Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Fentanyl Withdrawals - how long do they last Cold Turkey?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I've been on a Fentanyl patch for the past 9 years. I went from 175mcg/hr down to 12.5 mcgs then 5 days ago I stopped cold turkey.  I don't take any other drugs except for my blood pressure meds.
The withdrawals have been BRUTAL!   I mean the most horrific thing I have even gone through.  When will this stop?  At night the minute I start to fall asleep it's like a demon takes over my body and I jerk and jump, twist and shout all night long - I get up and down out of bed, I exercise and even lift weights to try and stop the demon - but nothing works.  I haven't slept for more than 20 minutes at one time any night since stopping.  I'm scared!  I will choose not to live if I have to go back on Fentanyl but I can't take much more of these withdrawals.  
When can I expect the withdrawals to end and how long does it take to get back to my normal self with no effects whatsoever of the Fentanyl?  I seriously need help!  
Thank you
while i don't have much experience with this drug at all, i do know people that have. and they all went off the patch with the help of a doctor. keep us posted and keep your head up!  <33
Thank you addict...
I hope I NEVER have to do this ever again...  Fentanyl withdrawals are so brutal.
I felt like I was doing the right thing by taking two years to work myself down  from 175mcg/hr to 150, 100, 75, 50, 25, 12, and then cold turkey!  If withdrawals get worse than this then I don't think anyone could withstand it.
I just need to know how long this will go on.  I can't take much more.
I have taken fentanyl many times except I was iving it. It is a horrfic drug. Def one of the harder opoids to come off and I commend you on your courage and ambition to get off it. Like any other opiate you will not sleep for awhile and that is for me one of the worst parts. I love love love my sleep. I didnt sleep for 10 days straight in rehab coming off heroin and I thought i was going crazy. I was hallucinating so bad and id lay in bed at night and watch the ceilings crawling with bugs. I would def. look into buying hylands restless leg at your local pharmacy its OTC and works great for restless legs. I know what u mean with the legs and nothing helps really but I did get some relief from walking. If your not sleeping u may as well get up and go for a little walk around the block. U gotta wear yourself out and youlll eventually sleep. The mind is going 90mph right now and is thinking and conspiring agasint you to figure out how to get more drugs into your body. Do NOT fall for the demons tricks. This too shall pass. You are at day 5 and that is HUGE. Ur not turning around now promise me that. U just got to ride it out a few more days i promise you youll start to sleep within a day or two not 10 hour beauty sleep but a few hours. Anything you can get. I would pass out for like 10 mins here or there and somtimes u are so tired u dont realize u are actually sleeping. It starts slow but it will come back until one day u just crash. Until then hang tight and keep yourself occupied. Ur battling one of the hardest drugs to come off. And u did it ct. Commend yourself becuz ur no baby thats for sure. U should be proud of yourself and treat yourself to a smoothie. I just had one yum there awsome when u cant get much else down. And eat good fresh foods and veggies and stay HYDRATED. Trust me i used to not eat or drink and u feel 10x worse when u dont drink alot of water. Plus water is the way u flush out the toxins other than sweating its all u got. If u can get to a sauna that helps alot too it speeds up your detox and thats what u need. Take hot showers and listen to good music. Are you taking the thomas recipe? If not i would start now its not too late. Hang in there bud I know u can do it your so close! And your right life isnt anything on drugs! iTS not reality!
Wow.  I too, commend you for C/T off fentanyl...I did a slow taper after surgery from 75 mcg every 2 days to 25 mcg before switching to Targin (oxycontin/nalexone and then finally C/T 39 days ago.  Addicted gave you rock solid advice...I would add Melatonin for sleep (take it when the sun goes down) a good multi vitamin and VItamin C ascorbate (your body is likely very low in C) potassium, and magnesium...It's this deficiency that causes the RLS and other muscle spasms.  Exercise really helps...The more the better.  Start small and work your way up.  Also-whey protein shakes have all the amino acids that your body/brain needs to rebuild.  You can buy a 2lb bottle at walmart-add 2 scoops, milk, banana in blender and drink 2 a day...I really noticed a difference when I started these (around day 5)
You are very brave and strong...Be proud of yourself and keep on moving forward...It gets a little better every day.....Sending support...Lu
Lulu, THANK YOU for your support!  I actually slept 2 hours this morning for the first time in 9 days and awoke without being twisted in a pretzel.  I pray that this is the beginning of the end of these withdrawals.  
How long did it take you before you could sleep the night through?  How long before the RLS and body twisting stops?  I walk two miles every day and that seems to help a tiny bit, then at night when the demon enters and I begin the twist & shout, I lift weights and do deep knee bends. I also take hot showers (I've never taken so many showers in my life)  Last night I felt like my shoulder dislocated from the twisting so I put a heating pad on it and realized that was VERY helpful.  I wish I had thought of that earlier.
FENTANYL IS A DEMON DRUG!  At the time it was prescribed for me, I was only suppose to live 3 months - but surprise I beat this disease (Ssc) now I have to beat the Fentanyl drug and then I am home free... I HOPE
I wish I knew exactly how long I can expect to feel the withdrawals.
I have been reading your posts and, my heart breaks and I know exactly how you feel.  Although my demons now come in the methadone form those withdrawels remind me way to much of the past ones I had. I do know what its like to twist and turn all night and feel like your going to die, and I know I need to go through this again to win the battle,  but you are like a super hero going as far as you have to rid your demons, your an encouragement to me as a very new comer to this site. you are awesome!!!!!
You are beating the demon!  Hey listen...You are a survivor and now you're going to not only just survive...You are going to thrive!  Yes...Heat...It's my best friend...(:  The tub, the heating pads...if you have access to a sauna-use it (not steam but infrared)  They have them at health clubs, some tanning salons etc...It really helps the detox process.

