Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Effects of Percocet and Oxycontin

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Effects of Percocet and Oxycontin

My husband is taking both of the pills listed above and is buying them from dealers.  It has been going on over 3 years now and has really gotten expensive.  He has HepC and I have told him how damaging this is to take these pills with his liver disease.  He says that he can't work the way he does without them because they give him energy.  I am starting to see the sudden outburst of anger.  Especially if I say anything about the pills.  Can anybody tell me what the long term effects are going to be for him and how I can get him to see that the pills are not really giving him energy and how bad they are for him?
Hello!!

Well, I'm surprised you didn't see the anger(volatility) much sooner.  That is something many of us have experienced first hand, and is one of the many wonderful(NOT) side effects of oxycodone, and opiates in general.   Hell i remember if someone even looked at me funny at the grocery store, i was ready to clobber them; and truth is they were probably just going to say hi.
As far as other side effects, well of course there is the liver which you mentioned and the kidneys.  Thankfully there isn't tylenol in the oxycontin, but the tylenol with percs is surely compromising these organs' well being. My very good friend, a percocet abuser, just got off a dialysis machine 2 days ago, for failed liver and kidney function.  He is an otherwise healthy 32 year old man. Then there are changes that occur to the brain, that in many cases can be permanent.  Some addiction specialists draw the analogy of an addicts brain to a person that has had a stroke.  Although recovery is CERTAINLY possible, the addict has to basically train different parts of the brain to resume normal function.  So clearly, there is a relationship to length of abuse and damage, and in turn recovery efficiency.
Then there are things like the continual stress to the GI tract, and ability(or lack of) to rid the body of toxins, since your husband is probably constipated all the time.  And one of my favorites that many people kind of forget about(since these things can ultimately suck the life right out of you), is the erosion of your teeth.  I think this is a result of the severe mineral depletion that results from opiate abuse.  It cost me several thousand dollars to get mine back to health after i got off percs.  Oh, and we can't forget about sex life; husband had any animal instincts lately(not trying to be too personal); probably not, if he is like most of us that get stripped of our "drive".

Now the second part of your question.  It is too bad it is not your husband asking these questions, as your good intentions will likely fall on deaf ears.  You can point out these things, but he has to want to change his behaviour first.  I am NOT trying to discourage you, but it is what it is!!!

In any case, I wish you and your husband the very best!

percs
Sorry, I guess i forgot to mention, financial ruin; as his habit will correspondingly grow with his tolerance.

I think you get the idea, a pretty lousy deal all the way around!!
IS SEEKING HELP FROM A THERAPISTS OR OTHER MD A GOOD IDEA. aND HOW DO i FIND ONE? I REALLY NEED HELP
Hi and welcome!--Many people on this forum swear by M.D.'s known as addictionologists (Drs whose specialty is the treatment of drug addiction.  I myself prefer to fight my demon alone with the help of this forum.  Please tell us about yourself--What are you taking? How much?  You will find so many loving and caring people on this forum that totally understand what you are going through. Peace and Prayers
This is my first time on the forum. I am a 36 year old male. I started taking Lorcet about one year ago. I am very healthy and never had any pain. I just take it for recreation. I experienced withdrawals for the first time about two months ago. It was awful. Since then, I have not let myself have withdrawals. I take 3-4 at night, hardly ever during the day. I know it's not too late to quit, and reading some of your posts scares the hell out of me. I have heard that it is best to not quit cold turkey, but to back off slowly. I have two great kids, a wife and a growing business and I know what I need to do. Could someone who has been through this tell me the best way to quit.
In most cases, it is true that backing off slowly is the least shocking to your body.  In your case, you should put down the lorcets, run and never look back.  Your withdrawals will pass quickly....within a few days.  You will feel like yourself again and life goes on, if you take my advice.  You should read all through these posts and in the archives and see what continued use of those things will do for you.
Get yourself a little immodium (if needed).  Maybe some valium or xanax for a couple of days to sleep.  Maybe some greenage if possible.  I know it helps me.  Actually, I won't detox without it.  You could take four one night, then three the next, then two, then one, and then none.  That would probably be best for you with "tapering".  Honestly, with the amount you take, that is the end of the taper for many.  Just do it and get it over with and don't look back.  You certainly don't want to join the club, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for your time and advice. Today is the first time I have ever been on any type of forum for hydrocodone and it really opened my eyes. I really only noticed the past couple of months that there seemed to be a problem. I never knew the dangers. My biggest problem is "friends" that call me daily wanting to know if I need any. I can't figure out where so many pills come from. They are everywhere. Yes, I always have 'greenage'. Since I started this habit, the 'greenage' has taken a back seat. I guess that's one good thing about it. I certainly don't want to be one of these people that take 10 pills a day so I will take your advice. I have app 20 pills right now. I'm gonna take two a day for 2-3 days and then back off to 1 a day. Think that will be ok?
Hey Welcome Here!!

The good news is that you are on a relatively low doseage, and for a relatively short period of time; so this is an excellent time to put a stop to it. (You did say you know what to do.....ie. quitting)

Two choices: 1.) Cold Turkey---gets it over with quicker, and you can hide behind a good flu story. After about the third or forth day, you should start feeling better; with the exception perhaps of sound, and a full nights sleep; lack of concentration...and generally lethargic.

2.) Tapering---(my preferred method, but prolongs things and can be very difficult will power-wise) At about 4 pills/day??, you could drop 1 and stay at 3/ day for four or five days, then dropping another pill, to 2/day staying here for about a week......down to zero.  When you get to 1/day, you can break them in half taking half in the morning and half at night.  Remember now you are taking them to help stave off withdrawals, NOT get buzzed.  There really is no need to drag this out too long, especially if there is a chance of eroding your resolve to get off them.
BOTH OPTIONS ARE OPEN TO YOU
Read through the Thomas Recipe(posted everywhere here), and specifically the L-Tyrosine/B-6 ingredients; exercise; drinks lots of fluids; and in no time, you'll be enjoying your wonderful wife and kids, growing your business further....all without hydro.  
Take Care
welcome, jb.
i think mr michaels advice is excellent
and he hit the nail on the head,
perc no mas was just as good.
get out asap.
peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hippy
keep us posted.
You are a very smart person so take the advice from the guys above. You don't want to come back here in a year with a 20 pill a day habit and in the shape that most of us have been in.
MrM hit it on the head and his advice along with Percs and Hippy should be taken very seriously. Drug addiction is not a pretty site my friend at all. You are at such a low dose now that just giving them up will be a breeze. A little flu like **** for a couple of days and you will have your life back.
Lets just leave it at this, if you pop back on here in a year all strung out and messed up I will find you and beat the **** out of you. LOL
   Good Luck my friend...........bmac the troublemaker
Thanks for your response.  I am a first timer on this site and
I have learned lots today about the effects of long time abuse.
I am considering printing out the info that I have read and passing it on to my husband.  Thank you again for responding so soon.  I was a little desperate today.  Oh, the "anger thing" has been an on going process over the last 2 years but I have noticed over the last 6 mths that he quicker to anger than before.  However he is not abusive to me or the kids just kinda flies off the handle.  I worry most about his health and the financial aspect of all of this.  I am still searching the site and tell me what does CT mean?
With twenty, you can take four for two days, then three for two, then two for two, then one for two....or any variation with the same concept in mind.  You are down so low that you will feel a little gnarly after doing that, but nothing terrible.  Believe me, with increased tolerance, it gets MUCH WORSE!  Smoke a ton and within a few days, you will be good to go.
Hey guys what is Trazodone, Doc gave it to me becuase I refused to take pain killers, or any other ****. He said it would just help me sleep amd was tottaly safe.I tried to look it up on the web, and found a pretty scary report. People die there heart explodes. But it states there is no addicttion possiblility, it would be nice to sleep but is this stuff safe??? Then there is a big warning to not stop taking this med without telling your doc??? I just want to make sure there is no catch, other than the (dying part) with this stuff. Doc said take it for a week and I will get some sleep I can stop it whenever I want.
Thanks Guys.
As for your question...CT means "cold turkey"
You have received a wealth of info, I pray that together with your husband's problem you will be able to get through this.
I can tell you from experience that having someone support me and understand (the best they could) was priceless.
Keep in mind though, this decision lies with him and him alone.
You cannot make choices for others and you should not allow others to make choices for you.
Best of luck...keep posting. You have many caring individuals here who are willing to listen and help.   Peace to you

Kilo
Your Doc was right.  Trazadone is a MAOI(bunch of big words) and serves as an antidepressant.  In lower doseages, it is quite sedative.  Like yourself, after I got off the pills was paranoid about taking anything for sleep; well my doc (that has been a alife-long friend) convinced me it was safe.  I've been taking it on and off for about 10 months, and am very happy with it.  It definately gets me to sleep(with just 50 mgs) rapidly, however it only keeps me asleep for about 4-5 hours.,, and I don't feel groggy in the morning.  I can fall back to sleep after i've awakened in the middle of the night.  I've stopped taking it several times with absolutely NO side effects.  I've read all the side effects also, but experienced none.

