Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
False readings for drug testing>>>>

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

False readings for drug testing>>>>

I know there are certain legal drugs that can cause a false reading on a drug screen, that will test as positive for amphetamine.  What are these drugs and how do they read false?
Tags: Addiction
Im sorry but I am not familiar with which "legal" drugs can give false test results. Are you asking about prescription and otc drugs "mixing" with that as a result or a prescription or otc, "by themselves", giving a false positive? If Im making sense at all...
I just didn't see anybody respond to your question and hated for it not get some attention. I just can't think of any valid phantom amphetamine or intimater. Something like eating a 55 gal. drum of poppy seeds a testing positive for opiates.

Maybe some of the old hands here like Bodymechanic, Thomas03 or hippie can dig up something from their archives. If you really get lucky maybe WitchyWomen will respond. She probaly has a cookbook, ha! ha! Just kidding....

Good luck,
feelsobad
Hi Melrose, your post was really interesting.  In fact most cold and cough remedies, diet pills, etc. can cause false positives for amphetamine.  The list I found was much too long to remember so the easiest thing to do is go to www.passyourtest.com/falsepositive.html and read all the info.  Hope this helps.....Linda
Unpilled, I really appreciated your response to my post.  Still trying to taper but I feel terrible.  This monkey has been after me for over 20 yrs.  First codeine and the rest is history.  I'm an AA failure and know there must be an alternative support.
So glad to have found this board.  I just hope it stays intact.
...Linda
Ive known a few people that dont use anything and have tested positive for opiates from eating poppy seed muffins!! And not alot of them either!! So it doesnt take alot to show up. Who would have imagined?!                 Jerri
Can poppy seeds ease w/d's, hmmmm???? :) :)
I had to post here as the maximum was reached on the other thread.  I'm confused as to what you are taking now?  Are you taking Suboxone or Bup?
You know I really always thought the poppy seed thing was just water cooler talk, an old wives tale. I'll make sure not to to make light of that anymore.
Thanks for the correction. I knew I had stumbled (literally) on that question. I think I'll stick to topics I know a little more about...like how wd's feel. Now that we all know too well.

TGIF
feelsobad, but gettin' better
Whoops I meant to add a comment to you in my last post.  You had been sounding pretty down in your last few posts and then all that arguing happened.  I just hope you are doing OK.  Write so we don't have to worry about you.
okey dokey.  It has been 5 days and I'm quite snotty to my lovable little family.  My superman husband is so understanding, he thinks I'm under the weather.  He has no idea...  I am teetering - will I do it again or not.  I'm just so BORED. I can't bring myself to fold laundry.  In a house full of 5 people - there is never ending laundry.  I wish I wasn't so sure that I'll eat more pills again.  I wish I was stronger...
I wish I could remember the source of this information but I cannot.  I'm pretty sure I saw it at work where we do a lot of drug screenings.  What I do remember is that it is very unlikely that poppy seed cakes will give a positive drug test. If you know you haven't used bring in the bottles of what you are taking to the tester. Interestingly enough oxycontin and percocet give negative results on a test.
Girl, hang in there...I am on day 32 and I have 3 wild boys and an unsupportive BF. You are thru the worst of the physical w/d, the mental however will play demons with you. As it is right now, angel on one shoulder, devil on the other....the angel loves you the devil does not. Trust me...you will feel better. Take care of you....how old are the kids? Can they help w/chores while mommy gets better? Can super husband hang in there a little longer? You are there, don't go back, you will just have to start all over again and it doesn't get easier each time....Have you heard of the Thomas Receipe, it got me energy and mood enhancment and still does.....it is on a post previously I think by suzieneedshelp (she's great by the way, read her posts!!)
Keep coming here, during the day not too many people are on but there is usually someone!!! Even if you just need to type out your feelings....
I feel your pain but I am also living proof you can do it, it's tough but you will be happy you did.
Peace to you!!
Tammy
I have 3 days off work and I have decided to test my addiction to buprenorphine.  My usual dose is 1mg a day and it has been almost 36 hours since my last dose.  I have been taking it for about 4 months.  Plenty of time to get a habit. Thus far my symptoms have been imagininary.  Anziety, shortness of breath and I am starting to get cold. I have some adivan and clonine because I am sure if the show comes to town, it will be here tomorrow. I can only hope it will not be too bad.

