Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Drug interraction between Methadone and Paxil

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been on Methadone maintenance for almost 3 years and have abstained from all other drugs and alcohol.  I have been experiencing feelings of depression and feeling overwhelmed and would like to try an anti-depressent.  I took Paxil, briefly while in College.  I had a good result and remember no sexual side effect.  Is there a negative reaction when Methadon and Paxil are mixed?  Will it show up on a drug screen?  If Paxil isn't an anti-depressent I want to consider, is there another one that I should discuss with my physician?
Tags: Addiction
i worked on one of the phase three clinical drug trials on paxil (paroxetine) back in 91... the drug was shown to be effective and safe. what wasn't known at that time by us researchers was that SSRI's have there own set of withdrawls symptoms (discontinuation syndrome) and can be very difficult to come off of. paxil appears to be the worst to come off of so if i were you (which i am not!) i would look into taking another SSRI or another class of AD. i switched from paxil to prozac b/c i had planned to discontinue the prozac which would be easier than discontinuing the paxil b/c prozac has a longer half life... so anyhow...

good luck with whatever choices you make and i am sure the doc will pop in here and answer your question as to whether it is contraindicated while on methadone!!

peace,

amber
Methadone and Paxil are fine to take together.  This is a good site to check out:  http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs
I also looked elsewhere and found no interactions anywhere else.
Hello all. I appologize for inturrupting this thread, but does anyone know why i can't post a new topic?? I have never been able to, it always says it has reached the daily limit. There are only two posts today!!
What is the trick to posting a new topic?
Thanks,
Thomas
Best to try between 830 am and 11 am eastern time,
in order to post a question

peace!!!!!!!!!!hippy
Dear plumpkin:

I neglected to state that there is no listed contraindication to Paxil in Methadone maintenance to my knowledge
come play with us on the other board! email me at: ***@****  doc, you are welcome there too!!! but i know you are busy as it is!!!

peace,

amber
I've worked in a methadone clinic for a little over 2 years. Paxil seems to be the most prescribed drug for patients at my clinic who are seeing local psychiatrists.I've never heard of anyone complaining about the combination. (For what it's worth.)
In what capacity did you or do you work at the clinic?
I have been working as a counselor/case manager at this methadone clinic for a little over 2 years. Before that, I was working as a substance abuse counselor, mostly outpatient, since 1989. Why would you like to know?
Your question on the other thread about what would help withdrawal off of methadone lead me to ask that question.  And, it causes me concern to see a counselor from a methadone clinic asking such a question.  If you were just the person who checks people in and takes payment, then I wouldn't think twice.
Hi, Thanks for answereing my question. Yes, it is a problem for me too that we don't cirulate more good advice to our patients when they are trying to detox. I mean, the nurses and most everyone else, remcommends "very very slowly" to everyone, but other than that, they sort of mention diet and excerise. and that's about it. It is of much concern to me, because I want to see my patients succeeding when they get off the clinic. Not that I have a huge objection to some of those old-times being on methadone for life, except for the amount of money it costs everyone. Because I think an addiction brain is an addicted brain, and the right amount of opiates make the addicted brain a normal brain. Methadone is good because it takes you through the day. But the younger people - well, everyone really - why should they be on methadone the rest of their lives? Anyway, there's so much more to say, however, I can say it later. Can you really feel "yourself" after getting off methadone after being on it for months or years?

It is neat for me to read other points of view on these subjects. Regarding my clinic not seeming very wise, I don't want to seem cynical, but I've wondered. The answers I've gotten when inquring about more extensive information about withdrawal, comes down to, "Everybody's different." I respect my clinic a lot and I think it is ethical and fair, and I myself feel proud of the work I do, doing counseling and therapy with them - over a longer period of time than one usually gets a chance to do. I've seen some wonderful changes in people.

I hope you guys won't be mad to hear that a methadone counselor doesn't know everything about methadone, and won't turn me into some kind of a whipping post (those of you who don't like Methdadone.)

