Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
FWIW... Those with low energy

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

FWIW... Those with low energy

So... I realize results will vary and this is my personal experience - but I still need to share.  I've read about a lot of ppl here having really low energy after getting clean.  I'm not immune to that either.  I've had to w/d just about every month for the last year. After, I usually do not want to do anything for at least a week.  I don't have any energy and feel very depressed (mainly because I'm no longer high and don't have pills).  However, this time is different. First, I found this site. Thank you everyone for being so caring the day I showed up.  Second, I read about the Amino Acid Protocal.  Now... I've NEVER taken vitamins in my life. I felt like they were just a waste of money.  However, I'm now and on Day 6 and here's what is happening:

* I have an amazing amount of energy and strength.  I haven't felt like this in 10 years. It's rather strange.
* I've been exercising 2 - 2.5 hours/day since Day 2 of being clean. That is not common. Even when I'm high, I may only get in an hour/day - but then I may go 3 weeks without doing anything.  It's the up/down of pills that causes me to not really care about my health.
* While exercising, I've never felt stronger. I feel like I'm constantly at a 8-9 and can accelerate or add power as needed.  On pills, I'm lucky if I'm at a 5.
* I've lost my REALLY BAD sweet tooth this last week.  No cravings for simple sugar (and this is from someone that typically would go through a 1/2 gallon of Ice Cream every 3 days) and I live with someone that has a full shelf in the pantry filled with candy. It's like a 7-11 aisle in my pantry.
* I've reduce my caffeine to just a half/cup this morning. Tomorrow I plan on getting rid of it completely. I haven't needed it - but while using, I was a caffeine junkie. I was using caffiene to try and chase the pill high. Then.. I crash hard a few hours later.
* I have ZERO interest in TV.  And when high, I could sit there and watch 5 hours without a problem. I haven't been able to get through a 30 min. program in 4 days.  I find it boring and uninteresting.
* I get up at 5:00am, take vitamins, and am out the door by 6am for an hour walk/run.  Today, I've told myself that I will run/cycle around noon and then clean up and go see mom. It's now almost 10am and I'm going running after this post. I don't feel anxious, just exciting (once again!) to get outside and stay active.
* I've spent as much time outdoors the last couple of day than indoors. I have my iPod on everywhere i go - rocking out with myself - and make excuses to go places, just to be out.

There's more - but I'm rambling now.  What I'm saying is that I've been cycling for 20 years and working out (endurance/triathlons/distance running) for 7 years.  I don't remember ever having this much available energy or desire.  My mood is very good and that may play a role.  I'm somewhat without answers, but I do know that this is not typical for me. The only things that have changed in the last week are: I'm not on pills and I'm taking everything in the Amino Acid protocal.  Also, because I haven't had a sweet tooth or junk food desire, I'm eating well.  Balanced meals 3x/day + 1 or 2 protein shakes (but may just have fruit otherwise).  Last, I've been sleeping well and have reduced stress.  In the past, I haven't been able to stay clean because of the lack of energy + the stress of needing to get things done. That has always caused me to relapse. But, now... I'm so excited about this new found energy that I know pills can not match. I can only guess that can help with sobriety.

I hope this helps a few ppl. We don't need to live like zombies any longer. If you have any questions - please ask. Thanks for reading.
-David
If I ate 3 meals a day and protein shakes, I'd probably weigh 400lbs...but I do agree that physical activity helps out a lot. I just can't get motivated to do anything...plus today I'm feeling crummy from a cold/flu...blah
What are the dosages of the amino acids that you are taking?  And you said you are following everything on it?
Yes, I'm following the protocal as suggested.  I'm at the high-end of those where it suggests you can start at a lower dose but can take up to XXXXmg/day (such as 5-HTP and DLPA).  It is about 17 vitamins in the morning, 8 before lunch, and another 18 at night - plus another Vit. C thrown in between those times.  So.. quite a bit if you follow the protocal.