It's hard to say how long your symptoms of RLS and insomnia will last.  I have good nights and bad nights at 40 days...But it gets better every day and the key is patience.  The important thing is: You've been through the worst part of Hell and you are on your way back!  Be proud of yourself...Be gentle with yourself...Keep doing all the good things that you are doing to make each moment the best it can be....And just take it one moment at a time.....The first week is the hardest...You can do this..And you ARE doing this....Sending support....Lu
I must say you are one strong woman and I am so happy you made it through your disease. God has a purpose for you and he was not ready to take you so early. Ur not being tested by god to show your desire to live life. And you are pulling so strong! Ur 75% there and you just have to keep pushing and youll see the light at the end of the tunnel. For me I didnt start sleeping for 10 days. At day 10 I started to get about 2 two hours a day and that lasted for a few days and by 20 days I was sleeping about 5 hours a night. I don't know if it will be as bad for you I was coming off 2 grams iv heroin a day which to be is like 10 100mcg patches a day. It was really nasty and I would never be able to go thru it again. My body would most liekly die if I had to go through the wds I did again. I do not have another one in me. Ive lost too much weight and my immune system hasnt built back up enough yet. The RLS will go away really really soon. You will have anxiety and jitters but they wont be constant and will come and go. I always had chills on and off for about a month. I would get like one or two a day once i got past 2-3 weeks. Hot showers kept me alive the first 2 weeks and they were all they gave me short term relief. The only problem was I never wanted to get out! i was so weak that I had to be carried to the bathroom and they put me in a chair and I sat there with the hot water pouring on me for what seemed like hours. But hey for what i spent on rehab im gunna use all the hot water I want. If you have a tub will it with hot water and epson salts and put on some music and lay back and u may be able to catch some sleep. Sleep is important because your body works 5x extra during sleep to detoxify your body. This is why I say its important to try and wear yhourself out by walking and excersizing like you said you were. 2 miles is great! U should be so proud of yourself. Uve proven your ability to survive and ur not far i promise. Keep posting on here and keep us updated with your situation.
Gosh... How can I thank all of you for your support!  Thank you is just not enough.
Today as I was taking my two mile walk (After as I said earlier) sleeping for 2 hours for the first time in 9 days - I had such a feeling of euphoria that I just wanted to shout to the Lord, Thank you for getting me through this mess.  
I do feel like I am on the uphill side of this battle now, but tonight will be very telling for me.  I fear the nights the most!  If I can sleep even for an hour without being awaken by the demon twisting, then I will know I have this licked!  
Again, I thank ALL of you for you kind words of wisdom and support!  This is truly the toughest thing I have ever done.  
PS... what's the deal with sneezing all the time?  How weird is that?  
You dont need to be so thankful to be thank yourself for getting through this im just trying to help those who are in the same spot ive been because it ***** sooo bad. Its great that your sleeping now and thats means alottttttt. Ur body is finally get over the curve and from here on its going to get significantly better each day that passes. Walked is great its going to be one of the only ways besides sex and chocolate lol that will release those natural endorphins right now. Yes I know what you mean about nights thats how it is for most people experiencing wd. Its very interesting that it worsens at night and I would imagine that its simply due to the fact that your less active both mentall and physically. So your sitting around thinking about it thus increasing your anxiety and depression. U also get colder when your less active and nights are usually the time i take a warm shower or bath. U may want to try what I did and switch your sleeping patterns to the day perhaps mid day when your feeling better after a walk. And get a free hours in if u can and at night dont and try and fight it if you know your not going to sleep. Theres nothing worse than laying in bed trying to sleep if you cant sleep. Sneezing is a very common thing in wd I do not know exactly why I would guess its just part of your CNS (central nervous system) being all outta wack. The same reason that you get goose bumps your skin receptors are screaming for something and dont know what to do. The will be the hardest thing youve ever gone through in your life and remember that this can be the last and only time you go through it. Sadly Ive been through the same thing many times but this last one was the worst and was my breaking point. I had hit rock bottom and I wasnt going back. This is the longest I have been sober in 8 years. 6 of those years were strictly (roxys, oxycontin, opana, fent, dilaudid) Last 2 being heroin ived. I never in the world thought I would touch heroin but my addiction to painkillers got so bad and I could no longer afford the pills. I was doing 20 roxy 30mgs a day at my worst. It was disgusting and switching to dope was my only choice. Little did I know than it made it 10x harder to get off of both mentally and pjhysically. I got an addiction to the needles in a very short time. Something I once hated. Now i HATE them all. I dont ever wanna go back to that dark place. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about the first 10 days of my wd. Freaking terrible. Would not wish it upon my worst enemy. Was actually just reading an artical about opiate addiction in the early 20s and 30s. At that time there was little reseach done and help for opiate addicts and of course heroin and morphine was so readily avaiable that they may have well handed it out. Anyways, of about 45,000 dependent paitents this one hospital in the study had over 5k of them commited suicide due to despondency over physical symptoms during the acute detoxification phase. Imagine just being thrown in a paded white room and having to handle that for weeks. I could never do it..i also think that kicking in jail would be a nightmere also. Boy the times have changed huh? Now you can go to a nice comfortable rehab and be given comfort meds like suboxone and methadone and benzos. Anyways before I got lost further on a tangent of my facisnation with opiate addiction I wish end it with again you owe me know gratitude, you are doing this all by yourself and your a very very strong person.. Not many people can come off fentynol cold turkey. Ur doing all the right things too and your not from what I can tell acting depressed. Ur positive about your recovery and thats great. I think that you should start attending some meetings if your feeling up to it as they will give you that same "high" you get from walking. They really make you feel good and give you a boost of confidence. Go for it you got nothing to lose. Take care
You are doing awesome...The sneezing will relent soon and then might come and go (it did for me but never as bad as week one)  That's your respiratory system trying to get rid of the opiates...The exercise is the best thing you can do to work that one out...Think about it like this: the sweating, sneezing, runs, vomiting, tears...All your body weeping out the poison...Try to see it as the positive thing that it is and do what you can to encourage it.  HYDRATE.  You need to replenish and put as many good things into your body as you can.  Are you taking vitamins?  Give your body and brain as much bolstering as you can...
Oh and exercise...chocolate...sex(:  what more could a girl want?  Hot baths.. LOL...

You are doing so well...Keep hanging on and keep posting...Lu
How you feeling today? Hope it got better and you got a little sleep last night?
Hi All,
Today is day 11 and I must say thing have improved greatly!  The demon Fentanyl still wants to haunt me but I was able to sleep 3 hours last night and the "Pretzel twisting" wasn't nearly as horrible as they have been.  It did go on for 5 hours last night but milder, much milder.  I can see the light at the end of this hellish tunnel!  
I told my husband that when I am completely this hell that is withdrawals, then I want to have a huge bond fire in the back yard and BURN to dust every last one of those leftover demon Fentanyl patches!  
I can tell you all that the BEST thing I did for myself was walk two miles every day and then lift small weights at night!  That and the L.O.N.G. hot showers saved my life!  I also made sure I was drinking plenty of fluids even when I couldn't eat much.  When I could keep something down I made sure it was high in protein so that my blood sugars didn't dive and make me feel worse.
The reason I tell you this is so that if anyone out there reads this one day and wants to go cold turkey off Fentanyl, then maybe my experience will help them.  You all have been so supportive of me that I want to be able to reciprocate!
I guess what I want to say is this… I prayed for a solid week before I decided to get off the Fentanyl and asked God for the strength to do it.  
I made up my mind that when I started there would be no turning back EVER!  No matter what!
When things went from bad to worse - I prayed for strength… When thing started getting better, I praised God for His help.
I believe God was the one who got me through this mess and as He says, "He will never leave me or forsake me!"  How awesome is that.
I look forward to the day that this journey is behind me and nothing more than a bad dream.
To ANYONE out there without a terminal illness I want to say, no matter how great your pain - do NOT allow the doctors to give you Fentanyl!  Had I know then what I know now, I would never have allowed them to put that first patch on me.
Now I still have an illness that is considered terminal - but I have out lived every other person on this earth with the same diagnosis (Ssc) and even if I die tomorrow I feel like at least I died with my dignity in tacked and not drugged up with Fentanyl!
I will keep everyone posted as to the very DAY that I am back to being myself - just for posterity.  But in the mean time, I can't tell you how much your support has meant to me.  You are a wonderful group of people with big hearts and I wish you all the very best.
Those of you who are thinking about going to detox or taking other drugs to get off Fentanyl - PLEASE don't trade one drug for another… you will just prolong the agony.  
I am such a little whiny wimp - so if I can do it - YOU CAN DO IT TOO!  I will pray for you and support you all the way, day and night if you want!  
Anytime you are ready to go cold turkey "2010dlk" you just let me know and I will be there for you day and night!  It just takes one time to say ENOUGH!  Then rip the band aid off and get-er-done!  I kept telling myself - I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength... and He did!  Lean on Him and He will get you through it too.  YOU CAN DO THIS!  
I am so proud of you! You already are sounding like a totally different person. You came to the forums lost, confused, and unsure of yourself and your possibilities. You have proven to yourself that you can accomplish anything and everything that you want to. You are no longer chained to a stupid patch that ***** out your soul. Uve not only beaten your illness but beaten one of the hardest narcotics in the world to get off. And youve done it cold turkey. U fought one on one and you had no help but your own perseverance. Within a few days you will feel better and better and your mind will no longer be clouded by lies and misjudgement. You will be the woman that your husband married once again and youll love yourself for it. Thank you for proving to others here that there is a way out and anything is possible. Keep it up and take one day at a time!
You brought a tear to my eye, Amiga...
What a long way you have come...Don't ever underestimate the power of the brain and a positive attitude...And don't ever underestimate yourself.  You are reclaiming your life and living on your own terms and that is inspirational....Please keep posting and keeping up all your amazing work....Lu
Day 12... I thought the worse was behind me but last night proved me wrong.  I had horrible withdrawals for 14 hours before they subsided and nothing helped, not even the hot shower or exercises.
I looked up the facts sheet on how long it takes for Fentanyl to be completely out of your system (50% in 17 hours)  then you have to half that again and again every 17 hours to come up with the true number of when it reaches ZERO!  that will be midnight tonight for me.  Which means that until it is completely out of my system I can't even start the count down to recovery.  It could take two or three weeks after my system is completely void of Fentanyl.  YIKES!  That is so scary...  I really thought I had this thing licked but I realize now it was just the beginning.  Oh well - whatever it takes and for however long, I will NOT go back on those demon patches.  Even if it kills me!  
Day 14
Still not sleeping for than just a few minutes at a time; like 20 minutes then I wake up for hours and sleep for a few minutes just before I get up in the morning.   The nights are just hellish!  still have jerky twisting limbs - I feel like my shoulders and hips are being dislocated.  But the symptoms are getting a little less wicked every day.  Last night at all day today I have sneezed my head off and it will not quit.  The demon Fentanyl is trying VERY hard to get me to put that evil patch back on!  The demon will not win no matter how long this takes.  
Hi Amiga,

I came off Fentanyl 75mg 4 years ago. It was the hardest thing i have ever done. I was put on it to get me through the head and neck cancer treatment. The help i got from the hospital was terrible. I really feel for you and want to tell you, you are nearly there, just keep going. You need to have loads of hot baths, and cuddles and from loved ones. Having understanding people around you is the way to cope with this. If you can get to a sauna, do that every day. Good luck and wish i could help more !
Hola Amiga...