Hope that helps

percs
....sorry, i forgot to add that it took about 8 or 9 days to start working.
Thanks, he also told me to take 50m only at night, I was never a big sleeper my whole life anyway so 4-5 hour's would be great I will try it, I was more affraid of the male pattern baldnees side effect, I will try it and let you know, thanks again.
Sexual side effects are very common with trazadone.  It happened to me very profoundly and is quite scary.  I don't like anything messing with the family jewels, if you know what I mean.  It doesn't happen with everyone, but it is very common.  It basically makes for an unproductive ejaculation.....shooting blanks if you will.
I posted a message yesterday and didn't give much info about myself. I have been reading here off and on for about 5 months. The posts here scare the hell out of me sometimes. I have a habit of taking loracet and cough medicine. I don't have a good supply of any of it so I am without it alot, but when I get the chance to get it I do. I have tryied quitting before and it faile. At that time I told my wife and my dr because I felt that would help. After it failed I ended up lying to my wife and my dr. Thatfilycaught up with me about a week ago and my wife found out because of the money I had been spending to get it. So I fessed up to her. My dr found out I was going to other dr's and getting this cough medicine. So the people who were helping me before have been let down by me. My wife is still supporting me and that has been great. I always quit cold turkey but always come back to it. My question was would therapy help me with that or an addictionologist. How should I go about finding one should I go to my dr and have him recommend one although I am sure he is mad at me. I know I will go back to it without help. I want to be strng for my marriage because that is the most important thing to me and my career. I am only 26 and been married for 2 years. I keep making my wife remind me of why I should be strong. Any advice would be greatly apprectiated. I need it!
The sexual side effects might manifest themselves in other ways, but that is how it happened with me.  As soon as I stopped the trazadone, it went away.  Don't get me wrong, trazadone is an excellent med for this purpose.  But, you should know all there is to know and have your eyes wide open.  And remember, that happened with me.  That doesn't mean it will happen to you.  Many anti-depressants and anti-psychotics have that side effect.
Talking to your doctor would be an excellent idea.  Maybe he does know of an addiction doc for you to go to.  Or, maybe someone here has a url to post that might help you?  Call your local hospital and see who they have on staff.  Hospitals (at least by me) have a physician referral service that should be able to help you out.
Thankyou for that I will call the nearby hospital tonight. Is there a certain time when you just stop wantingthese things. The longest that I have went in the past year has been 2 weeks and I would always just start back.
Thanks for the words of encouragement!  I read some of your responses to other's questions last night and found out that you have a great sense of humor!! It's nice that we have a place to go with our problems and yet can still laugh(outloud) sometimes. Know what I mean??  By the way I did print out some archive stuff on quitting and gave them to my husband. He did not mention it at all but a couple of hours later I asked him if he read them and he said he did.  That was it, no further conversation.  Listen I have did the  CT thing back in 1988 with cocaine so I know he's gotta want this for himself and me fussing about it will never work. I just woke up one day a took a look at myself in the mirror(what a shock) and decided that drugs were not what I wanted out of life.  I was so ashamed that I had let it get so out of hand.  Waking up and having to face up to snorting $500 up your nose in one night(with a little help from my "friends") was a bitter pill to swallow(pun intended). Thanks for your support.
Nice to hear back from you...sounds like you've been down that road from hell called addiction. So needless to say you know all too well what your husband is facing.
Believe it or not, that's a hugh asset. Having walked a mile in someone's shoes pretty much gives you carte' blanche when helping your loved one. All I can re-affirm to you is to gently remind your soulmate that you will help him, help himself.
I have yet to meet anybody who has abused prescription narcotics for a significant period of time, who doesn't want to quit.
It's the classic law of diminshing returns...the more we do, the more we need and all the other headaches that go along with this.
I don't think nobody, me included, ever set out to become physically dependent or addicted.
Sooner or later the motivation to quit smacks us upside our head!
As you know all to well, getting sober is easy, staying sober is the hard part. So just prepare yourself when the time comes, that relapse may take place, if not once then maybe a few times.
Getting clean and staying clean is a process...it's not a destination, but a journey. Should your husband make that choice and then find himself back to square one, just gently but firmly re-assure him about how important this commitment is to his health and your relationship.
I can't say it enough...having someone like you who is willing to commit yourself to his sobiety and to wrap it in love, but loving determination is truly priceless.
You know we all make that commitment on our wedding day, but when the time comes to fulfill it is the true measure of one's love.
I don't need to tell you this, but some people never get it. They never truly commit to coming clean, irregardless of the support around them. That's the time in your life, that tough decisions have to be made. You can't scare someone into sobiety, but on the same note you can't live your life on his terms and decisions to NOT change.
I pray that it never comes to that.
You have already helped your husband immensely. Like most of us here, we finally wake-up one morning and begin to set our course towards a drug free life. "All great journeys begin with a single step...I think your husband is starting to put his shoes on for that journey.  Stay in touch and best of luck to both of you. You'll get there.   Peace

Kilo
All I can add to your post to not perfect either is---AMEN!
The only thing that I can possibly add to your post to Not Perfect Either is---AMEN SOUTHERN BROTHER
Thanks, dude, I don't want to loose my hair, or have my privates not work. You never know when I might need them. I think I am going to stick with the Excedrin PM and just suck it up.
I am on five weeks I think into CT do you think I should not be having aches and pains in my whole body still. Or did I start lifting weights to soon? I still feel achey (achy) all over??????
You should be feeling better at this point.  Working out will make you hurt.  I used to hurt like hell.  When I was growing up, my brother used to poke at the corner of my chest and arm because that used to hurt like hell for a day or two.  I used to get so pissed at him.  How much were you taking at your peak?  I would imagine the physical should be pretty much wrapped up.  After chronic use of opiates or opioids, there is sometimes a secondary withdrawal that can last anywhere up to six months afterward.  But, those symptoms are of a much milder nature.  Most people excape it.  Everyone is different.  What are your symptoms, besides the aches?
okay lost here , how does one get an answer to their post?  and is there any one out there that can give me some information?
Hey Everybody,
Just reading up before ending my day.  Thanks for the words of encouragement. Oh well I guess you seen that I got an answer from the forum.  Kinda of scary thinking of life independant from my husband but that was something he said I may need to consider(WOW). Well today there was a major blow up.  He says he's down to one pill per day(don't know if he meant oxy or percs) cause he was angry and we were not in a good place to be having this discussion. I know call these suprise attacks cause I never see them coming. You guys keep praying for me and as always I look forward to hearing what you think. My last thought on that one a day thing is I know how much money he has spent so far this month and if he's down to one a day the price per pill musta gone up. But I didn't say that to him, just you guys. Hope you all have a great day and I will say prayers for all.  Pray for our Troops tonight!
Thanks, at my peak I was on 3-4 injections of IV morhpine a day.
So about 80m which when run threw the Narc calculator said an equal dose of oral Percs would be almost 120 pills a day unless I am reading it wrong. I just get achey (achy) all over mostly in my arms shoulders legs and back, I did break my back 3 times however. I am not getting the burn you feel from a good work out
just achey (achy) strange ****. And my nose runs every now and then. No sweats or anything like I had when I stopped the morph. I also don't feel like I am going to die anymore just weak and achey (achy) and not quite my self. Docs want to fuse my lower spine and add some more titanium but I am to affraid of taking this **** again. I don't crave it or want it, I just don't ever want to feel that kind of sickness again.
What type of information are you looking for? Are you addicted to a mood altering substance, like most of us here? If so what and how much are you taking?  Do you want to quit?  There are many people here that will answer your posts--PEACE AND PRAYERS
NEW ORLEANS LADY
hey there , just ask away,
all questions wanted,
so what is up.
what is happening. what  cha taking and how much.
what do you want to do about your problrm.

peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!hippy

keep america beautiful
stay clean

I have developed a major problem in the last several months.
I have herniated discs in my lower back that will require sergury
to correct the problem. My doctor has prescibed Percocet for the
pain until I can see a nuerosergeon and have a date set for my operation. I have been on pain meds for about four months now on and off. Whenever I try to stay off of the medication, the pain
is too much for me to take.I am due to have the operation in the
next three to four weeks tops because my appointment with the surgeon is in one week.My concern is that I have become addicted
to the percocet and I don't know how I am going to handle it when
it comes time to get of the pain med after my recovery from the
sergury.I feel horrible when I am not taking the percocet and I
don't know if I can survive this.I just want my life back. Does
anyone have some advise for me? I would surely appriciate it.

I am going thru withdrwls from Percocet when I am not taking it
for back pain. how can I get thru this?
Hello; sorry, i didn't see your post till now.

