sadly I was on sugar methadone for a long time and put on a lot me weight ,the sugar free is the best option . My conference has been knocked since weight gain I eat to many sugar based foods its v frustrating I walked miles yet weight only came off with reduction . Its not a race the main thing is not to be desperately getting money for opiates .
I've been on methadone through a local clinic going on 4yrs now.I'm an opiate addict,being addicted to Oxycontin,Percocet,Fentynal,any and all opiates.I started the Methadone program to get off all the other drugs and get my life together.The program did work wonders in that aspect of my life.The side effects from the Methadone I can do without.I've gained an extreme amount of weight,without any major changes in my eating habits.I've also got a heart arithmia,caused from Methadone.I'm constantly fatigued,hot,ill tempered,sick at my stomach,and I suffer terrible migraines.I've been giving serious thought to weening myself off,the program has worked for me, and I feel like my health problems are now out weighing the benefits.It's a very hard decision to make,I'm in constant fear of how I'll cope without the methadone.So if anyone out there has been on a methadone program for years and on a dose of atleast 100mgs, has came off and made it and is still able to function and be productive, I would love to hear about your experience.So far all I've heard are horror stories,would love to hear something good.Good luck to all of those that have or have had simular experiences.
wrong wrong WRONG!!  "Meth Mouth" refers to METHAMPHETAMINE, not METHADONE, YOU IDIOT!  Stop trying to terrify people. Methadone in liquid form does have sweetener and just like after drinking a soda or eating sweets, you should rinse your mouth or preferably, brush your teeth.  But METHADONE is not the culprit in METH MOUTH.  Get your facts straight, you moron.
Yeah, 10 pounds sure is a good reason NOT to get your life back by getting onto a methadone program, that is medically supervised (as all of them are); sure isn't worth SAVING MONEY; sure isn't worth GETTING HEALTHY and REGAINING YOUR SENSE OF SELF-WORTH; gaining 10 pound sure is a good reason to ENGAGE IN HIGH RISK BEHAVIOR, and maybe getting busted for illegal drugs!  Yep, Welldigger, you sure are one smart cookie!  I'd rather not gain 10 pounds and stay on whatever illicit drugs I'm doing!  Wake up hating every day, worrying about where/when I'm gonna score, how much it's going to cost me...yes indeed.  That's a lot better than gaining 10 pounds!  Cuz you can NEVER lose 10 pounds..nope, that's just impossible!  As for methadone being hard to get off...well, you ever not take your little daily 10-25 pills a day? THAT'S hard.  What ISN'T HARD is being medically supervised, taking your time, being in control of your dose, doing it on your own timeline, in a supportive environment.  NOTHING you wrote made any sense.  You are a fool.
I dont know of any other narcotic that takes 90 days just to start to feel better
and the medically supervised withdrawal is a joke designed to keep you on it another 2yr as you go off at 2mg every 2 weeks ya methadone is nothing but fun most people dont belong on it and you go in and out of withdrawals threw out your taper wish I never got on the stuff now I spend most of my time on this forum helping people out of this nighmare........Gnarly
I want to AGREE THAT YES MATHADONE DOES MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT. I have been 130-140 lbs since I was 20 yrs old. Now, that I am 31 yrs old I am now 213 lbs and I've been on methadone for 2 years now. I work out 3-5 times a week and I CAN'T LOSE THE WIEGHT!!! IT ***** because my husband is coming home from jail next month and went he went away 3 years ago I weighed 135 lbs. So,I warned him about how big I got and he says "I still love you" but Iam so disgusted with the way I look. Iam now coming off the methadone 5 a week. I was on 195mg of and now Iam down to 73mg. I still feel fine, but I CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT!! People say that after you are off of it, that's when when you start to lose the weight. Anyway, if I knew then what I know now about Methadone I WOULD HAVE NEVER GOT ON IT!!! If there is anyone out there who has been in my position. Can you PLEASE GET BACK TO ME AND REASSURE ME THAT THIS WEIGHT WILL COME OFF!!! THANKS GUYS!!!
See? Exactly.  This poster knows exactly what is what.  "Meth Mouth" does NOT refer to methadone..it refers to methamphetamine.  Also, if one gains weight, it is due to their body being starved of food/nutrition.  And weight gain can be offset by proper diet, exercise, & nutrition.  Now, having said that, I have gained a ton of weight - water weight - and coming down even just 2mls. has made a difference!  And gee...how nice too not to have to seek drugs and worry, so overall, yes, I'd say a few extra pounds is worth "it"..."it" being healthy.  Skinny junkie or chubby and happy methadone maintenance patient?  Gee, don't forget...having money to pay off bills instead of my dealers??  Yeah, I'll take the extra pounds any day!!
I was taking 80 mg a day of methadone and started tapering  2 months ago now Im at 22mg a day, and have lost 18lbs.  So I think tapering does help but I also exercise every day and eat really well
I don't understand why people taper off methadone on milligram increments.  It makes absolutely no sense.  You should only taper off methadone on a percentage increment. For example, It makes way more sense to decrease your dose by 10% every two weeks than to decrease by 2 mg every two weeks.  This way, it keeps each decrease proportionate to your dose.  Your body will be much more appreciaticve, trust me.  And yes, methadone unequivocally causes weight gain.  Doctors have no problem whatsoever admitting that certain drugs make you gain weight due to the drug's mechanism of action, but when it comes to methadone they stubbornly persist in delusion, claiming that it's the individual's diet and exercise regimen that is the culprit and has nothing to do with methadone's mechanism of action.  Of course, these are almost always doctors that have a vested interest in the monetary gain associated with methadone.  So if you have questions regarding methadone, you are doing yourself a disservice if you direct those questions to doctors/nurses/counselors who work at a methadone clinic.  Do your own investigation or ask a medical professional who is going to give you objective information.  