I wanted to check on you and see if you're still holding strong....I know it's hard but it will get better...Keep battling that demon and be kind to yourself...You've come so far....Sending support....Lu
Day 16,  I am doing so much better now.  On Wednesday night I slept for nearly 3 hours at one time - woke up without jerking and twisting but stayed awake for the rest of the night.  Then Thursday night I had trouble getting to sleep again because the jerking and twisting returned with a vengeance.  
I know that I am near the end of this mess - but I just wish I knew WHEN I would feel like myself again.  Sleeping through the night and no twisting?  
I can tell you right now, COLD TURKEY is NOT for the faint of heart!  This has been the hardest thing I have ever done.
Can someone Please let me know how long the most painful cramps and backache will stop It has been 24 days I managed to wean down to 100 from 200 and quit cold turkey among many other opiates,  I don't remember my first few days because they actually strapped me down like a crazy person and form 1 me had a security guard outside my door, not fun.  They gave me valium and clonadine which I guess helped the jerking but anyone with restless legs that is driving them crazy ask your doctor for a small prescription for mirapex it is for restless leg syndrome and that is one thing I haven't had to deal with but I am so tired I feel like I have weighted boots on when I try to do anything. I actually made it through my first day of work but on the second had to go home.  I gave my notice because I have battled addiction for almost 20 yrs and am going to a place for a year but I have to get rid of the withdrawals before they will let me in so if anyone knows how long these cramps and exhaustion lasts please any advice.
I also just wanted to ask you.  I quit methadone off of 180 cold turkey and it took 6 weeks of no eating or sleeping but my dog got me through but these withdrawals from fentanyl the cramps are so much worse that I went to the hospital to make sure I didn't have an infection and the backache, wow I would prefer to not sleeping to this.  How long have you been off of the methadone now?
I stopped the fentanyl patch(%(mg) cold turkey on June 12. While I was in the hospital the doctors put me on morphine oral 15mg.I did not realize the fentanyl was messing up my need for food and pancreatic problems. The morphine didn't help any so I stopped it also on June 25, 2012. I went cold turkey because I had no choice. Constantly sick as a dog, could not eat, lost a lot of weight. Went to a GI doctor who put me on enzymes to help with the pancreatic problems. (I am not a drinker, the problem was with all the drugs they had me on) The withdrawal is rough but the sleeplessness got the best of me so I went to my primary care doctor who SUGGESTED I go pack on the morphine and he could lower the dosage. Now that did not make a lost of sense to me because I have been off the patch for almost 3 weeks and the morphine for almost two weeks and I refused! I just wanted to get a decent nights sleep. So be gave me Diazepam 5mg. I had to take a couple the first day but then cut back to the prescribed dosage 2.5 as needed. So far this is day two and I have had some reasonable sleep for the first time in weeks. I only take this medication WHEN needed for sleeping. I take Norco 10/325 for pain issues only 2x a day. The is the only other medication I take and have to work through the withdrawal but I am doing it. Yes it is rough. I have been through withdrawal before and I know what to expect. The withdrawal is worth the effort when I see what these meds have done to my pancreas I don't know how long this withdrawal will take but it is definitely worth the try after seeing what the fentanyl did for me ... nothing enough for pain and the morphine was just another drug. to substitute.
I have DJD/DDD issues post op surgery. My family doctor knows my medical history and was only trying to accommodate my pain issues. He also has similar problems and understands what I am going through. I have know my family doctor for 25 years.
My family doctor said I went through the withdrawal too fast and he could not offer me too much medication to help. (This is a VA doctor with a limited pharmacy formulary). Otherwise I would have to join a drug addict support group to get other medication which I am not willing to try. I don't need any more drugs in my system. I need to clean out the drugs that are already in my system and this is the best way I know how.
As mentioned, I stopped the fentanyl patch 50mg on June 12, 2012 and the morphine on June 25th, 2012 and toady is July 8th. At least I can get a decent nights sleep along with vitamins and forcing food into my system weather I like it or not.
This is just my situation and I understand my family doctor was just trying to accommodate my pain issues so I have got to give him some credit for trying but I refuse to go back on these drugs. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS ROAD FOR EVERYONE. Get any type of help you need because it takes a strong mind to overcome what these drugs do to the body. I know what these drugs did to me. There is talk of a pain pump but I am looking for for steroid shots which sometimes have helped in the past. I will leave that up to my pain management doctor. I am sure we have a lot to discuss but my sincere advise is to NOT take the fentanyl patch. The side effects are horrible to to through and there is not enough support out there. I have even written to the company and of course no reply. Morphine might be an easier drug to overcome and my doctor recommend that I go back on the morphine and he could taper me down but I have been off both drugs for two weeks or more and I know I can do this. I have no choice. I know I will never be pain free but I have to learn to live with that but at least I am making progress off the dope medication. Please find out all you can about the side effects of the fentanyl patch. You don't realize what this drug does to your body until after the fact and that is usually too late. I know I will make it.
I am 58 years of age and will investigate other options for pain relief. Please do research before you try any type of drug and watch your symptoms. There is not much a doctor can do when he/she wants to accommodate your pain systems but does not always give you the proper information. I had been on the fentanyl patch since about Jan 1012 and I am done with it now. Never again, it was killing me. I can't tell you how much weight I lost because I am too embarrassed to talk about it.I just want my body to go back to a natural way of healing and I will do what ever it takes to do that. I have had a problem in the past with my pain management doctors because they kept rotating to other hospitals but I got the head of the clinic and hope he can focus on something positive to help with my DJD. It takes a lot of guts and a STRONG mental attitude to go through this but after seeing what the drugs did to my pancreas, I refuse to go through more than my body can handle.  
I have been reading a lot about the fentanyl patch and there doesn't seem to be enough support to truly approach the problems with this medication. The support groups are from people, not doctors who have something to offer except to taper down. This is a horrible experience to go through. I know because I stopped the fentanyl patch 50mcg on June 12,2012 and the doctors in the hospital I was admitted to, put me on morphine 15mg. When I developed pancreatic problems, there didn't seem to be too much help from the doctors. They just told me to follow up with my primary care doctor.
Now please understand. I have Degenerative Joint/Disk disease and my primary doctor put me on fentanyl to help with my pain. I have know my doctor for 25 years and he knows my case history. I give him credit for trying but the side effects of both the morphine and fentanyl really did not do enough for my pain levels.
You really have to be a very determined person to stop this medication. I have been through withdrawal before with another medication but I made it through. Knowing and beleiving I did this once before gave me a focus (by no choice of my own) because the drug therapy was causing problems with my pancreas. Now I had more pain due to the drugs and I could not tolerate this. My family doctor whom I have known for 25 years knows my case history. I have Degenerative joint/disk disease and all he was trying to do was accommodate some of the pain I was having. I appreciate what he tried to do but the side effects were not worth it. I stopped the fentanyl patch 50mcg on June 12, 2012 and the morphine 15 mg on June 25th. My deepest problem  was sleeping. I finally went to my doctor who put me on 2.5 mg of diazepam. I had to take a little extra for the first two days but now am back to 2.5 as needed but I am finally getting some sleep.
I know this drug is very powerful and it takes a very strong person to want to put themselves through this. I know I had no other choice because these drugs were effecting my pancreas. I am not a drinker and most of the problems with my pancreas are from the drugs I have been on. I am taking a enzyme to help with the pancreas problems, vitamins and for pain, I only take Norco 10./325 as needed no more that 2 a day. I do not recommend cold turkey unless you have the severe mind set to do this. I was told by my doctor that he could keep me on morphine and taper me off gradually but I just can't put my body through any more drugs that are not working. I had no choice. My doctor was trying his best to accommodate my pain issues but the side effects outweighed the pain issues. I saw no choice except cold turkey. It is now July 8th 2012 and I got diazepam for sleeping with is the first decent nights sleep I have had in weeks. I only take 2.5 mg as needed.Stay on top or your research and learn what you can do to help your body. Don't take the doctors word for it, they are only trying to accommodate you symptoms but this can be more devastating than taking the drug. I know this is a hard thing to go through but I have been in pain since about 2001 and I have had 5 surgeries to help with the DJD/DDD. My orthopedic surgeon is doing everything he can to help and I am not hoping for another surgery but....
One doctor recommended a pain pump but I hear that is a 50/50 chance. I am not willing to take that chance yet. No more drugs for me until I can get my body to return to 'normal' Then I will consider options but not until I clear all these devastating drugs out of my system. It is the only choice I see so far but please get medical advice, ask other people about how different drugs affect them. Educate yourself on what you can do to help your body recover from what these drugs do to you. I have had steroid shots in the past post op surgery and sometimes that helped. I am looking for more steroid shots again to at least relieve some of the swelling caused by this DDD/DJD. At least that gives me some focus to look forward to and don't give up. It is a long tough road but when you are sicker from what the drugs do to you, someone reliable has to take control, so find a doctor who is willing to listen, get second and third opinions and stay on top of research. The best education you can learn is how to treat yourself in tough times. There may not be any other choice. Best of luck everyone. I know this is a very difficult road but there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is not the type of light you should fear. It is called the body healing and that is the light I look forward to.
All right, it has been since June 12,2012 off the fentanyl and June 25th off the morphine. My doctor gave me diazipam for help but I have had to increase this medication as needed. No more than 5mg at a time but how long does this withdrawal last. Shouldn't I be getting some results? I get some sleep but last night my legs were doing a dance on me I could not control. That was rough but of course I made it through with the help of the diazipam.
When will there be light at the end of the tunnel. I know there has got to be and July 12 will be a month off the fentanyl. Am I doing something wrong?
Im asking the same questions myself. 23 days out ct and I'm still weak, not sleeping but a couple hours, sneezing, chills. I'm taking vitamins, b12 and c plus a multi. I was drinking Gatorade as I read that in some of the posts. Then a close friend recommended pedolite for baby's. ( not sure on spelling of that) I did notice some change in energy and mind set after drinking a couple qts. The nastiest stuff I've ever tasted but I personally have seen a difference from it rather than muscle milk and Gatorade type stuff and not nearly as expensive.