My initial suggestion would be to get your surgery done with, and deal with the dependancy after that.  I wouldn't have had the resolve or the strength to get off percocet(20+/day for many years) until i took care of the relentless back pain that would continually grind me into submission; i also had two lumbar surgeries, from disc herniation(s). I don't think there is any reason to  suffer from the pain(and the guilt from taking the pills)
There are several pieces of good news to your story.......you haven't been on oxycodone that long(i don't think you mentioned how much?), and you have a condition that has been diagnosed and can be remedied by surgery.  

I've been off percs now for 9 1/2 months, and for the most part my back is now pain free........and couldn't be happier.
Just the fact that you are so concerned about the dependancy already, tells me you will reclaim your life also........after your surgery.  First things first my friend.

Please keep posting, and let us know how you make out!!!!!

percs
Percs! Whats up man!
How you doin'? Haven't heard from you in a while and just figured "da man" was keepin' you down.

Peace my brother,
Methman

I just found this site today...and hope that I can find help here.  I started taking Vicoden almost 2/yrs. ago for CTS...I had surgery last year...and have continued to take them for pain and for the high.  I only take up to six a day...and that has only been for the past 6mos.  I used to take only 4/day.  I have tried quitting...but I feel very sick...and find it impossible to do my work...and household duties.  I have a wonderful husband & daughter...that know nothing.  What is the best way to get off of these things?  I truly am SCARED!  Thank you for you time.

I'm glad this site is out there!
Hey! Welcome to the board!
At 6 Vicodins a day, you're lucky.  Still, you will feel pretty rough for about a week or two.
I'd suggest three things:
1. Post HIGHER in the messageboard to get more attention
2. TAPER (if you can)
3. Take a look at something called "The Thomas Recipe".
Folks here will post it for you.

Keep coming back, it works if you work it!  Boy.. if that ain't a shameless plug for a certain group. :)  (It ain't true, but it sure is catchy!)
Peace,
Methman
Hey Welcome SweetCS!!!
To answer your question regarding what is the best way to get off the vikes is, "any way"(i'm not being a smartass....just want you to accomplish the task); and i believe it all starts with wanting to!!!  As Methman mentioned, you are at a "low" enough doseage that you could either Cold Turkey, or Taper.

I definately promote tapering, by dropping in one(1) pill increments, and staying at the reduced rate until you stabilize(3-5 days), and subsequent drops, all the way to zero.  I also suggest that you do a mental "shift" , whereby you now take the meds to stave off/reduce withdrawals, VS trying to get a buzz.  It might sound unimportant, but it certainly helped me mentally.

I'll copy and paste the Thomas Recipe, which has some great pointers during and after your detox:

Thomas Detox Recipe

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

This recipe is designed for cold turkey opiate detox. It assumes that you can get about 5 to 7 days away from your job or household responsibilities during which you can sleep, veg and act as miserable as you feel. Opiate WD mimics the symptoms of the common flu, so, if you need a smokescreen, hide behind a bad case of the flu.

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (immodium) (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper and Magnesium.

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium (immodium) aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

With breakfast, take the mineral supplement.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

PLEASE NOTE: If you have any medical complications, first check with your doctor before detoxing to verify that this regimen is safe for you.

Most importantly, please keep posting......cause we definately care about you!!!!

percs
Also, aside from the Thomas Recipe, the originator of this gem provides an invaluable service that goes far and beyond his generous nature.  He refers to it as "Opiate Certification".
Simply pour any and all remaining Vikes into a padded envelope and mail em to him.
Once received, he will begin "analysis" on the contents and mail you the report of the product's potency.
You won't get anything back, but you'll be sure of the quality of the contents.

All BS aside,
Try to look at the good side of things.  Dwelling on the bad causes more hardship than necessary.  Hang tough, it does get better.  And after a little time, you too can be as full of **** as I am!

Peace,
Methman
Oh you have got it made if you just take your time and taper the right way. You are on such a low dose you will be just fine. Hang in there and ask alot of questions. And don't be afraid to post at the top. All this bickering will all be over soon so come on join us in this addiction hell and welcome!
                   Bmac
Hey babes I am way down here. I told you babes I like it better on the bottom! Jesus, now youz guyz believe me? Come on babes wanna come out and play?     Bmac
Just saying HI! It's been almost four weeks since ct!!! I am feeling pretty great.  No one ever responds to me but I just wanted to say thanks again.  I am having some cravings.  I can't believe after detox and then relapse and ct at home I would think I could do this **** again,  the mind if an addict.  I love AWW and am proud to currently be a survivor. I have used over 20 years and am a LIVING example that we can get clean.  Hope to stay there. Hope.
Well shame on us!!!  If no one responds to you I hope you accept my apology and I will try to pay more attention......Four weeks is AWESOME and I'm sure you're feeling more and more human w/ every passing day!!!  It sounds like since you went thru detox, relapse and now CT that you finally have your head in the right spot!! You want this and you're DOING IT!! So congratulations!!!!!   Keep us updated!!  Do you have any pointers to share that got you over the rough week or so?  Lots of newbies seem to have trouble then. What was your secret??:-)   Thanks for writing!! Peazy
Top?  Bottom? Oh, like since WHEN are you picky??!!
Anyway---I'm here and you are nowhere to be found....what kind of cruel joke is that? You must be w/ your harem.....
I have Bill under my desk right now.  He keeps feeling me up... PR
my fiance is killing her self with percs somas and other random drugs i love her to death and wish there was a more abrupt way of handleing the addiction shes two years stong on the pills and has a hell of a life history the slowing down dosent work it causes withdrawl (withdrawal) so servire she ends up in the hospital in shock what do i do
You've posted to a very old thread. You may want to post to a new thread to get more answers. That being said...does she WANT to get help? If she's not at that stage, there's not much you can do short of turning her into the police and hoping she gets court mandated detox. Is she getting these drugs legally? Does she have chronic pain? We can suggest ways for her to get through the detox and withdrawals, but she has to want it for herself, first.
You cannot make him stop he will choose his drugs over you 100% of the time.......

You need to protect yourself, if you have children get them away from him...........

Protect yourself from the demon your husband has become..........

I used hard drugs for 37 years everyday unless I was locked up...............

I left many family members victims in my addiction, my drug of choice was always #1
Its not just the drug it is what the drugs do to your thinking and emotional process..........

It is the distorted thinking caused by years of drug use that will always choose drugs before
anything in life....family, wives, kids, jobs etc...............

I am sorry to write such harsh words but sometimes people need to no the truth of what there in for.........and I understand exactly what your husband is going through and how he is thinking........

Sorry
Are you forgetting the dates again?  that person was from  4 years ago...
hello. I am having a difficult time. I have been taking percs sometimes, but the problem is my boyfriend. I have discovered that he has been lying to me for a year. He is completed addicted to Roxys and Oxys. He has lied to me about everything. He lies about his paycheck and spends it on bills. I made him move out of my house this morning. It is just so hard. I am worried he may die, but I know  I  cannot save him and we stayed together I would probably end up losing everything financially. I am just so scared. I feel that I should tell him mom ( who is now living with) but I know he will feel like I betrayed him.
hi. so - i have been taking percocet for the last 1.5 years. a few days ago i looked at my life and felt so ashamed! i thought that i just had to stop taking them and free my mind up with activities so i didn't think about not taking them - so far so good! it's been 2 days since i last had one and i cannot believe what i have experienced - hence my search for a forum like this! last night i was sweating all night, shaking all night in bed, tossing and turning and in a ridiculous amount of pain - what felt like terrible cramps down my legs and back. today i have been so moody, and the cramps are still in my legs and back. in fact, my back hurt so bad i decided to visit my chiropractor.....my point is that i had NO idea i was addicted until one day i just decided enough was enough! i am in so much pain, so much misery and am too ashamed to ask anyone for help......i'm hoping this goes away by tomorrow b/c i don't want to take even an advil to help me with my pain.....
hang in there it will get better i.e. withdrawls and life  the fog will lift you will see clearer again and it's well worth it.  When your off don't ever ever think you can take just 1 on a friday to "feel good" or whenever and stop, because you WILL be back in a year or 2 at another go at getting clean. Don't be ashamsd be proud to beat it.  
You have a tuff situation and you have to be tuff. Oxy w/booze can kill depending on amounts he drinks the combo can cause respitory arrest (stops breathing} I' ve been there got me off oxy's at least anything above 10mg, saw 80' plus. if he does not drink much thats a plus. You are right it could ruin you finacially the move out could help him see the light but talk to him he has to want to quit you can't make him quit.  Its tuff you should stay away from pills and try to tell him " will beat it together", don't let him back in the house and take you down too. Good luck.
I'am new to post. Background in a capsule 10 yrs ago back surgery pecocet (percocet) several 10/325 dailey occasional 10mg oxy. 2yrs ago have another blown disc in neck can't operate on, in pain always but doing Pilaties and working out to gain mucsule tone in back. Tired of pills got off 3x in ten years felt good after 3 to 4 day withdrawl (withdrawal) but the deamons come to call a month or so down the road on a weakend pun and the years go by. I think I can live with the pain because it feels better when I am off meds mind is clear get things done. I also have  brain injury memory is gone but thats another forum. I have experience in tis will try to chime in every once in awhile hope I can help going for round 4 soon.
Dude,