First of all no METH does not make you crave food or anything sugary, People that do Meth dont eat at all unless they force themselves to, & yes it is true about Methadone, Ive been on it for 6 years I am 5'2 & never weighed more then 125 in my whole life, I now weigh exactrly 180 lbs, & my teeth also just one day while biting into a wheat thin  2 bottom teeth broke loose, a week later 3 more bottom teeth became loose & fell out. Methadone does rott your teeth, so does crystal meth. Methadone is also very bad on your bones, it is an awful drug to be on & one that is Hell to get off of. i have yet to get off, & am seeking help to get off of them. but everything people say about Methadone IS TRUE!
Im now 23 years old, female, 2 Daughters (4 & 2 yrs old). I was spending about 500-500 bucks a day on Oxys, my common law husband and I (father of my second daughter. Both children were planned on) One day we woke up to a knock at the door, it was 2 Childrens Aide workers and 2 female cops. Luckily we had NOTHING drug wise in the house that morning or they would have found it because they searched our whole house. Absolutely everywhere. It was embarassing. They found straws and graters for pils and mirrors that we did the drugs on, tin foil for smoking the oxys. They called a drug testing lady in, she did a urine drug test on both me and my boyfriend at the time. Within an hour and a half of them knocking on the door family members were at our house taking our girls. This was the hardest day of my life, I had NEVER cried so hard. After the girls got taken, our drug problem became worse and our relationship fell to pieces to the point where I got violent towards him from all the drugs. One night I left him. I had been at the hospital because I was so depressed I wanted to kill myself, I missed the kids and had terrible guilt. When I came back from the hospital I packed my things, in complete silence and left to go live with my grandmother. I went to the Methadone clinic in my city the next morning. (I wanted to go on it before but my bf didn't approve and was very controlling of me) They put me on a waiting list to start and I had a month to wait. In that month my grandmother paid for my Oxys everyday. Just me alone I was spending close to 300-400 bucks a day of her money just to keep me sane and alive until i could get on Methadone. They started me at 20 mg, which wasn't enough so I kept using until i got up high enough that I could get rid of the Oxys. I started my first dose August 31/2010. It's now December, 15/2011. I just increased to 120 mg from 115 mg a couple days ago. All of a sudden my hunger has sky rocketed. I feel extremely starving all the time, even just after I eat a meal. Also my already severe sweating has gotten even worse since the increase. Because of the sweating im VERY thirsty. I was 5'3" and 120lbs when I first started. I'm now 175lbs. I feel like I look disgusting and fat but everyone else says I finally look healthy instead of skin and bones. I do crave sugar like CRAZY, but I haven't had any problems with my teeth, if anything it seems like they are getting better since I've been clean. I've been clean since November 22/2010, so I've been clean for almost 13 months now. I have regular visits with my girls and will eventually get my youngest back in my care, Im finishing highschool online and have a new AMAZING bf who has NEVER touched drugs, which is a big change from the people Im used to. Ive cut all my old drug friends out of my life,a nd FINALLY my life is sweet again. I'm happy, loved, appreciated, and finally feel like my life is worth living for again. Thank god. So basically, you can take from my story whatever you like, but I have to admit and say that methadone saved my life, literally. Yes it does have bad side effects, but for my girls, it's worth going through. I hope everyone can take something from my story. Peace & Love :)
you totally sumed it up, thank you, i am in the same situation been on meth 8 years and now coming off, im at 20 mls ( been at 185) and going down every week, I need to do this as its the last thing lingering from my past. I hope i lose weight when im completely off this crap!!!
I have been on Methadone for 2years now, and I have gained about 30-40 pounds. I use to always be tiny, never more then 115- but not anymore. I haven't really had any problems with my teeth (majorly). But I am noticing that my gums are receding, and I am getting cavities easily. I am not knocking on methadon- because it has saved my life (along with GOD). I would not be the person I am today- a good mother and straight A student- without methadone. I just wish that it was better health wise. My counselors are very supporting and are currently helping me wean 2 mgs every other week (I am not at 37 mgs). I started at 80 and have yet to feel sick. When I first started the clinic, I was never really warned about some of the side effects, which is kind of upsetting. I do remember another client telling me they craved chocolate all the time, and sure enough in time I did too. My eating habit is no different then it was before I started methadone, and I have tried dieting- so it is obviously the methadone. And for those who think that we are lying and lazy- just because your body is different doesn't mean we are lying. It is very rare that people don't gain weight or even lose weight. I am going to school for a medical assistant and recently have been doing more research on methadone- weight gain is a side effect. Another side effect is reduced libido. This means your sex drive decreases- which mine has majorly. For all of you who have gotten your life on track and I am so proud as is your Father, God. I pray you all continue to walk in the light and don't give in to temptation.
God Bless
-AsheyB
HI Candy it starts to get tuff around 20mg I found some vitimins that will really help the withdrawals go to walmart and pick up a 3 in one calcium/magnesum/zinic take 4 in the morning and 4 at dinner time this will greatly reduce what your going to feel in the lower doses good luck to you ive been clean 2yr 2mo off the stuff it a hard withdrawal but well worth it God bless........Gnarly
Maybe the weight gain is caused by the difference in lifestyle? Being dope sick and spending all your money on heroin instead of food is a good diet. Smoking crack etc. I used to be super tiny went on meth and did gain 20 lbs but I know its because I am actually eating now. I do yoga everyday and a 30 min cardio routine and have maintained a good healthy weight. I have had NO problems with my teeth although I do see a dentist every 3 months as I have a good job with a very good dental program.