The patches are the Antichrist for sure, I was on 50mg plus 12mg I think, plus oxy and several other meds. I over heated with them on and it really jacked me up. Scared me and I just stopped, flushed all the remaining meds and won't go for the refills. You have got to be strong willed and determined that's for sure. Your ahead of me but just wanted to relate I'm still having symptoms of WD's at 23 days. You do need the Lords strength to help you get through it, I wouldn't have been able to make it this far without him and the people he has put in my life. I don't mean to push religion on you but walks listening to encouraging faith type music has helped me, get the k- love ap if you have a smart phone, they have a live stream and it's free as well.

I have no idea what to expect over the next few weeks but I'm with ya brother. I had received some serious injuries, never used illicit drugs or bought pills off the street. I just decided enough was enough and could see what it over all was doing to my life. The fog it puts you in stinks, not remembering things you did the week before etc. It's very disheartening.

Stay strong, stay focused and keep this thought in mind. Pain is nothing more than fear leaving your body! Look at it that way and stay strong! It's been scary, you hear everything under the sun about what effects it will have on you. No body is walking in the Mad mans shoes because everyone is different, but some of us are on the trail beside you.  I know my mind has messed with me since starting this. Keep yourself busy when you have the strength and lay down if you need to. Thoughts and prayers are headed your way.
I also hate Fentanyl.  I had 9 surgeries and wound up with RSD and nerve damage and additionally had other pain problems.  I wasn't addicted but dependent.  I had been on nearly every narcotic and Neurontin, Cymbalta, Ativan and more.  I didn't like the side effects and also was worried about tolerance, possible addiction and it wasn't controlling my pain.

My pain doctors were not very helpful in coming off the medications.  I found very little support and my family didn't understand either.  If it wasn't for this forum and the Pain Management forum, I don't know where I'd be.

I tapered off the Fentanyl and it wasn't easy with a taper either.  I probably tapered too fast but I felt like the Fentanyl was killing me.  I do have other health issues so I don't want anyone to read this and get discouraged but it was almost a year before I felt somewhat back to myself.

For me, personally, Fentanyl wreaked havoc with my body.  My short-term memory is still terrible.  My tastes in food changed.  I never ate much sugar and I was very conscious of what I hate.  I was in great shape.  The other narcotics I had been on had some unpleasant side effects for me but nothing like the Fentanyl.  I wound up having teeth break, craving all kinds of sugar.  I had never taken sugar in coffee or tea and started using 4-5 huge spoons of sugar.  I felt lazy and disconnected.  I started isolating and I used to be very social.

The pharmacist told me Fentanyl is harder to come off as it can be stored in your fat and possibly bones.  I'm a single mom of 4 and also take care of my 84-year old dad and there were days I couldn't put one foot in front of the other.  My kids were so understanding about me not being able to go to games or events and me always forgetting all kinds of things.

My pain will always be there and I manage it with high doses of ibuprofen, prescription topical gels/creams, lidoderm patches and at times Neurontin.  Some days are bad and I think I can't stand it another minute.  But pain flare-ups eventually subside.  If I can stay at a 5 or under on a 1-10 pain scale, I can manage.  When it starts creeping up to 6, 7 and 8 for days on end, it wears me out. But I would rather deal with the pain than what Fentanyl and other narcotics do to me.

Some people find Fentanyl works well for their chronic pain and if it does for them, that's great.  I personally feel it's in a similar class to methadone and I wouldn't use either of those unless I knew I was never going to come off it again.

Because I was dependent versus addicted, I feel like if my pain gets out of control, I can always go back on something as needed.  I do know that my choice is now to never take anything so my body would become dependent on it again.  So far I've managed without using anything for the pain that's narcotic but I also know that I'm not a martyr and if I need something for pain after a surgery or for a specific reason, I would take something.

I do think everyone needs to do their own research about pain meds.  I was educated and had a lot of experience in the medical field and I asked a ton of questions but I wish I had known about this site before going down the path of pain management.  I was told I'd never have to worry about addiction or even dependence, that they would never let me go into withdrawal.  The first time I wound up in withdrawal, I didn't even know; I just thought I was incredibly sick.

I've found in my own experience, and also knowing some others who've had similar experiences, that doctors don't always know what these drugs can do to people and unfortunately, there isn't the support needed when someone wants to come off these medications.  My best information came from patients who've been through this.  Thank God for those who've dedicated themselves to helping others, both on this forum and the Pain Management forum.

I would encourage anyone dealing with chronic pain to check out the Pain Management forum. It's not as active as this one, but there are some great people there and the support and knowledge from some is excellent.  It can sometimes take a bit longer to get a question answered but if you're patient, you can usually find someone who will have some good input.