Catmagnet - sorry to hear you are feeling crummy.  Hope your motivation kicks in soon. FWIW, I've lost 10lbs since eating better and taking the vitamins.  You will not gain weight (unless it's muscle)... if that is a concern for you.  You're body will think it's starving and store the sugars/carbs if you don't feel it light and often. If it knows you are consistent with giving it energy - it will use what you give it. Anyway, hope you feel better very soon.
WOW!...tell me the vitamins u r taking?  really...i have been taking a bunch of aminos and vitamins..a protein shake each am and working out as well...still have the low energy problem tho alot... share your regime?  (:
I'm not feeling too energetic and am pretty depressed. I stopped my vitamines bc they were making my stomach sick...I'm going to go take them right now. Maybe I'll get rid of these blues. Corey
Hi worried - I'm taking everything in the protocal found on this site: http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Addiction/Amino-Acid-Protocol/show/15?cid=66

Exactly as suggested.  Nothing more (or less).  

Corey - sorry to hear.  I hope you feel better very soon.

All - I only write this post as someone that has a very close eye on energy/efficiency when working out.  I always wear a time/distance/HR watch and have every workout logged on my PC.  So... it's very easy to tell when things are good and when they are bad. When they are good, I try and figure out what has changed. This whole week has been really good and the only change is the vitamins.  I don't know what else to say.  Again, I've never taken any vitamins before - so I don't have any long term data. But I can't help but make the connection. Probably what I've enjoy more than energy is that I haven't had any of the normal 'poor me' moments during this last week being clean. I usually spend the whole first week in the 'poor me' phase. Hope this helps.
I'm glad that your enjoying some results.  Congrats!  I'm almost 5 months clean, and I too am still struggling with energy/motivation.  I do have some good days where I feel 'good', but the bad days still kind of outweigh the good.  I still have days where I'm just so tired that I don't even want to leave my bed...it SUCKS!  I want to do things, but my energy levels don't always cooperate.  Sometimes excercise makes me feel better, but most often, I just end up more tired than when I started.  I eat well, although I've always been underweight.  I had a complete physical not long ago, and everything checked-out A OK.  Sorry to ramble...I'm just glad that the Amino Acids work for you.  I wish that I could take them as well.  I tried, and my stomach just wouldn't tolerate it.  I now just take a women's complete vitamin supplement, and even that gives me hours of heart-burn quite often.  Even when taken with a meal.   Anyhow, congrats on doing such a great job!
The highest mg of some of those i could find like tyrosine was 500 mg....2000 mg 3 x a day would be 12 pills of just that....i do my best but i counted it up and it was like 100 pills a day...have you found some stronger tabs anywhere so i wouldnt have to take so many....i am lucky if i can get 4 tyroine a day which is 2000 mg....i drink the amino fuel but it does not have those recommended amounts in them....help appreciated
i'm impressed. you've got some determination!! i moved this up so newbies wouldn't miss it.
i think you can find higher mgs online.
I read every post here and i am just wondering what is with the ice cream??  I couldnt get enough ice cream in me(maybe that is where the 35 lbs came from!!!)  I dont like ice cream any other time.  Once i stopped the pills the cravings for sweets left.  Just a question.

I too am doing the vitamin thing and think it has helped.
I just returned from GNC and purchased just about everything, not all.  I am not an athlete--quite the contrary.  Plus I'm overweight.  I've taken the same E, 5HTP, and multivitamin already.  I'll take the mag. and calcium tonight for sleep and drop the tylenol PM.  I plan to take everything else starting tomorrow.  I hope I have even a 1/4 of your energy and success.

I still crave, crave, crave.  It's only day 12 for me.
FYI...I studied up on the SAMe verses methionone which is the presurser to SAMe...much cheaper and stated that taking the methione is often a beetter option as the SAMe is not real stable once it hits the GI tract...methionone is much more stabe, cheaper and more will be absorbed for the same benfit...this amino is for moods and depression and will help with energy...25 mg of DHEA has also been recommended to me by my pain mgt doc and i think it is helping...also if i could quit working so much it would probably help  LOL
Thanks for the info worried.  That's great to know. I will add the methione and DHEA.

Rue10 - I'm glad this inspired you and I hope to hear a great story from you very soon!

I'm on Day 7 today and still feel great. I cleaned the house, worked, BBQ'd, and worked out (oh - and gave up caffiene today!). Had more than enough energy for everything.  

Please note: It's a constant energy. It's not superhuman like the pills can make you feel for an hour or so.  It's a solid, all-day, get sh*t done energy. Which I'm very happy to have back.  : )