Maybe the meth does cause some gain but I do think that it is the lifestyle change that effects the gain and I would rather be 20 or even 30 lbs over weight then a junkie.
i have been on methadone for about 10 months now......i have gained about 25 or 30lbs....and my teeth are starting to decay....i did not smoke meth or any thing like that....the only drugs i did before the done was o.c. and i snorted them and i always was thin and had beautiful teeth but after about 5 months of taking methadone i started putting on weight and my teeth started to chip and break off....i am sceard of quitting the methadone and i am sceard of being over weight and toothless.....i have really screwed up my life i wish i could turn back time but i guess i would rather be fat and toothless than be the person i was when i was on the o.c. and roxys....because my life today is much better even tho i have gained some weight and have a couple bad teeth....
YOUR FULL OF IT! I WAS 135 MY WHOLE LIFE AND I GOT ON METHADONE SIX MONTHS AGO  AND I EAT A ATKINS BAR FOR BREAKFAST AND LUNCH AND A SALAD FOR DINNER! I AM AT 182 NOW!! OH DID I MENTION I WORK OUT LIKE A FREAK! I ROLLERBLADE SOMETIMES FIVE HOURS A DAY AND I SWIM AND A TOTAL BUSY BODY AND I HAVE BALLOONED UP!
METHADONE OBVIOUSLY EFFECTS EVERYONE DIFFERENT BECAUSE A KNOWN SIDE EFFECT IS FREQUENT URINATION, I PEE ALL OF THE TIME. IF YOU ARE CONSTIPATED THEN GO TO SMOOTHIE KING AND GET A COLON CLEANSER THAT WILL MAKE YOU LOSE 14 POUNDS OF BLOCKED UP MATTER IN TWO WEEKS! ITS CALLED ACAI CLEANSE
EVERYONE AT MY CLINIC IS ON  HCG YOU GET IT AT GNC AND YOU WILL LOSE 1 TO 2 POUNDS A DAY! ITS BEEN ON THE NEWS THAT YOU LOSE A DANGEROUS AMOUNT OF WEIGHT TAKING HCG AND WHEN YOU LOSE THAT QUICK YOU LOSE MUSCLE AND THE HEART IS A MUSCLE.
A SIDE EFFECT OF SUBOXONE IS NOT HUNGRY! I WAS ON IT FOR TWO YEARS AND GOT TINY! IM ON METHADONE NOW AND AM SO SWOLLEN WITH WATER WEIGHT ITS AWFUL! IVE GAINED 50 POUNDS IN THE FIVE MONTHS THAT IVE BEEN ON METHADONE! I EAT 500 CALORIES A DAY AND WORK OUT LIKE A FREAK! AND THE SCALE WILL NOT BUDGE!!!!
b.s meth mouth is from crystal meth... Duh. it does definetly make you gain weight tho. been on methadone for  8 yrs gained weight, don't crave sugar, teeth perfect, and it saved my life.
OMG its so true, I am freaKING OUT but some what  relieved. I couldnt understand  why i was gaining weight, not to mention my teeth are crumbling. Honest to God. I feel lousy and tired but I force myself to keep up my pets , home and my disabled/hospice hubby. I have kept the same weight for years. (10 pds in a month, hell no., i am scared and damn mad.i was taking mscontin for 12 yrs. I have a serious spinal deformity inwhich causes horrible crippling pain, I had 4 back surgeries, rods break, rods fixed rods removed. I had both hips replaced and i now am cursed with kyphosis and also scoliosis 66 angle. I am scrared. What do i do?
Kelly age 50 cleveland, Ohio