To those still dealing with the Fentanyl withdrawals, believe me, it's worth it.
I know it is rough but remember you are on day 23 which is the best positive you can do right now. Keep up the vitamins, and the strive go get off this stuff. WHAT EVER IT TAKES and I know, because I am going through it. Try and find a sleeping medication like Melatonin to help with sleeping and getting your body back into a healing mode. It sounds like you are doing everything you can but stay strong. Remember what this drug has done to your body and keep focused on healing. It will get better but your body is only responding to cleaning itself out of what was put into it for such a long period of time. I take warm baths, and find any way I can to relax and clean my system out of what went into it. This medication really messed up my digestive system. I am still dealing with that but doing much better. I am seeing positive results but of course it takes time. Day 23 is fantastic and you should be proud of what you have accomplished. It is a hard road with no medical support so YOU have to take the bull by the horns and take control of your life instead of trusting doctors who have no idea or care of the side effects of these medications. Yes naturally, they can tell you but each person is different and when you have problems with fentanyl they look for reasons and they say it is the side effects of the medication while you are on it but offer little help with the side effects except more drugs. All those drugs cause your liver and other organs to work overtime and that can create more problems. I think you understand what I mean. You have got to stay strong and focused. I know when it scared the HELL out of me what I was looking like, what I was doing to myself because of pain, and what I was doing to the people who care for me, it was enough to give me the strength to take control of what I needed to do to survive and live.
I hit a depression patch not realizing it was the side effect of what I was going through. I don't want to describe the symptoms because they were horrible to face. I went down to the beach with my wheelchair, put on my favorite music and really got into it for the moment but the moment only lasted as long as the music. I had to work my mind through the rest of the day and try not to get on anyone's' nerves which was rough but I have an understanding caregiver. Eventually I went to sleep, got a reasonable night sleep and woke up feeling much better. I like my coffee strong in the morning and the caffeine was taking its toll on the anxiety level but I had energy to burn. Got to cut down on the strength of how I make my coffee but the energy felt good and the depression subsided.
Keep up the eating. Try and find foods that you like and I know that is not easy. Sometimes the thought of one food will make me ill but the thought of another will make me want to eat it. That is kind of rough but try. I have been taking Ensure 350 calories with each meal for quite some time. I think it helped but I can't afford any more ensure so I am working on increasing my appetite with foods I know I will eat.
You sound really focused on what you are doing and that is the point of strength to do something to help yourself. Keep that focus in mind daily and your mental strength will build up as you see and feel positive results. The vitamins will work for you and and I sure you are seeing some results I will hope. What ever it takes to get you through these rough times is what is needed to survive. Day 24 is coming and just be patient. I did not count any days while I was going through this. I didn't want to know, I didn't see any incentive to counting another day for hope. I just kept doing what needed to be done and then one day I looked at the calender and found it had been over a month off the drugs. That is when it all hit me that I was on the mend.
Do the best you can to keep yourself focused on what you need to do to get off these drugs that have messed up your body so much. Remember, it was the drugs taking control, not you so when you realize that you are thinking clearer and taking control of yourself and your mind, you are now in control of what you can do. You have accomplished A LOT and should be proud but if you are not I am very proud of what you have accomplished. You are getting there. It takes a while for the body to respond to cleaning itself out but I am sure you are seeing positive results in some areas. Take a look at that and then you will see that something is happening and you are now in control mentally and physically. The drugs take that away from your mind and fog the thinking process. Stay strong, and focused and you have my support in any way I can help. The hell with the medical community, we will teach them a thing or two...!
Keep me informed and proud to share with you your strength and desire to keep focused of getting these drugs out of your system so you can once again take control of your life instead of the drugs.
Proudly, The Mad Man
Keep up the focus you are doing. The exercise will help because it creates the endorphins to help heal. Stay on top of all your vitamins and hydration. Do the best you can with eating.
Now I know this is only a short time for you to go through this but it will get better with each day. You may not realize it just yet. It will take a little time for your body to respond but it will respond.
Now the sleeping. Yes, that is hell. Probably the worse. I know it was for me. I took melatonin and any over the counter sleeping medication, teas and the like I could. My doctor gave me diazipam to help but I had to increase the dosage for myself just to get through a nights sleep. That only leads to more addiction. The I found an old medication I used to take for neuropathy. I stopped taking it because I did not think it was doing any good. It is called Neurontin/Gabapentin. The side effects are sleepiness and although I never noticed this in the past, it did seem to help with the restless leg syndrome. It helped me get some sleep and not feel so restless. I also take this with a muscle relaxer and this helped get me through the night. It takes a little time about a few days for the body to wake to get into a normal sleeping cycle but any sleep is better than none so do what you can to get through the sleeping nights and they will get better with days coming. Keep those endorphins confused and they eventually will find a way to get back to 'normal'. With all that you have mentioned, your body seems to be on the mend weather you realize it or not. Be a little patient, and I know that is hard. Keep your self focused on what you are doing and you will notice your mind will be a little clearer with each day and your thinking will respond back to 'normal'. Once you see and recognize that you have the bull by the horns and YOU have control and not the drugs. That means they are leaving your body and have no need to be there and you are in control of yourself once more.
It takes a lot of strength to go through this and I sincerely wish there were more support for people going through this but I can only recommend the people who have gone through this and accomplished this horror. After accomplishing over 30 days now I feel in more control, have more energy to want to do things and thinking clearer. That tells me I am on the mend and I don't care how long it takes to get off this stuff as long as I am seeing positive results, I know I am beating the dragon. That feels great! Keep that in mind and I will keep myself posted on this board to help in any way I can.
Be proud of the accomplishments you have done and move forward with what you will do because that is the only way to build a healthy mind and body to beat the dragon!!!
Proudly, The Mad Man
AMEN....
Keep the proud moments and strong mind up and the cleaning process will take care of itself. Keep yourself focused that you are in control not the drugs and this is what you need to do to keep the demon away. The drugs cloud the mind judgment and the drugs take control and that is when you lose all sight of what is happening to your mind and body. When I looked in the mirror and saw HOW SICK I looked and then found I had lost so much weight and down to 108 pounds, it was enough to scare me and did. I am now on the mend and eating to gain back what the drugs took away from me. It can be done! Do what ever it takes and realize each day is an accomplishment to beat this devil that has taken control. You are in control now the drugs anymore and your mind will know that and respond accordingly each day. You will see the thinking clearer each day you  are off the drugs and when you realize that, you can focus on what you need to do to heal. I will be here for all of you that are going through this. I beat the dragon and will support all of you any way I can. Be proud that you have the control, need, desire and want to do this and this is the proud accomplishment with each day you beat the dragon. Remember you have done good and look at that each day you wake up.
I know the nights are scarey. I have been through them and yes they are fearful and annoying. I would sleep on the couch and find a tv show and once in a while catch a 15 minute snooze and wake up again. Yes they are annoying but it does get better when your body no longer has the drugs to depend on. It takes a while to get back into a sleeping mode, I will be honest. I don't remember how long it took for me to go from 15 minutes to a half hour and then two hours sleep but I did see improvement in my sleeping. I have been through withdrawal before but never with this type of drug (fentanyl). I knew what to expect but it was rough with the frustration of not sleeping, being annoyed to sleep, and the fear of not being able to sleep. Over time, your body responds and when the two hour sleep mode kicks in your body will respond stronger but this is the start to healing. It will and does happen, you just have to be patient (annoying word to understand, I know and I hate to use that word) but the focus of getting your body back to a normal sleeping cycle while your body is cleaning out the drugs takes a little time but does respond! Just do what you can to get through the nights any way you can. I know the annoyance it feels like. When am I going to get some sleep. When is this going to stop. And sooner or later it does. It is just a slow gradual process your body had to respond to. let it take its course because your body is healing and once the medications are clearing from your system your body takes over and tells you it wants more sleep. It will happen.
Keep up the good work and focus and the accomplishments and I am hear for anyone that needs the support to go through this.
Proudly, The Mad Man
Don't pay attention to the time frame. It is scarey to read that information and each person is different. Just keep yourself focused on the point that you want to do this for YOUR health and well being. Remember, this is a drug that takes control on the brain cells and the body and the mind becomes confused and not realizing what this drug does. Taking control of withdrawal is a strong thing to go through but it can be done and only pay attention to getting through each night and day. Don't pay attention to any calender just yet. Just keep yourself focused on what you need to do to help yourself. Vitamins, exercise confuses the endorphins and they eventually respond when they realize that the drugs are not in control any more, hydration, eating what ever you can and the mental power to do this and beat this damned dragon. As time goes by, you will see slight changes, maybe something you may not notice right away but your body is responding gradually and since this drug has had such a strong affect on the mind and body, each day will bring something helpful. Just keep yourself strong and focused on what you need to do to get this out of your system and then you will notice little things, like a longer sleeping period or maybe an appetite for something you really want or just something out of the ordinary that you never noticed before and this is the sign of the body healing. This I call the accomplishment mode and this is when I pat myself on the back because I have a craving to want to eat something, I never had the want for before. Each day is a cleaning process and the body has a very strong defense system when it comes to healing. It will respond gradually but it will respond and over time you will notice that. Keep your mind sharp and focused. You will notice gradual changes and then all of a sudden you will notice, clearer thinking, the need and the want to do something, and the desire to do it. Watch out it is coming. I say this because it has happened to me over 30 days now, I really don't know how many days over 30 I just noticed the calendar and know it is over 30 and I don't want to know how many days because I know my system is still cleaning itself out but I do see clearer thinking, better sleeping and more energy.
I will never go through this drug again and will support anyone who had the need to get off this drug since the medical community voice is silent and we will have to teach the medical community a thing or two about what people like us have learned about this drug!
Thank you very much for the support and caring. I really means a lot when you know you are not alone and someone else is going through this. Yes, it is one hell of a demon to fight but the fight has been worth it for me. I have my life back again, can think clearer, have more energy and eating better and have gained 14 pounds. I am seeing the positive side to this already and that is what I am focusing on. I know the fear that put me here to take back my life and I will never go on this Fentanyl again! I had NO IDEA of how powerful this drug was but I know now and education is the key here. Taking back your life instead of letting the drugs take control. Yes, I have pain issues but I have had them most of my life and have learned to live with them now. There are procedures, surgeries and other things that can be done besides the drugs that only work on dulling the brain cells and does it really help the pain...not for me. I have a good team of doctors who have done work in the past to help me and I look forward to my next appointment although I have to wait a while, I know it will be worth it in the long run.
Thanks for the encouraging thoughts and stay strong, it can be done!
Thank you for your encouraging words. I'm sitting at about 75 days off the poisons, I am thinking a lot better. My body feels like I have ratchet straps around it and someone is constantly cranking on them. I had to start taking some stomach meds, I started passing some blood that would last all day and then stop for a day or 2 then start back up again. So far so good with that. I was also having sharp burning pain in my lower left stomach. Then came a couple of kidney stones. I handled all of that without any pain meds or doctors visits. It was hell but I was determined to Handle it. Basically in tears sitting up in bed with a heating pad. My wife repeatedly asked to take me to the ER and I refused. I figured if I could go through a tenth of what I did detoxing I could handle this. I guess as I explained earlier to my wife that my neck and back has a lot of pain and it takes a lot to just move. It hurts to get started but once I get going, I try to stay busy but the pain is still there. Any suggestions on ways to help with that? I'm wanting to say that my pain is true pain now that I've been off everything for a good 75 days. I haven't had any withdraw symptoms in a long time. I'm still struggling with strength and eating and upset stomach but everything else is gone other that what I'm feeling pain wise.