PS, I tried to post a question this morning 5/31/03 at 7 past 12:00 midnight, and it said they were all filed up. Go figure.

I have no intentions of whipping you.  That is not my style.  But, I do think it is disturbing for a methadone clinic counselor to not know methadone like the back of their hand.  That would include getting off of it.  In all honesty, you are the one who should be fielding questions, not asking them.  It is cool you are making an effort to learn.  I do applaude you for that as a lot of counselors could give half a ****.  I am a mmt patient, so I know how it goes.  I have no disrespect for you.  I was just being honest in that I feel someone in your position should know it all about getting off of methadone, that's all.

As Hippee mentioned above, it is best to try and post questions around 8:00 till 11:00 am Eastern.  There is a two question per day max(usually), except sometimes weekends will vary(sometimes only one or none at all).

percs
Yes, I agree with that, I SHOULD know all that. Since I don't, that's why I'm asking. My clinic seems to hire good sensitive, creaative, intelligent educated people, often with no addictions themselves, and lets them learn on the job. Life is full of people who are learning the jobs they are doing, I have found! But I Really Do want to help my patients with withdrawal, especially from 10 mg on down to getting off, and the next few weeks after that. I can't seem to get my own question going, so anyone who has any personal experience to share with me about what helped them, I would be Most Grateful for! Maybe I'll get my own question sometime.
BUT!!!  On Thursdays it is best to post between 3:00 AM and  3:02 AM  Greenwich time  but you may ONLY use lower case letters during that time.....and make sure you have a Mets hat on backwards while chewing Juicy Fruit....Mondays:  FAGGEDABOUDIT.   Fridays are the one day you may get to post, but of course, I'm not talking about THIS forum.......LOL

Oxic----How the hell ARE you??  I'm going through Canuck withdrawl (withdrawal) here.........:-)
I'm speechless.
LMAO

...It's move day!!!!
Just having my coffee and off we go.........yeha.

Appears i'm in the penalty box, above.

You remember my friend with the liver/kidney deal a while back; well this week he woke up one morning coughing up large volumes of blood........another trip to ER, found blood clotting in his lungs and pneumonia.  He is on the mend again.  Another crazy week.

I hope you are having a great weekend; and maybe we should break the "silence" this week???

I'll mail u en la manana.
Oh My God! I can't beieve this place,  God, GET A ROOM howabouit!
LOL JK Oh I forgot I already have one! Excuse me
well, my friend, that was ******* depressing! But profound in a tragi-canadian sort of way.

Seriously, those are images that will last for good or ill. Better they help sustain your recovery.

Give my regards to that hotty!

Thomas
Thanks for watching my back. Groupies are one thing I am usually watching for, but this?????????????? Man, watup wit dat?
I guess we'll have to add 'Canadian' to our vocabulary now! LOL
I hope all is well in the north.

So sorry to hear about your buddy. I hope everything works out for him. It is hard to hear stories like that and just wish that there was something you could do to ease the pain.

Chezzz
Hey Guys, I'm just clearing space so we can have that Reunion(or Union i guess) this summer.  

Chezz, thanks for the kind words!  Everything up here is cruising along.  My buddy has been through more than most people will ever go thru, and he still doesn't *****.  He is a tough mother ******, so i'm sure he'll pull through.
MIL is doing well, and as of right now....in her own apartment and working up here....waiting for her immigration to go thru.
Sober just over 7 months for her!!!

Still dealing with my buddys' estate "stuff", and that seems to pull me down every time,but trying to move forward.

I hope your hangin in my almost Canadian friend!!!  Always great to see you posting!!!

percs
(Don't say union around Peaz)!  LOL
Oh I am in trouble now.............
Percs,

You are a testament to those people out there that think they can't go on in life without the aid of opiates to "help" you get through the hard times.
You have been through the worst and still have made it through pill free. CONGRATULATIONS are in order.
I am so happy to hear about your MIL. YOU have a lot of involvement in why she succeeded, you should be proud of that. Cause I know I am envious of you to be able to help someone go from the depths of despair to recovery and beyond, all with your help.