you have given the most sound and accurate advise I think I've seen thusfar on the subject of Oxy abuse. ALL the symptoms are dead on. As a matter of fact, you just answered why after 33 years of having two cavities in my life I found out three months ago when going to the dentist that I had 13!! I now know why. I am on my 6th day off Oxy's. 800-1200mg's daily. Talk about killing a horse. I am now on Bupenorphine. Seems to be working with the exception of gastro distress. Any words of wisdom for me???
Hey everyone, I'm a 19 year old pharmacy student and recently i've gotten into a bunch of older prescriptions for various forms of pain killers. (Roxicet, Percocet, Oxycodone w/apap) all the same stuff at 5mg/325.  I haven't taken much less than 50 pills, but lately I've been feeling the addiction.  I started out feelin good with 3 pills at night, just to help me sleep.  However I've upped it all the way up to 7 a night and I have no idea what this is doing to my body.  I know opiates are not good for you by any means, I just hope I haven't done a lot of damage to my body.  I want to quit doubly because on a daily basis i handle drugs at the pharmacy I work out, not to mention my career will be in pharmacy.  I was wondering if anyone could enligten me on what i've done to my body so far...
ive never done oxy before but i ****** up and snorted a little bit the other day. all day yesterday i felt horrible cold and then sweating  panic attacks and i woke up and still feel this way i've never done that **** before and wouldnt think i would get withdrawl (withdrawal) how long will this last?
*No need to fill everyone in on all of the EVILS of what this addiction will do to a 9 year marriage, but this message should inform quite well:

My wife had a strong addiction to percocets about 1.5 yrs ago.  She quit via prayer & a medication (forgot the name) that her therapist prescribed to help her LOSE her cravings for the drug.  She also takes Effexor.  Her sex drive hit rock bottom and our relationship has ran right behind it and has YET to return.  She often walks around me "short-fused", very defensive and ready to POUNCE.  Countless issues to our relationship persist and I have only recently realized (upon reading up on the addictions' counter-effects) that her brain may have changed somewhat through it all which could have permanently changed her personality, especially towards me.  (For what it's worth) it is also somewhat refreshing to grasp the idea that "I" may not be the complete cause for her LACK of desire in the bedroom.

2 questions:
Is it typical for her ANGER & discontent to reverberate this long after her addiction has ceased?  Will her sex drive ever return?
Wow, I have been reading the posts and there is allot of good advice.  Thank you all.  I have been using oxy"s for about 1.5 years now.  I was introduced to them from some friends at work that were using at the time (still). I don"t use on a constant basis, but about once a month I will buy 10 pills or so and use till gone. I have several injuries from accidents and its nice not to be in pain for a week or so. I have noticed some changes in my heath and its really scaring me.  My sex drive is suffering, and I seem to be constipated more than usual.  I have justified my usage because i don't use on a daily basis.  I guess I have been lucky not to get completely addicted, yet.  I tell my self after a binge I wont use again but, not yet.  Reading these posts has opened my eyes.  It sounds like some of you have been through hell.  I have had the withdrawals and I would say that part of why i don't use regularly.  I guess I am looking for some advice on HOW TO JUST WALK AWAY!
Sometimes it is confusing when you find a post to comment on. This one was form 2003. We all would love to talk with you, so at the top there is a Post a Question button. Start a new post so that it is current.
hey guys, first time on this board. just been thinking and times are getting scary and trying to make my life better. Ive been taking opiates now for about 3 years. my first opiate intake was at age 17 and it was oxycontin. i can see why people get addicted to it In the beging OC is the best drug for  giving a hugh high with an even bigger eurphoric rush.
but when i was 17 and did it, it was only a couple times prob not even more than 5 times in that year, which isnt bad. but im more scared now from the pasttwo years where i have been doing them a lot more. buying oc 80s couple times a week. doing no less than a 40mg  up my nose sometimes more up to a full 80. I'v been getting worse b/c where i live its easier to find opiates than it is nug.  
I guess its b/c living in a bad area, only 20mins away from baltimore where it has the worst herion and oxycontin problem in the US. but i live in the suburbs, proves to all you suburbs moms bewear how the cities drugs gets pushed out to the suburbs more than you imange.

gettin back on track, once i see my self getting bad i move my self out of the problem. luckly i got family members to stay with whenever i want if i want a week or 2 getaway. and i do fell ok after those hard 3 days. but i still cant get to sleep at night. its like I'm tired enough to go to sleep when im laying down so i go up to my room with the lights out and trying to fall asleep but cant. i stay awake till like 4 or 5 in the morning until the sun breaks and then fall alseep with leaves me tired for the next day and start to get small dark bags under my eyes.(any ideas on how to remove them? like i remember seeing something on tv about that)
From who i talked to before opaite withdraw can occur up to months after last dose. is that true? cause i stoped 2 weeks ago and at first i was doing fine but now its like my perosnality is gone, like always got **** on my mind and just cant get to sleep. so my frinends been giving me some  benzos to help from CT effects so it help me sleep which helps but i just dont know what to do. like can i talk to a doctor about being put on something to help with the withdraw attacks and not sleeping . im not trying to take a suboxson or methadone, i've heard some bad things about those drugs. but benzos seem to help with not thinking about it too much, and alot with sleeping.

oh yeah off the topic question. from what i was reading about this in prior comments dealing with brain damage from use of opiates. is it posable to get brain damage (like a brain tumor) at a young from opiate use (such as snorting it as to just orally taking it)  

You people who take Oxycontin and the like illegally and for recreation make my stomach turn. I HAVE to take it because I have terrible chronic pain. I worry everyday of my life about the side effects but I would be a cripple without it. I had to search far and wide to find a DR willing to give it to me for REAL pain because most DR's are too scared to provide it for people who need it because of idiots who take it illegally. Thanks to those of you who do this for making my life a living hell before I was able to find a DR brave enough to face the DEA since I have documented REAL pain. You people need to realize your actions cause problems for people with REAL medical problems. If you want to use drugs for recreation, go smoke some pot or do some cocaine. But for the sake of the people in this world with REAL chronic pain, STOP abusing prescription drugs!!!
I have been using for 7 yrs now and only do a couple of percs a day. I was off for a year but now I am back, it sucks. My side has a weird pain. I have to get some tests done to figure out problem. Could my kidney, liver or other organs be permantly damaged?
Ive been using perc 30 for upto a year now, I first started with a little piece a day, but started taking upto 3-5 perc30's a day. I have slowy cut down and now only take 1 a day. Should I try not taking them at all? will the withdrawal be really painfull??
strongj, this is a very old thread that most people won't read all the way through to get to your question.  To get the help you need and the most responses, click on the green box at the top that says "Post a Question" and tell your story on your own thread.  Good luck to you!!
don't ever start doing oc! if you haven't already. but if you do start... stop nowwww! like seriously. i've watched people's lives get ruined by it. like my boyfriend. he gets soooo mad about little things now and it's hard for him to stop cause of his friends and he doesn't wanna be "***** whipped" and listen to me and stop eventhough his whole family has noticed he's different. he's only been using for like 3 or 4 months and i feel like he can stop but he can't. it's already gotten too far. and everytime i try to tell him he shouldn't he gets pissed so now he's not ever gonna tell me when he does it and when he doesn't. it's gay. i need help cause i really love him and it's sad just watching his life and money go down the drain..
This is a great forum , I just found it today an have read alot of posts an questions. I think this will be very helpful an  informative for me, thanks
I think I posted this in the wrong discussion initially, I'd really like some insight...so any responses help.  I should also say that this is a prelude to an intervention we are considering having and I want to be as well educated as I possibly can be to understand this disease....see below.

I have a drug question that I need answered.  I have been reading and reading all of your posts in awww, it's amazing how the addiction to pills possesses your very person and very scary too.  I guess I am looking for some answers for my brother who is an admitted opiate addict, however, he will say he just wishes he had a constant flow of it fo rthe rest of his life and he'd be happy....sick.  He's 25 doesn't work, doesn't do much of anything but chase the pills.  He developed chronic staph infections about 6 years ago and they prescribed him vicodin for the pain.  He has turned into a compulsive liar, a theif (he stole pills from our grandmother who has cancer!) he can't be trusted.  He e-room jumps, buys from dealers, and he also has a reg. doc for the staph infections who prescribes him norco every 30 days, which he tears through in a few days.  Recently he was given 5mg/500 oxycontin for "breakthrough pain".  His dr doesn't know he takes pills regularly, but I'm afraid he's gonna o.d. one day from all the pills.  He says I don't understand because I don't do them...can someone give me some incite?  Once I realized he had a problem I started reading up on this addiction, so I know more than he gives me credit.  

