Fentanyl Withdrawals - how long do they last Cold Turkey?
I've been on a Fentanyl patch for the past 9 years. I went from 175mcg/hr down to 12.5 mcgs then 5 days ago I stopped cold turkey.  I don't take any other drugs except for my blood pressure meds.
The withdrawals have been BRUTAL!   I mean the most horrific thing I have even gone through.  When will this stop?  At night the minute I start to fall asleep it's like a demon takes over my body and I jerk and jump, twist and shout all night long - I get up and down out of bed, I exercise and even lift weights to try and stop the demon - but nothing works.  I haven't slept for more than 20 minutes at one time any night since stopping.  I'm scared!  I will choose not to live if I have to go back on Fentanyl but I can't take much more of these withdrawals.  
When can I expect the withdrawals to end and how long does it take to get back to my normal self with no effects whatsoever of the Fentanyl?  I seriously need help!  
Thank you
I know it is rough but remember you are on day 23 which is the best positive you can do right now. Keep up the vitamins, and the strive go get off this stuff. WHAT EVER IT TAKES and I know, because I am going through it. Try and find a sleeping medication like Melatonin to help with sleeping and getting your body back into a healing mode. It sounds like you are doing everything you can but stay strong. Remember what this drug has done to your body and keep focused on healing. It will get better but your body is only responding to cleaning itself out of what was put into it for such a long period of time. I take warm baths, and find any way I can to relax and clean my system out of what went into it. This medication really messed up my digestive system. I am still dealing with that but doing much better. I am seeing positive results but of course it takes time. Day 23 is fantastic and you should be proud of what you have accomplished. It is a hard road with no medical support so YOU have to take the bull by the horns and take control of your life instead of trusting doctors who have no idea or care of the side effects of these medications. Yes naturally, they can tell you but each person is different and when you have problems with fentanyl they look for reasons and they say it is the side effects of the medication while you are on it but offer little help with the side effects except more drugs. All those drugs cause your liver and other organs to work overtime and that can create more problems. I think you understand what I mean. You have got to stay strong and focused. I know when it scared the HELL out of me what I was looking like, what I was doing to myself because of pain, and what I was doing to the people who care for me, it was enough to give me the strength to take control of what I needed to do to survive and live.
I hit a depression patch not realizing it was the side effect of what I was going through. I don't want to describe the symptoms because they were horrible to face. I went down to the beach with my wheelchair, put on my favorite music and really got into it for the moment but the moment only lasted as long as the music. I had to work my mind through the rest of the day and try not to get on anyone's' nerves which was rough but I have an understanding caregiver. Eventually I went to sleep, got a reasonable night sleep and woke up feeling much better. I like my coffee strong in the morning and the caffeine was taking its toll on the anxiety level but I had energy to burn. Got to cut down on the strength of how I make my coffee but the energy felt good and the depression subsided.
Keep up the eating. Try and find foods that you like and I know that is not easy. Sometimes the thought of one food will make me ill but the thought of another will make me want to eat it. That is kind of rough but try. I have been taking Ensure 350 calories with each meal for quite some time. I think it helped but I can't afford any more ensure so I am working on increasing my appetite with foods I know I will eat.
You sound really focused on what you are doing and that is the point of strength to do something to help yourself. Keep that focus in mind daily and your mental strength will build up as you see and feel positive results. The vitamins will work for you and and I sure you are seeing some results I will hope. What ever it takes to get you through these rough times is what is needed to survive. Day 24 is coming and just be patient. I did not count any days while I was going through this. I didn't want to know, I didn't see any incentive to counting another day for hope. I just kept doing what needed to be done and then one day I looked at the calender and found it had been over a month off the drugs. That is when it all hit me that I was on the mend.
Do the best you can to keep yourself focused on what you need to do to get off these drugs that have messed up your body so much. Remember, it was the drugs taking control, not you so when you realize that you are thinking clearer and taking control of yourself and your mind, you are now in control of what you can do. You have accomplished A LOT and should be proud but if you are not I am very proud of what you have accomplished. You are getting there. It takes a while for the body to respond to cleaning itself out but I am sure you are seeing positive results in some areas. Take a look at that and then you will see that something is happening and you are now in control mentally and physically. The drugs take that away from your mind and fog the thinking process. Stay strong, and focused and you have my support in any way I can help. The hell with the medical community, we will teach them a thing or two...!
Keep me informed and proud to share with you your strength and desire to keep focused of getting these drugs out of your system so you can once again take control of your life instead of the drugs.
Proudly, The Mad Man
Keep up the focus you are doing. The exercise will help because it creates the endorphins to help heal. Stay on top of all your vitamins and hydration. Do the best you can with eating.
Now I know this is only a short time for you to go through this but it will get better with each day. You may not realize it just yet. It will take a little time for your body to respond but it will respond.