Keep it up Buddy,
Chezz
Your last post was very interesting. I've been circling methadone for a while now, but can't quite swallow the whole clinic system part.

I'm curious about what brings you here. I apologize if I missed your earlier posts, but do tell us again.

Thomas
Chad,  i haven't said it here before, but it really gets down to something quite simple.

I have two images burnt not only into my memory, but deep into my soul, and they are: 1.) My mother laying in the ER immediately after she died, with cotton batton on her eyes(to preserve them...as we donated her cornea to two successful transplant recipients).  She had a pink fiberglass cast on her right wrist, with my daughter and neices freshly signed names standing out, in the black felt pen....exactly how they were put on two days previous. I remember holding her icey cold hands. And,
                       2.)My best buddy laying in the morgue(a couple months later) with 3 bullet holes in his head, and once again i remember how heavy, lifeless and cold his hands were as i held them to say goodbye. I just shook his hand 36 hours before that.

It hit me like a godddamned lightning bolt, that life is so precious and precarious. LIFE-----DEATH.  And way to short to go through it in an opiate haze.  Besides it didn't matter how many percs i took the heartache still remained.......but in a distorted manner.
So, that was it for my several year pill popping frenzy.

I guess the old saying that good things come out of bad, is true after all.

percs

Yeah!  That display of affection was an abomination!  And in a public forum like this?  Yes, get a room!
Damn.  A guy gets his MIL outta the way and PRESTO, these groupies come out of the woodwork.
Bill, I appologize for their behavior.  Simply unacceptable.

.........sorry, honestly didn't intend that post to sound so depressing.

Think i was heading more for the "if you are contemplating/starting to/have given up the pills(or whatever), do it, cause you never know what tomorrow will bring"  effect.

Percs,

I don't know what to say to that. And I don't think I will even try.
You are right. Life is short, unknown, and unlived while on opiates.
When my Mom died, I couldn't believe. Then my Uncle, and yet again I was in a daze as to how this could happen. I am 29. I should have been able to have years left to live with both of them. Yet in an instant they were taken.
It is four months now, and it still feels like yesterday. My Aunt told me that when someone passes on, it never really hits until the 4 month mark. That is when it finally hits that they aren't coming back.
Even though I am still in extreme pain most of the time and need to take my meds. I don't always. Even though I just found out I am up for surgery now. I WANT to feel. I want to get through it.

Yet in the back of my mind I don't think it will ever pass...

I am sorry to hear all that you have been through. In a wierd way I am sorry I know what it feels like...

Chezz
How are you??  Not sure if you remember me, but I used to post here along w/ Brighty, and Cin....under the id: annie....lol!
I haven't been here in a long while. We had a serial killer on the loose here in the South, and I was keeping up w/ that, and we had a pretty bad scare here on the forum too, around that time.....rem? spook?  Well, our serial killer is in custody and things will be pretty uneventful till the trial.....
Not even sure if you remember me, but I think of you all; often, and wonder if there is any of us still posting here..... I figured you would still be here, because you do a great service here, and I'm sure it's rewarding..... How are you doing these days?  There were a few others, but I can't recall the names..... One guy was very ill, and had some pretty bad health problems, as I recall, maybe the liver..... was it aj or shoot, I can't recall, but I wonder how he is?  Drop me a line or 2....
Angelica
Are you asking about Patrice by any chance?  I am still in touch with her.  I have a board with Cindi, but she has been MIA for quite a while.  I remember the Spook problem and I also know Cindi had brought it up one of the last times I had talked to her.  A serial killer?  That must be nerve wracking!
Are you talking about the cindi of the website called pain politics etc.??  If so, I have corresponded w/ her via email..at one time.  She featured my story under hear our cries....I think? She saw my intro into actiononpain......and wanted to use it.  I haven't been to it in awhile, and not real sure if it's still up.  Anyway, I was talking about another Cin....... and I referred to A.J.,but recall him being JB..lol!  My memory fails me these days......lol!  and I'm pretty sure Tom is still here, but probably hasn't seen my post.  
So, You recall the spook days?? huh?  That was something else...What was your ID back then?  Well, gotta run....t/s
Angelica~
I remember you, but not details. . .was in early-mid PAWS at the time (January - spring 2001).  It was the first time I came here -- relapsed since then (of course), but now have 13 months narcotic-free behind me (for which I'm grateful, but I know it could slip away any time I get stupid).