I will of course need your kind words and support.  I will document any symptoms that I have so others will have an idea of what to expect when coming off this drug.
You will become stronger with every passing day even if you don't realize it at the time. Those at their absolute strongest have suffered a relapse or two, failed on their taper program or given up completely for the time being. Strength should be measured in your determination for a better, healthier & cleaner living life. Even if you should take more meds after being 10 years clean, that strength will not deminish. It may suffer a ding or two but will not fail to serve you in the future. If you have a dent in the hood of your car, it may look a little less attractive but it will still perform & drive you towards your goal in time. That also applies to your strength. Pills, medication & drugs of all sorts, sizes & shapes are very adapt to hide not only your happiness...but your strengths, weaknesses & determination behind their cloudy little veil of deceipt. It's hard to feel strong when a pill makes you feel SO much stronger. Keep in mind that this is too a lie produced by the narcotics. You say that you're teetering. Remember...every teeter has a tawter. You will feel the upswing very soon from the freeing of your mind, body, spirit & very soul from a living teeter-tawter game of drug abuse. The laundry can WAIT. It's time for you to heal & regain that self-love that so many of us addicts forfeit in exchange for our abusive lifestyles. You will see the clouds physically part from before your eyes. You will feel the world-heavy weight lift from your soul. It will take time & time has proven to be the addicted's enemy. Be it the wait between refills, the wait in the doctors office, the wait in the pharmacy or the wait for the withdrawls to leave us to our emotional state of freedom. There's that word again...FREEDOM. Freedom will come but it has it's price & it's price is again...TIME & determination. I'll pray that you will feel that well deserved freedom soon. You've got 5 days invested & have a lifetime to go but the reward is far beyond what I could've expected at the time of my abuse. "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone. I can see all of the obstacles in my way." If we can see these obstacles, the chance of overcoming them unscathed, unbattered & much healthier is GREAT. Hang in there. You have a lot of good folks here in your corner & the fight is under way. The worst part of our war is starting the battles.