Now the sleeping. Yes, that is hell. Probably the worse. I know it was for me. I took melatonin and any over the counter sleeping medication, teas and the like I could. My doctor gave me diazipam to help but I had to increase the dosage for myself just to get through a nights sleep. That only leads to more addiction. The I found an old medication I used to take for neuropathy. I stopped taking it because I did not think it was doing any good. It is called Neurontin/Gabapentin. The side effects are sleepiness and although I never noticed this in the past, it did seem to help with the restless leg syndrome. It helped me get some sleep and not feel so restless. I also take this with a muscle relaxer and this helped get me through the night. It takes a little time about a few days for the body to wake to get into a normal sleeping cycle but any sleep is better than none so do what you can to get through the sleeping nights and they will get better with days coming. Keep those endorphins confused and they eventually will find a way to get back to 'normal'. With all that you have mentioned, your body seems to be on the mend weather you realize it or not. Be a little patient, and I know that is hard. Keep your self focused on what you are doing and you will notice your mind will be a little clearer with each day and your thinking will respond back to 'normal'. Once you see and recognize that you have the bull by the horns and YOU have control and not the drugs. That means they are leaving your body and have no need to be there and you are in control of yourself once more.
It takes a lot of strength to go through this and I sincerely wish there were more support for people going through this but I can only recommend the people who have gone through this and accomplished this horror. After accomplishing over 30 days now I feel in more control, have more energy to want to do things and thinking clearer. That tells me I am on the mend and I don't care how long it takes to get off this stuff as long as I am seeing positive results, I know I am beating the dragon. That feels great! Keep that in mind and I will keep myself posted on this board to help in any way I can.
Be proud of the accomplishments you have done and move forward with what you will do because that is the only way to build a healthy mind and body to beat the dragon!!!
Proudly, The Mad Man
AMEN....
Keep the proud moments and strong mind up and the cleaning process will take care of itself. Keep yourself focused that you are in control not the drugs and this is what you need to do to keep the demon away. The drugs cloud the mind judgment and the drugs take control and that is when you lose all sight of what is happening to your mind and body. When I looked in the mirror and saw HOW SICK I looked and then found I had lost so much weight and down to 108 pounds, it was enough to scare me and did. I am now on the mend and eating to gain back what the drugs took away from me. It can be done! Do what ever it takes and realize each day is an accomplishment to beat this devil that has taken control. You are in control now the drugs anymore and your mind will know that and respond accordingly each day. You will see the thinking clearer each day you  are off the drugs and when you realize that, you can focus on what you need to do to heal. I will be here for all of you that are going through this. I beat the dragon and will support all of you any way I can. Be proud that you have the control, need, desire and want to do this and this is the proud accomplishment with each day you beat the dragon. Remember you have done good and look at that each day you wake up.
I know the nights are scarey. I have been through them and yes they are fearful and annoying. I would sleep on the couch and find a tv show and once in a while catch a 15 minute snooze and wake up again. Yes they are annoying but it does get better when your body no longer has the drugs to depend on. It takes a while to get back into a sleeping mode, I will be honest. I don't remember how long it took for me to go from 15 minutes to a half hour and then two hours sleep but I did see improvement in my sleeping. I have been through withdrawal before but never with this type of drug (fentanyl). I knew what to expect but it was rough with the frustration of not sleeping, being annoyed to sleep, and the fear of not being able to sleep. Over time, your body responds and when the two hour sleep mode kicks in your body will respond stronger but this is the start to healing. It will and does happen, you just have to be patient (annoying word to understand, I know and I hate to use that word) but the focus of getting your body back to a normal sleeping cycle while your body is cleaning out the drugs takes a little time but does respond! Just do what you can to get through the nights any way you can. I know the annoyance it feels like. When am I going to get some sleep. When is this going to stop. And sooner or later it does. It is just a slow gradual process your body had to respond to. let it take its course because your body is healing and once the medications are clearing from your system your body takes over and tells you it wants more sleep. It will happen.
Keep up the good work and focus and the accomplishments and I am hear for anyone that needs the support to go through this.
Proudly, The Mad Man
Don't pay attention to the time frame. It is scarey to read that information and each person is different. Just keep yourself focused on the point that you want to do this for YOUR health and well being. Remember, this is a drug that takes control on the brain cells and the body and the mind becomes confused and not realizing what this drug does. Taking control of withdrawal is a strong thing to go through but it can be done and only pay attention to getting through each night and day. Don't pay attention to any calender just yet. Just keep yourself focused on what you need to do to help yourself. Vitamins, exercise confuses the endorphins and they eventually respond when they realize that the drugs are not in control any more, hydration, eating what ever you can and the mental power to do this and beat this damned dragon. As time goes by, you will see slight changes, maybe something you may not notice right away but your body is responding gradually and since this drug has had such a strong affect on the mind and body, each day will bring something helpful. Just keep yourself strong and focused on what you need to do to get this out of your system and then you will notice little things, like a longer sleeping period or maybe an appetite for something you really want or just something out of the ordinary that you never noticed before and this is the sign of the body healing. This I call the accomplishment mode and this is when I pat myself on the back because I have a craving to want to eat something, I never had the want for before. Each day is a cleaning process and the body has a very strong defense system when it comes to healing. It will respond gradually but it will respond and over time you will notice that. Keep your mind sharp and focused. You will notice gradual changes and then all of a sudden you will notice, clearer thinking, the need and the want to do something, and the desire to do it. Watch out it is coming. I say this because it has happened to me over 30 days now, I really don't know how many days over 30 I just noticed the calendar and know it is over 30 and I don't want to know how many days because I know my system is still cleaning itself out but I do see clearer thinking, better sleeping and more energy.
