Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Ex-opiate addict and new back pain....

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ex-opiate addict and new back pain....

I used to be addicted to opiates of any kind for a few years (2007 to 2010) and have been clean since June 2010 with the help of going to rehab for 60days, still seeing a psychiatrist regularly, and being on a suboxone regimen. After being on suboxone for nearly two years and finally weening myself down to about 1 - 2mgs a day in hopes of being 100% clean by the end of the year (I was heavily addicted and realize my plan is a lot longer than most...), but now my bad luck comes into play and my back got injured relatively severely at work. I have been in pain and on the couch for about a month now and am on workers comp. I have seen a few doctors, and physical therapists who have expressed to me how bad it really is and I am getting an MRI next week. Now here is my problem, because of my old opiate dependance, getting any kind of pain medication from a doctor is near impossible  without them looking at me like I am out to get 'high', even though they see the pain I am in. One doctor knows about my old opiate dependency and the others do not, but explaining my need for a higher dose of pain killers than a normal person is something I am having a hard time doing. I do live in FL where the pill epidemic is crazy, so I do understand the concern, but my pain is legitimate and I don't know what to do. I am not looking for crazy amounts, but because of my opiate tolerance still, vicodin does nothing, and so far only taking 2 perc 10's every 5-6hrs is the only relief (I was able to get a script for 12 of these...they didnt last long obviously.)

So I guess my main questions are if anyone else has ever had to deal with this, and if so, how did you tell the doctor that vicodin or anything lower than a perc 10 is a waste of time and just more or less is going to hurt my stomach from all the tylenol without sounding like you're just 'fishing for drugs.'  (I also have ulcerative colitis, so they least amount of tylenol or anything like that the better for it.) Did you tell the doctor about your opiate addiction or even the fact you're on suboxone right now? How did you deal with the withdraws off and on (pain killer, suboxone, pain killers, suboxone, etc.) And how did you deal with your own feelings about coming so close to being 100% free of all opiates and being set back for who knows how long....

Thanks for any and all help. :)
I don't have an answer for your situation however, I would also suggest being 100% honest with a trusting doctor with everything you are on currently (ie the suboxone) and your past, that way they can treat you better and maybe find something more suited for you than what they would normally give people without your history.

The reason I say this is I have migraines and my doctor suggested that it would be best to just given me codeine, however I was 100% honest with him and said I've been addicted to codeine and that would be a problem, from that point my doctor research other options to treat migraines without opiates.

In your case they may be able to put you on a different kind or sort, I'm not sure (i'm not your doctor lol). However I'm very big on keep an honest line of communication up between your doctor and yourself and you will be surprised how much your doctor is actual trying to look out for your personal health and well being.

Also letting me know your on suboxone may so your in recover and not drug seeking too..

That just my 2 cents worth.    

Good luck