FINISHED!!
Glad to hear your hanging in there. Yes I got it. Wiill e`mail back. Just got home from work! Take care my friend.        Jerri           Yes poppyseed muffins do test positive on drug tests!!
If you don't mind my asking, why are you going off it?
Hi everyone FINALLY! I have 11 days clean I went in patient and it feels so good! Physically I feel great but I am white knuckling it cause I know the mental is coming. I went to the Eastern Shore To a place called Warwick Manor best thing I ever did for myself. For all the still suffering addicts it can be done. Bod bless all cleanbaddgirl
Still it is messed up  so plz e-mail me at ***@**** still.  ty!
Anyone can e-mail me at any time!
Oxycodone does come up negative on a standard opiate screen.  They have to test for it.  Poppy seeds will bring about a positive screen for morphine and codeine.  One would have to ingest something rich in them....poppy muffins, cake.  If someone were to eat a poppy seed bagel, they shouldn't have to worry about testing positive.  But, if one were to know they are being tested, caution is of importance and one can live without them for a while.  I have seen literature that states both arguments for the poppy seeds.  I tend to believe it to be true for two reasons:  1. Poppy seeds do contain the alkaloids of opium.  It is just argued whether ingestion of poppy seeds can bring the level in the body to over 300ng/ml.  2.  If it weren't true, it wouldn't be an issue.  Bodymechanic, I wish you the best on your journey this weekend.  I am sure many will be awaiting the results.  I hope they are nothing to write home about.
You know you always have my support and prayers.  You were there for me in the beginning, and I haven't forgot that. How long do you anticipate being on the Bup? If I remember correctly you started on a higher dose and brought the dose down to what you're taking now?  Please post and let us know how it goes. There's a lot of curiosity about Bup; your experiences will help those that go there after you. Love and good thoughts your way, Lisabet
Hi, I'm still hanging on. I sent you an email yesterday... did you get it? Glad to see you doing well.let me know if you got the email and I'll write again.
Hello everyone, I went to my Dr. this morning and he gave me a prescribtion of Carbidopa-Levodopa it is for Parkonson disease I dont have that, but my Dr. Said it can be use for restless legs syndrome, Im kinda scared of taking it, so I dont know if I will.
But I feel so much better today I got more sleep last night not that much restless legs, just feel a little sick to my stomach and alittle blaaa, but nothing like the last two days so Praise God for that and thank you everyone for all of your help. I will be online if anyone wants to leave me a message. Sweetusa
Best thoughts and prayers out to you for your struggle and courage this weekend.  Suzie
I can honestly say that you guys have actually convinced me to give it a while longer. I can't promise forever, but I'm going to do the entire weekend clean....  By the way - laundry waits for no one.  My poor husband has no flipping idea why I am like this.  But my very small children (3 under 7) have no clue either.  I do owe it to them, I've just convinced myself that I am more valuable on opiates.  Regardless - because you have bothered to care about a stranger - I will not use for the next two days.  That will be 7 whole awful days.  See you on Monday.
Im sooooo glad to hear your feeling good now.Maybe that med. your Dr. gave you will help. I have never had the RLS so I dont know what to tell you about it, I just have achey (achy) muscles everywhere (I didnt know I had so many muscles)till they all started in!! I just take ibuprofin 600mgs. and it helps. Its funny cause when they used to give me the perscriptions for it Id throw them away cause I couldnt get high from them..Im on day 29 and they take away all my aches and pains now!! Thank God for that.. Well you take care my friend.. Ill keep you in my prayers...              Jerri
my doc also gave me the same med for my legs RLS ,i have been taking it for a couple of days i am not sure if it doing anything at all,i havent had any bad side effects at all, what helps me is hot baths and walks ,i was told that there is a few defferent other meds for RSL that i can try if this dosent work and they are non nartoic so i am a little hopeful beacuse my legs drive me crazy at night.stay strong .
I read your post waaaay down at the bottom, and I wanted to answer but the thread was closed.  There is a maximum of comments per thread allowed.  

Have you thought about treatment options?  Can you talk with your husband or any of your friends or family about this?  You said no one understands addiction, but have you really sat them down and explained what is going on with you?

You said you felt like killing yourself, and you have to know that many of us have had those feelings before.  However, it is not the way to go.  Your little ones need you, and there is a way out of this.  It will take hard work.  Stay here and post, and I'm sure you will get a ton of advice and support.  We are all here for you.

P.S.  This maximum limit really sucks.
Good Morning. Thank you for your responds. I didnt try the med yet for RLS but I might try it tonight. I got about 7 hrs sleep last night Im use to getting around 9 hrs but not there yet, hahaha. RLS wasnt as bad, but about 4:45am this morning though they got restless. So I just got up because that drives me nuts, But today is my day 5, and im so happy, I know exactly what you mean about the Ibuprophen and also was precribed Celabrex and never took that either. I was looking for the high as well. But I will soon probably try Celabrex and take Ibuprophen when I need to.Also yesterday at the Dr. office I had one hydro left and kept it just in case, and I gave it to my Dr. Yesterday and said I dont want that, I dont even want to look at it. I just sad take it away Please. My Dr. is so helpful and there for me alot. Also I told my parents because they are always very supportive as well. But that is as far as it goes for people to know, My husband, parents, and Dr. and all of you of course. You all are very helpful and very good support. Maybe one of these days I will be more open to it and help others as well. And I would love to help anyone here to. Well I do write alot as you can tell, I will close for now and talk at ya all later. You are in my prayers, Love, Sweetusa ( Jennifer )