I will never go through this drug again and will support anyone who had the need to get off this drug since the medical community voice is silent and we will have to teach the medical community a thing or two about what people like us have learned about this drug!
Thank you very much for the support and caring. I really means a lot when you know you are not alone and someone else is going through this. Yes, it is one hell of a demon to fight but the fight has been worth it for me. I have my life back again, can think clearer, have more energy and eating better and have gained 14 pounds. I am seeing the positive side to this already and that is what I am focusing on. I know the fear that put me here to take back my life and I will never go on this Fentanyl again! I had NO IDEA of how powerful this drug was but I know now and education is the key here. Taking back your life instead of letting the drugs take control. Yes, I have pain issues but I have had them most of my life and have learned to live with them now. There are procedures, surgeries and other things that can be done besides the drugs that only work on dulling the brain cells and does it really help the pain...not for me. I have a good team of doctors who have done work in the past to help me and I look forward to my next appointment although I have to wait a while, I know it will be worth it in the long run.
Thanks for the encouraging thoughts and stay strong, it can be done!
Thank you for your encouraging words. I'm sitting at about 75 days off the poisons, I am thinking a lot better. My body feels like I have ratchet straps around it and someone is constantly cranking on them. I had to start taking some stomach meds, I started passing some blood that would last all day and then stop for a day or 2 then start back up again. So far so good with that. I was also having sharp burning pain in my lower left stomach. Then came a couple of kidney stones. I handled all of that without any pain meds or doctors visits. It was hell but I was determined to Handle it. Basically in tears sitting up in bed with a heating pad. My wife repeatedly asked to take me to the ER and I refused. I figured if I could go through a tenth of what I did detoxing I could handle this. I guess as I explained earlier to my wife that my neck and back has a lot of pain and it takes a lot to just move. It hurts to get started but once I get going, I try to stay busy but the pain is still there. Any suggestions on ways to help with that? I'm wanting to say that my pain is true pain now that I've been off everything for a good 75 days. I haven't had any withdraw symptoms in a long time. I'm still struggling with strength and eating and upset stomach but everything else is gone other that what I'm feeling pain wise.

I did not go through with the other surgery and have not talked to my doctor in 4 months. I've called him to make an appointment to let him know what I've done and possibly seek other types of non narcotic treatment but have had no return calls for whatever reasons. So I'm on my own now with everything. I thought about Physical therapy but not sure on that. I have sustained a lot of injuries over the years to my neck and spine. I guess I'm at a loss and don't know what to do next to deal with my injuries and the pain. I 1000% refuse to take any more of the meds. I flushed every last one of them. I guess advice to anyone else coming off the meds, it's a hard 3 to 4 weeks, some cases longer but it just 3-4 weeks and you can get over it. It's your lifetime that you should be concerned with, not the 3-4 weeks. It's pure hell at times but look at the future and what you want out of life, especially if your young. I'm what you would consider halfway through life, I didn't want to cut my days short by staying on them. My family deserves to have me around longer and not in a fog. When I die, I want to know I'm dying, not medicated and being remembered that way. There has got to be an alternative!!
Im 3 days +  off of 50 mcg fentanyl every 2 days. Wow, I didnt imagine it would be so mentally challenging. I feel like the mental part makes the physical part worsen i.e restlessness, insomnia, body aches. I have completely torn/ruptured L4-L5 discs (had a commercial truck flip on top of me-horrible accident) along with getting my jaw broken and wired shut recently :(. That is how i actually started the patch- not being able to take a pill due to my jaw being wired. I feel like the first few days are easy and then it gets harder and harder. BUT I will not put on this patch! I have four more left but trust me there are so many ways to help alleviate the pain! Stretching, walking, sauna, hot bath- its all listed for a reason. I am requiring a fusion surgery but I still havent gotten it done resulting in pinching and inflammation in my nerves.. I am currently on Norco 10 325 up to 4x a day as needed. Trust me the norcos do SUCH a good job with the tapering process. I quit CT with the patch and have had restless nights but I am feeling SOBER! I am not waking up cloudy or sleeping in 12 plus hours a day. I have my life back along with my memory, judgement and my companion back (fiancee):D Trust me, this process isnt for everyone- as everyone has different reactions to medications. Please do yourself a favor and get some Vicadin/Norco or even a muscle relaxer (ROBAXIN, FLEXERIL, ETC...) It is MUCH easier to get off of norco then it is for the Fentanyl! Norco is a proven drug and when used medicinally will not BE habit forming!! Plus I have detoxed from it before! SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE. I am not saying to go and get norcos, but find the right medication/procedure(epidurals help alot, nerve root injections) that is right for you and the DEMON will be gone! Fentanyl is still a newer drug on the market and it seems like many people are facing this demon, we are not alone! You will get through it, just stay mentally strong and hope for only the best in life! Because only the best will stive
CONGRATULATIONS to ll these supporter who want to beat the demon. Fear is what caused me to detox. When I saw what this drug was doing to me, it SCARED me to death. What ever it takes to get this drug out of your system will help your mind focus on what need to be done to gain control of what this drug does to you life and mind. I have been Fentanyl free since June and will NEVER go back to this drug. Currently I am taking morphine for severe pain issues ever 12 to 14 hours but my pain is severe and I am awaiting a nerve block procedure. This will eliminate a lot of my pain issues so I have stopped the morphine as of today since I am having the procedure in two days. The morphine has given me some weird dreams but I am used to the side effects of morphine and I take a low dosage. It does help with the pain but I am not dependent on it. At least with the morphine, I have control and aware of what it can do, with the fentanyl, your mind has no idea of what this drug is doing to your body. I had many side effects from the fentanyl. I lost so much weight, it scared the hell out of me. Currently I have gained over 20 pounds back and look forward to doing some exercises after the nerve block procedure.