I did not go through with the other surgery and have not talked to my doctor in 4 months. I've called him to make an appointment to let him know what I've done and possibly seek other types of non narcotic treatment but have had no return calls for whatever reasons. So I'm on my own now with everything. I thought about Physical therapy but not sure on that. I have sustained a lot of injuries over the years to my neck and spine. I guess I'm at a loss and don't know what to do next to deal with my injuries and the pain. I 1000% refuse to take any more of the meds. I flushed every last one of them. I guess advice to anyone else coming off the meds, it's a hard 3 to 4 weeks, some cases longer but it just 3-4 weeks and you can get over it. It's your lifetime that you should be concerned with, not the 3-4 weeks. It's pure hell at times but look at the future and what you want out of life, especially if your young. I'm what you would consider halfway through life, I didn't want to cut my days short by staying on them. My family deserves to have me around longer and not in a fog. When I die, I want to know I'm dying, not medicated and being remembered that way. There has got to be an alternative!!
Im 3 days +  off of 50 mcg fentanyl every 2 days. Wow, I didnt imagine it would be so mentally challenging. I feel like the mental part makes the physical part worsen i.e restlessness, insomnia, body aches. I have completely torn/ruptured L4-L5 discs (had a commercial truck flip on top of me-horrible accident) along with getting my jaw broken and wired shut recently :(. That is how i actually started the patch- not being able to take a pill due to my jaw being wired. I feel like the first few days are easy and then it gets harder and harder. BUT I will not put on this patch! I have four more left but trust me there are so many ways to help alleviate the pain! Stretching, walking, sauna, hot bath- its all listed for a reason. I am requiring a fusion surgery but I still havent gotten it done resulting in pinching and inflammation in my nerves.. I am currently on Norco 10 325 up to 4x a day as needed. Trust me the norcos do SUCH a good job with the tapering process. I quit CT with the patch and have had restless nights but I am feeling SOBER! I am not waking up cloudy or sleeping in 12 plus hours a day. I have my life back along with my memory, judgement and my companion back (fiancee):D Trust me, this process isnt for everyone- as everyone has different reactions to medications. Please do yourself a favor and get some Vicadin/Norco or even a muscle relaxer (ROBAXIN, FLEXERIL, ETC...) It is MUCH easier to get off of norco then it is for the Fentanyl! Norco is a proven drug and when used medicinally will not BE habit forming!! Plus I have detoxed from it before! SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE. I am not saying to go and get norcos, but find the right medication/procedure(epidurals help alot, nerve root injections) that is right for you and the DEMON will be gone! Fentanyl is still a newer drug on the market and it seems like many people are facing this demon, we are not alone! You will get through it, just stay mentally strong and hope for only the best in life! Because only the best will stive
CONGRATULATIONS to ll these supporter who want to beat the demon. Fear is what caused me to detox. When I saw what this drug was doing to me, it SCARED me to death. What ever it takes to get this drug out of your system will help your mind focus on what need to be done to gain control of what this drug does to you life and mind. I have been Fentanyl free since June and will NEVER go back to this drug. Currently I am taking morphine for severe pain issues ever 12 to 14 hours but my pain is severe and I am awaiting a nerve block procedure. This will eliminate a lot of my pain issues so I have stopped the morphine as of today since I am having the procedure in two days. The morphine has given me some weird dreams but I am used to the side effects of morphine and I take a low dosage. It does help with the pain but I am not dependent on it. At least with the morphine, I have control and aware of what it can do, with the fentanyl, your mind has no idea of what this drug is doing to your body. I had many side effects from the fentanyl. I lost so much weight, it scared the hell out of me. Currently I have gained over 20 pounds back and look forward to doing some exercises after the nerve block procedure.
Once again, congratulations to ALL that become aware of the dangers of fentanly and are detoxing from this demon. It takes a lot but it can be done and it put you back in control of your life and better judgment..
Hey Amiga,

Can you tell me how you are and what happened? How many days did it take to feel good again? I'm on the same dose which is no longer working for my full body CRPS. Really scared as the above sounds like that coupled with the pain of my disease, I'm so scared.

Email me anytime ***@****

Thank you for any help.

