Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Ethical Behavior of Doctors

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ethical Behavior of Doctors

I recently had a doctor's appointment.  I have several medical problems and/or diseases.  Of concern is constant pain in my legs.  I recently had an ultrasound of my legs which showed atherosclerotic disease.  I have an artificial heart valve as the result of damage done by radiation therapy for cancer.  At first the doctor was suggesting a procedure running a balloon through my arteries in order to clear the blockages, but because I have been unable to stop smoking he all of a sudden said, "forget it", I don't want to do anything unless you quit smoking.  He then said "I'm tired of screwing with you" and "if you don't stop smoking before your next visit (6 weeks) I'm not going to be your doctor any more.  I was so shocked I had no response to him.  However, after leaving I found myself extremely upset over the situation.  I also suffer from depression and needless to say this did not help.  My question is, is this appropriate behavior for a doctor?  Any, would you suggest that I seek another opinion from another doctor, and if so in what field.  From the information I have been able to gather about this disease, smoking is not necessarily the cause anyway, I do not have high cholesteral, high blood pressure, diabetes or any other of the causes, except perhaps family history, of which I'm not sure.  Thank you for your thoughts on my concerns, I am anxiously awaiting your response.
My email address is ***@****
NO, it is not the sign of a good doctor, he above all other people shoud know that smoking is an addiction and not a matter of will power, i would drop the loser and find another doctor.
You also have to remember that a doctor will NEVER! not agree with another doctor.  No matter what.  They have some sort of secret ethics code amoung themselves that they will always protect each other.  And if you're ever told that it's not true you'll be very disappointed in the end.
I am sure the doctor has his reasons for saying what he said. But We now know that smoking is highly addictive.

You need to be treated with some understanding, care and empathy.
I suggest you also see a substance abuse specialist or someone with special knowledge about the addictive nature of nicotine.

I teach ethics. I teach my students to respect their clients unconditionally-especially when a client is asking you for help.

I wish you good luck.