Once again, congratulations to ALL that become aware of the dangers of fentanly and are detoxing from this demon. It takes a lot but it can be done and it put you back in control of your life and better judgment..
Hey Amiga,

Can you tell me how you are and what happened? How many days did it take to feel good again? I'm on the same dose which is no longer working for my full body CRPS. Really scared as the above sounds like that coupled with the pain of my disease, I'm so scared.

Email me anytime ***@****

Thank you for any help.

Blessings,
Jo
I am about to detox myself off fentanyl (i am on 75 mcg)  I am really scared because I tried to do it before and it was horrid.  I have cold turkey detoxed off of 150 mg methadone before as well as oxy.  Methadone was horrible as well, but the fentanyl ones seem worse- symptoms seem more severe.  I am curious to how long it will last.  
Hey just thought i would let u no i waz wearin four 75mg patches of this AWFUL DRUG as i waz addicted to opiids, threw my withdrawl i suffered 4 fie days and couldnt cope n e longer i went to my gp who contacted the hospital and they send me an ambulance they had to start me on methadone and after 1 day i waz back 2 normal i think u should contact ur gp and see if they can help you, i really feel 4 u its the worst thimg ive ever experinced n my life it got so bad i wanted 2 kill myself, i will pray 4 u and hope a quick recovery is on the cards goodluck Cathy x
I was on 300 mg of morphine for 3 years every day. They just switched me to fetanyl patches 150 mg every 72 hours. I've been going through morphine withdrawals since they cut me straight to the patches. Does anyone know when I will feel better? The fetanyl is helping my pain better but I feel like death. Legs hurt diareah, watering eyes when will it stop? Please help???
How are you doing now?  I been trying to stop fentanyl cold turkey for about 4 days now and I haven't slept any!  That's the worse part for me. Just so scary!
I have been on fentanyl patches 75mcg for 3 years and Norcos 10/325 for 7 years.  I got hit with a stomach virus in December 2012 which started the withrdrawal process for me.  Could not eat or drink anything for 7 days.  By then I was saying things that did not make sense so was admitted 13 times in 3 months.  Only because i lost so much weight from the December incident that the patches became too strong for me.  I found myself vomiting once a week up until Feb 4 2013 i said screw this and took the patches off cold turkey.  The pain was so horrible.  I went to the hospital just to get sleep for 45 minutes and release to feel like crap again.  The worst was over after 7 whole days and 2 weeks after that were also crappy because i had to work.  It took about a month to feel 100% but your brain is still not 100% but you can function normally.  It will take 3-5 months for your short term memory to come back fully.  I hope this helps
I have been reading about this for a couple of weeks now.  I was on 125mcg fentanyl, 30 - 10mg perc, 90 - 2mg klonopin, 90 - 4mg tizanidine, gabapentin, doxepin(all monthly doses), for the last five years. I am on disability, and am staying with family currently.  I stopped taking all my meds on march 12, 2013. I moved from a different state and have not been able to get an appt with pain mgmt until next week.  My GP said he can not write me any scripts to help me(he used to write my script for fent, but I guess he got in trouble. He would not even see me when I came to the office for my appt.) This has been the most horrible thing I have gone through. I tried going to the ER last tuesday, and the ER Doc said right off the bat he was not going to give me anything for the pain, and that the DT's will suck, but will not kill me.  No empathy whatsoever. He did give me 60 -.1 mg clonidine, which has been helping with blood pressure and heart rate.  My heart rate continuously climbs to 120bpm. Blood pressure goes up to about 180/120.  The most I have slept was a couple of nights ago I slept for about 3 hrs straight.  Otherwise 15-20min here and there. Total of about 20hrs in 10days.  I feel like I am losing my mind.  The only thing that keeps me sane is family, but they have no clue what I am going through. I just don't want to lose it in front of them, and don't want to go to a inpatient clinic, because I am not an addict, I am dependent though, and after seeing how the ER doctor reacted to me, I am self conscious about ALL doctors now.  I just hope the new pain mgmt doctor is going to be understanding and empathetic of what I am going through.  I just want to sleep. I Have been trying diphenhidrimine sleeping pills and Nyquil, but no sleep last night. My ears are ringing, grinding my teeth, shoulders are popping, legs are freezing and jerking, eyes feel so tired, but my mind is racing. Was naucious for a few days already, but have my appetite back a little. I have probably lost about 20lbs(about 15% of my body weight) When I do lay down, my heart seems to start racing and all my symptoms are intensified.  I don't know how long I can put up with this.  I just want to make sure there is no chance of any physical health problems when coming off fentanyl like the ER doc said, or was he just full of crap and thought I was drug seeking.  1 1/2 months before I went to him I was sent to the ER by my one of my Dr's when he found out I went w/o my patches for a few days(my blood pressure and pulse were up). A neurologist saw me and immediately diagnosed me as going through opioid withdrawal and wrote me new scripts, and told me to get in pain mgmt.  I started calling and everyone had LONG waiting list, until I found one that could get me in next week.  I asked what I should do if when I run out of my meds, and was told to go to closest ER(she said it didn't matter which one. The one I went to that gave me my scripts was about an hour away. There is a ER that is much closer. That is where I saw the Dr. that said DT's were not dangerous.  They sure FEEL dangerous. I have been taking hot showers, using electric blanket, Have a little Tizanidine left, and Clonidine. I just need to know where the light at the end of the tunnel is. Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I have 5 days til new pain mgmt dr.  I am going to make it, I have no choice.  I just may not be able to see, speak, walk, or drive when it comes time for the appt.  Any advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry for rambling, my mind feels scattered
