Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Evil Norco

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Evil Norco

I am new to this site and need help. I have an addiction to 10/325 Norcos.  WOW i cant believe i just typed that for the whole world to see!  I am constantly thinking about taking my next pill.  I was on Vicodin for 10 years then Norco 5/325.  I have been out of work for the last 6 months which is when my addiction really became out of control.  I get 30 5/325 every 10 days from the doctor for a bulding disc in my lower back.  But that just isnt enuff.  I go threw those in 2 two days.  I now buy them by the 60's at the 10/325 dose.  Norco is all i think about all day.  Am i sick???  Is this normal?  I start having withdrawls within 2 hours of not taking any pills.  WTF is that about?  I cant stand the leg pain it brings.  I have tried tapering but that does not seem to work.  The pills give me energy and make me feel great.  At least they used to.  Now they are just a monkey on my back.  Any suggestions on how to quit?  Anyone else out there that can give some advice.  Sorry if i did not inlclude alot of info.  

Thanks in advance!

If you really want to quit, which it sounds like you do, then you can do it. Plan on being physically sick for about a week. Take a look at the Tomas recipe on this site & stock up on everything it says. It does help. Make sure to keep hydrated and try to move around, which will be hard. After most of the physical is over make sure to have after care ready. There are lots of options out there like meetings, counseling & church groups. Just find whatever suits you best but make sure & get something because your chances of relapsing are twice as bad if you don't have a plan of after care. So happy you are ready to quit. You can do it & it will be well worth it.
U can do it I know that it's hard so hard but don't give up on tapering and be honest to your doctor so he can help u and talk to your family don't go through this alone if u don't need to have who can stay with u to help u and support u in your worst moments just keep with the want of stopping and u can get a lot of support on this site have faith u can do this.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.  Since Im knew I wasnt sure if i would get a response.

I MUST quit.  I have a young daughter to care for and a fiance' who is worried sick about my use.  I looked up the Thomas Recipe.  I dont have any means of gettin a Benzo.  I do have however, Flexiril and Ambien.  Will either of those work in place of the Valium or other Benzo?

I must be honest i am terrified of quitting, well just about as terrified as I am to continue using.  I really really want to quit.  I want to be happy on my own again.  I want to have thoughts again.  Yelllow pills consume my every thought now.  If i start having withdraws after only 2 hours does that mean that i am going to have even worse withdrawls in the weeks to come?  

Sorry to ask so many questions im just scared.

Thanks evry
hi....alot of people did without the benzos during WDs....they do help i think but you have to be careful and not trade one addiction for another with them...and they are evil to come off of as well...you have to taper them.  The Ambien might help you sleep as well as flexiril but be careful with both if you take them.  

I know you're scared but just set your mind that you will feel bad for a few days....get your laundry done....soft comfy clothes to lay around in...get stuff from the Thomas recipe...gatorade, soups, ensure or boost...imodium (immodium) for sure...crackers, fruit etc...other things in the recipe...just pretend you have a bad flu....you really will get thru it....you have to just be ok with 'not" feeling ok for awhile.  You can do this as countless others have, including myself.  It's so worth it to be rid of the pills!!  
and i would def get rid of any narcotics in your house...flush them....also cut ALL ties with who ever you are getting them from, ie: friends, dealers, etc.

you can't take what you don't have right??  set yourself up to succeed...let your hubby help you.  
I just went through a similar story- I was taking 120mg a day for a long time.  I tapered pretty fast to 20mg a day and then CT from there.  it was hard for sure but I also have a young kid and thats why I needed to do it.  It just got out of control so quickly and it seemed ok to take them at the time because they were prescribed but the reality is that they are drugs and it alters your thinking and actions.
taper as much as you can/can control and then CT.  it does suck but its not that bad; the fear of quitting is harder then actually quitting!
Lot's of great food for thought for you above. Dukie31 said a good one about fear. Worry and fear can drain us of all the energy it takes to solve the problem.

You ask "am I sick, is this normal". It's normal. Addiction or at least dependency is a major side effect of pain medication. Don't even think that what happened to you is a social problem. It's completely common. It certainly happened to me. My pain meds quit working because I needed much more than I was getting. With your prescribing doctor cutting down your amount to 30 per month, sounds like he/she wants you down to a manageable level.

Becoming free and working on recovery is completely within your grasp as you can read from the support posts above. That's what I did and life is so much better on this side of the fence.

But, what about the bulging disk? With my 4 bulging disks sticking into nerves, an ESI series (epidurals) really helped me. Did your prescribing doctor ever mention that route to you?

Keep posting and keep the willingness for recovery up front in your mind. You can do this.
The feeling are overwhelming! I just want to rip my legs off and get away from myself so bad! How do you get thru this awful feeling???
i know it's hard right now, but you will get thru it!  just take hot hot baths with epsom salt and it will help!  i was taking 2-3 when i went thru it.....just hang tough and keep telling yourself....every min, every hour you feel bad, it's that much closer to being free of the pills!  you can do this!  just keep posting for support when you have questions about your symptoms.
Try Restless Leg available at Walmart.  I hear it works pretty good.  Also Immodium helps it a little bit too as odd as it sounds.  It's because it binds in your intestines similar to an opiate but does not cross the blood/brain barrier.  Just remember, this WILL pass as uncomfortable as you are now.   You are doing great...hang in there!
Thanks so much everyone.  Just knowing that there are people out there who care enough to respond makes this a little easier.  I will look fo Restless Leg, thanks NoLife4Me. I will also try some immodium.  I thought that was for the runs so i hadnt picked any up.  I have a Rx available and have chosen NOT to pick it up!!!  I am doing this cold turkey.  Please send lots of luck my way.  I have been hooked for years, my body and mind have no idea how to survive on its own.  I know this will take time.  i hope the meds help with the leg pain.  (REALLY PAINFUL) I have been taking Motrin for my REAL pain in my back with limited results.  I had WLS 3 years ago and am not allowed any NSAIDS which is what started my downward spiral on Vicodin/Norco. Please wish me luck.  Your responses are helping!!!