I Have been on methadone low dose (30 mg) for over three years. I started it for chronic unrelenting pain. I Have fibromyalgia and was told it was better than short acting opiates because of it's half life, and better for me because I wouldn't be on a pain roller coaster. In addition when given a choice of drugs I was told hey, methadone works on anxiety as well so more bang for the buck as they say (I have PTSD/anxiety disorder).

I too started putting in the weight. I haven't been pudgy since high school and that's been 3o yrs. It started slowly, two lbs at a time. I was very upset about it and increased my activity til I was walking two FAST PACED hours home from work every day and jogging on opposite days. All to no avail.  I'd step in the scale and be two lbs heavier every couple of weeks!

Right now I'm 25 lbs overweight. I like others have done SO MUCH to try to lose. When dieting I lose weight about a fifth the rate of others and then I just stop losing. But upon eating a regular diet I just gain it back SO FAST!!!

I have never looked up what others experience because the drs say the weight gain isn't methadone. More than the gain I'm bothered with how resistant I am to losing!!!! It is si frustrating!!!

I'm now weaning off of it and hoping to reclaim the metabolism I once had when I'm finally off this!!!!! I'd LIKE TO HEAR ANYBODIES EXPERIENCE WITH WEIGHT LOSS POST METHADONE. does it come off? Also the disgusting clammy sweating wchich as much or MORE FRUSTRATED with.
Amen to that! That really does put it in perspective :). We are
Pretty weight obsessed In our world. Think of all the people who
Smoke because they don't want to quit and lose weight.

My situation is different because I am NOT
an addict and never have been. I commented on the 18th tho
That I gained weight steadily upon starting methadone low dose severe
And unrelenting pain. If u see my post, I was walking home from work every day but also I am an RN and was working on a VERY busy medical floor running up and down halls all day. I felt so out
Of control when I'd step on the scale and be 4 lbs heavier every month. I e NEVER had a weight problem.

One thing I do wonder: methadone helps
With anxiety and Ive had it bad my whole life. I'm wondering if myetabolism didn't change because I quit having a low
Level of nervousness humming all of the time. I think that to sOme extent nervous energy helped me stay thin. I'd also rather be 20lbs over than be the uncomfortable nervous wreck that I was

I'm getting off it now.  We shall see what
Happens. Ciao!
Tell your doctor that you're having trouble urinating and more than likely, he/she will prescribe you something called "Prazosin."  Take one..they take about 20-30 min. to start working..and peeing will no longer be a problem.  Also, I can't think of any OTC medication that will help you pee but the above medication will DEFINETLY help you.  If I was you, I would ask a pharmacist and he/she should be able to help you.  Good luck to ya!
Your are too funny "causing that sexy cottage cheese look" hahaha. Now about your fears. I can understand. I have missed my script fo xanax and have suffered a four days of withdrawl (withdrawal). It is not a good look. I asked how long the withdrawl (withdrawal) last. I was told, about 14 days - going cold turkey.

I was also percribed morphine and methedone at the same time. I tapered myself off of both. I did not suffer any withdrawal at all. This is my advice:  Week one (-1) pill per day for about two weeks (ie. If you take three a day, cut down to two - space them evenly, like every 12 hours)
Week two, continue with the (-1 daily) but add (-1) per week. Do this for two weeks.
Then, continue to decreese your weekly intake by one pill (When you reach this point, you have to retrain your thinking - Change the way you "budget" your pills. Instead of looking at them as per day, change it to per week, and spread them out evenly that way.)
Every two weeks that pass, decrese your intake by one pill - and spread them out evenly. You will soon be off! No muss, no fuss. Hope this helps
I have GAINED 180LBS since beginning it blindly 14yrs ago. A yr and half after starting I asked prescribing Dr.--he LAUGHED AT ME AND SAID 'OH, HONEY ITS'S HARDER TO GET THAN HEROIN'! So here I a at 40!!! depressed, fat and pain STILL rules my lie...don't take it if it makes you gain--its a crazy circle....good luck.