I'm 5 nights 4 days off my fentanyle 25 patch. Hot nd cold every 2 minutes, off food and just feel like my whole body is a shake inside like my head is gon explode ,Still taken 7.5 Zopicolne Still not slept , just had to take a 5 mg diazpm to see if I can get some sleep. Deffo cd nd struggling so hard to just not put a bstd patch on, But I've gone through the 5 nights I dunno how but its getting harder each night. Crying booboo now feeling sorry for myself. Pleaseeee hr,p me through and advise me anyone
while i know this is an old post and i am certain you have gotten past the withdrawal i also can attest to the anguish of withdrawal from this horrific drug! i am presently taking morphine sulfate backwards step but the insurance issues i had endured the past year were withdrawals every other month and the dr i had been seeing for 8 years when i missed the last apt in June due to 3 deaths in our family within the first 8 days of the month my sister having surgery and my son recovering from an accident (still hasn't gotten well as yet) i completely overlooked my apt. god forgive someone being human and what happened to "do no harm" they put me on this medication and then go again the pain management associations consideration of not stopping this medication abruptly. I am sorry to say i never want to go back on that medication ever again I find the morphine sulphate is somewhat upsetting to my stomach but i was told i have to manage my pain until the end as there is nothing more they can do to help my spine other than manage the pain, I am fine with that and I am at a fairly LOW dose of morphine i hate the pain but i would much sooner deal with constant pain than ever go through the withdrawal of fentynal.. I sympathize with you and anyone else who had to endure this fate.. God speed you on your journey and may you never have to go through that again
i  am sorry to hear your plight if ever you have to endure it again ask if they can put you on morphine or methadone to help get through the withdrawals i am sure there is a way to take the edge off ..when i went through withdrawal. i was in so much discomfort and no one would help.. i am presently on a very low dose of morphine and I dont want to increase it .. after all dependency is dependency.. yet i know the feeling  my bowls were messed up severely and only resolved going back on some form of opiate morphine  is better than fentynal as it does not give the withdrawal and it does help the pain, maybe not as much but i know the dose i am on isnt equal to what i would be on  for fentynal. not even close i gather but i dont want to get that far into the dependency for fear of a withdrawal effect again.  just putting this out there if anyone needs an answer ask if they can give you a low dose of morphine to help get you past the fentynal or methadone if nothing else.only stupid question is the unasked question.. best to you all
again  sorry to hear your plight as well i am sure you are past the problem.. my suggestion to everyone who reads this  who is dealing with the withdrawal is ask the one thing i didnt think clearly about is they use methadone to withdraw drug addicts from other street drugs why not a legal drug? I had to go through the pain.. the jello-ey legs pins and needles, cramping and the stomach evacuating,  gassing,,  cramping and the head splitting and migraines good thing is at least i didnt vomit although if i had maybe my stomach may have felt better sooner.. the only time my bowels returned to normal was after a week on morphine which was almost 2 months completely off the duragesic. the withdrawals will stop eventually but some of them may not.. i am glad to be on even a very low dose as most every system of my body was regulated by being on the fentynal dont ask me why  i was on it for 8 years ..but i need just a low dose to keep my body at normal function addicted  yeah i guess so.. dependent definitely..hope this helps someone.. good luck
I am on day 1. I am terminally I'll with less than 7 months. Still fighting for my next miracle. I have gone cold turkey eight times, on purpose, throughout the last two years, just to keep my tolerance from building. Four, were just hydrocodone 25/325, one was oxycontin and liquid morphine, and three others were hydro and cent patches. I have chosen to live in pain for months at a time, to achieve this and to be present for my husband and four sons. I have had several painful surgeries and I treat, quit and withdrawal. Your body is trying it's damnedest to get that comfort, but you are doing great! I'm been through each level of this hell. Hydration, antioxidants, and sweating is the absolute best way to get it out. Protein and nutrition replacement is huge. Adding you to my prayer list. Thank you for much needed reminder that I am not alone.
I was on Fentanyl 50mcg for a year after I broke my back and then surgery. I am detoxing now and I'm on my tenth day. The first week was HELL thought i would rather die then go through this any longer. I took 2 Benadryl 25mg 3 times a day witch helped come me down. Take as many HOT showers as often as you can stand it! I drank about 1 gallon of water a day witch is a ***** because you wont be thirsty. Around the 8th day I began feeling alot better. I'm still anxious and a little edgy but much better. I ate 2 potatoes a day and 4 bananas. Eat one potato before bed for the magnesium that helped me sleep 2-3hrs at a time the first 5 days. THIS WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE! i WILL NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR PAIN OTHER THAN ADVIL! Hang in there.