Lostsoul27
PLEASE.... PLEASE cancel that script.  I promise you the temptation will be too great and in a weak moment, you will cave.  Please remove that possibility now by cancelling the script.
i agree with ImDONE....please cancel that refill....i had to do the same thing...i canceled my last refill..i thought it would be hard....but once i got them on the phone it was actually easier than i thought!  and they asked me if i wanted it on "hold'....i told them NO....cancel it permanently....you will feel so much better!  no temptation!  good luck and keep posting for support! you can do it!  
i really dissapoint myself.  I tried all day i mean ALL fricken day with horrible pain and i just caved and took one.  i hate it!  This is what i was scared of...all of this pain. Are there any groups specifically for opiate recovery, not NA but specific to opiates? Just wondering.  Thanks for listening...
That is exactly why you can NOT have access to the drugs.  We cave in those moments, especially early on.  Please - get rid of them - the sooner you start the process, the sooner it will end.  The NA/AA groups and/or "opiate recovery" groups aren't really going to help until you stop taking the drugs.
The person that said cancel the script

Omg great great advice.  You will think about getting it trust me.
Flush them get rid of them. I did I stopped from 6 then said oh taper to one than today said forget this crap bye bye no more. I just have to deal with it.
everyone is right.  I had such a terrible episode full of pain and panic that i caved.  I no longer have pills.  I know i can do this!!!  I have the support of my family and from ya'll here.  Thank you so much.  I hope i did not let yall down...
You didn't let anyone down.  The truth is, it's friggin hard to get clean.  You got a small taste of what it's like.  Most people relapse, which is why aftercare of some sort is so vital.  Another complication is when you have legit pain.  Your addiction tells you that you need the little yellow bastards, but its a lie.  Most things your mind and body will be telling you are.  There are other options to deal with your pain.  Live in a tub full of Epsom salt, especially during the WD if you have to.  And get a gallon of Immodium.  I promise you will be glad you did.

Right now, you need to get rid of all pills.  It's just too tempting.  Good luck, we are all rooting for you!
Quitting is the hardest thing i have attempted.  I quit meth in the past - 9 years ago and what a dream that was compored to these pills.  I have messed up alot along this way which is why i havent written but I AM READY now  i know i need to do this for myself and for my family.  I am also taking Effecxor and Abilify together for depression and mood disorder.  They will not (which is prolly a good thing) prescribe me anything for my anxiety which is what i was taking the Norco for.  I please pray i can get thr this! Please please!
Do you have access to more pills?  If so, you really need to tell your dr you don't want them, and let any sources you have know you are done.  Get rid of their numbers too.  If you know there are no more pills to be had, then. Oving forward is a heck of a lot easier when those cravings and mental games start.  And you have to find some kind of aftercare for sjpport.  This site is great, but you need other people to nelp ylu through this.  We can't do this alone.  I wish you the best and no judgement...we have all been where you are nowl. It takes work, but it can be done.  Hang on!  
i do not have access to any more pills.  I made sure of that!  It is 3am and im awake.  That makes it 12 hours since the last pill.  Woohoo!  Every hour counts!  I cannot wait to live a life with clarity damn it. I have been trying the Thomas Recipe without much luck but i will not knock as i was lacking vitamins anyway.  Thanks for all the support everyone.  I am tired but cannot sleep.  I hope that this will all be over soon.  
You will appreciate it after when you have that energy crash so keep taking the vitamins.  Don't stress out about not being able to sleep.  It's pretty normal.
Great job on quitting.  You won't regret it.
Keep posting for support.
You are doing great!!!   The first 48- 72 hours is the hardest.  All I could about was how I felt & how long it's been.  I became a clock watcher and dang if I didn't think it moved backwards a few times!!   I just kept telling myself that I am stronger than these pills, and this too shall pass.  Every minute and hour that passed was one that I was healing.   I'm sorry to say that not being able to sleep wasn't one of my symptoms.  Although I did sleep horribly if that is any consolation.  In and out of sleep, strange dreams, toss & turning, hot/cold, sweaty, etc.  Sleep will return.  Nobody has ever died from lack of sleep, but it sure does make you feel like crud!   If you can find some funny movies, a good book, music or activity you can do while sitting there awake, it helps.  I used to color coloring books.  LOL!  
Hello everyone.  I am officially at 36 hours.  Wow i cant believe it 36 hours! I am going to try and get some sleep but i just had to post the good news.  I am very proud of myself.
Great job!! Keep it up!! It gets easier trust me!!
congrats on 36 hours!  you will be feeling better soon!  just keep close to this site and keep posting for support!  you CAN do this!  way to go!  :)
Congrats to you. you have inspired me. i am also going to quit Soon and found this. keep posting and hang in there.
Hang in there and make sure you are staying hydrated.  You are at about the halfway point...thanks for checking in!  
You SHOULD be proud . . . 36 hours is great, and you should start feeling better very soon and it does get easier.  Hang in there and keep posting :)