SAM
BTW...although methadone can cause tooth decay by drying out the mouth, the tem "meth mouth" comes from the use of methampetamine, not methadone. Using methadone usually causes weight gain because of the nearly irresistable sugar cravings that it causes, I've gained 60 lbs. since I've started, although I was only around 100 lbs. at that time. If you excercise and eat right, then you shouldn't have any problems with weight gain.
hey i am on methadone now and been for 3 years. it does make you gain weight. i was always a smaller girl and i gained 70 pounds but am not fat. Now i have been slowly getting off of it and doing well. As i been coming off of it, the weight has been melting away very quickly. If it's your only shot at becoming clean of opiate abuse, then it is totally worth to give methadone a shot. I have never been so happy or successful in my life until methadone, though it may make some people gain weight, if you eat right and stay healthy n work out, you should be alright, and if not, when you get off it, it should come right off. Also for the teeth, it makes my teeth hurt and makes me grind my teeth all the time. Ever since i got on methadone my teeth and my fiancees teeth seem to have problem after problem. My teeth are very white and nice and i am not going to lose them, but my fiancees, i am not so sure. I would recommend if you get on it, to not go on a dose any higher then 60 or 70 mg. After that it takes a long time to get off of. So good luck and i really hope this helped you! If you have any questions, comment back and i'd be happy to reply! - Lee
Also, methadone not only makes you gain weight because of the sugar cravings, it makes you gain weight because it slows down everything that your body processes, making your metabolism slow down instead of acting normal, that is another main cause of weight gain.
Yes your right and my teeth are perfect too, i have had a lot of cavities and **** wrong and i grind them all the time, but they are perfect and another thing i think people don't think of is that if you were a drug user and now on methadone, your teeth may be ****** up because usually on drugs, people tend to let themselves go and not take care of themselves and i know i did so i know that's to blame for the cavities i have and few problems i have but methadone saved my life as well and i don't want people thinking it's horrible and that it shouldn't be used because it should and if it wasn't for methadone, i'd probably be dead or still on the streets using heroin. So if there's anyone out there who is hooked on any opiate and really wants a shot or a second chance at a clean good life and nothing else has worked for you, try methadone. If you are serious about getting your life together then i promise you it will work and you got to be strong through it.
meth mouth does not mean methadone it means methemphedine or better known as crystle meth thats what rots ur teeth not methadone. ive been on the clinic for 6 yrs and my teeth r perfect and im 54
methadone does make u gain weight a known fact but it dosent rot ur teeth. meth mouth refers to methamphetamine better known as crystal meth thats what rots ur teeth if u smoke it. been on the clinic 6 yrs and my teeth are fine and im 54.
I have been on methadone for 8yrs, I started at 99lbs I'm now 140lbs yes i have gained weight since i've been on methadone, my appitite has increased & so have a lot of people I know that drink methadone however, teeth are a different story, I think tooth decay & tooth loss is hereditary because my teeth were falling out long before i started using any mood, mind altering substances,so don't blame the methadone do your research...egb
Dear Tristansmama,

Wow, you sound pretty hostile. I don't understand why you are so angry about this topic... Just because you haven't experienced the misfortune of gaining weight from methadone does not mean that it isn't a side effect. If you had done your research, then you would know that methadone does slow the metabolism, and cause water retention. I like to be informed of all the potential side effects of my medication, so I sat down with my doctor at the clinic, and was told that the weight gain I experienced was completely normal.

For women especially, weight gain is a sensitive topic and I think it is really low of you to try and insult the people on here, and tell them that they are simply fat and lazy.  I weigh 130lbs and I am 5 foot 4. That is by no means fat, and I am certainly not lazy. I just don't feel particularly comfortable at this weight. I walk approx. 2-3 miles a day, I avoid soda, cookies, ice cream etc, and I balance out my diet. I also do 20 minutes of Yoga in the morning. I was very thin my entire life, always weighing in at around 105. Even when I was thin I still had compassion for those who struggled with their weight, and so should you. I doubt you would like it if someone told you that you were on methadone because you were stupid, and weak. That is just as ignorant, and condescending as telling these people that they are fat and lazy, and the weight gain is their fault entirely.

This should be a safe place for people to discuss their insecurities, and problems. Not a place where unhappy people come to try and pick fights, or make others feel badly. Guessing by your name your obviously a parent. What kind of example does that set to your children? That you should blindly insult people who are simply looking for answers to their problems? Perhaps you should follow in the lead of those you are patronizing, and ask for help for your issues. It might do you a world of good. Putting down the drugs is just the first part of recovery. Changing the negative attitudes, and behaviors is the rest of it. It seems that you're not quite there yet.
NOOOOO....meth mouth is from crystal methamphetamine! If you dont know for sure , dont say it!!!
HEAR ME NOW! IM ONLY ON 25 MG OF METHADONE AND HAVE BALOONED UP TO 200LBS! I WORKOUT LIKE A FREAK AND I EAT BOILED EGGS FOR LUNCH AND A SALAD FOR DINNER AND AM A GIRL AND AM FAT! MY STOMACH IS HUGE IVE NOW GOT A HUGE *** FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE! MEHTADONE IS EVIL AND HARD TO GET OFF OF!! DONT DO IT! EVERYONE AT MY CLINIC IS NOW FAT AND FREAKIN MISERABLE!!!!!!!!
You are the one that is soooo wrong, everyone is different and everyone's body acts differently. So before you get all on your tower get your facts right. WOW I HATE PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT FEEL THAT BECAUSE YOUR BODY ACTED THE WAY YOU WANTED EVERYBODYS HAS TO BE JUST LIKE YOU, GET REAL WILL YOU OR JUST STOP TALKING.
I been on the jug for 5 months now n I gained 15 pounds, but that is what I believe. That people gain weight cause they wasn't eating rite anyway, while they was getting high. I do grave sugar a lot n that is why people teeth get bad cause they start eatin a lot of chocolate n it f&!ks your teeth up.! It saved my life now I c why people don't get off of it.. It's the truth . Allah is Merciful!!!
I'm on it and take 75mg a day. I have been on it for about four months.  I have actually lost weight due to the methadone curbing my appetite.  I would have to say though if you are considering methadone, your weight should probally be the last of your concerns and you should just focos on your addiction first. Good luck.
hey maraBnD i have been on and off metherdone for the past 6years and iv noticed it gose on ya life style really because you dont eat propaly when your doing herion when you get on a methadone program it makes you put on weight because you start eating propaly and you crave sweet stuff all the time.  last time i was on methadone because i was still also living a bad life style i hardly put on weight.....but now im on a methadone program agian ive put on 3 and half stone =( and thats because im having three meals aday and also eating choclate and goodies on top but i cant help it im craving these so bad but im been cleen and just on methadfone for nly two yrs and still putting on weight it up and dwn so it depends on you and your diet and how you body reacts to the methadone hun hope this has helped you as coming from a person thats on metherdone if you need to jo out else let me no xz
I'm a skinny girl who takes Methadone.  Prior to taking it I was strictly on Norco for my back.  My weight is always a steady 113 and I'm 5'5.  Less than a month into taking Methadone with NO changes to my daily diet (I eat the same thing every single day) I started to gain weight.  I had to cut things out of my normal daily food routine which was hard, but I did it and I have got back to 113 basically starving myself while taking Methadone.