God bless you!
I was on Fentanyl 75 and  50 I am on Fentanyl 25 now.. In January (following) year 2014 I will ask my Doc. for Fentanyl 12, couse this is the lowest number of this patch. What else I should do to get reed of this patch because I wish to be clean. It is recommended by a doctors that cutting down Fentanyl in numbers of mcg is the wright way to do so. Is the CT unavoidable.
I dont need to explain to you of how hard time I 've had  because I am 100 % sure that you now all of the rest of the story. In the past I tried many times to do it my self (Could T) but was unable to do so simply I had no experience . Following those comments of those brave ones  I think I can do it too. You did a good job. Good luck  
Dear AmigaMaria, all I want add here is that you are one very brave person.
Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience. I am also having problems with Fentanyl for 4 1/2 years now  that I would like to get reed off it. I was on 75 then 50 and now I am on 25. My idea is to take 12 and go from there. I tried many times myself CT, but I was too weak to finish it up , but it was very hard for me to go CT when I was on 50. Good bless you . I will follow your steps to clean my system. Good luck and enjoy your life.  
before Im through id like to say my prayers........(Jethro Tull)

Fentanyl is HORRIBLE. I hate my dr for ever putting me on this knowing what he knew. chronic back pain, started me with percosette back in  2006. Worked right up the chain to oxycontin 30mg then to the fentanyl patch. Two years of this i was on 50mcg and I am DETERMINED to get my life back!
Depression? huh! The psyches want to medicate that and have been unsuccessful. Anxiety? Same thing. How about no sex drive, no appetite, I dont feel good about myself as a man, a husband , father and grandfather! I HATE THIS STUFF! I went down to 25mcg on my own. Wasnt too bad. But when I tried to go to 12 mcg, the S%*T hit the fan, I thought i was being exorcised of a demon! Thashing around! so sick I couldnt take it and put the 25mcg patch back on. Went for help. my dr......what a joke. Told me I should just plan on being on fentanyl my entire life! WHAT???!!! SCREW YOU DOC!   went to a pain management clinic looking for help. They tried to substitue vicodin for the fentanyl in hopes of weaning off that after. gave me meds to combat the withdrawal symptoms. the diahrea , the spasm, NONE of it worked and at 36 hours of vicodin my body demanded the fentanyl back and man did it let me know!  On my knees, praying to god to help me out of this hell..........
so today i went to a suboxone dr. 2.5 hr visit....he prescribed the suboxone for me to substitue the fentanyl once I get to deep withdrawals...not before or it will give you withdrawals! Confusing? yeah... Ive had the patch off for 27 hours now......not looking forward to the witching hour of 36. I wish anyone who has the guts and stamina to get off this EVIL medicine the absolute best and my prayers, for what they are worth, are with you. god help us all.
PharmaVictim
I dont want to deter you but will tell you going from 25 to 12 is the hardest step. All the drs. Ive been to agree that the lowest dose is the harder ones to kick. I just filled a script for suboxane. I will try this because going to 12 mcg an hr was a total failure for ME, it was like going cold turkey.
best of luck you you and godspeed getting your life back. The pharmas sure had a winner with this one.  
Well folks, the doc wanted me to wait until today to start the suboxone, he said if I am not in withdrawals when I start it that it will put me into withdrawals. I was already off my patch for 24 hours when I saw him yesterday, they told me to take it off the day before my appt. Theres something about the suboxone and how it takes over the opiate receptors and kicks out the fentanyl ( or other opiates ) . Anyway the withdrawals hit me harder last night at about hour 33 since I took off the fentanyl patch and I took the first suboxone. The ones prescribed for me are a film that you put under your tongue and you cant swallow for 15 minutes while it absorbs into your system.  But wow, the withdrawals went away so fast !  Only problem I had was I couldn't sleep, was in a half awake state most of the night but I would take that over the muscle spasms, chills and runs I was experiencing from the fentanyl withdrawal.
My goal is two weeks , To stabilize off the fentanyl then begin to wean off the suboxone slowly. I'll update as things progress but wanted to share this info for anyone considering suboxone as a detox option from fentanyl.
Dear AmigaMaria, You should try a 4 day soboxyn detox.  It got me off herion.  I started of course with perccet then moved onto heroin.  For five years i stayed a slave to heroin until soboxyn came along.  I did not go on the maintenance as they wanted me to.  I just did a four day detox and believe me I could not believe that the only withdrawal was being a little cold and body aches and they only lasted for three days.  I slept, no ebby jeebies (as I call the restless leg syndrome) no diarrhea and no vomiting.  
please take it from me a surviving pill addict with 5 diseases. You have to go cold turkey, cuz the disgusting and horrible feelings you get from the medicine and then have to replace that from another drug... just look into an herb, and try to be strong minded. I am a nurse, so I have seen many situations, and cold turkey is the worst, but it is the only way to go if you never want to take another drug again, it will stick in your mind forever, and you will want to vomit when you think about putting **** in your body, it has been 2 years and sometimes I vomit now taking just over the counter meds, because of the withdrawals I went through, be strong headed and you will feel like a human being again once your off of everything.