Blessings,
Jo
I am about to detox myself off fentanyl (i am on 75 mcg)  I am really scared because I tried to do it before and it was horrid.  I have cold turkey detoxed off of 150 mg methadone before as well as oxy.  Methadone was horrible as well, but the fentanyl ones seem worse- symptoms seem more severe.  I am curious to how long it will last.  
Hey just thought i would let u no i waz wearin four 75mg patches of this AWFUL DRUG as i waz addicted to opiids, threw my withdrawl (withdrawal) i suffered 4 fie days and couldnt cope n e longer i went to my gp who contacted the hospital and they send me an ambulance they had to start me on methadone and after 1 day i waz back 2 normal i think u should contact ur gp and see if they can help you, i really feel 4 u its the worst thimg ive ever experinced n my life it got so bad i wanted 2 kill myself, i will pray 4 u and hope a quick recovery is on the cards goodluck Cathy x
I was on 300 mg of morphine for 3 years every day. They just switched me to fetanyl patches 150 mg every 72 hours. I've been going through morphine withdrawals since they cut me straight to the patches. Does anyone know when I will feel better? The fetanyl is helping my pain better but I feel like death. Legs hurt diareah, watering eyes when will it stop? Please help???
How are you doing now?  I been trying to stop fentanyl cold turkey for about 4 days now and I haven't slept any!  That's the worse part for me. Just so scary!
I have been on fentanyl patches 75mcg for 3 years and Norcos 10/325 for 7 years.  I got hit with a stomach virus in December 2012 which started the withrdrawal process for me.  Could not eat or drink anything for 7 days.  By then I was saying things that did not make sense so was admitted 13 times in 3 months.  Only because i lost so much weight from the December incident that the patches became too strong for me.  I found myself vomiting once a week up until Feb 4 2013 i said screw this and took the patches off cold turkey.  The pain was so horrible.  I went to the hospital just to get sleep for 45 minutes and release to feel like crap again.  The worst was over after 7 whole days and 2 weeks after that were also crappy because i had to work.  It took about a month to feel 100% but your brain is still not 100% but you can function normally.  It will take 3-5 months for your short term memory to come back fully.  I hope this helps
I have been reading about this for a couple of weeks now.  I was on 125mcg fentanyl, 30 - 10mg perc, 90 - 2mg klonopin, 90 - 4mg tizanidine, gabapentin, doxepin(all monthly doses), for the last five years. I am on disability, and am staying with family currently.  I stopped taking all my meds on march 12, 2013. I moved from a different state and have not been able to get an appt with pain mgmt until next week.  My GP said he can not write me any scripts to help me(he used to write my script for fent, but I guess he got in trouble. He would not even see me when I came to the office for my appt.) This has been the most horrible thing I have gone through. I tried going to the ER last tuesday, and the ER Doc said right off the bat he was not going to give me anything for the pain, and that the DT's will suck, but will not kill me.  No empathy whatsoever. He did give me 60 -.1 mg clonidine, which has been helping with blood pressure and heart rate.  My heart rate continuously climbs to 120bpm. Blood pressure goes up to about 180/120.  The most I have slept was a couple of nights ago I slept for about 3 hrs straight.  Otherwise 15-20min here and there. Total of about 20hrs in 10days.  I feel like I am losing my mind.  The only thing that keeps me sane is family, but they have no clue what I am going through. I just don't want to lose it in front of them, and don't want to go to a inpatient clinic, because I am not an addict, I am dependent though, and after seeing how the ER doctor reacted to me, I am self conscious about ALL doctors now.  I just hope the new pain mgmt doctor is going to be understanding and empathetic of what I am going through.  I just want to sleep. I Have been trying diphenhidrimine sleeping pills and Nyquil, but no sleep last night. My ears are ringing, grinding my teeth, shoulders are popping, legs are freezing and jerking, eyes feel so tired, but my mind is racing. Was naucious for a few days already, but have my appetite back a little. I have probably lost about 20lbs(about 15% of my body weight) When I do lay down, my heart seems to start racing and all my symptoms are intensified.  I don't know how long I can put up with this.  I just want to make sure there is no chance of any physical health problems when coming off fentanyl like the ER doc said, or was he just full of crap and thought I was drug seeking.  1 1/2 months before I went to him I was sent to the ER by my one of my Dr's when he found out I went w/o my patches for a few days(my blood pressure and pulse were up). A neurologist saw me and immediately diagnosed me as going through opioid withdrawal and wrote me new scripts, and told me to get in pain mgmt.  I started calling and everyone had LONG waiting list, until I found one that could get me in next week.  I asked what I should do if when I run out of my meds, and was told to go to closest ER(she said it didn't matter which one. The one I went to that gave me my scripts was about an hour away. There is a ER that is much closer. That is where I saw the Dr. that said DT's were not dangerous.  They sure FEEL dangerous. I have been taking hot showers, using electric blanket, Have a little Tizanidine left, and Clonidine. I just need to know where the light at the end of the tunnel is. Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I have 5 days til new pain mgmt dr.  I am going to make it, I have no choice.  I just may not be able to see, speak, walk, or drive when it comes time for the appt.  Any advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry for rambling, my mind feels scattered
I'm 5 nights 4 days off my fentanyle 25 patch. Hot nd cold every 2 minutes, off food and just feel like my whole body is a shake inside like my head is gon explode ,Still taken 7.5 Zopicolne Still not slept , just had to take a 5 mg diazpm to see if I can get some sleep. Deffo cd nd struggling so hard to just not put a bstd patch on, But I've gone through the 5 nights I dunno how but its getting harder each night. Crying booboo now feeling sorry for myself. Pleaseeee hr,p me through and advise me anyone
while i know this is an old post and i am certain you have gotten past the withdrawal i also can attest to the anguish of withdrawal from this horrific drug! i am presently taking morphine sulfate backwards step but the insurance issues i had endured the past year were withdrawals every other month and the dr i had been seeing for 8 years when i missed the last apt in June due to 3 deaths in our family within the first 8 days of the month my sister having surgery and my son recovering from an accident (still hasn't gotten well as yet) i completely overlooked my apt. god forgive someone being human and what happened to "do no harm" they put me on this medication and then go again the pain management associations consideration of not stopping this medication abruptly. I am sorry to say i never want to go back on that medication ever again I find the morphine sulphate is somewhat upsetting to my stomach but i was told i have to manage my pain until the end as there is nothing more they can do to help my spine other than manage the pain, I am fine with that and I am at a fairly LOW dose of morphine i hate the pain but i would much sooner deal with constant pain than ever go through the withdrawal of fentynal.. I sympathize with you and anyone else who had to endure this fate.. God speed you on your journey and may you never have to go through that again
i  am sorry to hear your plight if ever you have to endure it again ask if they can put you on morphine or methadone to help get through the withdrawals i am sure there is a way to take the edge off ..when i went through withdrawal. i was in so much discomfort and no one would help.. i am presently on a very low dose of morphine and I dont want to increase it .. after all dependency is dependency.. yet i know the feeling  my bowls were messed up severely and only resolved going back on some form of opiate morphine  is better than fentynal as it does not give the withdrawal and it does help the pain, maybe not as much but i know the dose i am on isnt equal to what i would be on  for fentynal. not even close i gather but i dont want to get that far into the dependency for fear of a withdrawal effect again.  just putting this out there if anyone needs an answer ask if they can give you a low dose of morphine to help get you past the fentynal or methadone if nothing else.only stupid question is the unasked question.. best to you all
again  sorry to hear your plight as well i am sure you are past the problem.. my suggestion to everyone who reads this  who is dealing with the withdrawal is ask the one thing i didnt think clearly about is they use methadone to withdraw drug addicts from other street drugs why not a legal drug? I had to go through the pain.. the jello-ey legs pins and needles, cramping and the stomach evacuating,  gassing,,  cramping and the head splitting and migraines good thing is at least i didnt vomit although if i had maybe my stomach may have felt better sooner.. the only time my bowels returned to normal was after a week on morphine which was almost 2 months completely off the duragesic. the withdrawals will stop eventually but some of them may not.. i am glad to be on even a very low dose as most every system of my body was regulated by being on the fentynal dont ask me why  i was on it for 8 years ..but i need just a low dose to keep my body at normal function addicted  yeah i guess so.. dependent definitely..hope this helps someone.. good luck
I am on day 1. I am terminally I'll with less than 7 months. Still fighting for my next miracle. I have gone cold turkey eight times, on purpose, throughout the last two years, just to keep my tolerance from building. Four, were just hydrocodone 25/325, one was oxycontin and liquid morphine, and three others were hydro and cent patches. I have chosen to live in pain for months at a time, to achieve this and to be present for my husband and four sons. I have had several painful surgeries and I treat, quit and withdrawal. Your body is trying it's damnedest to get that comfort, but you are doing great! I'm been through each level of this hell. Hydration, antioxidants, and sweating is the absolute best way to get it out. Protein and nutrition replacement is huge. Adding you to my prayer list. Thank you for much needed reminder that I am not alone.
I was on Fentanyl 50mcg for a year after I broke my back and then surgery. I am detoxing now and I'm on my tenth day. The first week was HELL thought i would rather die then go through this any longer. I took 2 Benadryl 25mg 3 times a day witch helped come me down. Take as many HOT showers as often as you can stand it! I drank about 1 gallon of water a day witch is a ***** because you wont be thirsty. Around the 8th day I began feeling alot better. I'm still anxious and a little edgy but much better. I ate 2 potatoes a day and 4 bananas. Eat one potato before bed for the magnesium that helped me sleep 2-3hrs at a time the first 5 days. THIS WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE! i WILL NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR PAIN OTHER THAN ADVIL! Hang in there.
God bless you!
I was on Fentanyl 75 and  50 I am on Fentanyl 25 now.. In January (following) year 2014 I will ask my Doc. for Fentanyl 12, couse this is the lowest number of this patch. What else I should do to get reed of this patch because I wish to be clean. It is recommended by a doctors that cutting down Fentanyl in numbers of mcg is the wright way to do so. Is the CT unavoidable.
I dont need to explain to you of how hard time I 've had  because I am 100 % sure that you now all of the rest of the story. In the past I tried many times to do it my self (Could T) but was unable to do so simply I had no experience . Following those comments of those brave ones  I think I can do it too. You did a good job. Good luck  
Dear AmigaMaria, all I want add here is that you are one very brave person.
Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience. I am also having problems with Fentanyl for 4 1/2 years now  that I would like to get reed off it. I was on 75 then 50 and now I am on 25. My idea is to take 12 and go from there. I tried many times myself CT, but I was too weak to finish it up , but it was very hard for me to go CT when I was on 50. Good bless you . I will follow your steps to clean my system. Good luck and enjoy your life.  
before Im through id like to say my prayers........(Jethro Tull)