I was never malnourished prior to taking Methadone since I've never done Heroin.  I was given Methadone for chronic pain.  It has helped tremendously, but if I hadn't acted quick as I did, I would have packed on the pounds.  I'm too vain to let that happen, so I pretty much starve which I did not do prior to this medication.

Now my doctor is in some legal trouble for over prescribing so he is eliminating Methadone from his pain patients.  I was just prescribed 100mg MS Contin 2 X daily.  I have never taken as much Methadone as I get prescribed so I have hundreds left over so I haven't had to switch to MS just yet, but I will have to at some point.  I hope that I can go back to prior eating habits which were AM- Bowl of bran flakes with bananas. No sugar added than a coke to drink.  Lunch- Chocolate Chip Granola Bar with a Coke to drink.  Dinner- Chicken or Pork with veggie on the side.  This is what I ate when I only took Norco.  After the switch to Methadone, I can only eat dinner (just a chicken breast.  No side dish) and have 1 coke per day just to stay at 113 where I was before the Methadone.  What I'm saying is YES it absolutely makes you gain weight even to the most disciplined person who eats the same thing daily.  I hope this MS Contin will combat the pain, with little to no Methadone withdrawal and give me the ability to eat again.  It's been 3 years of starvation.  Anyone who says that if you gain you must be eating more sweets or doing something wrong is full of it!  It makes you gain weight, so you have to decide to either cut back your normal diet or just pack on the pounds.  
Not everyone who is taking Methadone is addicted to Heroin.  I've never touched Heroin in my life.  If you are prescribed it for pain, I would really consider maybe not taking it because it seems to be hell to come off of and it does make you gain weight.  Gaining weight means increased pain. It's original purpose was for chronic pain, but then they found it helped with Heroin withdrawal.  I never admit to anyone that I take this med because most everyone will assume that at some point I must have done heroin.  It's unfortunate that Methadone is labeled this way.  Anyone who is prescribed it for pain needs to weigh the the risks with the benefits because gaining weight is horrible for anyone who is combating pain!
Listen, I have been on methadone for about 4 years. I was always pretty thin. About 130 lbs. I skyrocketed up to 190!!! Didn't change eating habits. Always ate healthy, exercised, watched sugar intake. It didn't matter. I am by no means LAZY and to say so is frankly insulting. Methadone does make you gain. It slows your metabolism. It's not to say everyone on Methadone gains, they don't... BUT MOST DO!! I am now down to 12mg from 120mg and have been steadily losing ever since. I don't know what the answer is, but my suggestion would be to exercise MORE on methadone and eat healthier than your used to. Just step everything up. Methadone changes your body chemistry so your habits have to change along with it if you want to maintain your figure.
I gained 50 lbs on methadone. I eat only 20 carbs a day and no more than 1500 calories a day and run 2 miles 5 days a week. I cannot drop below 160 no matter what I do. I am weaning off methadone now and am at 4 mgs. It was not hard to do at all. It gets you away from street drugs long enough to get your life together. My metabolism has slowed down so much on methadone. Can't wait to be off and down to 0mg.
im in exactly the same situation i was aways 120-130 , on dope 90-110 when i got on meth i thought id get back to what i was normally and i was so upset because ive always had a weight problem always wanting to be really thin, i was really happy when i was on heroin i mean i hated being sick and i ran out of money so i got on methadon and it makes me lazy fat and sweaty!! to be honest in my personal situation my life and mind were so much better on dope and that is really sad but true. it *****.
That is very incorrect.  Methadone attaches to the same receptor sites as sugar and alcohol.  You do crave sugar from the methadone and it is not an excuse.  
Actually methadone is known to cause dry mouth which lets bacteria run rampant and as a result people begin to suffer with tooth decay.  Many others claim methadone causes sugar cravings which also contribute to the tooth decay.
why are you assuming that your experience is the same everyone else should have?  You also assume that people are making poor nutritional choices in their diets if they gain weight. You also assume everyone on methadone is taking it after using drugs, also not true.
Taking methadone for pain relief is quite common.  Getting dry mouth from methadone is also common which lets bacteria run rampant. Metabolism also comes into play. Because everyone's body is different it would be safer to assume that possibly all the discussed side effects are possibilities. Side effects are only experienced by a percentage of the users.....they are not mandatory.