I can't thank all of you enough for your help!  I've been on the 12mcg patch down from 25 for about a week now and have been going through all of the things mentioned in this thread.

I honestly was thinking that this was all in my head!  Waking up flipping and flopping all around the bed because I can't get comfortable.  Like an idiot I wanted to quit all of the drugs that I'm taking and so I let my Ambien and Prozac prescriptions lapse (I had to see the doc to continue) so I'm out of all of those and have been for a week or so.

Dealing with suicidal thoughts and wicked withdrawals I seriously wouldn't recommend this on my worst enemy.  I'm going to take the advice here and weed off of it slowly, it was really dumb to try to quit taking 2 medications (Prozac and Ambien) while simultaneously stepping down from 25mcg to 12mch Fentanyl patches.

I have some Percocets and Zanaflex and left over Robaxin that have been a big help but in the Name of Christ Jesus I will break this thing!  I'm going back to the doc on Monday to see if I can get my Prozac and Ambien renewed.  

Thanks to each of you for your stories, they have been an inspiration to me and I know now that I'm not alone!
I just finished reading your post and my experience is very similar to yours. I was looking for answers as to whether I should just hang tight (I am on day 7 with no Fentanyl after 8 years and weaning from 100) or if my pain just required I deal with the fatigue, lack of motivation & isolation that come with Fentanyl. I was considering going to pick up patches at the pharmacy and have now changed my mind, I have come this far and once the withdrawal aches are gone I am convinced I will manage my pain with other methods. Thanks so much for the motivation, let's hope that my pain can stay at a 5 or less:)
I can't believe all this sneezing is from withdrawal - here I was looking for what I was allergic to!
Amiga, as bad as it is, just think, there are some poor idiots out here (like me) that haven't even started getting off yet. I want to soooo bad but reading things like this just make me delay even longer. plus my wife HATES meds and cannot stand me doing wds. even when I am out of the patches, she hates it! but I can sure understand that! good luck, I am looking to you for help so plz don't let me (or you) down ! may God bless you.
I too am going from 175 and dr. Keeps reducing each mt.im down to 100 the next dose will be first time just doing 100 I feel bad with all the symptoms can you tell me what to expect with further decreasing.thanks for any help u can give.the restless legs and agitation is back any ideas for them
This is a very old thread.  If you want to get some support for yourself please click on post a question and start your own thread so that we can help you through this okay?
Lu
Reading your post has given me more determination and hope that I can do this. I have been on Fentanyl 25mcg for over a year. Three months ago i went to my Dr and told him to reduce me. I went done to 12.5 mcg. It was only supposed to be for two months ...." he said." I want off this crap. I expect RL, sleepless nights, etc, but I'm so ready!
Sir......I'm curious as to how you are doing on your withdrawal from the Fentanyl? I too am starting to get off of this wicked stuff!
reading all of these reports is scarry stuff, I fractured 4 vert in my upper spine in early March this year and hospitalised for the pain, put on Targin made no difference to the level of pain and Drs had gradually increased to 50mgs of Fentanyl, starting reading these posts and realised what a terrible situation I was commiting myself to. On 13th June decided to go CT'did not tell my GP for about 10 days he thought I should resume but I was determined to continue with the CT. I ended up feeling so nauseated, legs would not keep still, could not and still can't get a good sleep taking Temaze every night, latest  problem is my scalp,head,nape are covered in itch and its driving me mad, looking on net for solution Hope you are feeling better as each day passes, The Lord will continue to help JBS Downunder
I was reading all the posts,,,i have scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia, sciatia, and the list goes on and on,,,pain  and surgery on my disc,,,L4-5.....I have been on fentanyl patches for about 8 years, I was on 75mcg, then I requested to go down to 50mcg, stayed on that for months because I let FEAR rule me,,,,,then I decided to reduce to 25mcg, because I wanted my life back, and did not want FEAR to rule my life anymore, I was on 24mcg for 2 months, then went off last week cold turkey ,,,,,had a lot of pain , restless leg syndrome, etc,,,,now I am into day 5 and am sleeping but have a lot of diarreah, no appetite, but did not have one before either,,,,i am going to never put on another fentanyl patch or take any other drug that has terrible withdrawal symptoms,,,,i take extra strength advil ,,,2 every 4 hours and doxepin to help me sleep at night, what little sleep I am getting helps,,,,going today to get vitamins and something with electrolytes in it,,,,hot water helps as well,,,,,i hope you are ready,,,you will know when you have had enough!,,,just do it,,,,for you,,,,don't let fear run your life or a drug ever again,,,take your life back, you only live once,,,,god bless
Hi There and Welcome to the Forum-

It sounds like you've been on quite the journey and we'd all love to support you!
Please start your own thread by going to the right upper side of your screen and clicking on Ask A Question.  This is an old thread you are commenting on and not likely that you'll get the same support.

Bless,
Lu
I have been detoxing my way down forom 37mcg every 2 days. Stretched it over 6 weeks to where as of Thursday was taking 19 mcg Every 3 days I was cutting the patch. Finally decided after seeing my general prac doctor to just go cold turkey never mnd the 12mcg. I'm on say 2 and can't believe the intensity of restless legs. It's driving me nuts. I was hoping for a 3 Day detox and then back to work after Labor Day. I don't see that happening after reading all these posts. I can't stand this. But I do not want the patch on anymore.