Oxycontin is so dangerous, why would a doc give someone such a strong med for a problem that's only painful when he has a sore?  How does the oxy 5/500 compare to the norco or percoset for that mattter?  ie; does 2 or 3 norco = the same potency as 1 oxy 5mg?  He takes between 3 or 4 norco at a time and I noticed when I was with him the other day he popped 2-3 oxy at a time.  I made a comment "aren't those stronger, so you don't need as much?"  He said each kind of pill feels different...can someone give me a quick break down?
well i will try my best, altho i have a problem as well, but i dont know what a narco is?? and oc 5mg is basically nothing on the scales of strength. pretty much one of the lowest doses u could take if just taking one. but chances are if he has been taking them that long he is taking a lot more than 5mgs. as your obviously know your tolerance rises the longer you take them.  when u compare vics, percs and oxys the strength is all different, and depending your pill of choice or the pill u have history with they all are different.  oxys are the worst to become addicted to bc it is the closest to a form of sterilized heroin. whereas percocet and vicodins are pain killers/tylenol (although 15 mg percs and up are closer to being oxys then their own family of percs because just like oxys they contain no aspirin and is basically the same thing as oxycotin, just a lower dosage. 5 & 10 mg oxys are (at least where im from) pretty rare, anyone who takes them takes 40 mg to 80 mg and u can get up to a dollar a mg. so yes someone who can take more than 1 or 2 oc 80's a day (which can def happen once ur tolerance gets up there) has a huge chance of turning to heroin whereas its dirt cheap and the ocs are basically ripping a hole in their wallet.  
the thing that makes me nervous about what your say about ur brother is that he has no desire to stop.  once u lose that desire to change ur life for the best and u give in entirely to the drug is when it can do huge damage not just to the abuser but to everyone around that person. if u were someone who took them even on occasion, recreationally or not, you would know the feeling it gives you and how it can be so addictive. a lot of times most people dont realize they are addicted until it is too late, and then dont know who to turn to, or how to stop. you are doing the right thing by reading up and becoming aware of the situation, but just know someone who has been taking painkillers for 6 yrs is 99.9% doing more than 15-20 mgs a day.  sometimes the best way to help someone who wont help themselves is to make them do it on their own. the reason for stealing is bc once ur fully addicted u truely cant function properly without the drug, whether it be talking, working, or even showering, i mean ur energy level is literally non-existant.  i feel as if maybe bc u know what u do and obviously care about him maybe an intervention will work. but biggest thing to me i guess would be to not feel as if i was being looked down on. maybe if my family understood and just cared and didnt look down on me for the problem that i had developed id be more apt to get help, for them and myself. attacking/cornering an addict can be very bad if they take it the wrong way.  continue to try to be understanding and willing to learn and listen. and know i am 23.. and ive been taking them for about 2 and a half yrs.. i started with 5mg percs and 10 mgs- splitting them in half, then no one had the small mg pills anymore.. it jumped to 15- and 30 mgs. i could take up to 3 30s a day now, and my family doesnt even know i take them. its sick and scary. but im on my own and i know i need help. goodluckxo. i hope god is with your family
"You people who take Oxycontin and the like illegally and for recreation make my stomach turn. I HAVE to take it because I have terrible chronic pain. I worry everyday of my life about the side effects but I would be a cripple without it. I had to search far and wide to find a DR willing to give it to me for REAL pain because most DR's are too scared to provide it for people who need it because of idiots who take it illegally. Thanks to those of you who do this for making my life a living hell before I was able to find a DR brave enough to face the DEA since I have documented REAL pain. You people need to realize your actions cause problems for people with REAL medical problems. If you want to use drugs for recreation, go smoke some pot or do some cocaine. But for the sake of the people in this world with REAL chronic pain, STOP abusing prescription drugs!!!"

wow. i am in awe of your ignorance.  first of all, this is a different age, a different era - painkillers are now one of the most used and most easily attainable drugs that there are. i respect the fact the they give you what you need to live the most normal and effiecent life you can with the medical condition you have developed, it is for people like you, why painkillers have become an almost "miracle" drug. but with every drug there is no doubt a down side, and the down side to this is 1- they are highly addictive, and 2- they give a feeling of almost euphoria to those who do take them, which in turn makes one who recreationally uses the drug take them more which, again, in turn, makes the user over time addicted. the problem is most dont realize until its too late. BUT THEY DO REALIZE. AND HELLLO, it is not a drug one can just make by buying a bunch of stuff and puttin it together..it is made by a pharmacy, obviously. so if you havent noticed any of these people suffering from the hell that they no doubt did get themselves into, dont u wonder maybe how SO MANY people nationwide may have become addicted to a drug that is according to you so hard to get because of "IDIOTS"?

QUOTE "I had to search far and wide to find a DR willing to give it to me for REAL pain because most DR's are too scared to provide it for people who need it because of idiots who take it illegally

interesting how little sense that actually makes,.  in reality, if u werent aware, or maybe to dissapointed/nervous of the problems you too will ultimately develop from taking the drug over prolonged periods of time, and your tolerance as well my dear dummy will go up - obviously the problem is not that doctors are too afraid to prescribe the medicine -like you say- but that there is too many doctors giving it out for basically nothing! altho im sure some people have stolen from pharmacies, or maybe know a crooked doctor, that is def not majority. so before you **** on other people for having the balls and/or need to get help for a SICKNESS - just like you have - WHY DONT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE SAYIN AND HOW MUCH SENSE IT ACTUALLY MAKES!  the problem is that right now i could call about 20 different people and they could all sell me painkillers if i wanted them! BUT YOU MUST BE RIGHT.. DOCTORS ALL OVER THE PLACE ARE TOO SCARED TO PRESCRIBE THEM! HAHAHA what a joke! what a stupid, unthoughtful, cynical remark you made. im glad people like me and millions others make you sick because of our problem.. you know what else is going to make you sick? when you dont have any pills one day after youve been taking them for however long and your body shows you what its like to be sick in a different way then you think you understand. and when you go to your "ballsy" doctor and describe these different symptoms you've been having and that same "ballsy" doctor of yours realizes that you too, are addicted to painkillers.  maybe then will you understand what its like to become addicted to something you didnt know would take over your life.  ignorance shall become knowlegde for you one day my dummy friend, and not because u wanted it.  i dont mean to wish anything bad upon you, but i do assume that you are older than i, because i am only 23, and i wonder if you have children. if you raised them to be as ignorant as you, or you are that not understanding, the problems they could have scares me.  i did not grow up with cocaine being the biggest drug, or acid, or meth or non of that ****. it was pot and painkillers. and nearly everyone i know got themselves into a hole they never even fin knew they were digging. so before you go calling people that are sick "idiots" and whatnot, maybe your should take a step back and wonder how in the hell they ever got a hold of the drug in the first place - IT WASNT BECAUSE DOCTORS WERE TOO AFRAID TO PRESCRIBE IT THATS FOR DAMN SURE.  being as young as i am and knowing first hand what happens when u mess with painkillers -i had to try to warn my own father of takin it for his disease.. and he needed it just like you. you know what happened? no matter how much i warned and worried, he became addicted too. amazing how a 21 yr old can beg their parents not to take a medicine givin by their doctor because they know better than the adult does.  dont stick your foot in your mouth before you know what your talking about. maybe you should look at some of this as an idea of what can happen to people and a hearftfelt warning instead of a message board of a bunch of druggies. btw ,, do you know the company that made perc 30s and etc is under investigation? because so many pills have been found on the streets and so many people - prescribed at one time or not - have end up in rehad for addictions to painkillers when the company originally stated that is was a VERY LOW ADDICTION RATE WITH THEIR NEW MIRACLE DRUG?
good luck to you and your chronic illness.. i hope you become well. i also hope you are not so ignorant about everything as you were about this.

truely yours,

smarterthanyou
Hi there,
I'm new to this.. I'm a 22 year old female. I have a amazing boyfriend who is 28 years old. He got introduced to percocet about a year ago and has been hooked ever since, but latly i suspect that he is doing something a liitle more now. He goes in the bathrron for a long time and throws up several times. He gets very defensive when I ask him about it. He is a recovered Heroin addict, I'm afraid that person is back. To add his moods change in a blink of an eye, very bad mood swings and he has no sex drive at all. I've been researching Suboxone and I'm thinking thats the way to go.I just feel so helpless. Its out of my power, I cant make him stop, he has to want to stop for himself. If anyone can please advise me with any info. I've never loved someone whos been an addict and dont know what to do.