The term "meth mouth" refers to people on METHAMPHETAMINES, not methadone...the chemicals in methamphetamines DO rot your teeth, whereas methadone increases saliva production, which can lead to an increase in the bacteria in your mouth, which if not properly adressed through adequate oral hygiene can cause tooth decay. Make sure you have your terminology right - too many people want to associate the ills of methamphetamines with methadone patients because they never look past the "meth" part, as you have done, and its erroneous and judgemental.
Ok ppl...yes the methadone does make u gain weight....but that's better than the **** loads of drugs I was taking daily...which was enough that how I didn't overdose is a mystery....and yes it makes u crave sweets....but NO it doesn't rot your teeth out...did u every stop to think that maybe all that sugar u are taking in is what's causing your teeth problems NOT the methadone...and I agree with the person who said it makes you sweet because I defiantly sweat so badly now....so here's the run down....YES U GAIN WEIGHT, BUT IF U EXERCISE AND EAT RIGHT THEN U WILL BE FINE....NO IT DOES NOT ROT YOUR TEETH OUT...THOSE PPL NEED TO STAY OFF THE SWEETS AND BRUSH....and for those who talk about how bad methadone is for your body...I don't guess the HERION, CRACK OR HUNDREDS OF PILLS THAT PPL WERE TAKNG BEFORE WERE BAD :/...all things have pros and cons but everybody is different and everyone has different reason for why they are taking methadone PPL NEED TO STOP BEING EVERYONE ELSES JUDGE AND WORRY ABOUT YOUR OWN PROBLEMS!
Yes! Of course we are all different, but for the most part everyone gains weight from methadone.  I certainly have.  It also depends on your dose.  I was on 55 mgs and gained over 15 pounds in 3 months.
YES,  it  ABSOLUTELY causes  weight  gain, I  am  on a  program,  have  been  for  over 11 years,  and I  have  probably  gained  at  least 50lbs.  I'm  on  financial detox at my clinic currently, down from 88mg  to 34mg  in  less  than 2 1/2  weeks,  abd I  already  don't  want  sugar  like I  used  to. I  am  hoping  I'll  lose  it  getting  off. I'm  trying  to  switch  to  Suboxone,  did  that  make  anyone  crave  sweets?  Hope  you  have  found  your  answer and  best  wishes!
Listen, everyone is different, so please do not post something so judgmental in capital letters; this simply isn't the place to do that. As you can read, different strokes for different folks. There have been several people who have mentioned that they exercise and eat healthy and still gained weight, so take it easy.  I am on Methadone because I have Chronic-Chronic absolute NON stop pain in my lumbar region due to numerous problems.  I am disabled & receive my monetary benefits, but all people who become disabled have to wait 24 months after being declared disabled before they receive Medicare disability. So I have to take the Methadone because I have NO Insurance coverage & it is affordable. I got much more relief from the Fentanyl patch, however they are anywhere from $200 to $400 per box (5 patches per box, need 10 patch per month) I have gained 20 pounds in the past 6 months.  It definitely causes an uncontrollable craving for sweets & I had no idea why.  After coming across this forum & reading everyone's comments, now I know why.  So I can look forward to dropping my Methadone 20' when I finally get my Medicare coverage in 10/2014 and can go back on the patch, HURRAY!!!!  
Yes you gain weight. the higher methadone dose, the more you gain.
I live in Norway, and have used metadone for ca 15 years. I was a normal slim man before i started on metadone, and the first years on the stuff, i used 125 mg. a day. I was active in work and did not gain so much. After ca 3 years i lost my metadone, due to wrong people running the program in parts of Norway. (the abstinens of metadone is far more painfull than all other opiates, and last for much loner time.Noting helps due to the reseptor blokade of other opiates from metadone. and the blokade lasts a looong time) I started up again after a couple of years, but this time on Subutex. This beacause i would never experience the pain of the abstinens of metadone again. The Subutex worked fine, but after a year i was in a motorcycle accsident. smashing my spine, and ended in a wheelshair, with a lot of pain. The Subutex could not kill my pain, so i had to start back on metadone. Now on 160mg a day. and i started to gain a lot of weight, and a lot of water in my body.I dont eat sugar and fat food, and i eat very little. I still gain a lot. I know a lot of people who uses metadone in my hometown, ca 90% of them have problems with weight. Please excuse my bad english, it is not my language.I still have to say, after 25 years on heroin before the metadone, it is way better to be fat, than living the hell of a heroin addict....
Subutex/subuxone will not gain your weight like metadone. I know, i have used both sub and metadone. The sugar craving people are talking about, i think is some kind of substitute or longing, for a high again....
Well said :)
Myth: Methadone makes you gain weight.