I replied
Well it's day 7 off fentanyl now still week couldn't sleep ether for about 6 days the I got some valiums and some resterrals I sleep about 10 hours felling better but still **** I was doing 5 100 ml patches a day and some of my dreams were like I was battling for my soul but I figure the worst is done to who ever trying to quit do it it and worth it and I wish u the best but let me worn u it ain't easy it's gonna take everything u got but i hope u can do it believe me when I say its a fight for your soul
I'm on 50mcg of fentanyl and was on vicodin 15mg until last Friday.  I quit the vicodin CT and thought I could get off the fentanyl too.  But after day 2 of no fentanyl I couldn't sleep and had RLS so I put the fentanyl patch back on.  Today I'm reading all these posts and now I will get off the fentanyl but I'll not do it CT.  I plan to ask my Dr to jump me down to the 25's for what ever period of time needed then the 12.5's then nothing.  But I'll take others advice about the mirapex and suboxone.  I just don't think my family Dr. will be up on this though.  Hopefully he'll refer me to a specialist.  I had no idea fentanyl was this bad or I would never have started it.  Two years ago or so I cut off xanax CT and it was the worst month and a half of my life.  Hopefully, with the right Dr this will be easier.
If you find the withdrawal to much for you suboxone is a good alternative, if you've read my recent post early today you"ll realize how long it can take. Suboxone is an opiate blocker, A friend of mine went from methadone to suboxone with excellent results. It not only holds you it blocks any other opiates getting thru, closes the door if that makes sense. So relapses become pointless, as nothing happens. the change from one opiate to the suboxone can be a little uncomfortable but only for about 4 hrs then it takes control. Removes a lot of the urge to use others things as well which makes life easier if you don't have a nasty little monkey in your ear. My friend came off the subby"s about 3 yrs ago after been reduced slowly over a yr. She said said she barely noticed a thing, they gave her a placebo for 6 wks , then told her what they"d done and she has been clean ever since. Ask your Dr for a referral. you wont regret it. I wish you the best of luck. ajstocky...
Hi everyone, I've been taking 25mg fentanyl patches for 9 months. I had an op Wednesday for the pain of the disc and I haven't renewed my patch since. It's only Saturday , I feel dreadful, the restless legs is the worst thing, how long will this terrible feeling last? I feel like I can't breathe
Fran
I can only give you my experience, which you may not like but my situation is very different. I,m in Australia am 52 and have been opiate dependent for 32 yrs. For the last 6-7 yrs I,ve been intravenousely using fentanyl and started going cold turkey 26 days ago. 5 days ago I got 2 hrs sleep. then none for 2 days then last night got 6 straight hrs. HEAVEN !!!!!!! I got to the point of thoughts of suicide it was getting that hard. But I,m still here and fighting. After the sleep I have a much clearer mind . It was a bit of a mess up there after sleep deprevation I can tell you. The body is still very weak but I think I,m on the home straight, got to be close by now surely. I can eat more and more each day and the diarea has stopped. Could,nt sneeze without you know< off to loo. I want to return to society, I,ve had to hide my addiction for so long I just need to start again. Its been a very lonely wasted 32YRS of my life. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I wish I"d manned up long before know. My son was burnt to death in house fire at babysitters 32 yrs ago and my spiral into addiction began then and I,ve never been able to dig my self out for any decent amount of time.  Anyway, what I,m trying to say to you is life is worth the effort. Hang in there, don't let the evil monkey win. If I can do it so you can you. I sincerely wish you the very best and offer you every ounce of the little bit of strength that I can spare. Life is a precious gift, don't waste a moment. I did and regret it awfully but I,m not dead yet so plan to make the very best of the yrs ahead as a normal functioning human being. yours sincerely, Stocky
I&#39;m from UK I&#39;ve been on these dreaded patches for 6 whole years and they&#39;ve controlled my life my body wants more so I&#39;m in double pain and my doctor doesn&#39;t understand nobody apart from the uses of these demon patches knows how much control they have I lost my life in the ambulance due to being a day late with my patches good job I was in the ambulance at the Time now I have copd which I know is down to the patches my doctor dropped me from 75mg to 50 mg which was elegal if I didn&#39;t have the pregablin and oxinorm to top it up still had the light symptoms of rattle my 47 with a death sentence thanks to the patches good luck guys and dont forget it was these patches that killed the late PRINCE rip xxx peace and love fellow addicts legal ones
Ive never done fentanyl thank god! But i was addicted to using heroin intravenously for 5 years and the withdrawals were hell everytime so i always went back. I cant imagine what the fentanyl wds feel like. I realized that tramadol helpees immensely with opiate wds and its a lighter opiate than methadone and subs. Also i had to get on cymbalta antidepressant which helped wonders for happiness and sleeping. All your dopamine and seratonium and gabba is depleted. Cymbalta and tramadol for the emotional and physical withdrwals saved me.
I have been on the patches for over 10 years.  I can deal with the restless legs and lack of sleep.  Has anyone experinced terrible stomach pain?  I&#39;m going to ask my primary care doctor to help me.  That pain is so bad I just want to die.  I can&#39;t take it.  I didn&#39;t know they were this bad either.  Why don&#39;t doctor&#39;s warn people about this stuff?