Thank you very much,
My husband is on his 3rd try of going CT; I'm not sure if I can stand by him any longer....:(
This was a post started in 2003...many people will over look it. Please, start a new post and try again. You will be assured of getting answers that way. Also, try and ask some questions and not just make a statement. It's hard to answer a post when there's no question.
Hi & Welcome,

As it was allured to, this post is quite old and it will return to archives if no one sees it.

Go to the top of this page and hit the green "Post a Question" button. It will walk you through the process.

Hope to see you posting in the forum soon.
you sound alot like myself. family, middle age male and only take in the evening. Never take them in the day. If so you're setting up for disaster. Its bad enough now. I don't take as much as you. But untill you get fully committed you can go through your days normally w/o the pills. Stop increasing your dosage also. Go exercise in the mornings. It keeps the receptors in somewhat working order. Again, one is to many but hang on to your life at least through the daylight hours. Your family will appreciate it al;so!

jont
IBK explained it in avery good way good luck :) I hope to see you on the forum
Hello,   I just got married, and found out that my husband is taking percocet,. In january  he was on a rehab for a month and a half, i thought everything is ok now, because i dont know much about this pills, but he started again, and it was my first time seeing him like that. I was so scared. And all our family found about it, and nobody is talking to him. I left for a while, but im still in contact with him. He is aware what he did and promissed that he will do everything to stop.
Why he started again after month and a half rehab? Is there any hope for this addiction? Is everything up to him? Is better to be left by him self, or to be around him?
This is a year later, so I don't know what happened.  i hope you didn't leave him.  Would you leave him if he was a diabetic and forgot to take his insulijn>?  He has a DISEASE.  After being treated at a rehab, he needs to go to AA  meetings daily, get a sponsor and do all the things the rehab told him to do.  If he refuses to be involved in AA, only then would I consider leaving him, because that shows he doesn't want to get better.
To everyone else on this chat, personally i  (being a pain pill addict taking and getting addicted to pills for chronic pain AND having the DISEASE of addiction, i have NEVER been able to detox myself.  I make up a schedule, and when i get down to 1 pill left, i go into the worst withdrawal possible, and i cannnot handle it. i have only been able to detox with the help of a rehab. I stay sober only with the help of AA meetings even if I am not a drinker, and i eventually rehab because a doctor gives me a pain pill, and i take it due to the pain I am in from another disease.  BIG MISTAKE because then I have two diseases to worry about instead of 1.  presently, i am going into rehab  in a few days gollowed up by surgery for my illness.  Addiction is a disease onto itself, and when we suffer from pain-chronic-it is very hard to stay away.. U have no answer except in my case i havwe NEVER been able to detox from anything by myself.  /the only thing that has worked is a rehab and dailyAA meetings and support.  i should have listened to my sponsor 16 months ago when my chronic pain started, and i would only have one problem and one illness instead of two.  addicts can't take addictive drugs in a normal way like other people-impossible.  there are other ways to manage pain, and I , myself have to learn them to save my life.  Oxyconten kills when you are least expecting it.
I have been taking oxycodone for at least 10 yrs! Given to me first after surgery on my neck. Then given again in 03 after a second surgery. My problem: I also have Restless Leg Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, a form of arthritis called ankylosing spondilitis. What happened was this...while recovering from the 2nd surgery I realized while taking the hydrocodone for the pain it was actually helping me for the RLS! I do not know if anyone else has heard of RLS ..but you want to talk about a DEMON! Well I was for years not able to sit and watch a movie,drive in a car for long periods of time etc....this syndrome attacks whenever you are at rest! It alos attacks you after you have had a strenuous day of physical activity...like simple vaccuming or lifting or gardening! So the more activity the more chance of getting the symptoms of RLS later...when you are trying to rest!! I call it ridiculous leg syndrome! It started after I gave birth to my two kids...it would come when I got up in the middle of the night to feed them "sitting in a chair"....I could not! I would take showers sometimes 3 to 5 a night to get relief! My husband would find me in the tub sleeping in cold water! Or standing in the shower sleeping with the cold water running! Although it started out HOT...the hotter the better! Ok so now you know the background of my demise!
Once I told the RLS specialist that the hydrocodone worked awesome for the RLS symtoms (symptoms) he prescibed oxycodone 5 mg...he had done studies and research on this drug and the invaluable relief it brought to RLS patients! RELIEF is an understatement... I was getting this in the daytime now while driving... my kids would say oh mommy has the HEBGB"S!!! hence my email address hebgbgirl! I was so crazed with this "dis ease" taking over my life...I could not sleep at night and i could not function during the day!! WOW!! with 2 kids I was a mess...until I started to take the oxycodone on a regular basis that is! Well it is now 10 yrs later....i was fine up until about a year ago.....my original dose was like 4 to 6 tabs a day as needed....I did good...no more RLS!!! Yeah!!! Then I started to build up resistence to them the dose is 5mg. Which if I must say is still the same only now I take up to 10 a day! Not only that but I have started to snort these bad boys! I function great all day I sleep great I do not get RLS at all...unless I don't take them for a while...and I try to rest! My issue is what the heck to do ...I know I need to #1 stop snorting them.....and get off....but I am so scared to do it...because I do not want to go back to square one!! Living with RLS is a nightmare! I also take Mirapex....at night only....this is prescrbed for RLS patients.....I must take this in order to be able to get through the night......I am extremely active while I sleep as well...kicking, flinging my arms .....some nights better then others....so when I awake in the morning the pain of being so active kills! On top of   the Arthritis and fibromyalgia!! I want to "kick" this...but my problem is I do not want to live with the RLS symptoms either......if the oxycodone was not so bad for you I would be in great shape! They work....but after 10 yrs of taking them as prescribed(which by the way I think I did pretty good) I now have an obvious problem....if they did not help me to function during the day and keep the RLS demon away...I would just do the detox and say I'm done....but the underlying problem is what to do about the RLS demon after the oxycodone is gone??? What is going to keep that demon out of my body?? I am so confused about what to do....I know I have abused myself and the entire process...and if I did not...it would not be an issue......since I truly believe if you take a med for a real purpose and do not abuse it.....you will be fine and I was fine until last year! So anyone out there want to comment on my ridiculous story....PS I am 46 yr old Mom...as if that helps....LOL
I have a friend snorting at 6-8 a day going on 4 months then   3 month break and 4 more months. First four months it was 3-5 a day, second 4 months it was 6-8, what damage is he looking at now and long term. He's taking pk 10's
My husband is on Percocet and Vicodin.  I notice that about every two weeks, if I do something that upsets him, he gets extremely angry and verbally abusive. He is on the medication for apinched nerve, and a very painful knee that will be replaced this winter.  This is all prescribed by the doctor. Myh usband knows that he is addicted but cannot function with the pain without the meds.  But he says such horrible things and screams, etc. when he has one of his moods.  Is this possible with these meds?  How does one cope with it?
hi everyone ive been addiceted to percocet for about 4-5 years now its so bad i dont know what to do, the withdrawal so bad i cant quit please i need help .......... my freind dad just passed away from OD on pain meds i feel if i cant quit this will happen to me
This is a very old thread . Go to the top of the main forum page and hit "post a question", and start your own thread. People will be inclined to respond to you quicker than responding thru this old one....
Hi, I"ve been reading this forum because I've been having quite a different problem with percs. I only take one a day - (I"ve had to come off a 9/day habit after back surgery in the past so now I keep it to a minimum) and I've been experiencing hand pain like no tomorrow! My hands at one point felt so much pain, heat, and I could barely close them. Assured after cutting back to 1/2 perc/day and reading other forums, my percs are the cause.
So, I too am going to get off them. I truly take them for back pain but see many of you do not. You are all wonderful in your words of wisdom and advice in supporting one another. However, Yes, the big BUT, if you are addicted, there is USUALLY another psychological component to BEATING the addiction. This too needs to be taken care of to truly beat it. Whether it is your marriage, work, family, something with self, or who knows...seek help and beat your addiction forever! ♥ I want to thank all who posted and shared here...it's been a pleasure.
Re Trazodone.

Hi you might want to start a new thread to discuss this. The current one is going in wildly different directions!

However, just to reassure you, I've been on 200mg Trazodone for 5 months. I've found it to be really good and there's been no side effects except for a dry mouth when I wake in the morning.

It's not hard to come off either. Just reduce slowly but I'm sure your doctor will do that for you.

Relax!

I'm sure my now you can see the road your husband is going down and what the effect are likely to be

The best thing you can do for him right now is just to be there for him and not to judge him.

I'm sure he knows the situation as well as you do but you won't make any progress till he admits the problems to himself.

No amount of preaching, cajoling or threats will help, they'll only make the situation worse.

He will reach the stage where he's ready to admit the problem and ask for your help, and when that time comes, there's no end of people on the list who will help you both through it.