I remember Spook. . .what a strange, unsettling character he was.  What eventually happened to him (if you know? just curious). . .BTW, not sure, but I THINK the name I posted under then was "Pelle" (for Pelle Lindbergh, a Swedish goaltender for the Philadelphia Flyers who won numerous awards and died in a drunk-driving accident at the age of 26, at the beginning of what may have been a Hall of Fame type career).

Always good to see people back here. . .and, selfishly, to be back here myself, and not dead the thousand or so times that, by all rights, I should have been.

Peace,

Kurt
Your stories (especially yours, chezz) make me recall a very similar time in my life.  I had just been married three months when my father (who was addicted to Tylenol 4's for at least 10 years, so I got my start at home), who was hospitalized for some heart tests, coded out (that is, his heart just quit) three times.  In the lack of anything like a Living Will, the hospital was (and still is) required to do anything and everything to bring the patient back.

So they did, three times.  What was left of him, anyway.

Since he was on a ventilator for the three weeks afterward for which he lived, no one knew just how much of "him" was left. . .but his heart had suffered irreparable damage and his brain was most likely affected as well.  As far as I know, he was clean at the time of his heart attack -- no credit to his doctor, just the pharmacy that finally cut him off.  Nonetheless I learned first about narcotics at home and got my first ones from my father, who I'm sure had no idea that he was doing anything wrong -- and who I know had to have suffered greatly watching me destroy myself slowly in the 10 years following his death.  Yes, I am spiritual (NOT religious, big difference there), and I believe in an afterlife, but that's beside the point for now -- another rant for another day.

Anyway, he was 67 and had been married to my mom for 46 years.  So, to make a long, incredibly painful story short, my Aunt Mary, my mother's closest sister and like a second mom to me, got a recurrence of the cancer she had been free of for SEVEN YEARS and died just weeks within the same year my father died.

I say all that only to say this: my drug use (particularly Vicodin, which I was prescribed for migraines) went through the roof during this time. . .but the pain would never leave, just be kind of "compartmentalized" for a (very short) time.  I will never forget being higher than high, almost to nodding, when visiting my father during those terrible three weeks. . .and still, invariably, have to stop in the visitor's rest room on the Intensive Care Ward on the way out of the building to cry.  In my mind I can still smell the scent of the disinfectant they used and feel the cold tile of the wall against my forehead as I leaned against it and cried for what felt like forever.

Sorry this ended up so depressing. . .but I guess it's something that needed to come out.  For those of you experiencing new grief, all I can tell you sounds kinda lame right now -- that it does get better, with time. . .but, for me, it's been eleven years now since I lost my dad -- and I don't think I'll ever be "over" it, completely.  Plus, Father's Day is right around the corner, and that's never easy. . .I try not to be too down so I won't spoil it for my own kids.  My prayers, as always, are with you all.

Peace,

Kurt
would someone please post the thomas resipe...i need the help...jack
Hey everyone! I thought the question was about the effects of Paxil and Methadone together. I can't believe how off the beaten track you guys can get. This is not the same support group it was when I started reading a couple months ago. Please don't ruin this- it has been a Godsend for me.
This is interesting, now that this forum is closed. I got here through MY name Huiler on Google!