Fentanyl is HORRIBLE. I hate my dr for ever putting me on this knowing what he knew. chronic back pain, started me with percosette back in  2006. Worked right up the chain to oxycontin 30mg then to the fentanyl patch. Two years of this i was on 50mcg and I am DETERMINED to get my life back!
Depression? huh! The psyches want to medicate that and have been unsuccessful. Anxiety? Same thing. How about no sex drive, no appetite, I dont feel good about myself as a man, a husband , father and grandfather! I HATE THIS STUFF! I went down to 25mcg on my own. Wasnt too bad. But when I tried to go to 12 mcg, the S%*T hit the fan, I thought i was being exorcised of a demon! Thashing around! so sick I couldnt take it and put the 25mcg patch back on. Went for help. my dr......what a joke. Told me I should just plan on being on fentanyl my entire life! WHAT???!!! SCREW YOU DOC!   went to a pain management clinic looking for help. They tried to substitue vicodin for the fentanyl in hopes of weaning off that after. gave me meds to combat the withdrawal symptoms. the diahrea , the spasm, NONE of it worked and at 36 hours of vicodin my body demanded the fentanyl back and man did it let me know!  On my knees, praying to god to help me out of this hell..........
so today i went to a suboxone dr. 2.5 hr visit....he prescribed the suboxone for me to substitue the fentanyl once I get to deep withdrawals...not before or it will give you withdrawals! Confusing? yeah... Ive had the patch off for 27 hours now......not looking forward to the witching hour of 36. I wish anyone who has the guts and stamina to get off this EVIL medicine the absolute best and my prayers, for what they are worth, are with you. god help us all.
PharmaVictim
I dont want to deter you but will tell you going from 25 to 12 is the hardest step. All the drs. Ive been to agree that the lowest dose is the harder ones to kick. I just filled a script for suboxane. I will try this because going to 12 mcg an hr was a total failure for ME, it was like going cold turkey.
best of luck you you and godspeed getting your life back. The pharmas sure had a winner with this one.  
Well folks, the doc wanted me to wait until today to start the suboxone, he said if I am not in withdrawals when I start it that it will put me into withdrawals. I was already off my patch for 24 hours when I saw him yesterday, they told me to take it off the day before my appt. Theres something about the suboxone and how it takes over the opiate receptors and kicks out the fentanyl ( or other opiates ) . Anyway the withdrawals hit me harder last night at about hour 33 since I took off the fentanyl patch and I took the first suboxone. The ones prescribed for me are a film that you put under your tongue and you cant swallow for 15 minutes while it absorbs into your system.  But wow, the withdrawals went away so fast !  Only problem I had was I couldn't sleep, was in a half awake state most of the night but I would take that over the muscle spasms, chills and runs I was experiencing from the fentanyl withdrawal.
My goal is two weeks , To stabilize off the fentanyl then begin to wean off the suboxone slowly. I'll update as things progress but wanted to share this info for anyone considering suboxone as a detox option from fentanyl.
Dear AmigaMaria, You should try a 4 day soboxyn detox.  It got me off herion.  I started of course with perccet then moved onto heroin.  For five years i stayed a slave to heroin until soboxyn came along.  I did not go on the maintenance as they wanted me to.  I just did a four day detox and believe me I could not believe that the only withdrawal was being a little cold and body aches and they only lasted for three days.  I slept, no ebby jeebies (as I call the restless leg syndrome) no diarrhea and no vomiting.  
please take it from me a surviving pill addict with 5 diseases. You have to go cold turkey, cuz the disgusting and horrible feelings you get from the medicine and then have to replace that from another drug... just look into an herb, and try to be strong minded. I am a nurse, so I have seen many situations, and cold turkey is the worst, but it is the only way to go if you never want to take another drug again, it will stick in your mind forever, and you will want to vomit when you think about putting **** in your body, it has been 2 years and sometimes I vomit now taking just over the counter meds, because of the withdrawals I went through, be strong headed and you will feel like a human being again once your off of everything.
I can't thank all of you enough for your help!  I've been on the 12mcg patch down from 25 for about a week now and have been going through all of the things mentioned in this thread.

I honestly was thinking that this was all in my head!  Waking up flipping and flopping all around the bed because I can't get comfortable.  Like an idiot I wanted to quit all of the drugs that I'm taking and so I let my Ambien and Prozac prescriptions lapse (I had to see the doc to continue) so I'm out of all of those and have been for a week or so.

Dealing with suicidal thoughts and wicked withdrawals I seriously wouldn't recommend this on my worst enemy.  I'm going to take the advice here and weed off of it slowly, it was really dumb to try to quit taking 2 medications (Prozac and Ambien) while simultaneously stepping down from 25mcg to 12mch Fentanyl patches.

I have some Percocets and Zanaflex and left over Robaxin that have been a big help but in the Name of Christ Jesus I will break this thing!  I'm going back to the doc on Monday to see if I can get my Prozac and Ambien renewed.  

Thanks to each of you for your stories, they have been an inspiration to me and I know now that I'm not alone!
I just finished reading your post and my experience is very similar to yours. I was looking for answers as to whether I should just hang tight (I am on day 7 with no Fentanyl after 8 years and weaning from 100) or if my pain just required I deal with the fatigue, lack of motivation & isolation that come with Fentanyl. I was considering going to pick up patches at the pharmacy and have now changed my mind, I have come this far and once the withdrawal aches are gone I am convinced I will manage my pain with other methods. Thanks so much for the motivation, let's hope that my pain can stay at a 5 or less:)
I can't believe all this sneezing is from withdrawal - here I was looking for what I was allergic to!
Amiga, as bad as it is, just think, there are some poor idiots out here (like me) that haven't even started getting off yet. I want to soooo bad but reading things like this just make me delay even longer. plus my wife HATES meds and cannot stand me doing wds. even when I am out of the patches, she hates it! but I can sure understand that! good luck, I am looking to you for help so plz don't let me (or you) down ! may God bless you.
I too am going from 175 and dr. Keeps reducing each mt.im down to 100 the next dose will be first time just doing 100 I feel bad with all the symptoms can you tell me what to expect with further decreasing.thanks for any help u can give.the restless legs and agitation is back any ideas for them
This is a very old thread.  If you want to get some support for yourself please click on post a question and start your own thread so that we can help you through this okay?
Lu
Reading your post has given me more determination and hope that I can do this. I have been on Fentanyl 25mcg for over a year. Three months ago i went to my Dr and told him to reduce me. I went done to 12.5 mcg. It was only supposed to be for two months ...." he said." I want off this crap. I expect RL, sleepless nights, etc, but I'm so ready!
Sir......I'm curious as to how you are doing on your withdrawal from the Fentanyl? I too am starting to get off of this wicked stuff!
reading all of these reports is scarry stuff, I fractured 4 vert in my upper spine in early March this year and hospitalised for the pain, put on Targin made no difference to the level of pain and Drs had gradually increased to 50mgs of Fentanyl, starting reading these posts and realised what a terrible situation I was commiting myself to. On 13th June decided to go CT'did not tell my GP for about 10 days he thought I should resume but I was determined to continue with the CT. I ended up feeling so nauseated, legs would not keep still, could not and still can't get a good sleep taking Temaze every night, latest  problem is my scalp,head,nape are covered in itch and its driving me mad, looking on net for solution Hope you are feeling better as each day passes, The Lord will continue to help JBS Downunder
I was reading all the posts,,,i have scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia, sciatia, and the list goes on and on,,,pain  and surgery on my disc,,,L4-5.....I have been on fentanyl patches for about 8 years, I was on 75mcg, then I requested to go down to 50mcg, stayed on that for months because I let FEAR rule me,,,,,then I decided to reduce to 25mcg, because I wanted my life back, and did not want FEAR to rule my life anymore, I was on 24mcg for 2 months, then went off last week cold turkey ,,,,,had a lot of pain , restless leg syndrome, etc,,,,now I am into day 5 and am sleeping but have a lot of diarreah (diarrhea), no appetite, but did not have one before either,,,,i am going to never put on another fentanyl patch or take any other drug that has terrible withdrawal symptoms,,,,i take extra strength advil ,,,2 every 4 hours and doxepin to help me sleep at night, what little sleep I am getting helps,,,,going today to get vitamins and something with electrolytes in it,,,,hot water helps as well,,,,,i hope you are ready,,,you will know when you have had enough!,,,just do it,,,,for you,,,,don't let fear run your life or a drug ever again,,,take your life back, you only live once,,,,god bless
Hi There and Welcome to the Forum-

It sounds like you've been on quite the journey and we'd all love to support you!
Please start your own thread by going to the right upper side of your screen and clicking on Ask A Question.  This is an old thread you are commenting on and not likely that you'll get the same support.

Bless,
Lu