Our thoughts are with you and keep in touch.
I am 29 and have been taking blues for about 3 years now.  Started at 2-3 a few days a week, then escalated to 3-5 pills, 4 days a week.  Now up to 8-10 almost about 4-5 days per week.  If I stop how long will it take before I feel like my old self again? I used to have more energy, more sex drive, more fun in general...  Any advise is much appreciated.
My husband was in a SEVERE accident and as a result has been on Oxycontin and Percocet for many years.  I haven seen any violent tendencies towards anyone in my family.  I am worried however about his kidneys and liver. He cannot work without taking his meds.  When he doesn't, I've seen him half bent over and crawling up the stairs. His pain is terrible.  Why can't they create a medicine that doesn't do all this harm to your body? I know all about opiates and the opiate receptors....I just can't understand why Pharmaceutical Companies aren't willing to come up with something other than narcotics.  The addiction (he takes only what he is prescribed) is frowned upon by society and people who are holier than thou.  People automatically think everyone that is on pain medication takes them to get a high.  Some people HONESTLY need to take the medication, it's just very sad they can't develop something that doesn't ruin your organs.  It's bad enough what happened to him physically and mentally (he had a brain injury from the accident), so it just ***** once again that PHARMACEUTICAL Co's aren't trying more.  I'm guessing it's due to the holy dollar in the end.  
My girlfriend an I take 10/325 percosets. We have been doing this for about 6 months. We have been realizing problems here and there and will stop taking them, but then we will always go get some more. We enjoy going to movies and bowling on them. She takes about one and I take 2 throughout the night. After the weekend I find myself taking 1.5 at night during the week. I have been getting bad headaches and weird feelings in my body. I want to stop, but I have said this before. I will stop for a week feel great and then think about them again. They are so easily disposable to me. Further, my dad is 55 and has liver and kidney failure. I am really scared and don't want that to happen to me at all. Someone please advise me on how to quit and to never look back?
Just quit COLD TURKEY NOW......to get through the withdrawls lay in bed and try to sleep. day 2 and 3 r the worst, after that it becomes easier day by day....I was hooked for 7 years,15 to 20 pills per day (7.5/325) QUIT befor it ruins your life, financialy, personaly, physicaly and spiritualy,,,
Hi, im suspectic my fiance is abusing percocets. Last year he developed a drug problem but has been clean for about 6 months. Ive noticed his eyes, and pail clammy skin at times, and outbursts of anger, last night he coudlnt stop talking and asking questions (hes usually a very quiet person) and was getting so angry about little things, but coudlnt form coherent points.... Does this sound like he is using again? He clearly is denying it completly but I have a serious feeling he is lying. Im pregnant with our firat child and scared to death.
I am taking oxycontin 29 mg three times a day and oxycodone 15 mg 4 times a day. I have Benny cutting back to oxycodone 3 times a day because I am short this month but also chewing the oxycontin instead if swallowing  it. I have not swallowed it without chewing it it in about 4 days so wondering if basically I have just been taking oxycodone. The first couple days I had some sweating and nausea but I have phenergan for the nausea. I want to get off the oxycontin totally  I have some oxycodone an neurontin so wondering if takin the oxycodone will help with the withdrawals from the oxycontin. I have a horrible back but am in physical therapy and just want to get off this but wondering if I can at least get off the oxycontin by usin the oxycodone for now until I get get off that also.
I feel like I am in a vacuum- I am taking 240 mg of IR oxycodone and 48 mg of hydromorphone-how do I stop!!!
hey whats up guys i just want to say one thing from experience and as seeing my friends around me that ALL take 30mg roxicodone and honestly i was on them for 6 years doing 15-20 a day  honestly my first biggest step was going to my closest sister and told her my problem after that my sister and i looked online for RAPID DRUG DETOX and i found one and luckily for as bad as i was on pills i did work and made money and of course i had my family help as well but i found this place in Detroit, Michigan and compared to most other places its was alot cheaper and i did sign up and had the procedure done and its been 12 weeks and right now since i had got it done.  i feel like the person i used to feel before those pills took over my life.  i did not go through one small withdrawal.  the procedure took 40 min long.  when everything was all done. I personally walked out of the hospital on my own.  then they took us to a beautiful hotel for 4 nights(ALL INCLUDED IN THE PRICE)  and there was Doctors to check on me every morning  and every night and on call in the hotel if needed. i also think one of the best part of this procedure is that they give you a shot or an implant (your choice) so you don't relapse.  bcuz like i said earlier  from experience and other friends that go to rehab for 30 days or try to use suboxone to stop 100% of those people don't past 2 weeks off the pills and find themselves right back where they were it never ends.  this procedure i had done coast me $8500.00, compared to most places that's a lot cheaper but honestly its a real big relieve not waking up in the morning and wasting  every dollar on pills.  i live in jersey and i flew out to Detroit to get this done and i really honestly changed my life

whoever cant stop and trust me i no y u cant stop. just search up online about these rapid drug detox centers
I was in a accident put on pain pills 3x40mg oxcontin,4x7.5 percs. I stopped all of it cold. The first3 days were hell couldn't get out of my own way,layed around felt like ****. Its been a week now clean the only side effect i'm still having restless leg syndrome and quality sleep. Any ideas what would help me get to sleep and stay. I currently take lunesta 3mg and that doesnt work. Tried tylenol pm no help. Any suggestions!!
Does anyone still post about this topic?
I take 10 to 11 oxcodone imm rel a day and need to figure out how to taper down I take 5 at a time and have been for 3 months. I have torn disks in my back but I'm tired of being a slave to these pills someone with knowledge please help me.
just wonderin i been with my kids dad for 12 yrs and hes been takin percocets for over a year theres days he will go without them an just sleep he gets mad easy an he doesnt like havin sex..wuts this mean???
Hey guys,
I've read a lot of your comments and got a lot out of it so far but I have a few specific questions for you.
Ill try to give u a run down of my history in short form- I started off at 17 useing perks I became physically dependent in no time and I developed a $200+/day habit.
After my 18th bday I became pregnant with my first child, and soon after I was.put onto the methadone program to keep the baby safe.I started at 120mls
I continued to stay on the program and stayed clean for 5 years.
7 months ago I decided to go to treatment to come off of the methadone after experiencing many its nasty side effects. It had served its purpose and I felt ready to let go.
I managed to tapper on my own from 120mls to 60mls I then cold turkeyed the 60mls in detox and treatment.
It was torture... horrible withdrawals.
I left treatment methadone free and I stayed clean for 6 months till just recently.
I picked up the pills again for no apparent reason.... I just started obsessing again.
I have been taking a mixture of demerol perkocets and morphine for about a week now.
If I stop now do u think ill experience withdrawals?
I have two young boys, and I don't want them to have a mom hooked on pills.
I go to meetings often and I see a d+a counsellor once a week.
I don't know what else I can do to help myself stay clean with out feeling like I'm white knuckling it.
Any suggestions?
Dont listen to the idiots on this board... you say your husband gets energy from the oxycodone in the percocet and the oxycontin .. well believe what he says oxycodone is made from Thebaine its not like morphine or codeine they are natural from the opium poppy..Thebaine by itsself is useless toxic even but when altered by man it can be turned into drugs like hydrocodone and oxycodone.Here is the point Thebaine is a CNS Stimulant not depressant like morphine and codeine thus why he gets the energy.. I know this because i have been perscribed roxicodone for 6 years now and they do the same thing to me..give me pep without them I have no motivation or energy to do anything .. even get out of bed..Oxy is a mirical for pain control but when taken even as perscribed it is the devil.I hope he feels better
I'm wondering if there are any obvious symptoms that someone is snorting percocet? My boyfriend has friends that do it and I want to know what to look for because I'm afraid he is too.
Honey, I used to feel the same way you do. Angered that the rec use was hurting my use for a real reason. BUT wake up darlin, u r an addict! it starts off as a real need. I have severe chronic pain too but have found out the hard way that the tabs and oxys make my pain even worse. Your brain is not designed that way. I promise you that if you suffer thru the horrible withdrawls, get massage therapy, excercise, see a chiro, meditate, etc you WILL beat the pain without the narcs. Don't be in denial and u r not the only one who has been there. Many of us started because of REAL Pain. Gain the STRENGTH only the weak make excuses.
Hi. I'm on OXY 20mg 3x a day for the last 4 years. I have a nerve problem that the dr. Put me on them to give a better quality of life.  
I know I'm addicted. If not taken every 8 hours I shake and high anxiety.
If I get off and I have the above normal pain- or even the normal horrible pain, I will have to get back on. Please help me, please. I'm in 40's still model and I'm so confused.  
Hi. I'm on OXY 20mg 3x a day for the last 4 years. I have a nerve problem that the doctor- head of pain center in a big city in Canada. Put me on them to give a better quality of life.  
im a 26 yr old male, who was shot 3 times at the 5nov2009 fort hood shooting. as a soldier ive been "overmedicated" (by my military doctor) with percs, oxycontin, mscontin and plenty more for over 2 yrs now. im married to the most amazing woman in the world. she has taking care of me from changing my catheter to helping me to learn how to walk again. however im spinning into a really bad depression due to my loss of sex drive and ability or desire to do anything besides sleep in bed with my beautiful wife of two yrs. i dont know what to do about my loss of sexdrive and im open too any suggestions...im extremely attracted to my gorgeous sexy wife but i have no drive...please any suggestions are very much appreciated...
The labor board & workmans comp detoxed me off of 4 80mg oxys, 6 30 mg roxys and 5. 10 mg vics a day with suboxen took 3me days to come off them but two weeks of vomiting from the suboxen. Suboxen istook jist as addictive! Had to cold turkey off that. I wore a size 5 jeans but lost 30 pounds from the suboxen. I am finally into a size 35 & its been almost 3 years. And mine were prescribed after 5 back surgeries. I'LL always be in pain and need 2 more operations. So guess what they put me on? 8 roxys a day! Its a vicious cycle server recreational or dr's orders. The worst part is I have to take them even when im not in pain cause of the withdrawal symptoms like nite sweats etc.....
Hi, this is my first time on this forum. I have been taking percs daily since the middle of 2008. My intake is at about 6-7 a day, sometimes more. I can feel when I 'need' to take one. I really want to quit but am scared of the withdrawal process. What can I honestly expect in terms of symptoms and length of time before it's over and I no longer crave or 'need' them? I had back surgery which is why I started taking them in the first place. I don't even know if I feel pain in my back any more because I don't allow myself to get to that point. I am trying to eat healthy and exercise and I want to stop taking these.
Hi and Welcome.  You posted on a pretty old post so first off you might want to go back to the board and "Post a Question" you might get more responses.  I can relate to your use and how you feel.  I fell into solid use about 3 years ago and found my body wanting more and more, they were no longer helping the pain but I knew I was hooked.  We can't give specifics regarding tapering schedules but I'll tell you what I experienced and how much I used - everyone is different but acknowleding there is an issue is a first really positive step.  Today is Day 9 for me off hydrocodone and I'm so glad I finally just made the decision to stop.  So I was taking 3-4 per day (sometimes more but not for quite some time), I reduced my intake until I was down to 1 pill then I stopped.  If you can be honest with your doctor and he/she can help you that would be preferable.  It is a fact with continued opiate use your body will become dependent.  I wanted to get off as well just to gauge my pain level and see where I was, I think a lot of me feeling crappy for months was low level withdrawals because my body was adjusted to my dose and wanting more more more but I wasn't giving it.  