Reality: Not everyone gains weight when they go on methadone, but some do. This is usually because methadone improves your health and appetite, and so you eat more. If you’ve been using drugs for a long time, you may be underweight and need to gain a few pounds.

Even though the methadone drink is not “fattening” like sweets and fatty foods, methadone can slow your metabolism and cause water retention, which can lead to weight gain. You can control weight gain by choosing healthy foods that are high in fibre such as whole grains and fruits and vegetables, and by exercising regularly. If you nourish your body, you’ll keep the pounds off, and more important, you’ll feel good.
actually ive been to many doctors and i was walking 10km a day and eating less calories then im supposed to in a day and gained 80lbs on methadone because it DOES slow your metabolism way down for some who already have a bad metabolism. I was discussing this with a doctor and he said there was no way i could have gained if it weren't for methadone in fact with my lack of money to only eat one meal a day and walk to the doctor for my chronic foot pain from walking and pharmacy on a daily basis which was a 3hr walk for only that never mind everything else i had to do in a day. So just saying you shouldn't jump to the conclusion that we are all lying pigs with bad eating habits and lazy behaviors.  Also, i am now on 9mg and have lost 40lbs and i have not changed how much i eat or what i eat and the more i lower the more i lose. In fact when i stay at a dose for a period of time because my body needs a break from lowering constantly my weight loss stops and i plateau until i lower again. Basically depending on your metabolic state to begin with it can make you gain weight. It truly depends on the person!
Why would you act like you are right and everyone else is wrong..????  That is wonderful that you are doing well on it without any side effects, but there are TENS OF THOUSANDS of people who ARE experiencing a lot of weight gain as well as dental problems. I am finding that the dental problems are really from the dry mouth people get from taking methadone, and the bacteria one gets from dry mouth because of dry mouth.
But the weight gain IS real from taking methadone....What I am seeing from researching this is that the majority of the people who get the weight gain are on pill form methadone taken for pain...not liquid methadone taken for opiate addiction. Of course there are some people getting weight gain from the liquid form, but the main thing is that people are simply trying to see what they can do to lose it.
Personally, I have gained 50 lbs in the 7 years I have been on methadone for pain, and I have tried many ways to lose it but to no avail. I tried Nutri-system, Plexis, as well as some of the new fangled pills such as Garcinia Cambogia. I believe in my heart and soul that methadone screws with our metabolism, but I am not a doctor. But if you want to know the truth, doctors don't even know why this side effect does happen, but the tens of thousands of people complaining are NOT all wrong!  
So please, as the old saying goes....If you can't say anything nice, then don't say nothing at all.
It's nice to see that someone doesn't have these horrible side effects like others do. I wish we all could feel that way.
Bless You,
R
I have struggled with addiction for many years outs been an ugly battle. ..i was in methadone 12 years ago. .. did it cold turkey something I would never ever do again.. But sadly I've  relapsed 2 years ago got down to 8mls looKed great. .. relapsed now I'm 55 mls and I'm going to go down 2mls at a time. ...I hate methadone. .. the ONLY WAY TO LOSE THE WEIGHT IS TO GET OFF THE METHADONE COMPLETELY! !!! I've tried it all it's the only thing that works gals:(bestof luck. . God bless
That's funny! I've been on it for a year and have been walking or running about 4 or more miles a day and am continuously dieting.I have put on 30lbs.in spite of this. Of course ur eating better when ur not doing drugs,but everyone isn't lazy like ur saying. I mean commen  sense  tells u that if people who are using suboxone instead of opiotsarent gaining **** but everyone around u that is on methadone blows up like a house, gee why do you think that is???? My doctors tried to tell me the same thing,but they have to tell u that, they can't exactly say differently bc ALOT of people would then get off of it and end up where they were b4. Can u say lawsuit! I'm def.not saying its bad BC I prob.couldn't live without it,but don't keep raising ur dose like I did,BC the higher u go the more weight ur gonna gain. Try and stay on the lowest mg.that u can and u won't gain a lot.
YES! YES! & YES!! I went from about 110 to about 190!! The only straight answer is it destroys your metabolism! I kept the same eating habits I had all my life & gained & gained. Now I am dying to lose weight & started the Atkins Diet, which I did once when I was just a social drinker no other vices. The 1st time I did this diet I dropped 20 lbs in 2 weeks, this time I;m on methadone & it's been about 3 wks or more & I've barely lost 10! One thing I remind myself though is that I wouldn't have my daughter if I was a skinny junkie, better to have her w/ me & be a good Mom & fat than the alternative!
Good Luck!
Educate yourself on this medication and its side effects before posting your opinion.  Methadone causes your body to retain water  and slows your metabolism. Why do you think people immediately lose the excess weight once they cease the medication. There are many people who have used drugs but functioned the same (i.e. eating habits, exercise etc.) while getting high and after being "clean", myself included.  In addition you stated you have been on this medication for only a year.  Your still in the toddler league sweetie, post your dose and weight in another couple of years when you're opinion may actually count,  then re-read your uneducated post to see how stupid you sound.