Leaving the comfort of having those pain meds can be scary - that was probably the thing that kept me putting this off.  I just got mad that these pills were dictating my schedule, I would panick if I left and didn't have them because I knew I would start to feel uncomfortable and I did not want to live this way.

You can click on my name and see my previous posts which will kind of tell you what I experienced through detox but here's a quick synopsis - again everyone is different and sometimes getting yourself worked up thinking about stopping is a hindrance.  I didn't know I was stopping until I just decided last Monday that I had cut it down and I was done - I did not plan it.  I found this board and got support.  You are going to feel really awful for a couple of days - like the worst flu of your life.   I was going into full withdrawals by 24 hours of not taking a pill which lasted about 2 days really bad then every day got a little better.  Aggressively use immodium to stop the runs, you can look up the Thomas Recipe for items that will make you more comfortable.  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and try to eat something even though you won't feel like it.  I've lost 11 pounds in the last week through all this but it's been so worth it.  Today is the first day I feel more "clear" than I have felt in a long time.  Post often with questions and you will be supported here.  If you take some time and read through the various posts you will find a wealth of information.  Just get ready to hunker down for a few days with the "flu" and then by day 3 try to push yourself into a tiny walk and try to force yourself to move a little each day.  I wish you well and this is a great first step.  I think this board is full of wonderful people and we all seem to be knocking the days out.  Take care of yourself and welcome.
D
In response to one of the post-ers (lol), your wife's sex drive should return,  but it could take months. I, too, was addicted to percs for a long time...and my husband had absolutely no idea. He could sense that something was different when I was taking them, but he had never known that percocets were responsible for the change of personality. PMS was a much better-and easier-- excuse for me.

Anyhow, things in the bedroom had changed drastically. I still loved my husband and thought he was he was incredibly attractive. I just didn't have the desire to do anything. My brain was numb and my body couldn't generate any good feelings. I was irritable and I'd prefer not to be touched. Trying so hard to cover up my secret addiction, I'd engage in the 'sexual stuff' anyway. It was awful. I felt like i was going through the motions of a once-meaningful act. I was just lying to him and to myself.

I've only been clean for a few months now, but things are becoming more normal in the bedroom...along with every other aspect of my life.  It's one of the hardest addictions I've had to combat though (smoking being the hardest). Percocets are easy for me to get my hands on. Nobody knows I'm addicted either (so I'm not left feeling like people are watching my back, waiting for me to relapse). And I've lied to myself in believing that the drugs don't negatively affect me. When I was high, I felt like I was more sociable. I wasn't nearly as insecure. I felt more motivated to do things. I was still able as a ((normal)) human being; i could drive, go to work, see my friends, and act like a good wife for my husband.

But these were deceptions. The truth was, the more pills I popped, the more withdrawn I had become. I was becoming a shell of a person. I was still "with it", but in my head, I was somewhere else. I had become so preoccupied with when I had taken my last pill, how many pills I had left, and how I was going to budget my time with the amount of pills i had left.  It was hell,....and no one knew about it.  Even now, nobody even knows that I'm trying to stay clean...because no one (besides the doc) knew I was using.

It's hard, but I keep reminding myself of why I want to stop. I don't want to deal with the physical ramifications. Also, I don't want my husband to come home, only to find my dead body. That's not fair to him. Plus, I know that there's a better life for me without the drugs. They bring me temporary happiness...and that happiness is artificial and can ultimately result in the death of me. I don't want that anymore.

My hope and prayer is that anybody who is seeking help in getting over this addiction will find the strength within themselves to do it. It's hard, but the victory that comes with sobriety is well worth the challenge.
Jesus is with you.
Hey guys listen im not really a blogger but i will help you guys with withdrawls. Heres a series of medications that are non narcotic thatll help ease the withdrawls i know from personal experience trust me. For the sweating goose bumps ad cravings take clonidine. For the stomache cramps and nasea take phenagrin and bentynl for the muscle aches take tylonol extra stengh and then take constipation medicine for diarreah (diarrhea). Hope this helps and if u have any questions email me at ***@**** ill be glad to help. Good luck brothers.
i see how you fell becaues my dad  is like that and i just whant him to  be in my life so much so what should i do my gram you to do pills i think he getts it from her he allows abues hies kids and hius gril my stepdad is like that to but he dont do pills i would call him my rill dad befro i would my rill one
I started attending al-anon mtg's and they've helped me to deal with my son's perc addition...try one, they work!
I know that I'm reading a VERY old posting of yours, but, I wonder how you're doing onmyown103...  And want to thank u for squashing this ugly MORON!!
I just have one question.  Can perc or coke make a man not have an ejactulation?
Hi I just found this sight and although it doesn't exactly fit but I would really appreciate your help in finding some stuff out. I had a severe back injury 9 1/2 years ago and then had a stabilizing surgery 2 years after that, ever since I have been in a spiral of just more and more pills,. I am to the point I feel like I am in a soup of medication and I don't know what is pain or side effects any more .I am on low doses of everything considering the length of treatment but there is no end in sight I am a lifer WBC (workman's compensation board) has me down for permanent disability witch i am not complaining about but that leaves little room for improvement . I can see no good coming from taking these drugs for the next 20 or 30 years but I don't see the alternative either. I think these pills  bring about some depression
The best way to do this is slowly.  Very slowly. Cut the pills in to quarters so that for the first week you only take a quarter less, then the next week half less, continue the quarter elimination until you are down to nothing.  Honestly, I quit cold turkey from a xanax percocet addiction and it was the worst thing I've experienced in my entire life.  I did some reading after the first 3 days of puking constantly and realized I had made a mistake.  You'll be happy you're off these if you never needed them for pain.  They are awful, cause mood swings that you never knew you had and ruin relationships.  They don't do anything good for a person who does this for recreation.  

I've recently had to take percocet for real pain.  I took half of a 325mg but ended up with crazy head spins that make me unable to even take my dog for a walk.  This is the worst addiction I can imagine.  I'm done with pain pills and will just deal with what needs to happen for me in my health problems without them.  The months between me being clean and now having to take them for pain made me realize that once an addict, always an addict and now I'm in trouble with dealing with legitimate pain.